PDA

View Full Version : To end the hyperdrive/FTL debate once and for all

Michael Jansky
April 29th, 2010, 02:20 AM
I noticed how much discussion is dedicated to this, people trying to figure out what the difference between hyperdrive and FTL is.

I'd just like to point out that making a distinction between FTL and hyperdrive is a nonsense. FTL is any type of propulsion that can cover a light year in less than a year, thus, hyperdrive is also a type of FTL. This is a simple point surprisingly many fans fail to grasp. One would expect, since they are, after all, sci-fi fans, they would understand this simple relationship between FTL and hyperdrive, given the fact that this is ubiquitous in most sci-fi.

Warp engines, jump engines, spatial displacement drives, hyperspace engines, fold engines, quantum slipstream engines, wormhole drives, farcasters, stargates, that's [I][all/I] FTL travel, people!

escyos
April 29th, 2010, 02:57 AM
except they are all referring to the FTL engines of destiny

Spimman
April 29th, 2010, 04:47 AM
Thanks for enlightening us all!:mckay:

If you read through most threads discussing FTL and Destiny you'll see that people are curious because within the Stargate Franchise, especially within the Ancients technology, this form of FTL seems to be a new concept.

We all get that anything that travels one ly in less than a year is Faster Than Light, that issue...to my knowledge, has never been the source of any debate. So while your intentions in creating this thread were likely good, the only debate you ended once and for all was the one going on in your head!

Steelbox
April 29th, 2010, 04:53 AM
Why make a new thread about this, Staff Sargent? There are hundreds of them all around the SGU tech forums. Quickly i counted 3 with out dragging the page down.

On topic.
Alas the discussions where not about what is FTL as spimman stated.

Michael Jansky
April 29th, 2010, 02:30 PM
Okay, I admit the post might have come out more aloof than I intended.

Still, while I will freely acknowledge that I do not spend much time at the forums, the few threads I got into carried a lot in the spirit of FTL and hyperdrive being in the relation of two elements in the same set, instead of a set and a subset, to put it mathematically. So I would have to disagree there.

As for the majority, I might have given the unintended impression that I think most of the forum members to have this issue, while, for all I know, it might be just a few people posting over and over.

To
escyos: except they are all referring to the FTL engines of destiny What except? Yes, they are. And I completely agree that the Destiny has FTL engines. But that doesn't deny my point, does it? In fact, it has nothing to do with it as I see it...

To Spimman: First, thanks for the condescending attitude, it was only partially earned! Second, what debate do you think was going on in my head? I'd very much like to know... As for people being curious, why, I am too. And I try to add my opinions into those discussions if I have any meaningful ones.

To Steelbox: Well, Second Lieutenant, the reason for creating the thread is exactly what you said: there are dozens of them and a lot of them get nowhere because some people there seem to be confusing a few concepts. I do realize that a thread like this is not much of a constructive addition, but, hey, I've seen threads created for much stupider reasons (not that I would condone it).

xxxevilgrinxxx
April 30th, 2010, 05:11 AM
I understand the difference but I also know that a lot of people might not, so thank you, Michael Jansky :)

Vitharr
April 30th, 2010, 06:17 AM
as i said in another thread th difference between the two is that one travel the subspace utilising hyperspace as a way opf cheating in a sense so that none of the rules that apply to our space time would apply so you can go as fast as you can/want. an ftl drive while similar as it does go faster than light like a hyperdrive does it doesnt utilise sub space from what we know how this is achieved ive speculated to and thought about myself dont know how but the anicents obviously have a much greater understanding of the universe heck alls it would take is one smart guy to mathematically prove einsteins theories wrong and the way we understand the universe would change all together.

but from what i know thats the difference between the two.

Spimman
May 3rd, 2010, 09:21 AM
This is a simple point surprisingly many fans fail to grasp. One would expect, since they are, after all, sci-fi fans, they would understand this simple relationship between FTL and hyperdrive, given the fact that this is ubiquitous in most sci-fi.

Okay, I admit the post might have come out more aloof than I intended.

As for the majority, I might have given the unintended impression that I think most of the forum members to have this issue, while, for all I know, it might be just a few people posting over and over.

To Spimman: First, thanks for the condescending attitude, it was only partially earned! Second, what debate do you think was going on in my head? I'd very much like to know... As for people being curious, why, I am too. And I try to add my opinions into those discussions if I have any meaningful ones.

I took the condescending attitude from your original post, so your welcome! ;)

What debate? The one you supposedly ended once and for all that nobody else on this forum is aware of!

