PDA

View Full Version : 'Pain' (117) General Discussion

Pages : 1 [2]

Chevron Atlantis
May 16th, 2010, 11:17 PM
How are they going off-ship if they're in the void?

It's been mentioned previously in this thread that they are actually in another galaxy already :).

rust
May 17th, 2010, 01:54 AM
This show reminds me of Star Trek DS9 than BSG. I think that because BSG is so recent and fresh in people's minds, that they can tend to overlook the giant nods to DS9. And I'm definitely not complaining, I loved DS9 and still think of BSG in the same way.

With that said, I'd like to say that I'm probably the strange one in the group here at the GW Forums. I never watch the trailers, because I learned about misleading trailers back when I watched the X-Files constantly. They'd build something up in the trailer and the following week it would be something completely different. I can honestly say that with SGU, LOST and about a dozen other shows I watch, I just delete the show from my DVR once the credits hit. I don't bother watching the trailer since I know it never winds up being what is advertised. (Case in point from last week: Smallville's trailer with the Justice Society/Justice League)

Ramble much? So back onto SGU. I loved this week's episode. I'm glad that they had another episode that was on the ship and only the ship. Obviously the ship is supposed to be a character" in a way, and I'm glad to see an episode taking place on the ship.

The Good

The three minutes that I actually believed that Scott was dead.
The superb acting by the cast, especially from Jamil Smith and Robert Carlyle. The fears especially by Rush seemed to bring home just how terrified he is about being captured again.
This served as a great "filler" episode to give us plenty of character interactions that I'm hoping will pay off in the future. Especially between Greer and Wray.

The Bad

No mentions of the previous week's episode.
Eli yet again being a pushover and not reporting Chloe's condition.
James not blurting out that Scott is an a**hole and her "killing" him in front of Scott and Chloe.

The Ugly:

Chloe.. I just can't handle seeing her weepy self on TV anymore. The writers should either kill her off or write her a little better. So far I've just been annoyed with the way she's been written and she's being portrayed by a stellar actress.. as long as she's given something GOOD to work with.
Wrapping up. I prefer the DS9 way of storytelling that the series had started off with.. where every episode led to the next for the most part. I don't mind episodic television, where everything is wrapped up neatly in 45 minutes.. but this show should really capitalize on story arcs that take place over more than just a couple episodes.
Only recurring characters were shown. How about they give a "tick" to someone who hasn't been given much screen time? I'm not advocating for a "redshirt", just someone different to show that the ship does have other people on it besides the main people we see.

MrVivi
May 17th, 2010, 04:11 AM
boooooooooooooring

SG1 and SGA are begging for mercy.

i doubt we will see season 3

MrVivi
May 17th, 2010, 04:13 AM
It's been mentioned previously in this thread that they are actually in another galaxy already :).

thats one fast ship teh older that hiperdrive but iz goes faster

RedXian
May 17th, 2010, 04:46 AM
The Ugly:
Wrapping up. I prefer the DS9 way of storytelling that the series had started off with.. where every episode led to the next for the most part. I don't mind episodic television, where everything is wrapped up neatly in 45 minutes.. but this show should really capitalize on story arcs that take place over more than just a couple episodes.

FYI, Deep Space Nine was largely an episodic series and it wasn't until the last 2 or so seasons that it developed a story arc (taking a leaf out of Babylon 5's book, but that is very tired argument). But even narrative driven series need stand alone episodes to fuel future stories.

That said, I don't agree with your assessment that this story is neatly wrapped up. If anything this just kicked over a few anthills that have been building up since the start of the series. It'll be interesting to see what happens between Greer, Rush & Wray now that Greer's deep seated mistrust has been brought to the surface. Maybe Chloe & Eli's friendship might not be the same now that Chloe knows that Eli won't keep her secrets. Will James be able to keep it together?

The plot of the episode was a rather simple and straight forward, but it was the catalyst for bringing emotions to the surface. It didn't get us close to understanding Destiny or move the overall story arc. But it did move a lot of character stories along.

Oh and FWIW. There was a few casual mentions of the previous episode. There was idle chatter about stopping the search for Franklin. There was Rush's interrupted conversation with Wray, which I will bet good money that he was about to tell her about the intimate moment he had with Perry. Chloe even mentioned that they were in a new galaxy.

Kelara
May 17th, 2010, 05:15 AM
Rush - second ep in a row when I liked Rush. Woo hoo. Although I agree with the comments that it felt a bit OOC for him to succumb to his hallucinations so quickly and easily, and he didn't question them. I'm also curious what he wanted to talk about with Wray - as somebody else said, I too think it had something to do with Mandy.

Good point. Wouldn't it just be the kicker if Rush (as the logic based, not overly emotional chap that he ist portrayed to be) just came out and asked Wray all nicely if he could have some more intimate moments with Mandy while she visited the Destiny in Camilles body? Showing that he is actually caring about consent (opposed to many of the "nice guys" on the show). Now that could make for great Wray/Rush character moments :).

Greer is all about duty, loyalty and protection of those with whose care he was entrusted. After Rush and Wray's little mutiny he sees them as a threat to security and well-being of people he feels responsible for, so it's only natural that he keeps an eye on them and is distrustful. I found it interesting that even in his altered state his mind felt the need to receive Young's permission to do anything about them -or to them.

Well, Rush and Wray are also entrusted to him and should fall under his sense of duty/ responsibility. Not only the people he likes or cares for. It's also a little inconsistent with him being the top advocat of people working together after the mutiny on the faith planet. And you can see that he *wants* to shoot them, which is definitely going too far and hopefully result of the tick venom.

Chevron Atlantis
May 17th, 2010, 05:22 AM
boooooooooooooring

It would be nice if you could write a more constructive post rather just joining this forum to troll. Just my opinion I respect yours. But I've seen what topics you've posted it's been this week's episode and the last you replied was back in episode 13. Annyway who knows we don't know what ScyFy wants and they might renew the show for a 3rd season.

AndSoItBegins
May 17th, 2010, 06:04 AM
boooooooooooooring

You probably doubted there would be a season two as well. But I guess your prayers weren't answered in that case.

xxxevilgrinxxx
May 17th, 2010, 06:11 AM
Well I'm just wondering where are all of the SGA Fans? That's who I was referring to. But Nvm I'm just saying that's all :D
probably in the SGA forum?

AndSoItBegins
May 17th, 2010, 06:16 AM
[I][COLOR="DarkOrange"]

Only recurring characters were shown. How about they give a "tick" to someone who hasn't been given much screen time? I'm not advocating for a "redshirt", just someone different to show that the ship does have other people on it besides the main people we see.

I love DS9 but DS9, especially its first couple of seasons, still mostly followed the Trek tradition of episodic television. Individual eps were self-contained. SGU is much more continuity focused than any Trek series ever has been. You could watch most of the episodes of DS9's first season in any order without getting confused about storytelling and character development. You can't do that with the first season of SGU.

Also I don’t get your issue with the show focusing on recurring characters. First of all there is a difference between regular cast members who get shown every episode (Young, Rush, Scott, Chloe, etc,) and recurring characters who don’t get shown every ep or at least aren’t listed as part of the main cast (Volkner, Brody, Lt. James, etc.). The great thing about SGU is that it has one of the strongest group of recurring characters since DS9 in my opinion but the show is establishing those recurring characters more quickly than DS9 did.

