Are the gates lacking DHD's?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are the gates lacking DHD's?

that the gates on the world's that Destiny stops at have no DHD? Maybe that was the intent. Maybe Destiny is the DHD? I don't know.

Yes, SGU gates don't have DHDs. On Destiny they dial from a console and off-world they use a remote (and can also control kinos with it).
    Carter: "The singularity is about to explode!"

Comment

Originally posted by Mike. View Post
      Yes, SGU gates don't have DHDs. On Destiny they dial from a console and off-world they use a remote (and can also control kinos with it).
      I think Lost last night was the first time we actually saw the remote's dialing interface, but it was established as far back as Air Part 3 that the Kino remotes were used to dial back.

Comment

Originally posted by Starsaber View Post
        I think Lost last night was the first time we actually saw the remote's dialing interface, but it was established as far back as Air Part 3 that the Kino remotes were used to dial back.
        I believe we also saw it in the Air series, I forget exactly which part, when a couple of the scientists decided to dial another planet instead of go back to destiny. I don't remember if we saw the full interface though.
        sigpic

Comment

I think they don't have dhd either for safety (unknown space and species) or because it was a feature invented for the MW and pegasus versions.
          sigpic

Comment

Not only do the SGU gates (Or at-least, the more primitive ones we have seen so far) not have a DHD it's funny actually, we can use a handhold device too access primitive gates, but we need a giant dhd for milky-way and Pegasus gates, i'm guessing it has too do with the limited control needed, due too the fact that you can only access a handful of gates around you. Not the entire galaxy.

No DhD doesn't make sense to me at least, given that you can't travel far distances anyway, so it's not like another race could use them too outsmart the ancients, It may be that at this time the DhDs weren't invented, so the gate builder just made it so that he could use his already handy device too interface with the gates.

Maybe mass production of the DHD computer would take up too much resources on the seeder ships. Thus this was scrapped in favor of short range bursts using the Kino Remotes and any planets the ancients needed regular contact with could have had them setup later.

Comment

They may not have wanted to artificially advance the species in the galaxies they were sending them to. When they got around to visiting the seeded planets themselves they could bring DHD's with them. Perhaps Desinty is phase 2 of a phase 3 project.

Phase 1 deploys gates, phase 2 scans and identifies planets, then phase 3 deploys DHDs on planets that they would like to colonize. Likewise they may not have anticipated ANY life in those other galaxies, at least not sentient and advanced enough to use the stargates. To our knowledge they were one of the earliest if not THE earliest sentient species to evolve, they may not have bumped into any others, so who would the DHD be for?
              "For now, you are in need of food and rest, and I am in need of armor"

Comment

It could also be that the DHD computers and software are enclosed under the pedestal the gate sits on, instead of being nicely compacted into a standard DHD.
                sigpic
                http://www.nerdtests.com/ft_space.php

Comment

There are no dhd because the ancients wanted to study the universe. If DHDs where present sentient life forms would be able to use it and prosper and the ancients would have influenced other species evolution, something i think that they did not wanted.
                  sigpic
                  - SteamID user since 2005 -- you can add me - visit steam translation server brazil @ Steelbox

Comment

Actually this is an interesting question. They're going from galaxy to galaxy dropping stargates but leaving behind no means of making use of them. Forgive my ignorance here but where the DHDs in the Milky Way and Pegasus galaxies built by someone other than the ancients? I'm not 100% informed on all the lore and backstory so I don't know myself. One would assume that if no mechanism is left behind, and with the ancients gone, being able to reverse-engineer the stargate, like what was done on Earth would be the only option available to anyone else hoping to use the gate system. Might be an interesting "test" of the advancement of any particular species, at any given time.

Comment

The gates were built for destiny which uses remote dialers

Comment

Destiny is the power source for these gates there's no dhd either for safety reasons or because it was not invented when the ancients launched Destiny.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Nataku27 View Post
                          Destiny is the power source for these gates there's no dhd either for safety reasons or because it was not invented when the ancients launched Destiny.
                          Where do you get the Destiny is the 'Gate's power source? If that was the case, then "Lost" wouldn't have worked.
                          When the time comes to utilize Earth's best weaponry against an ailen threat. The weapon that will ultimately prove to be Earth's best will be the Zatnikitel
                          Zatnikitelman

Comment

Originally posted by Nataku27 View Post
                            I think they don't have dhd either for safety (unknown space and species) or because it was a feature invented for the MW and pegasus versions.
                            Or when the first launched the destiny the DHD had not been invente, and by the time they did make it, they were already looking to populate the MW.. So they decided to leave it at that.

Comment

Perhaps DHDs provide the power that enables a stargate to dial any gate within its galaxy. Whatever power source is present in those gates may be only good enough to dial into the four nearby gates and Destiny if she's nearby.

I also wonder what would happen if somebody plugged a DHD into a Destiny gate (or hooked it up to the SGC's setup).

Comment

Working...
                              X