Puddle-Jumper
May 3rd, 2010, 11:43 AM
Okay for the purpose of this post, FTL = the destinys engines... k...?

The debates about FTL and hyperdrive going on through the forums is which is faster, better, is FTL less advanced then hyperdrive or something that had to be specifically created for the destiny for some reason, why the ancients chose to have FTL and not hyperdrive aboard the destiny.

The FTL is clearly a different type of interstellar travel that we've never seen before, as Rush said its faster then light yet not true hyperdrive, plus it looks very different too and we don't really know a lot about it, so for the time being we're going on assumptions. Most people on the forum are perfectly aware that FTL stands for faster then light and that all the things you mentioned in the OP are forms of FTL. But as like this post, in most threads on the forum FTL is specifically referring to the destinys engines and its form of travel and how its different to hyperdrive, and it is different. Unless you've some insider information regarding the Destinys engines and and things that are yet to be revealed in the show, you haven't started another debate, you've just shown that you haven't been paying any attention to the debates and therefore can't end them.

Ukko
May 4th, 2010, 09:36 AM
I noticed how much discussion is dedicated to this, people trying to figure out what the difference between hyperdrive and FTL is.

I'd just like to point out that making a distinction between FTL and hyperdrive is a nonsense. FTL is any type of propulsion that can cover a light year in less than a year, thus, hyperdrive is also a type of FTL. This is a simple point surprisingly many fans fail to grasp. One would expect, since they are, after all, sci-fi fans, they would understand this simple relationship between FTL and hyperdrive, given the fact that this is ubiquitous in most sci-fi.

Warp engines, jump engines, spatial displacement drives, hyperspace engines, fold engines, quantum slipstream engines, wormhole drives, farcasters, stargates, that's [I][all/I] FTL travel, people!

Is space folding FTL? I thought it was folding space to bring to points together so that a ship doesnt have to travel FTL.
Feel free to correct me. Im no scientist.

By the way, if....listen to me..."If"...haha . When you do correct me or wish to explain anything, please not that if you use a buch of complicated physics terms, squiggly lines and other such things, i'll have no clue as to what in all the 9 worlds your on about.:p

Puddle-Jumper
May 4th, 2010, 03:46 PM
Is space folding FTL? I thought it was folding space to bring to points together so that a ship doesnt have to travel FTL.
Feel free to correct me. Im no scientist.

Well the ship technically isn't moving, but then again its getting somewhere faster then light can on the other hand... Good Question..

BobbyScars
May 4th, 2010, 05:53 PM
OK the main reason why they call it FTL on Destiny is because it does not open a subspace window, allow me to elaborate.

Hyperdrives are devices which can propel spaceships through hyperspace, by opening a subspace window and traveling within a hyperspace field.

The Faster-Than-Light engine, or FTL engine, is a technology used on the Ancient ship Destiny. It is capable of faster-than-light travel without entering hyperspace.

Here are the references, look debate over.
http://stargate.wikia.com/wiki/Hyperdrive

http://stargate.wikia.com/wiki/FTL

Puddle-Jumper
May 4th, 2010, 06:15 PM
OK the main reason why they call it FTL on Destiny is because it does not open a subspace window, allow me to elaborate.

Hyperdrives are devices which can propel spaceships through hyperspace, by opening a subspace window and traveling within a hyperspace field.

The Faster-Than-Light engine, or FTL engine, is a technology used on the Ancient ship Destiny. It is capable of faster-than-light travel without entering hyperspace.

Here are the references, look debate over.
http://stargate.wikia.com/wiki/Hyperdrive

http://stargate.wikia.com/wiki/FTL

Was it said that it doesn't open a subspace window?? I can't remember it but then again I drink alot..

As for the stargate wikia thats notouriously unreliable

BobbyScars
May 4th, 2010, 06:22 PM
Was it said that it doesn't open a subspace window?? I can't remember it but then again I drink alot..

As for the stargate wikia thats notouriously unreliable

Seriously, that is your argument? You say you dont know then criticize the my resources? Please try and keep all arguments within the realm of allowing others to retort logically.:jack_new_anime25:

Puddle-Jumper
May 4th, 2010, 06:27 PM
Seriously, that is your argument? You say you dont know then criticize the my resources? Please try and keep all arguments within the realm of allowing others to retort logically.:jack_new_anime25:

Im not arguing with you??
I was asking if you could quote that about it not opening a subspace window I can remember Rush saying that "it travels faster then light but it wasn't true hyperdrive" I can't remember ever getting any real information on how the engines work at all. And stargate wikia is really unreliable, its useful sure but just because something is said on it doesn't make it canon, fans create and edit articles on it

BobbyScars
May 4th, 2010, 06:44 PM
Here is the scene from the transcript of the first episode.