Now with that being said it will be hard to introduce characters for the first time on this show because only a limited number of people boarded Destiny in the pilot and it isn’t as if the ship has picked up any new characters since that first episode. TPTB have to be careful in how they introduce us to new characters because if those characters are introduced only to die in an episode then it becomes a cheap gimmick. And by the way in this ep TPTB introduced us to an Asian female who is part of the military and was part of the away/search teams. Fortunately she didn’t suffer any mortal blows.

MrVivi
May 17th, 2010, 06:42 AM
Just as many of you doubted there would be a season two.

i never doubted s2 its a syfy show so they will try to sell it for another season but if ratings dont jump up drastically it will go down.

And what exactly is unclear in boring for that what it was BORING.

We have non realistic behavior from all of them i mean that is not how hungry, stressed out, constantly in mortal danger people react and behave take it from some one who has had the pleasure of experiencing all three not to mention knowing at least a hundred people who have gone through similar things and all that easily makes me a expert on human behavior under stress and this what we are seeing is not it.

The three minutes that I actually believed that Scott was dead.

wow you must really be gullible

No mentions of the previous week's episode.

ej they brought back Eli, Scott and eye candy chick in like first 2 min of the new episode after making a huge thing of them being left behind. So why does this surprise you.

This served as a great "filler" episode to give us plenty of character interactions that I'm hoping will pay off in the future. Especially between Greer and Wray.

Ya great interactions you have alien poisoned bug shooting you full of hallucinogen and can probably kill you any minute what do you do go screaming for the doctor or have long chats with your daddy.

The superb acting by the cast, especially from Jamil Smith and Robert Carlyle. The fears especially by Rush seemed to bring home just how terrified he is about being captured again.

I agree for the guy playing Rush but you can only do so much with the crappy script.

And another thing that ship zips through galaxies like they are 1 meter wide i wonder why the hell ancients downgraded to hipper-drive.

And Eli, we could see the guy a lot in the beginning but now we hardly see him at all, the writers must have realized that he was being mildly entertaining.

garhkal
May 17th, 2010, 06:59 AM
Hell, at least Park knows her encounters are purely casual.

That would be a hoot, to see Eli dump/dismiss chloe ad go for parks.

When Jack and Sam got trapped in Antartica for the first time, When Jack got tortured by Ba'al, The one where Sha're died, the one where Daniel had a dream that he took over the world (Shi'fu).

In order
Jack and sam trapped in Antartica, Solitudes
Sha're dying, For ever in a day
Daniel going al evil, Absolute power

I can't believe that they went with the ticks. I was hoping throughout the episode that the ticks would be a hallucination too, especially when Scott's tick disappeared.

Part of me thought they might be linked, but when Scott's disappeared i though maybe they were an aspect.

That would actually have been waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyy better. A rogue star system between two galaxies....

That imo would have been something mentioned.. had it been where they went.

Is he afraid of the aliens, or what they can steal from his mind -- which may include stealing or destroying the Destiny ship?

I think part of it is that up to now, he has always had the santicty of his mind to fall back on. No one got in there. until he was mind probed by the aliens. Now all his dirty dark secrets, hopes and fears are theirs for the taking. He has no where his own anymore.

I think that this episode proves just how out of touch some of these people who give out awards are, this episode has been hailed by many here as the worst of the series and yet we find awards being nominated for it. Jennifer Spence had what, two maybe three scenes and she gets a nomination for supporting actress, WTF?! Damn this is exactly like Slumdog Millionaire getting the Best Picture Oscar.

+1. I finally watched that SDmilionare over the weekend, and saw NOTING in it, that i would regard even as oscar nomination worthy. Let alone willing best picture.

Mallozzi said that we would see Scott at his worst and his best was in Water? Maybe I'm mixing it up with something else, but if not, I didn't see anything in this one that particularly distinguish

Maybe he was on about Hallusination Scott, who just got done shagging James and was like "Wham, Bam, thank you mam.. Now i have to go"

SG7
May 17th, 2010, 07:01 AM
Yeah top point this. I have never been a fan of flashback filler eps so this one sits quite nicely above them. Now lets just hope next week isn't a flashback ep.....

Indeed. I am begging and prayng we don't have a scene flashback episode either. We haven't had one yet. And I'm hoping we don't. I understand that it probably makes for less work for everyone for a week or so, and gives a season recap for those with memory loss or those new(er) to the show. But they can be really really boring.

SG7
May 17th, 2010, 07:05 AM
With that said, I'd like to say that I'm probably the strange one in the group here at the GW Forums. I never watch the trailers, because I learned about misleading trailers back when I watched the X-Files constantly. They'd build something up in the trailer and the following week it would be something completely different. I can honestly say that with SGU, LOST and about a dozen other shows I watch, I just delete the show from my DVR once the credits hit. I don't bother watching the trailer since I know it never winds up being what is advertised. (Case in point from last week: Smallville's trailer with the Justice Society/Justice League)

You are not alone. 90-95% of the time I don't watch the trailers either unless I have forgotten to change the chanel. As I too have learned from "ER". That most of the time they are misleading. And having us think one way with them when it actually turns out differently.

carmencatalina
May 17th, 2010, 07:15 AM
This show reminds me of Star Trek DS9 than BSG.

Friend, could I beg you not to use that color for your font? My eyes! My weak and rapidly aging eyes!

senatorincitatus
May 17th, 2010, 08:41 AM
It would be interesting to see the original casting calls to see whether or not TPTB were even opened to the idea of non-white males auditioning for the four main male roles (Young, Rush, Scott, Eli).

I remembered reading something about this in Mallozzi's blog a while back and went digging for it. According to him, they weren't looking to cast any particular race in any particular role; the second choice for Greer was Caucasian, and the second choice for Scott was not.
http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/2009/08/18/august-18-2009-my-top-20-films-of-the-past-17-years-and-still-with-the-freakin-mailbag/

I quite enjoyed this episode overall, but one thing that really stood out for me was the camera work. The angles and varying speeds of camera movement really helped to ratchet up the tension in a way that was not immediately obvious because they use a shakycam all the time anyway. It seemed they put some thought into what they were doing with the thing, and used it to help sell the story. The camera kept pushing in close to Volker, like even the fourth wall was closing in on him. For Rush, the camera was either moving along with him - peeking around corners, running from something - or peering around corners at him, like the camera itself was stalking him. Greer was all shadowed close-ups, with a heavy focus on faces. Chloe's scenes were bright and wide and steady, devoid of dark corners or any sense of dread. I thought it was all very effective without being intrusive.

prion
May 17th, 2010, 09:38 AM
While I still like the episode, it still has plenty of flaws.

First, the medical stuff. Well, I've come to the conclusion they'll never get it right... Riley suffers major head trauma and is okey-dokey now... they squash the ticks instead of saving them for study (yes, put in jar of alcohol, like any vet does), and Scott 'crashing' and them starting chest compressions was way too fast. I read one review where TJ was referred to as doctor'. When did get that diploma?? ;)

And, it reminded me of SGA's "Doppelganger" episode (http://www.gateworld.net/atlantis/s4/404.shtml)

Both episodes had team members affected with hallucinations (difference - SGA had it in their dreams), in both the cause of said hallucinations could jump from one person to another.

