Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What if Atlantis had taken a different direction?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What if Atlantis had taken a different direction?

I know people are going to gasp in horror when I mention this but.. more like SGU...!

I don't mean in terms of more character driven story arcs, but in terms of mystery and original exploration episodes, I can't stress that enough.. More random planets, more lantian ruins, more alien monsters etc. The Deadalus variations for example was a fantastic episode... and original.

Atlantis could have been bigger.. at the size that it was after a year or 2.. I really don't see how they couldn't have found everything and explored every compartment,

In Atlantis they had access to every system (well everything they could power) immediately, Im guessing the events of Before I Sleep is responsible for this but in SGU the fact that they have little to no control of The Destiny has allowed for some very interesting story telling techniques.

They could have made it so that McKay, Zelenka etc had a very hard time operating the cities systems until the later seasons (perhaps after until the return when Helia unlocked everything), this would have really added to the continuity overall because Mckay at times made the ancients look like inbred hicks. Obviously they could dial, manage powerflow but not access the primary systems... Not with the push of a button anyway, maybe activating the shield would require manually turning on every emitter or something of the likes... The main database was completely off limits till later on also, this would have added more to the mystery of it and explained why after 5 years of probably upto 100 scientists sifting through it they've really found next to nothing, surely it has some form of search function in it, if not it definetly has some form of organization to it so if they wanted to find how to cure a specific disease they could just go to the medical/biology section and eventually, especially after years they'd find it.

They could have taken the gene therapy out of the mix meaning not everyone could access every system and it also limited how far some people could explore the city until they could turn off that security protocal built into the citys systems.

The Wraith could have been handled better IMO, they were very goa'uldish in terms of their requirements for humans, the worshipping later on. They could have made them a bit more established in that their entire race wasn't in hibernation, but that the humans of Pegasus were essentially being farmed, that each hive had a specific area of space or number of planets and it was responsible for that area, not letting the humans grow to a big enough number while at the same time not letting their numbers drop too low. A wraith home planet could have been introduced at some point too. And wasn't it said early on in SGA the wraith only had something like 50 hives?? 2 or 3 BC-304s with the asgard upgrades could have easily cut this number down dramatically in a year or so.

The idea of the evil asgard was brilliant, they could have brought that in much earlier on, it could have been a cross over with SG1 at some point too. They could also have been a bit more established in the galaxy, being in constant conflict with the wraith, not for protecting humans but perhaps over territory.

SGA after season 1 just seemed to me to become more like a race to the next ZPM so something should have been done about that at somepoint...

The damage done to the city when it was being flooded during Rising could have been more exstensive, again limiting Atlantis's capabilities.. eventually being fully repaired after the return.

The characters were handled pretty well, and I liked how Earth politics and the IOA had an effect on them, and there was loads of other things done very well in Atlantis, but if these few changes had being made, I really think the show could have been better, and really kept in with continunity..

Am I crazy????
    I dunno what to put in here now..

Originally posted by Puddle-Jumper View Post
    Am I crazy????
    Yes you are, but would have been a little more interesting show.

Even after all the SGU episodes so far, Atlantis is still my favorite.

Comment

Originally posted by General Jumper One View Post
      Yes you are
      I get that a lot....

Comment

i'm starting to be a little tired of retrospective sga-criticism/bashing that seems to be spurred on by sgu.
        but to reply to the topic, no i wouldn't like to see episodes that are primarily composed of a group of people struggling to figure out how something works in their city or ship. i like sga largely because it deals with the galaxy at large and entails the team solving larger problems using the city as an asset, not a mystery.
        R.I.P Stargate 1994-2009

Comment

Well for one NO CONTACT WITH EARTH after just one season that was just silly.

Comment

So basically another "how would you have improved/changed SGA" thread. I don't mind, but there are a lot of these out there. I admit though, I agree with most of your points. I don't think making it so similar to how SGU is now would've been the way to go, but just removing some of the obvious plot devices (no contact with Earth, McKay being 10x smarter than any ancient, ZPMs, etc.) would have made it more interesting for sure.
            sigpic

Comment

Well, didn't TPTB cancel Atlantis to make SGU? So yes they decided to go another direction all right. right to another show.
              Why did you do such a thing, you mediocre dunces?

