Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just How big is gate network that they are in?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

and how far can some one go in it?

and how far can some go in it?

Comment

There's a limitied range between gates because they're earlier models of the gates found in the MW and Pegasus. So, you couldn't dial a gate and connect to another gate on the other side of the galaxy. You would have to travel by hopping from gate to gate to get to other side of the galaxy.

I think, please correct me if I'm wrong, the gates were seeded along a type of 'corridor' within the galaxy. Imagine a circular galaxy with a radius of fifty million light years. Now imagine a rectangular box holding a portion of the galaxy within its perimeter, with centre of the box at the same point as the centre of the galaxy. Now, this box has the same length as the galaxy (around 100 million light years). But, now imagine the width of the rectangle to only be 50 million light years. Because the seeder ships could not place a gate on every planet they instead placed gates on planets within the perimeter of this rectangle and this is how the Gate network is structured in a foreign galaxy.

Comment

I think you mean 100,000 LY instead of 100 million, but still, the idea is the same.
        Yes, the Destiny gates are much older than the Milky Way, but I think the main reason for its limited range is a limited power source. That may be, in part, to its older design, but it may be that these gates were never intended for regular travel throughout the galaxy.
        I find it interesting that these are older gates, yet they have a hand-held, wireless plug-n-play (for new gates within range) DHD with a directory of gates so you don't have to dial by symbols.
        The signature has been destroyed!

Comment

Near the start of the ep, on the map i counted 10 gates in the galaxy, but he said every time they stop their only in range of a small number of gates, 3 or 4 probably. so to get from 1 to 10 a long the path the seeder ship went across the galaxy you have to go 1 to 3, 3-6, 6-8, 8-10 to cross the galaxy.

Edit:
          Someone on team Rush said it's the 10th planet so the labeled planets must have been on a selected path to get back to get them.
          Last edited by yet; 01 May 2010, 09:31 AM.

Comment

Yeah, sorry. I wasn't sure how big the average galaxy is so I just put it in the millions .

I think these gates are considered more primitve as they get power from Solar power or some kinda of natural radiation. While having a remote control is cool the reason for the MW gates being considered more advanced is the fact their dialing device has a power supply tied into it. This allows it to have a greater range.

While having a remote is a more practical way of travelling between gates within a new galaxy your essiential sacrificing effeciency for an easier way to dial. Then again, it's not really practical to use the gate system in a new galaxy and try and travel between gates and place a DHD at every new gate.

It's like Eli said, "The 1.0 version tends to be the most buggy"

Comment

The gates are not OLDER, they are just less advanced.
              We KNOW MW gates are at least 50million years old from SG1 Antarctic Gate.
              I believe their limited range is due to power, no DHD(which powers MW gates)

Comment

Originally posted by GoodSmeagol View Post
                The gates are not OLDER,
                Yes, they are.
                sigpic

Comment

The design is older, and maybe the gate that's actually on destiny. however, depending on how far ahead the seeder ships are, the gates they're visiting may only be a few hundred years old, which would also explain why they aren't all buried by the natural elements (sand, ice, etc.).

I'm still not sure how the network is updated since the correlative updates were done by the DHDs in the MW network. It's entirely possible that one of destiny's jobs is to map the network. Meaning there might be other gates in the galaxies that haven't be mapped yet.

Comment

I also think the limited range is due to power. Something the writers could easily remedy by having human or advanced aliens upgrade the gate system in some galaxies if there's a need to do it. Especially since its the outgoing gate which produce the power for gate travel.
                    Currently watching: Dark Matter, 12 Monkeys, Doctor Who, Under the Dome, The Mentalist, The Messengers, The Last Ship, Elementary, Dominion, The Whispers, Extant, Olympus, Da Vinci's Demons, Vikings

Comment

I also think the limited range is due to power. Something the writers could easily remedy by having human or advanced aliens take upon themselves to upgrade the gate system in some galaxies if there's a need to do it. Especially since its the outgoing gate which produce the power for gate travel. On the Destiny it could even be a software protection to prevent use drain of power from interstellar travel.
                      Currently watching: Dark Matter, 12 Monkeys, Doctor Who, Under the Dome, The Mentalist, The Messengers, The Last Ship, Elementary, Dominion, The Whispers, Extant, Olympus, Da Vinci's Demons, Vikings

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Zelix View Post
                        I also think the limited range is due to power. Something the writers could easily remedy by having human or advanced aliens upgrade the gate system in some galaxies if there's a need to do it. Especially since its the outgoing gate which produce the power for gate travel.
                        Here's another idea for the limited range. Since the gates don't have DHDs to run correlative updates, they each have a subspace beacon of some sort. The beacons have a limited range, so only the dialing devices (Destiny's DHD or Kino Remotes) within that range can detect the signal to get their address.

Comment

Originally posted by Egle01 View Post
                          Yes, they are.
                          No way to know that.

They are less advanced, doesn't mean they are older.

Comment

There's a limited range that Stargates without a DHD can dial, about 300 light-years if I recall correctly. From one of the episodes with the Aschen, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by Alteran of Atlantis View Post
                              There's a limited range that Stargates without a DHD can dial, about 300 light-years if I recall correctly. From one of the episodes with the Aschen, I think.
                              That kind of contradicts the whole SGC dialing in the MW for 10 years
                              Originally posted by aretood2
                              Jelgate is right

Comment

Working...
                              X