And why did they just assume that it was one tick per person? Heck, if my dog can pick up half a dozen ticks, I'm sure a human can pick up more on an alien planet... ;)

I still think Greer needs some anger management therapy has his hallucinations pushed him into the territory of homicidal actions (and Wray would have been toast if Rush hadn't beaned him with the pipe).

I don't think the episode expanded the series any; it is more of a filler, but it just exposed people's fears, guilt, etc.

I still like this one as a guilty pleasure of watching the characters go crazy ;)

Puddle-Jumper
May 17th, 2010, 10:46 AM
The Blue aliens didn't actually board destiny? Ive been looking forward to that ever since that clip was in the trailer.. :(

MattSilver 3k
May 17th, 2010, 10:58 AM
Unfortunately, trailers either always lie or always spoil. Hype has a way of screwing people over who fall into it. Space and Divided aired, and I have a great hunch the aliens won't be part of the finale. Combine that with all the people on the forums here saying they couldn't wait to see the aliens on the Destiny, and then we got the Pain synopsis about hallucinations... it, just like Sabotage's nonchalant return of the stranded trio from Lost, seemed like the outlook the episode would go to (In a rare pesimestic moment). Was I disappointed? Nope. I'd probably be disappointed if it was a bigger surprise.

Lord Zedd
May 17th, 2010, 02:52 PM
I was indeed disappointed. I kept wondering when that scene would air. The trailer is indeed sometimes misleading. I honestly hope that they do not get rid of The Smurfs. Hopefully we will see them soon. They are more interesting enemy than the upcoming ones.

carmencatalina
May 17th, 2010, 02:55 PM
I'm not disappointed, because I was rather spoiled for the episode and thus was fairly sure the aliens were a hallucination.

That said - I hope we see them (or some other equally cool looking aliens) again soon - if for no other reason than they terrify Rush, and apparently frightened!Rush is pretty bad-ass!

major davis
May 17th, 2010, 03:41 PM
Ya i was disappointed. I was psyched about the seeing that clip, but oh well. Maybe a season 2 story.

magictrick
May 17th, 2010, 04:17 PM
Nope. I never watched any of the trailers :)

major davis
May 17th, 2010, 04:30 PM
Nope. I never watched any of the trailers :)

Lol, wise. Though it might be tempting, your now better off than we are.

Taiko
May 17th, 2010, 04:37 PM
The Blue aliens didn't actually board destiny? Ive been looking forward to that ever since that clip was in the trailer.. :(

I remember CBS putting on Flashpoint about a Canadian SWAT team. Every episode's promo used every second that the cops were running with their weapons or aiming to make it seem like it was an action/adventure show and not a psychological drama about cops who were forced to kill in the line of duty. Face it, Universe is not your father's Stargate where you could be fairly certain that you would see action and machinegun fire. However the ad people know who the fans of the fictional Stargate "verse" are so they will play up their needs on the network promos.

Eternal Density
May 17th, 2010, 05:23 PM
Nope, I think the blueberry aliens have had their run, it's nice to have that final loose end tied up.

Commander Zelix
May 17th, 2010, 06:29 PM
Unfortunately, trailers either always lie or always spoil. Hype has a way of screwing people over who fall into it. Space and Divided aired, and I have a great hunch the aliens won't be part of the finale. Combine that with all the people on the forums here saying they couldn't wait to see the aliens on the Destiny, and then we got the Pain synopsis about hallucinations... it, just like Sabotage's nonchalant return of the stranded trio from Lost, seemed like the outlook the episode would go to (In a rare pesimestic moment). Was I disappointed? Nope. I'd probably be disappointed if it was a bigger surprise.
I was also really disappointed. I was looking forward to it. There's no way I would have thought the aliens boarding the Destiny was only a dream or hallucination. They seem so much intent to take over the Destiny, that it seems like it was just a matter of weeks before they push the thing through.

Jumper_One
May 17th, 2010, 07:22 PM
Jeff writes: “By the way Joe, one of my buddies texted me the other day after Pain aired, and said that Eli and James should hook up.”

Answer: Your friend’s name wouldn’t happen to be David Blue, would it?
http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/2010/05/17/may-17-2010-if-you-are-carl-do-not-read/

SG7
May 17th, 2010, 10:10 PM
I was also really disappointed. I was looking forward to it. There's no way I would have thought the aliens boarding the Destiny was only a dream or hallucination. They seem so much intent to take over the Destiny, that it seems like it was just a matter of weeks before they push the thing through.

Yeh I learned a long time ago with "ER" which was another show that I watched, that the promos were very misleading. They were always "edited" in such a way that we got one impression, and when it aired, we got a completely different thing. They would always cut to a line of dialogue, or a part of an action scene, and then back to another line of dialogue. And we would get a sense of something that was going to happen. And would be let down every time when we found out that it was the complete opposite.

Thus why I never watch the previews for the next week unless I forget to change the channel and it happens to come on before I do.

Candy88
May 18th, 2010, 01:30 PM
The thing I always think is most keeping me from getting into SGU is simply not liking any of the main characters. In this episode, as usual, they were all about the most miserable & uninteresting bunch of people ever to board a spaceship. It wouldn't hurt to make a joke or laugh occasionally. Their plight isn't that bad even if they all seem to be in urgent need of anti-depressant medication.

Also, I don't consider slow conversations with lots of long glances into the air to be good acting. Anyone can do that. I didn't consider it good acting when they were always doing it on BSG and I don't consider it good acting on SGU (or BSG2 as I generally think of it as).

carmencatalina
May 18th, 2010, 02:38 PM
Their plight isn't that bad even if they all seem to be in urgent need of anti-depressant medication.

Really? Seems rather dire to me. What with the raging hallucinations, short supplies of food and water, attacks by pissed-off blue aliens, and such.

SG7
May 18th, 2010, 03:11 PM
The thing I always think is most keeping me from getting into SGU is simply not liking any of the main characters. In this episode, as usual, they were all about the most miserable & uninteresting bunch of people ever to board a spaceship. It wouldn't hurt to make a joke or laugh occasionally. Their plight isn't that bad even if they all seem to be in urgent need of anti-depressant medication.

Also, I don't consider slow conversations with lots of long glances into the air to be good acting. Anyone can do that. I didn't consider it good acting when they were always doing it on BSG and I don't consider it good acting on SGU (or BSG2 as I generally think of it as).

Really??? I think the complete opposite. I have seen some of the most brilliant performances out of some of the cast. Specifically Alaina Huffman since SGU's return after the hiatus.

Sure not every scene of every episode has had me glued to my TV or necessarily been to my liking, but then again if it were, I would then begin to wonder as not everything is perfect. And sure, not every episode or scene is going to be loved by everyone. And that's ok. It makes us appreciate the stuff we did like all that much more. And if it is episode after episode after episode that a person doesn't like, then perhaps it is time to move on to a show that they do like more. Not every show is going to be loved by everyone. SGU is no exception. And just because a person was a SG1 and or SGA fan doesn't make them obligated to watch SGU, or make them any less a person. Everyone has likes and dislikes and that is just a fact of life.

