Flashbacks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flashbacks

I loved the flashback sequences in this episode. I think it did a great job of developing Greer's character all while keeping the main story moving along nicely and even using the flashbacks to support the story. They did this with Scott in "Air", but I feel like this was much better executed than that. I hope they continue on the trend of well written specific character centric sub plots like this. I also really like the Rush one last week, but it wasn't really a flashback.

Also, glad to see Eli's "You Are Here" shirt get a nod finally! That was classic!

i hope not ! i like this one but too much flasbacks ... well i personally don't want to hear all the life details about every member aboard the destiny i prefer they stare in present doing things .
    Watching SGA and SGU

Comment

Originally posted by hiro View Post
      i hope not ! i like this one but too much flasbacks ... well i personally don't want to hear all the life details about every member aboard the destiny i prefer they stare in present doing things .
      So you would've preferred that we never find out why Greer is kinda psycho? Or why Rush has questionable morals?

I didn't feel there were too many flashbacks since the episode didn't actually seem to focus on Greer (which disappointed me). I was so hoping this would be like Greer's "Human"

Comment

Originally posted by Fridgefiend View Post
        So you would've preferred that we never find out why Greer is kinda psycho? Or why Rush has questionable morals?

I didn't feel there were too many flashbacks since the episode didn't actually seem to focus on Greer (which disappointed me). I was so hoping this would be like Greer's "Human"
        In Human we're not seeing a flashback it's actually happening in his mind (I'll try it again ) in human he is living inside a particular memory , is not like in the Greer flashbacks that he's only watching.

Don't get me wrong i like flashbacks but when they start being treated as the reality ( 50% flashback , 50% real moment) well ... i simply don't like it ... that's why i don't like lost ...
        Watching SGA and SGU

Comment

wopss double post ... sorry
          Last edited by hiro; 02 May 2010, 01:52 PM. Reason: bug
          Watching SGA and SGU

Comment

Originally posted by hiro View Post
            Don't get me wrong i like flashbacks but when they start being treated as the reality ( 50% flashback , 50% real moment) well ... i simply don't like it ... that's why i don't like lost ...
            But it wasn't 50% flashbacks. I actually felt there weren't enough because it skipped ahead a bunch of time to when his dad was in the hospital and It took me a bit to figure out what had happened.

I dunno maybe it's just me having a different preference but it definitely wasn't 50% flashbacks.

Comment

not in this episode , not yet in this show .. (hopefully never =D)

and about his dad maybe some problems with the fire burns
              Last edited by hiro; 02 May 2010, 02:04 PM. Reason: correction
              Watching SGA and SGU

Comment

Maybe the should have more Flashbacks and add some FlashForwards......wait that be to much like "Lost".

Comment

Originally posted by haloplayer View Post
                  Maybe the should have more Flashbacks and add some FlashForwards......wait that be to much like "Lost".
                  They could pull an Alias .

Greer, Eli and Chloe are inside some strange alien fighter ship dodging incoming fire. Chloe is dressed like some sort of semi nude priestess, Eli is in a uniform and seems oddly focused. Greer on the other hand is dressed in Eli's clothes and panicking as if he "is" Eli. Finally out of nowhere some sort of missile is headed towards them.
                  Eli \Greer- Incoming people, Eli talk to me.
                  Greer\Eli- Oh God, I can't find the shield button. Game over man! Game over!!
                  Chloe- Oh come on!
                  Cut to black
                  24 hours earlier .
                  Eli, Greer, Chloe are in a forest . Obviously some part of an away team. Greer is watching the perimeter as Eli and Chloe examine what appears to be a big red button in the middle of some ruins.
                  Eli- Hey, look at that an actual big red button.
                  Chloe- Are you sure you want to press that?
                  Eli - Hey . What's the worse that could happen?
                  He reaches for the button...

Comment

I don't need half an episode to show me why Greer is a bit trigger happy. A simple 10 second flashback showing his old man drunk on the porch giving young greer a backhander is all it took. Same with the Rush ep. These flashbacks are not that interesting or involved. Surely people do not need so much time devoted to making it so patently obvious what type of people we are watching. Give us a few bits and pieces, let us fill in some blanks and then lets get back to whats going on Destiny wise. Flashback overload man. They are taking 42 minutes to tell a 2 minute story. Thats not character drama, thats just plain boring.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Phenom View Post
                      I don't need half an episode to show me why Greer is a bit trigger happy. A simple 10 second flashback showing his old man drunk on the porch giving young greer a backhander is all it took. Same with the Rush ep. These flashbacks are not that interesting or involved. Surely people do not need so much time devoted to making it so patently obvious what type of people we are watching. Give us a few bits and pieces, let us fill in some blanks and then lets get back to whats going on Destiny wise. Flashback overload man. They are taking 42 minutes to tell a 2 minute story. Thats not character drama, thats just plain boring.
                      Actually it was more indepth then that.

