Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kino homing device

Howdy.

From events of the last couple of episodes it occurs to me that the kinos should have had some sort of "Home" feature. This would allow a kino to return to the controlling hand device (and the person holding it) at a speed which would likely be faster than the person might be able to direct it, and possibly via a more direct route.

Just the time savings alone would make this a valuable feature, and it surprises me that such a thing was not built into the device... or perhaps it has not yet been discovered. Should this be the case, it seems to me that they are running out of time to discover new features on a device which is fairly basic (by Ancient standards) and also one which is being used very intensely.

regards,
    G.
    Go for Marty...

Originally posted by Gollumpus View Post
    From events of the last couple of episodes it occurs to me that the kinos should have had some sort of "Home" feature. This would allow a kino to return to the controlling hand device (and the person holding it) at a speed which would likely be faster than the person might be able to direct it, and possibly via a more direct route.
    The kino does follow the remote.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Egle01 View Post
      The kino does follow the remote.
      Then why was Eli unable to find it in "Human"?
      Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
      Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

Originally posted by s09119 View Post
        Then why was Eli unable to find it in "Human"?
        The kino followed the remote in "Air", it was said in audio commentaries. My guess is that in "Human" the kino was either out of reach for that function to work or it wasn't smart enough to know which way to turn. It was a labyrinth, not a room with no walls.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Egle01 View Post
          The kino followed the remote in "Air", it was said in audio commentaries. My guess is that in "Human" the kino was either out of reach for that function to work or it wasn't smart enough to know which way to turn. It was a labyrinth, not a room with no walls.
          The kino is a recording device. It would have the path it took to get to a particular location within its memory. It might be stored only as: "go forward 100 meters, turn 90 degrees left, go forward 85.4 meters, turn right, etc", but it would be there. A user should be able to access this information and use it to backtrack that path. It may well be that this function has yet to be discovered...

It seems to me that a kino should itself be able to access stored information to back-track its path to a particular location, say the starting point. Also, using the information currently available in memory, it should be able to plot a direct path to that starting point, or perhaps the current location of the controlling remote, and not take the scenic route to get there, therefore saving time. All it would need would be some kind of homing pigeon feature. Further, it should be able to do this without the user actively directing the return. It should be as simple as hitting a "HOME" button and the device returns automatically.

How hard would it be to include a program that if the kino doesn't receive a signal (because it has gone past a certain distance, or maybe there is some sort of signal blocking from the environment) it will stop and reverse course until such time as it re-acquires a signal with the remote? It could then signal a request for instructions and proceed from there.

regards,
          G.
          Go for Marty...

Comment

For a human-built device using real-world technology, you might put inertial sensors in each and be able to communicate to each other where the other is.
            When the time comes to utilize Earth's best weaponry against an ailen threat. The weapon that will ultimately prove to be Earth's best will be the Zatnikitel
            Zatnikitelman

Comment

perhaps their is a homing function that eli doesnt know about

Comment

IMO, perhaps the most useful form of "return home" function would be to have the Kino dial back to whatever planet the remote is on. That would come in handy if, for whatever reason, you didn't feel like following it through the 'Gate to recovered.
                "From East Middle School. Suzumiya Haruhi. I have no interest in ordinary humans. If there are any aliens, time travelers, sliders, or espers here, come join me."
                - The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya; Best Character Introduction Ever.

"And can we lose the ten thousand year old dead plants?!"
                - Stargate: Atlantis (1x03) "Hide and Seek"

"Hammerheads do not load/unload units immediately – they must descend to ground level first. Initial experiments involving jump-jetting infantry into the Hammerhead’s cargo compartment met with unfortunate results."
                - Command&Conquer 3: Kane's Wrath Hammerhead Unit Spotlight

Comment

Originally posted by Quadhelix View Post
                  IMO, perhaps the most useful form of "return home" function would be to have the Kino dial back to whatever planet the remote is on. That would come in handy if, for whatever reason, you didn't feel like following it through the 'Gate to recovered.
                  I can see that being more useful than a 'come home' button...

Comment

I'd be okay with this feature as well, however it could be a bit of a security issue for the current crew...

I thought the Ancients considered kinos to be a fairly disposable item (easily replaced from elsewhere or perhaps the ship could just make more as needed). If one of these devices were lost it wouldn't be that big a big deal, therefore giving them an ability to dial a gate address wouldn't be an important feature. However, giving them an ability to go a distance away and then to automatically return to a set location, say a planet's gate or to the controlling device, could be a useful feature.

My thoughts were that if I were an Ancient explorer using a kino, it would be useful to have it return to my location automatically, and quickly, rather than my having to pilot it back from where-ever I had sent it. It's purely a question of being economical with the time I have to do what I want to do.

regards,
                    G.
                    Go for Marty...

Comment

until someone/something comes back with it...
                      La vie est une tragédie - Tout le monde meurt à la fin.
                      L'Histoire est une comédie - Les gentils gagnent toujours à la fin.

Comment

Working...
                      X