Azzers
May 18th, 2010, 03:40 PM
http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/2010/05/17/may-17-2010-if-you-are-carl-do-not-read/

HA!!!

I swear I haven't been trying to start a ship. But if one is starting, I'm ok with it.

I still think the idea can be funny, harsh, tragic, powerful, and unpredictable if pulled off well.

Eternal Density
May 18th, 2010, 04:31 PM
I don't mean to hate on SG1 or SGA in general, but I would rather watch Pain again than Grace or Doppelganger.
Call the plot 'contrived', 'weak', or 'obvious' all you like, but I think what it showed of the characters fit into the overall show better than those other two episodes did. (Grace was about a side of Carter's feelings which wasn't really that relevant to the overall show, a girl randomly singing Twinkle Twinkle Little Star, an alien ship we never saw inside or saw again, and a nebula which we never found out much about. Doppelganger was about an evil Shepperd randomly haunting people's dreams, fear of whales (and maybe clowns or am I misremembering that?) and Shepperd fighting with mindShepperd. Most of the hallucinations and fears in Pain were based off stuff in previous episodes and from the show's track record I expect that at least some of it will be important in later eps.
Phantoms was a better past hallucination ep, though mainly because of the action. The 'character development' was more 'briefly show off that the characters have a backstory' which tended to be the pattern in the past shows (as they were not so character driven) (not that there's anything wrong with that).

EllieVee
May 18th, 2010, 06:36 PM

I've had laugh out loud moments in SGU, usually because of Young's very dry sense of humour.

Can you give an example? I can't think of any off the top of my head. :)

xxxevilgrinxxx
May 18th, 2010, 06:41 PM
I've had laugh out loud moments in SGU, usually because of Young's very dry sense of humour.

I've been loving his sense of humor too :)
Occassionally I'll go back and read the transcripts because a lot of the funny things he says just need to be read again. His delivery is never over the top; it's great :)

EllieVee
May 18th, 2010, 07:11 PM
I don't mean to hate on SG1 or SGA in general, but I would rather watch Pain again than Grace or Doppelganger.
Call the plot 'contrived', 'weak', or 'obvious' all you like, but I think what it showed of the characters fit into the overall show better than those other two episodes did. (Grace was about a side of Carter's feelings which wasn't really that relevant to the overall show, a girl randomly singing Twinkle Twinkle Little Star, an alien ship we never saw inside or saw again, and a nebula which we never found out much about. Doppelganger was about an evil Shepperd randomly haunting people's dreams, fear of whales (and maybe clowns or am I misremembering that?) and Shepperd fighting with mindShepperd. Most of the hallucinations and fears in Pain were based off stuff in previous episodes and from the show's track record I expect that at least some of it will be important in later eps.
Phantoms was a better past hallucination ep, though mainly because of the action. The 'character development' was more 'briefly show off that the characters have a backstory' which tended to be the pattern in the past shows (as they were not so character driven) (not that there's anything wrong with that).

I liked Doppelganger, though I couldn't sit through Grace more than once. Grace didn't make a whole heap of sense. Doppleganger could have been a lot more. I'll reserve opinion on Pain until Friday.

ancientaction
May 19th, 2010, 01:48 AM
(QR)

After watching the preview for this episode, i was anxious to actually see it. But then, I find out that the cause of the hallucinations were ... ticks.... I really...really just wanted to turn of the TV. but didnt just b/c it was some interesting character development.

I am really just disappointed that the cause was ticks... I want to see some face eating bugs or arachnid cats, or green ooze that dosn't clean off. but, ticks... that was kinda weak IMO

SG7
May 19th, 2010, 06:02 AM
(QR)

After watching the preview for this episode, i was anxious to actually see it. But then, I find out that the cause of the hallucinations were ... ticks.... I really...really just wanted to turn of the TV. but didnt just b/c it was some interesting character development.

I am really just disappointed that the cause was ticks... I want to see some face eating bugs or arachnid cats, or green ooze that dosn't clean off. but, ticks... that was kinda weak IMO

As much as I loved the episode, I have to agree with you on that. They did miss the boat on what "could have" caused the hallucinations. That was a huge plot that could have been exploited to the max for dramatic purposes.

Arga
May 19th, 2010, 03:50 PM
Wasn't it the first "stand alone" episode of the series? (one that could be removed from the season, without compromising the story-line).

Eternal Density
May 19th, 2010, 04:31 PM
(QR)

I am really just disappointed that the cause was ticks... I want to see some face eating bugs or arachnid cats, or green ooze that dosn't clean off. but, ticks... that was kinda weak IMOI don't see what's wrong with the ticks. They were hard to find, tricky to get rid of, and caused extra confusion by jumping around. Anything much beyond that would have distracted and detracted from the real point of the episode. And if it had been something horrible/dramatic it would have got in the way of the 'Chloe wanting to keep hers' plot.

Wasn't it the first "stand alone" episode of the series? (one that could be removed from the season, without compromising the story-line).Are you referring to "Pain"? I think removing it would compromise the storyline, partly because it introduces new new galaxy, and partly because there's lots of character development and I'm sure at least some of it will be important later on. It doesn't seem quite as "connected" at the moment but it will tie in better in hindsight. Kinda like how "Water" seemed fairly standalone but then it became important to Time.

MrVivi
May 19th, 2010, 04:57 PM
i just know that i was dying from laughter when i saw a space tick and the scene when in the background you can hear some heroic and uber tense music as TJ removes the tick and Young heroically squashes it with his gun is indescribable it must be good drama or was it to much action that i heard some people complaining around here.

I mean WoW

Where did those people do military training is beyond me. Young finds out about space ticks and what does he do NOTHING i mean at least order everyone to be checked and examined but no he decides to tell no one because its so logical that only one person got the tick or one tick per person or even that ticks cant jump i mean its not like those are space ticks from like 100 galaxies away, OH WAIT THEY ARE!

And this episode is a total re-hash of SGA episode with evil sheppard and at least they had and evil sheppard and McKays fear of clowns and wails that was at least marginally funny.

xxxevilgrinxxx
May 19th, 2010, 05:24 PM
i just know that i was dying from laughter when i saw a space tick and the scene when in the background you can hear some heroic and uber tense music as TJ removes the tick and Young heroically squashes it with his gun is indescribable it must be good drama or was it to much action that i heard some people complaining around here.

I mean WoW

Where did those people do military training is beyond me. Young finds out about space ticks and what does he do NOTHING i mean at least order everyone to be checked and examined but no he decides to tell no one because its so logical that only one person got the tick or one tick per person or even that ticks cant jump i mean its not like those are space ticks from like 100 galaxies away, OH WAIT THEY ARE!

And this episode is a total re-hash of SGA episode with evil sheppard and at least they had and evil sheppard and McKays fear of clowns and wails that was at least marginally funny.

Young had the people that were exposed rounded up and checked. He believed that the problem was contained. When there was more to the problem, he had everyone checked. Given their situation, what does terrifying everyone do if it's not absolutely necessary? Yes, you're right in saying it's a rehash, but it's a rehash of a LOT of sci-fi shows where people come back with some sort of problem that results in hallucinations or sickness or the like. It's a fairly common theme :)

SG7
May 19th, 2010, 05:59 PM
Wasn't it the first "stand alone" episode of the series? (one that could be removed from the season, without compromising the story-line).