Greer father forcing him to find his own way home taught him focus and to ignore his fear.

Greer father kicking down the bricks and telling him to build it up again taught him to never stop. No matter how tired , how hurt you never stop. So he dug his way out and made his own way out of the maze.

Greer relationship with his mother and father also contrast nicely with his fierce loyalty to Young ( subsitute father figure who is flawed but he backs) and the military. His new family , he will protect and harm what threatens that.

Rush flashback showed us the man behind the myth. He is focused and determined, we knew that. But to ignore his wife dying again , her suffering again even if it wasn't real. That took a mind like a laser pointer. It's one thing to know its not real, it is another to ignore the temptation to wallow in the past and finesh your objective.

Important characteristics such as this are not simply defined by an act there, or a gesture. But by multiple points that help build who they are and why they do what they do.

It's allowed Greer in half a season to have more defining charateristics that poor Aiden Ford in a year and a half on Atlantis. It's allowed Rush , while being undoubtly a driven and at times ruthless scientist. To remind us for all his imperfections he is still human.

Last edited by Tuvok; 03 May 2010, 04:35 PM.

Comment

I am certainly not disputing what you have mentioned above in the snippets about the ep, but I just don't feel that it was entirely necessary. I knew beforehand that Greer is a very loyal man to those above him in the military, which is pretty much the same for 99% of military grunt men. Its not a massive detail that I really thought needed to be nutted out onscreen. In relation to the brick scene and the lesson to that story, it is equally as plausible that his military training would result in him being a pretty tough cookie to track and a bloke who would not reasonably give up. I was quite happy not having to have that explained to me.

None of these characteristics are that outstanding or unique. Most people in those jobs have them so I don't feel the need to know why he has them. If he loved to wear ladies underwear under his army fatigues, that would be something that would be interesting to explore

I guess it comes down to the reason I love Stargate in the first place, which isn't so much learning about why one of the soldiers ignores fear or is loyal. I would much rather that screen time being spent exploring the Destiny or finding new tech etc, things that I already don't know.
                        sigpic

Comment

I am certainly not disputing what you have mentioned above in the snippets about the ep, but I just don't feel that it was entirely necessary. I knew beforehand that Greer is a very loyal man to those above him in the military, which is pretty much the same for 99% of military grunt men. Its not a massive detail that I really thought needed to be nutted out onscreen. In relation to the brick scene and the lesson to that story, it is equally as plausible that his military training would result in him being a pretty tough cookie to track and a bloke who would not reasonably give up. I was quite happy not having to have that explained to me.

None of these characteristics are that outstanding or unique. Most people in those jobs have them so I don't feel the need to know why he has them. If he loved to wear ladies underwear under his army fatigues, that would be something that would be interesting to explore

I guess it comes down to the reason I love Stargate in the first place, which isn't so much learning about why one of the soldiers ignores fear or is loyal. I would much rather that screen time being spent exploring the Destiny or finding new tech etc, things that I already don't know.
                          Um..

So, finding out the little moments that define and help shape them don't interest you but weather or not he wears ladies panties does?

Okay, concede. That too would be interesting. Does he goes for the frilly Lacey kind . Or is Greer more comfortable breathable kind.

The flashbacks flesh out the character for fans. A purpose I feel it served well. A viewer needs more than just to know he had a hard upbringing, or is loyal. A viewer needs to know that his hotheaded hero will go back and save his father despite hating him a little. That the arrogant scientist who seems nothing affects him, is bothered by the fact that a laidback slacker has more natural talent then him.

We learn that Greer is not the strong silent marine, but also a young boy still trying to be a hero his father wasn't. That Rush is capable of incredible focus, and anger at himself and the universe around him.

I think the Flashbacks taught as a lot, and hey as long as they don't become a regular event vis a via Lost then it's both a valid character piece.

Last edited by Tuvok; 05 May 2010, 03:09 PM.

Comment

yeah the ladies underwear thing was the first thing that came to my mind....which is probably a bad thing!!

Funnily enough although I have been sitting on the 'against' side of the flashback fence so to speak, I actually think a bit more on Chloe's background could be quite interesting. Maybe from her wild Ibiza party days doing cameo's on Girls Gone Wild, to when she settles down and makes something of herself. I would really love to write that episode
                            sigpic

Comment

yeah the ladies underwear thing was the first thing that came to my mind....which is probably a bad thing!!

Funnily enough although I have been sitting on the 'against' side of the flashback fence so to speak, I actually think a bit more on Chloe's background could be quite interesting. Maybe from her wild Ibiza party days doing cameo's on Girls Gone Wild, to when she settles down and makes something of herself. I would really love to write that episode
                              Now that is an idea.

I know that most people don't think much about her. But I tend to like Chloe, she is is intelligent and driven but a good flashback would help show that.

Comment

Working...
                              X