Empire' turns 30

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Empire' turns 30

Where were you when one of the most anticipated movie sequels of all time hit theaters? Believe it or not, it’s been 30 years since “Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back” was unleashed on the world. Yoda, Boba Fett and Lando Calrissian were there for the first time, not to mention Darth Vader with a shocking revelation.

CNN iReport and Geek Out want to know what you remember about seeing this movie for the first time. How much did you anticipate it beforehand, and how has it affected you since? Did it lead to any traditions with friends and family? Have you passed it on to younger generations? Did you see it in the theater in 1980? If so, share photos from the era. Did your “Star Wars” collection begin in earnest at this time? Post your photo of you with your memorabilia from back then.

http://www.ireport.com/ir-topic-stor...=437235&hpt=C2
    https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Originally posted by Pharaoh Atem View Post
    Where were you when one of the most anticipated movie sequels of all time hit theaters?
    Not born yet
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
      Not born yet
      Same here.

CNN iReport and Geek Out want to know what you remember about seeing this movie for the first time.
      This is a weird one for me, as I don't remember watching Episode IV or V before the late 90s when I first got into Star Wars. These were the original versions of the movies, I rented from a local video store and I remember they had black cases. I'm sure I saw these before the remasters so this could be anywhere between 95 and 97 but it may have been a bit later as back then VHS releases weren't as important as DVDs are today (to combat piracy). I just know I saw them before Episode I (1999) or before I saw the updated 97 re-release. In fact, I'm sure I saw them before 97 as I remember looking to watch the re-release in cinema to see the differences but never got around to it. Episode VI I didn't remember either until the Ewoks got on screen, then I knew I had definitely seen at least one of the movies in my youth but I have no idea when. Chances are it was aired on TV.

sigpic

Comment

Not born yet
        I wasn't born yet either.
        sigpic
        MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
        "...phu...ah..."
        "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
        Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Not born yet
          Indeed, I didn't pop out of my momma until '91! But ESB turning 30 seriously needs a huge celebration, like....a Blu-Ray release. NOW?
          Last edited by Replicator Todd; 01 May 2010, 06:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Replicator Todd View Post
            Indeed, I didn't pop of my momma until '91! But ESB turning 30 seriously needs a huge celebration, like....a Blu-Ray release. NOW?
            Good lord, you're younger than my 'little' sister (who turned 21 today)
            "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Good lord, you're younger than my 'little' sister (who turned 21 today)
              You old fart.

Comment

Child

Comment

Easy now, folks.
                  sigpic
                  MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                  "...phu...ah..."
                  "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                  Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

I wasn't born until '86. I don't remember when I first saw it since I started watching SW when I was like three. But I love the interaction between Han and Leia.
                    Icon by AceofHadeon Sig by TrueRomantic

sigpic

Comment

LOL at all you young 'uns. I was 12 when it was premièred in the UK and it was the first Star Wars film I had went to see without a parent in tow.

I just remember we could all barely wait for the 2nd film in the series. It had been three long, long years since A New Hope was at the cinema. For the life of me, I can't remember if I knew who Darth Vader really was before going to see it. But it was a much talked about subject between all of us lol.

We came out of the cinema with a WTF? expression on our faces at how everything would be resolved - especially poor Han's predicament. Man, it was such an agonising three year wait for Jedi to hit the screens.

An interesting (or uninteresting ) fact about me. I was 9 when I went to see Star Wars with my dad, and 15 when I went to see Return of the Jedi with my pals. I practically grew up watching the original trilogy.
                      "Captain, you almost make me believe in luck."

Comment

Originally posted by Missster.Freeman View Post
                        I practically grew up watching the original trilogy.
                        So, you're a Warsie then.. the counterforce of Trekkie?
                        "You spent 7 years as MacGyver and you can't figure this one out? We got belt buckles and shoe laces and a piece of gum, build a nuclear reactor for crying out loud.."

"...."

Comment

Working...
                        X