I think that there were other episodes like "Faith" where basically they were just moving along in space and found another planet to explore. And other than TJ announcing to a couple of people that she was pregnant, it didn't IMO require previous episode viewing. Only problem we've really encountered with these "could be stand alones" is they tended to explore stuff and leave it "hanging" so that we don't necessarily have resolution. Such as in "Faith" where they could have explored the ruins. Where we get bits and pieces, but are left with more questions than necessary at the end of the episode.

Young had the people that were exposed rounded up and checked. He believed that the problem was contained. When there was more to the problem, he had everyone checked. Given their situation, what does terrifying everyone do if it's not absolutely necessary? Yes, you're right in saying it's a rehash, but it's a rehash of a LOT of sci-fi shows where people come back with some sort of problem that results in hallucinations or sickness or the like. It's a fairly common theme :)

I just found it ironic that neither TJ nor Young got a tick and both were in the infirmary practically the whole time.

xxxevilgrinxxx
May 19th, 2010, 06:03 PM

I just found it ironic that neither TJ nor Young got a tick and both were in the infirmary practically the whole time.
me too
my brain even went to the wierd place that this mioght all be a hallucination for Young, given his feelings about losing people (quickly threw that theory out though :) )
Once they knew where these ticks ended up implanting themselves, I suppose it was pretty easy to keep checking

Commander Zelix
May 19th, 2010, 07:39 PM
Pain was a re-hash of the character drama from the first half. Chloe's father, Scott's child, Rush abduction (at least it wasn't Rush's wife..thank god). So its far from being a stand alone. A first time viewers would find that story pretty boring and it wouldn't be clear what is really happening. This episode simply doesn't stand on its own. In fact, Space and Time stand better on their own (while still being part of a greater scheme)

jelgate
May 19th, 2010, 09:42 PM
Pain was a re-hash of the character drama from the first half. Chloe's father, Scott's child, Rush abduction (at least it wasn't Rush's wife..thank god). So its far from being a stand alone. A first time viewers would find that story pretty boring and it wouldn't be clear what is really happening. This episode simply doesn't stand on its own. In fact, Space and Time stand better on their own (while still being part of a greater scheme)
It is? You'll have to explain that one to me. Rehashes tend to refer to plots not characters

Commander Zelix
May 20th, 2010, 12:19 AM
It is? You'll have to explain that one to me. Rehashes tend to refer to plots not characters
There's nothing to explain. Pain was a re-hash of the 'characters drama' (read: plot) from the first half.

MattSilver 3k
May 20th, 2010, 12:54 AM
Pain was a re-hash of the character drama from the first half. Chloe's father, Scott's child, Rush abduction

I think that last one happened in the back half of the season, but semantics.

Commander Zelix
May 20th, 2010, 12:57 AM
I think that last one happened in the back half of the season, but semantics.
I knew some smartass would say something like that. :P

MattSilver 3k
May 20th, 2010, 01:41 AM
I knew some smartass would say something like that. :P

And I am that smartass. Happy day.

Commander Zelix
May 20th, 2010, 03:07 AM
And I am that smartass. Happy day. Don't forget there's 2 parts in smartass. You're smart and an ass. :P ;)

SG7
May 20th, 2010, 05:15 AM

Agreed. I just got my dad watching the series in the past few episodes or so because he recently got Satelite and is taping them for me because I don't get the channel. (Yes one new convert! :)). And while he said that he liked the episode somewhat, he found it hard to follow as he had no idea of why the people were hallucinating the way they were. Like Rush submerged in water being chased by the blue aliens, Volkar's fear of confined spaces. And most importantly Greer chasing and hunting down Rush and Wray. He had a hard time following the episode. So I don't think I could call it completely stand alone. Yes it was for those following since day one, but not newcomers to the second half of the season.

Commander Zelix
May 20th, 2010, 09:23 AM
Agreed. I just got my dad watching the series in the past few episodes or so because he recently got Satelite and is taping them for me because I don't get the channel. (Yes one new convert! :)). And while he said that he liked the episode somewhat, he found it hard to follow as he had no idea of why the people were hallucinating the way they were. Like Rush submerged in water being chased by the blue aliens, Volkar's fear of confined spaces. And most importantly Greer chasing and hunting down Rush and Wray. He had a hard time following the episode. So I don't think I could call it completely stand alone. Yes it was for those following since day one, but not newcomers to the second half of the season.
In fact, its one of the least stand alone episode of the year.

SG7
May 20th, 2010, 10:06 AM
In fact, its one of the least stand alone episode of the year.

I would have to agree. There was waayy too much information in the hallucinations that would have needed explaining to the viewer that hasn't been following from Day one. Take Greer's hallucination, to anyone who hasn't been following the series all along, would be desparately trying to figure out why he was on a manhunt for both Rush and Wray.

JadedWraith
May 20th, 2010, 11:35 AM
Warning: Random rantingHonestly, I lost interest when I figured Scott's death was just an allucination...;)

12OzMouse
May 20th, 2010, 12:26 PM
I believe when the term standalone is used in this instance it is more because the episode doesn't advance the plot any from the previous episode. True, if you hadn't watched the preceding eps, much of what happened wouldn't have meant much. But in terms of being a must watch episode in order to understand what is going on with the show, it was pretty much just filler.

Not to say that I didn't enjoy it, as it had some pretty good individual performances. But, if you had to miss one in the second half of season 1, Pain would get my vote.

Commander Zelix
May 20th, 2010, 12:34 PM
Don't forget there's 2 parts in smartass. You're smart and an ass. :P ;)
I hope this didn't sound too harsh. I love the guy (in a manly, let's play the longuest fart game together kind of way). Way to screw an happy day Zelix!! *me shaking my head*

xxxevilgrinxxx
May 20th, 2010, 12:39 PM
I hope this didn't sound too harsh. I love the guy (in a manly, let's play the longuest fart game together kind of way). Way to screw an happy day Zelix!! *me shaking my head*...speaking of "Pain"...heehee

MattSilver 3k
May 20th, 2010, 12:43 PM
I hope this didn't sound too harsh. I love the guy (in a manly, let's play the longuest fart game together kind of way). Way to screw an happy day Zelix!! *me shaking my head*

Harsh, nah. It was the nicest thing anybody's ever said to me - Matt Silver: Considered Smart. The ass thing is just part of the standard model.

Now enough with these unmanly niceties. Insult SGU somehow so I can shoot you down like a good little smartass. :P

Commander Zelix
May 20th, 2010, 01:54 PM
The only thing I can add right now is: "32 seconds". :)

Loheat
May 20th, 2010, 02:33 PM
I totally almost enjoyed this episode. The main problems I had were:
1: It was bohohohohooooring. I could care less about Chloey missing her Daddy, Scott missing his kid, and James having a wet dream that ends in murder.
2: There was no real sense of danger until the last few minutes. Apparently all the ticks were are just an intense form of LSD. And I still dont know how they explained their magic "anti-tick" cream that TJ pulled out of her ass.

