Gene Therapy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gene Therapy

Since these people aboard Destiny are part of the greater Stargate program, won't they have been tested to see if they have the gene? And if so, wouldn't at least some of them have received the gene therapy? There were scientists on Atlantis that bounced back and forth between programs in the Milky Way and the Pegasus Galaxies. Surely the IOA and other administrators would have seen gene therapy as part of the SG orientation.

So - and I know Rush has said that Destiny's systems pre-date the gene recognition - but isn't the chromasome code he speaks of a predecessor to the gene recognition and if so, isn't it possible that SOME of the more advanced systems might be using a technology akin to Atlantis?

Essentially, do you think there's a possibility/potential for a system using gene technology or are the writers ruling it out altogether in favor of mathematical codes?
    sigpic

there might be some system, yes. but i think it doesn't nessecarily predate the tech, it just... hasn't got full-range appliance of the technology. in atlantis it was all over the place.

Comment

I don't think there is, if anything would be using gene technology it'd be to access the masterlock code thingy, if I was building destiny that's what Id be do anyway
      I dunno what to put in here now..

Comment

Destiny tech predates the ATA gene requirement so it's not necessary for the crew operating it. Even if they had it, it wouldn't do them any good.

It was said that the code is a specific DNA sequence - 46 chromosomes (human and ancient). It's a great password, complex enough so it couldn't be guessed unless you knew what you were looking for and you'd never forget it (it's embedded within you). More precisely, it's someone's genetic code, an Ancient's who wanted to "leave a mark".
        Carter: "The singularity is about to explode!"

Comment

ATA Gene Tech was only invented after the Ancients began the war with the Wraith, Destiny far predates the Ancients leaving for Pegasus.

Comment

and the ATA gene therapy as Beckett said 'legal' in the pegasus galaxy because of the FDA approval thing and i assume as we havent heard of the gene therapy since the daedalus arrived i assume that Beckett (and everyone else) has been told not to do gene therapy anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by escyos View Post
              and the ATA gene therapy as Beckett said 'legal' in the pegasus galaxy because of the FDA approval thing and i assume as we havent heard of the gene therapy since the daedalus arrived i assume that Beckett (and everyone else) has been told not to do gene therapy anymore.
              What, I have know idea what you are talking about. What has the Daedalus got to do with the ATA gean therapy.

Comment

Originally posted by General Jumper One View Post
                ATA Gene Tech was only invented after the Ancients began the war with the Wraith, Destiny far predates the Ancients leaving for Pegasus.
                Not neccessarily. The destiny is definetly older then the ATA but we don't know by how much, it could only be a thousand years or so, and that would put it much earlier then the war with the wraight, infact Atlantis had that tech when it left Earth in Rising Id say.. and that was millions of years before the war with the wraith
                I dunno what to put in here now..

Comment

Millions=/= 10.000 years.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben 'Teal'c would WIN!!' Noble View Post
                    What, I have know idea what you are talking about. What has the Daedalus got to do with the ATA gean therapy.
                    i meant that after the daedalus arrived at atlantis and regular contact with earth was established, they would have been told not to do it anymore

Comment

Also the system used in the destiny is similar in the sense that only an "anciet" can utilize the computer system. It does not rely on a single gene but in an senction of ancient DNA.

The Gene Therapy was a sucess with more than 80% (i believe, don't remember) sucess rate in recipients with no adverse affect at all. So it is safe to keep distributing the therapy, also there are hundreds of technologies that we use and that we don't know all the effects. Take the stone as an exemple, even don't knowing how it can the transfere and its complete effect over the persons, we keep using it.

Originally posted by Mike. View Post
                      Destiny tech predates the ATA gene requirement so it's not necessary for the crew operating it. Even if they had it, it wouldn't do them any good.

It was said that the code is a specific DNA sequence - 46 chromosomes (human and ancient). It's a great password, complex enough so it couldn't be guessed unless you knew what you were looking for and you'd never forget it (it's embedded within you). More precisely, it's someone's genetic code, an Ancient's who wanted to "leave a mark".
                      I don't believe that it is "someone" genetic code. This way only that person would be able to use it?
                      Last edited by Steelbox; 03 May 2010, 03:48 AM.
                      sigpic
                      - SteamID user since 2005 -- you can add me - visit steam translation server brazil @ Steelbox

Comment

Originally posted by Steelbox View Post
                        I don't believe that it is "someone" genetic code. This way only that person would be able to use it?
                        Not necessarily. Once the DNA sequence in a format storable on a computer anyone could use it. As far as we know Destiny doesn't do bio-checks, this tech was only used for the Atlantis period.

It's a good password, if you don't have the imagination to use something else or want to leave a signature in your work - like Easter eggs found in software.
                        Carter: "The singularity is about to explode!"

Comment

i meant that after the daedalus arrived at atlantis and regular contact with earth was established, they would have been told not to do it anymore
                          Well, I think they are still allowed to use it as it's safe to use and I doubt the FDA (whoever they are) even know about it anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben 'Teal'c would WIN!!' Noble View Post
                            Well, I think they are still allowed to use it as it's safe to use and I doubt the FDA (whoever they are) even know about it anyway.
                            we havent seen it or had it mentioned so i doubt that. regardless of the FDA not knowing about it, it is still illegal and the IOA would follow those laws

Comment

we havent seen it or had it mentioned so i doubt that. regardless of the FDA not knowing about it, it is still illegal and the IOA would follow those laws
                              Except that if it was proven safe to use, and necessary to use, then I think the IOA could be convinced of its uses.
                              If you wish to see more of my rants, diatribes, and general comments, check out my Twitter account SirRyanR!
                              Check out Pharaoh Hamenthotep's wicked 3D renders here!
                              If you can prove me wrong, go for it. I enjoy being proven wrong.

sigpic
                              Worship the Zefron. Always the Zefron.

Comment

Working...
                              X