Comment

i don't really like SGU ... so no, i'm glad atlantis didn't take that direction.

Comment

Yep, I'm gasping in horror because although I had many issues with SGA after Season 1, I'm grateful that TPTB didn't use the soapy, drama-heavy style of SGU for SGA.

At the end of the day, I still enjoy most of SGA, despite my disappointment with the writing, because I still love the characters and the world that TPTB created. My only regret is that TPTB didn't seem to know how to best utilize what it had with SGA.
                  sigpic
                  Sig by Luciana

Comment

If Atlantis took a different direction than I probably wouldn't of liked it as much....

Comment

Well, I think SGA started off incredibly strong. Not as dark and gloomy as SGU, but with generally strong stories and mostly sticking to a more serious approach, but not completely foregoing the humor. But it slowly devolved into something...well, not that good. Entertaining, but truly good episodes were rare later on. They went OTT with the humor in some cases and the "McKay saves the day in the nick of time" formula got so overused that it made me hate the character, a character whom I found to be very interesting usually.

Well, we'll never know. SGA has had its day and it provided the good, the bad and the ugly, just like most other shows. In the end, I still say the good outweighed the bad and the ugly, so I'm good with it.

Comment

Originally posted by asdf1239 View Post
                        i'm starting to be a little tired of retrospective sga-criticism/bashing that seems to be spurred on by sgu.
                        but to reply to the topic, no i wouldn't like to see episodes that are primarily composed of a group of people struggling to figure out how something works in their city or ship. i like sga largely because it deals with the galaxy at large and entails the team solving larger problems using the city as an asset, not a mystery.
                        See, that's one of the issues I have with SGA. The stakes were very big, especially once the Asurans got in the game as well. But they were so big, that it was hard to relate to the situation, especially when you weren't shown what happened, but rather you have Sheppard walk in and say "well, the Asurans just wiped out another planet. Moving on..." Sometimes, small is good.

Look at SG-1. What made the large conflict better than the one in SGA was the villains. They had personalities. In some ways, a few of them were even likable. With SGA, you had Todd and he even became a reluctant ally. Michael was the writers' attempt at putting a face on the Wraith threat, but it was a weak attempt in the end. And the way they handled Torri Higginson and the Asurans themselves meant that they also lacked proper substance beyond the abstract "Menacing race hell-bent on wiping out the galaxy". They could have done a lot ith Kolya, but then they killed him off in a stupid manner in a retarded episode, so that was that.

Comment

Originally posted by reddevil18 View Post
                          See, that's one of the issues I have with SGA. The stakes were very big, especially once the Asurans got in the game as well. But they were so big, that it was hard to relate to the situation, especially when you weren't shown what happened, but rather you have Sheppard walk in and say "well, the Asurans just wiped out another planet. Moving on..." Sometimes, small is good.

Look at SG-1. What made the large conflict better than the one in SGA was the villains. They had personalities. In some ways, a few of them were even likable. With SGA, you had Todd and he even became a reluctant ally. Michael was the writers' attempt at putting a face on the Wraith threat, but it was a weak attempt in the end. And the way they handled Torri Higginson and the Asurans themselves meant that they also lacked proper substance beyond the abstract "Menacing race hell-bent on wiping out the galaxy". They could have done a lot ith Kolya, but then they killed him off in a stupid manner in a retarded episode, so that was that.
                          Very well put, I wasn't really bashing SGA anyway, overall it was a positive addition to the franchise, but it could have been handled in a much much better fashion, with just a few small tweaks really

Comment

Originally posted by Puddle-Jumper View Post
                            I know people are going to gasp in horror when I mention this but.. more like SGU...!

I don't mean in terms of more character driven story arcs, but in terms of mystery and original exploration episodes, I can't stress that enough.. More random planets, more lantian ruins, more alien monsters etc. The Deadalus variations for example was a fantastic episode... and original.