That being said, I liked the other parts. Volker being stuck in different random ass tight spaces was enjoyable, if not a bit overdone. The guy diggin at his arms to get the snakes out was cool, too. And I liked the back and forth between Greer and Rush and Wray. The last few minutes with Greer on his "manhunt" and Rush freaking out about the aliens had me anticipating something. The problem was, even that was boring. All that happened was Wray got stabbed by a screwdriver, and the three of them stood talking for a few minutes. Then it got a bit more exciting when Rush went on his thwacking spree with the pipe and that door blew up, but it was too little too late.

One thing I would like to add is that the last scene got me really excited, because I couldnt help but imagine what was on the other side of that gate, but then I got pissed because apparently exploring some cool other world wouldnt be as interesting as everyone running around the ship tripping on tick juice

xxxevilgrinxxx
May 20th, 2010, 03:01 PM
I totally almost enjoyed this episode. The main problems I had were:
1: It was bohohohohooooring. I could care less about Chloey missing her Daddy, Scott missing his kid, and James having a wet dream that ends in murder.
2: There was no real sense of danger until the last few minutes. Apparently all the ticks were are just an intense form of LSD. And I still dont know how they explained their magic "anti-tick" cream that TJ pulled out of her ass.

That being said, I liked the other parts. Volker being stuck in different random ass tight spaces was enjoyable, if not a bit overdone. The guy diggin at his arms to get the snakes out was cool, too. And I liked the back and forth between Greer and Rush and Wray. The last few minutes with Greer on his "manhunt" and Rush freaking out about the aliens had me anticipating something. The problem was, even that was boring. All that happened was Wray got stabbed by a screwdriver, and the three of them stood talking for a few minutes. Then it got a bit more exciting when Rush went on his thwacking spree with the pipe and that door blew up, but it was too little too late.

One thing I would like to add is that the last scene got me really excited, because I couldnt help but imagine what was on the other side of that gate, but then I got pissed because apparently exploring some cool other world wouldnt be as interesting as everyone running around the ship tripping on tick juice

wow, it doesn't sound like it was THAT boring :)
As for removing the ticks, it wasn't anti tick cream. It may have been pulled out of an burrowing alien's ass (from Time), but I don't think they're quite at that level yet where they have to get THAT creative for cures, for which TJ's appreciative, I'm sure :) The serum from the alien burrowers didn't kill the ticks, just anesthetized [sp] them so that they could be removed.

All that happened.... :p I'm wondering how Wray thinks of it, LOL!

EllieVee
May 20th, 2010, 04:03 PM

Perhaps you accidentally changed channels for a few minutes?

Eternal Density
May 20th, 2010, 06:27 PM
...I mean WoW ...

And this episode is a total re-hash of SGA episode with evil sheppard and at least they had and evil sheppard and McKays fear of clowns and wails that was at least marginally funny.I don't think 'total' means what you think it means.
sure, McKay's fear of 'clowns and wails' was kinda funny but it suited Atlantis. The episode wasn't meant to be funny, so there were no 'silly fears'.
Also, the drama of people dreaming about Evil Shepperd who was being passed around from person to person and getting worse was completely different to several people hallucinating things that were in most cases relevant to what we know of their characters. Also people hallucinating while away and people having nightmares (with a little bit of sleepwalking for poor Dr Heightmeyer) are totally different.
So, no, not a rehash at all. It was a lot closer to Phantoms, the episode with the Wraith device that caused people to hallucinate stuff and nearly shoot each other and thing dead people were still alive. If you wanted to call Pain a rehash of anything that's the episode you should pick.

MartianManhunter
May 21st, 2010, 05:52 AM
Does anyone know where I can watch the episode online!? I missed it last week and both the official website and Hulu haven't put it online!

MartianManhunter
May 21st, 2010, 06:05 AM
I hadn't thought of that, thanks! I'll give it a shot.

Skydiver
May 21st, 2010, 07:02 AM
Folks

Episodes on youtube ARE illegal. The only reason they're still up there is that MGM or Skiffy haven't found them yet to take them down.

YouTube episodes are forbidden to discuss or share the links of here please.

The only sites that are legal are Hulu, Unbox, ITunes, etc.

Starrtom
May 21st, 2010, 02:53 PM
There is one thing about SGU that I think is superior to SG1 and SGA is definitly the acting. It obviously has to do with the writing and story types. I wonder if the crew at SG1 or SGA had similar scripts and stories would they have been as good. Having said all that another very enjoyable episode, and great character work. I have not found one episode yet that I would consider boring.

The actors are definitly top notch IMO.

jsonitsac
May 22nd, 2010, 01:33 PM
I thought the show was pretty good over all. The only thing that didn't work for me was Greer, I couldn't feel any tension since I kind of figured out that he had a tick.

Arica15
May 22nd, 2010, 02:28 PM
I just watched this today.

All I can say is oh dear heaven.....ALIEN TICKS!!!!!

This was my personal jump the shark moment, I think, after months of looking for, and indeed glimpsing, moments of real promise this was the point that SGU went from promising to utterly ridiculous. The whole thing was just awful, from the opening scene, which was pointless through a bunch of pedantic and frankly stupid hallucinations.....Chloe turned back into the simpering little princess, Greer...well the less said about Greer the better.....

And as I said before, alien ticks is a leap too far for me

I wish SGU well, and hope that those that enjoy the show continue to do so, but I'm done, I'm leaving while I still have some fond memories of the stargate franchise.

EllieVee
May 22nd, 2010, 05:07 PM
I just watched this today.

All I can say is oh dear heaven.....ALIEN TICKS!!!!!

This was my personal jump the shark moment, I think, after months of looking for, and indeed glimpsing, moments of real promise this was the point that SGU went from promising to utterly ridiculous. The whole thing was just awful, from the opening scene, which was pointless through a bunch of pedantic and frankly stupid hallucinations.....Chloe turned back into the simpering little princess, Greer...well the less said about Greer the better.....

And as I said before, alien ticks is a leap too far for me

I wish SGU well, and hope that those that enjoy the show continue to do so, but I'm done, I'm leaving while I still have some fond memories of the stargate franchise.

One hallucination and bug story too many in the franchise for you?

Dusk
May 22nd, 2010, 07:47 PM
I thought it was Greer who didn't like small spaces? Oh well.

Not a bad ep, some nice character moments. But it was from this episode that I snapped and realised that the reason I can't quite get into this show is because it's not as fun as SG-1. These are adult stories for adult minds, but what about the kid in all of us? They're not really doing anything to entertain that precious part.

This would have been more complex and meaningful if they had discovered that the only way to remove the ticks was to overcome their fears so that they weren't afraid anymore. And then the ticks fell off and died. Which brings me to another point. For what purpose would a parasitic organism secrete a neurotoxin that brings about intense paranoia and anxiety? Here on Earth, we know that ticks release a toxin which has been known to incite paralysis, which makes sense in that a paralysed host is an immobile feast for the tick. But a hallucinating host is no more likely to aid the tick in feeding, so what then is the functional significance?

I wonder if they have science advisors on shows like Stargate, or do they just skimp it and use Google?

Arica15
May 24th, 2010, 01:12 AM
One hallucination and bug story too many in the franchise for you?

One rank rotten hallucination and bug story too many in the franchise too many for me yes

akuma07
May 25th, 2010, 03:36 PM
Total filler episode, and not even that good.

This is evidenced by the complete lack of threads and discussion on the episode.

I've never understood the need to shoe horn in crappy fillers, just write a better story!

jelgate
May 25th, 2010, 03:49 PM
Total filler episode, and not even that good.

This is evidenced by the complete lack of threads and discussion on the episode.

I've never understood the need to shoe horn in crappy fillers, just write a better story!
Better for who? One man's treasure is another man's trash

SG7
May 26th, 2010, 03:29 PM
Better for who? One man's treasure is another man's trash

Indeed! Any episode with lots of TJ is all good for me!

And this one fit that bill as nicely as I could have expected for it not being centred around her.

Matt G
June 1st, 2010, 01:47 PM
1. I didn't originally think James had killed Scott but I did wonder what was going on for a bit.

2. To be fair, Chloe's vision was relatively harmless...but she would have had to let go eventually.

3. Surprised the trailered scene of aliens coming through the Gate was a hallucination.

Meh, this was relative filler.

Egle01
June 2nd, 2010, 12:28 AM
2. To be fair, Chloe's vision was relatively harmless...but she would have had to let go eventually.It was interesting that although both Rush and Chloe were affected by the alien encounter, only Rush hallucinated them.

xxxevilgrinxxx
June 2nd, 2010, 07:37 AM
It was interesting that although both Rush and Chloe were affected by the alien encounter, only Rush hallucinated them.

I don't think Chloe has the same kinds of fears though. In a lot of ways, she's pretty brave

Sp!der
July 10th, 2010, 10:23 AM
I think this Episode is with Life the weakest of Season One although i like it more the Second Time around especially rushs and Greefs hallucinations are awesome Other than that it was kinda meh. And i liked the Young/tj Part a Lot.

EllieVee
July 10th, 2010, 09:06 PM
I don't agree about Life but I do think Pain was the weakest episode, simply because the hallucinations were more like little vignettes rather than integrated into the story as a whole. I thought the performances were extremely good but there was no overreaching arc that tied them all together, space ticks notwithstanding.

Blizzah
August 19th, 2011, 04:50 AM
This is the worst episode for SGU so far. The plot was boring (and done too many times to count) and was completely predictable. The whole problem could have been avoided by announcing to the crew the problem and get everyone to come to the infirmary. If they had just told Greer that he was hallucinating none of this would have happened. Additionally I thought they were in a void that would take weeks to traverse, how much time has passed and what planet did they get the tics from. The acting was good. Overall this episode could never have happened and it would have been fine. This was a letdown considering how much I have enjoyed the episodes up to this point.

maneth
January 10th, 2012, 10:28 AM
Not one of my favorites but I still think it was okay. Some of the hallucinations were rather groovy. But getting to the other galaxy so quickly was rather sudden I thought. How much time had passed I wonder...

jeri
January 13th, 2012, 11:29 AM
When I first saw Pain and found out it was ticks, I laughed so hard and loved it! If you are a country person like me, and deal with the little monsters on your pets and livestock and self :eek: you would appreciate the irony of it. I'm sure which ever writer thought up the ticks, must hate them as much as I do!
I was also interested to see that Rush was not so "cool" about being held prisoner by aliens as he looked. He had to be traumatized by the experience, and his hallucinations prove the point. Chloes' were of her father, and the alien thing was not as bad for her, as she was only held for a few hours. Rush had to have been there maybe a week.

maneth
January 15th, 2012, 01:18 AM
Yeah, at least. And it's possible that it affected Rush worse because he tried, and managed, to use the aliens' equipment against them. He got information from them in a way Chloe didn't (except maybe for her uncanny ability to use their computer to find the gate address).

kmiller1610
June 19th, 2012, 01:55 AM
I love actor exploitation episodes, even though the situation is pretty silly.

I give it a 6 of 10.

A good time was had by all.

NowIWillDestroyAbydos
November 23rd, 2012, 04:17 PM
Good episode.

I though it was funny when Greer was going after Rush at the end of the episode. Greer and his conversation with fake Young, that part.

I getting sick of this sex BS. At least they (the writers) get rid of it in Season 2.

I saw that redhead again.

Monday, the Lucian Alliance is back, and we have a mole.

Krisz
November 25th, 2012, 11:01 AM
Another hallucination episode! I like them, mainly for the inventive ways Stargate does the variation on a theme!

This time it's ticks. Anything that sucks blood and injects some fluid into the unforunate living thing to facilitate that action is creepy to start with, and these are alien ones!

Of course it's a great way of learning more about what makes our group on Destiny tick,(sorry, just had to be said!) :P :D

Scott - Always racked by guilt for everything! In this case the son he feels he's abandoned and not there for.
Chloe - Missing the emotional rock that her father was, but helping her grieving process.
Volker - Fear of enclosed spaces, he's clearly not happy to be stuck on a spaceship!
James - Angry at herself for allowing herself to be used by men, lashes out in her mind violently at the insensitive way she percieved Scott used her by killing him!
Rush - Interesting way to see through his seemingly in control facade and see how much he was traumatised by his experiences on the alien ship, locked in that tank of liquid. He knew they wanted Destiny and feared the moment they would finally get on board.
Greer - Amps up the paranoia! He really didn't forgive Rush and Camille for leading the civilian uprising against the military.

The incident in the storage room where the paranoid Greer wanted to shoot Rush and Wray, all the time Rush saw Greer and Wray as invading blue aliens made for a great confusing showdown!

.....and of course, a bit of C4 solves everything! :D

garhkal
November 25th, 2012, 11:06 PM
Tis a pity they never explored that facet of rush more, his fear of the blues..

ZRFTS
November 26th, 2012, 10:00 AM
A major misfire. This is the ultimate embodiment of unnecessary edge wrap around "character development"; in this case, sex, dark unbroding lighting, tons of gore, screaming, flashy camera angles and overly dramatic placement.

This is the second worst episode for me of the season, I can understand what they were trying to do with it; dig deep into the characters, explore their fears... Heck one of the best moments of the episode has to do with Chloe and her dad; it was just such a sweet, sweet moment in that she finally got to have that heart to heart chat and put her mind to ease, she knew it was a hallucination but she didn't care; this was her father, the one who's always been there and the father himself didn't disapoint, we learned a lot about what the connection was with them, what he saw in her, what he wanted in life with her and the fact that she wouldn't let go just made it all the more charming, especially when Eli tried to help. This gave her lots of character and made her more into just a whiny brat.

But many of the moments fall flat; alot of it is just introduced and than quickly dropped. Scott and his son could of warranted some exploration but all we get is one line about "You weren't there for me" in the most flashiest setting ever; sure, we could try to imagine it in the facial expressions but than again, we want to actually see it, not think it. Also this would be the last appearance of his son as the second season erases him completely, even going the extra mile as to change his character's backstory for "Cloverdale". TJ's sex moment is one of the most awkwardest moments of Stargate complete with rock music, CSI like shooting and sex! I detested how the plot started and I didn't care afterwards about how her plot was going mainly because she wasn't convincing in her portrayal, plus I didn't want anything to do with the plot. We get it, you're not a sci-fi show for children. And the one where he freaked out over claustrophobia, I get that it's common but it's seemingly unneeded, this thing is like a test as to how much edge you can take on before you get to the juicy stuff.