Atlantis could have been bigger.. at the size that it was after a year or 2.. I really don't see how they couldn't have found everything and explored every compartment,

In Atlantis they had access to every system (well everything they could power) immediately, Im guessing the events of Before I Sleep is responsible for this but in SGU the fact that they have little to no control of The Destiny has allowed for some very interesting story telling techniques.

They could have made it so that McKay, Zelenka etc had a very hard time operating the cities systems until the later seasons (perhaps after until the return when Helia unlocked everything), this would have really added to the continuity overall because Mckay at times made the ancients look like inbred hicks. Obviously they could dial, manage powerflow but not access the primary systems... Not with the push of a button anyway, maybe activating the shield would require manually turning on every emitter or something of the likes... The main database was completely off limits till later on also, this would have added more to the mystery of it and explained why after 5 years of probably upto 100 scientists sifting through it they've really found next to nothing, surely it has some form of search function in it, if not it definetly has some form of organization to it so if they wanted to find how to cure a specific disease they could just go to the medical/biology section and eventually, especially after years they'd find it.

They could have taken the gene therapy out of the mix meaning not everyone could access every system and it also limited how far some people could explore the city until they could turn off that security protocal built into the citys systems.

The Wraith could have been handled better IMO, they were very goa'uldish in terms of their requirements for humans, the worshipping later on. They could have made them a bit more established in that their entire race wasn't in hibernation, but that the humans of Pegasus were essentially being farmed, that each hive had a specific area of space or number of planets and it was responsible for that area, not letting the humans grow to a big enough number while at the same time not letting their numbers drop too low. A wraith home planet could have been introduced at some point too. And wasn't it said early on in SGA the wraith only had something like 50 hives?? 2 or 3 BC-304s with the asgard upgrades could have easily cut this number down dramatically in a year or so.

The idea of the evil asgard was brilliant, they could have brought that in much earlier on, it could have been a cross over with SG1 at some point too. They could also have been a bit more established in the galaxy, being in constant conflict with the wraith, not for protecting humans but perhaps over territory.

SGA after season 1 just seemed to me to become more like a race to the next ZPM so something should have been done about that at somepoint...

The damage done to the city when it was being flooded during Rising could have been more exstensive, again limiting Atlantis's capabilities.. eventually being fully repaired after the return.

The characters were handled pretty well, and I liked how Earth politics and the IOA had an effect on them, and there was loads of other things done very well in Atlantis, but if these few changes had being made, I really think the show could have been better, and really kept in with continunity..

Am I crazy????
                            I think they should have explored the cit...I think they should have populated the city but the were afraid to do truely big things like having the ancients return and rather than be pissed off brats that some one is there home...they should have formed a coalition with Earth and the Ethosians and began taking in the people under siege by the culling wraith...

Organizing the people to fight the wraith and finding the other cities in the Pegasus Galaxy to mount a full offensive to destroy the wraith once and for all.

Rather...they brought ENT back from the dead in the form of Wraith/Trip and decided to play the age old...I want you unborn child monster race against time and get them back which we all know they will. That's the thing about a show that takes it safe too often. The plot is transparent and thus no suspense.

Seasons 4 with Adrift and Life line and First Strike were fantastic but that should have been the start of a new error not the same old fight the wraith and get capture and make a daring escape cliche....SG-1 did that but there is difference...they were going some where with classic characters letting the characters bloom and working toward the final result of the Free Jaffa nation and total dedestrustion of the Gould.

Meanwhile the purpose bloomed into something larger than the SGC...the mission became bigger....SGA never did that...you could say the series was cut down before it's prime but it was actually at it's prime. SG-1 never had such....lazy writing as SGA had in the season 2 season 3 areas....like they forgot what there were supposed to be doing.

Comment

i think finding alien artefact powersources would've been better. you know, like goauld eyes and such. that way, we do get some more power but not everything instantly.

i think that Hermiod should've been stationed on atlantis and he should've taken the role Mckay had: a guy who is much smarter than us and can actually do some repairs and operations without stretching beliefs. as an asgard we get tons of dry humor we like, and well it would keep mckay more realistic.

SGA was good, in retrospect it could've been better

Comment

Working...
                              X