Rush and Greer's hallucinations are the only ones that manage to make it through an entire episode but even those are uninspiring. I'll admit, it is kind of cool to see Rush walking around as if he were on an alien ship and Greer being a dude on a mission but there is barely anything that translates to anything major character wise; we get that Rush has been tortured to the brink of destruction and isn't as strong as we'd think and we get that Greer is paranoid; to see what they're hiding is interesting but the more important question is this, what does it do in the longterm? How does it actually effect our characters? (keep in mind that Rush's fassad was starting to break down around the time that "Human" aired.) The situation that they get into is okayish enough as it gives Wray some of her best scenes yet (where she manages to break past genericy and provide a decent dramatic performance, being injured can do that to an actor you know.) but it doesn't make up for the rest of the episode nor does it elevate it to a level of greatness.

I will admit that after watching Revolution's "Kashmir". I do have some admiration for this episode, I mean the characters here were actually trying to do something and at least they managed to include some compassion and life into the thing compared to that episode where all they did was walk around barren subway tunnels all while they rehash what we know about our characters, provide nothing new about our characters and worst of all, include a pandering moment that couldn't be warming if it was near a fireplace. Even though this was mostly a rehash of "Time", they were at least trying even though they haven't got the formula down right.

min min light
November 26th, 2012, 07:48 PM
I didn't watch this the first time around because I saw the words "hallucinate" and "worst fears" in the description, and I hate those kinds of episodes. Either they graphically depict all my current worst fears or they give me some brand new ones that I hadn't thought of yet. Or both. But I did watch it this time, and it wasn't so bad (mostly), and the showdown at the end was pretty entertaining. But even so, it would go at the bottom of the pile for episodes that I enjoyed.

Matt G
November 27th, 2012, 03:53 PM
MIdweek, another ep of SGU...

1. Watching everyone losing the plot was cool!

2. Greer losing it was :eek:

3. Chloe...I had to sympathise but still...

4. "Mr Wallace" I'd be blushing if I was Eli.

OK ep

Lieutenant Sparrow
November 29th, 2012, 01:13 AM
Okay ep.

First time seeing the sex scene was confusing. Not so much this time. Still funny seeing Scott die though.

That soldier had the nastiest hallucination. Ouch. Imagine it all being caused by ticks.

Just remember to take your bug spray.

jelgate
December 7th, 2012, 10:34 PM
This is not that great of an episode. But hey SGU was so awesome that it had less bad episodes compared to the other shows. It was bound to happen eventually. The problem with this one is that the plot is weak. Tick that cause you to hallucinate is a weak story which is only more highlighted on the fact of how easy TJ was able to remove them. It was clearly obvious this episode was written to suit the characters not the story. Some of the things that gave the character the most pain was obvious like Chloe and losing her father. It was apparent to me that had given her hardship. Others were a surprise like Greer and expecting a munity. I had to wrap my brain on why a munity gave pain. Others were just boring like James unable to get over Scott. So we have a weak plot with only some the of the characterizations being interesting. Finally I never liked how we were in a new galaxy so suddenly. A few episodes ago we have Rush going on how vast the distance between galaxies is and yet it is crossed in a episode. Weak idea

Cluas
March 3rd, 2013, 10:32 AM
I liked this one, but it wasn't above the average.
I was happy for Chloe that she got some (imagined) time with her dad.

Baron Of Hell
September 14th, 2013, 07:22 PM
Really liked this episode. I thought Scott actually might have died there for a moment. I think I liked Greer's breakdown best but the others were cool also. Don't forget the bug spray was the best line for me.

CarrieAnn
January 19th, 2015, 03:25 AM
Paranoia in space- its a popular theme and this was well done. I'm glad there was an actual reason for their paranoia and it wasn't just 'space fatigue' or something.

That has changed the relationship of Camille and Greer. I hoped something like that would happen due to the aggro between them. He obviously feels guilty about hurting her- he's full of rage but not a woman beater. Although I suspect he's an android- he's physically indestructible!

Interesting that when Rush is in trouble, the first person he calls is Young. I thought he'd call his buddy Camille to say what's happening? Are the military in league with the aliens? are you alright?

I wish Young had caught a tick and we'd seen what he was worried about. As usual he was just the observer. And I wish he and TJ would discuss the baby more.

I think Eli and James would make a good couple. They're both a bit innocent and cute.

And why doesn't Eli have girlfriends? He's good looking, kind. A bit chubby but so what?

Krisz
January 19th, 2015, 08:51 PM
After I first saw this episode I was beginning to think Stargate had done more episodes on the 'hallucination' theme than any other over its 3 series run! They certainly got the variation on a theme down to a fine art, how many more ways can you find to get people hallucinating?!

I too would have liked to see Young's 'fears', but unfortunately we don't find out any more about him, it would have been fun to see him really freak out though! Watching Rush lose it was interesting, those blue aliens really did a number on him.

garhkal
January 21st, 2015, 09:19 PM
And why doesn't Eli have girlfriends? He's good looking, kind. A bit chubby but so what?

He's a stay at home geek. That should be enough of an explanation.

sci-fi fanatic
July 17th, 2016, 12:09 PM
I'm really looking forward to re-watching the finale, which pretty much begins with "Subversion." But first, it's time to watch an episode that felt quite a bit like an SGA episode. Here's my take on "Pain."

Reconsidering Stargate Universe: Pain (http://www.ptsnob.com/2016/07/reconsidering-stargate-universe-pain.html)

garhkal
July 17th, 2016, 02:02 PM
As with the prior ones, i loved it..

Especially the use of the intro and final music, as a basis for why this ep was going to be much different from the others..

That's one of imo the best things of SGU, how they USED the music to help set the stage..

sci-fi fanatic
July 20th, 2016, 11:49 AM
As with the prior ones, i loved it..

Especially the use of the intro and final music, as a basis for why this ep was going to be much different from the others..

That's one of imo the best things of SGU, how they USED the music to help set the stage..

Thanks. I think that SGU sometimes get a little too on the nose with the lyrics of the music, but they set the tone really well. The intro of "Pain" is definitely one of the better examples.

garhkal
July 20th, 2016, 01:39 PM
I would love to know.. How many overall awards FOR musical score has SGU won??

Krisz
July 24th, 2016, 01:01 PM
As always I enjoyed your latest revisit to SGU. :)

For me the use of popular music was generally well done even though it took a while for me to get used to the fact it was being used frequently. Popular music has never really been used as part of Stargate's storytelling so it just seemed to me like it was jumping on the bandwagon and using it as it was a 'trend' in various TV shows at the time.

Looking forward to your continuing trip though SGU.

sci-fi fanatic
August 1st, 2016, 01:45 PM
As always I enjoyed your latest revisit to SGU. :)

For me the use of popular music was generally well done even though it took a while for me to get used to the fact it was being used frequently. Popular music has never really been used as part of Stargate's storytelling so it just seemed to me like it was jumping on the bandwagon and using it as it was a 'trend' in various TV shows at the time.

Looking forward to your continuing trip though SGU.

Thanks! I'm hoping to do Subversion very soon. I feel like the music sometimes felt a bit too obvious, but when it clicked, it added a lot to the show. I agree that it made SGU feel different than the other shows.