(He shines his flashlight around and sees a small illuminated panel on the wall by the bulkhead. He presses it and the panel in the bulkhead spins rapidly, then the doors part and reveal Doctor Rush standing at the far end of the room in front of an enormous floor to ceiling window. Outside is a view which shows that they are moving through space. It's not the same vortex as a hyperspace field, but it clearly is space they're travelling through.)

WALLACE: Jeez! We're on a ship?

RUSH (continuing to gaze out of the window): The design is clearly Ancient, in the truest sense of the word –- launched hundreds of thousands of years ago.

SCOTT: Doctor Rush?

RUSH: Faster than light, yet not through hyperspace.

And here is the link, hope this satisfies your suspicions.
http://www.gateworld.net/universe/s1/transcripts/101.shtml

Puddle-Jumper
May 4th, 2010, 06:48 PM
Here is the scene from the transcript of the first episode.

(He shines his flashlight around and sees a small illuminated panel on the wall by the bulkhead. He presses it and the panel in the bulkhead spins rapidly, then the doors part and reveal Doctor Rush standing at the far end of the room in front of an enormous floor to ceiling window. Outside is a view which shows that they are moving through space. It's not the same vortex as a hyperspace field, but it clearly is space they're travelling through.)

WALLACE: Jeez! We're on a ship?

RUSH (continuing to gaze out of the window): The design is clearly Ancient, in the truest sense of the word –- launched hundreds of thousands of years ago.

SCOTT: Doctor Rush?

RUSH: Faster than light, yet not through hyperspace.

And here is the link, hope this satisfies your suspicions.
http://www.gateworld.net/universe/s1/transcripts/101.shtml

Which has nothing about subspace windows in it? Im fully aware of that, I was asking could you tell me when it was said that Destinys engines dont open a substace window? I don't recall it ever being said

BobbyScars
May 4th, 2010, 06:51 PM
http://raoworld.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/facepalm.jpg

Puddle-Jumper
May 4th, 2010, 06:57 PM
http://raoworld.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/facepalm.jpg

Know your place probie....
You can't come up with an answer (thus losing this pseudo-argument) so you throw an insult? Tell me when it was ever said that destiny doesn't open a subspace window??, so far all we know is that its not the same as the hyperdrives we've seen so far.... we know nothing of its speed, how it works, nothing...

BobbyScars
May 4th, 2010, 07:08 PM
No actually I posted that because literally 5 posts before that I stated the answer to that question, but I guess I need to slow it down for some.

OK so in order to get into hyperspace one needs to open a subspace window. You see subspace is not part of regular space, hence the "sub", this portion of space allows the user to travel faster than normal speeds. You see there was this guy named Albert Einstein, maybe you heard of him, his theory of relatively famously leads up to the remarkable conclusion that no object, whether animate or inanimate, can ever, under any means, travel faster than the speed of light. But in subspace the laws of relativity do not exist which is why it is able to travel at FTL speeds, and why Rush is so taken aback that they are traveling at FTL without hyperspace.

Now do I need to make it more simple for you?

Puddle-Jumper
May 4th, 2010, 07:29 PM
No actually I posted that because literally 5 posts before that I stated the answer to that question, but I guess I need to slow it down for some.

OK so in order to get into hyperspace one needs to open a subspace window. You see subspace is not part of regular space, hence the "sub", this portion of space allows the user to travel faster than normal speeds. You see there was this guy named Albert Einstein, maybe you heard of him, his theory of relatively famously leads up to the remarkable conclusion that no object, whether animate or inanimate, can ever, under any means, travel faster than the speed of light. But in subspace the laws of relativity do not exist which is why it is able to travel at FTL speeds, and why Rush is so taken aback that they are traveling at FTL without hyperspace.

Now do I need to make it more simple for you?

We have no idea how the engines work... Regardless of what Rush said in Air.. He also said that the destiny is hundreds of thousands of years older too which is wrong.... No one knows if it is or if it isn't using subspace for now (yes I know hyperspace and subspace are the same).. and im not arguing either way... thats all Im trying to point out.. we don't know for now and your being well something Im not going to say for fear of an infraction.. again know your place probie... helps no one to be rude.... Rush said Hyperspace, perhaps what the destiny uses is a different type of subspace perhaps it isn't... we don't know

BobbyScars
May 4th, 2010, 07:35 PM
Wow again with this "probie" thing, I may be new here but I am not anywhere else, in fact I am Admin and moderator on some other sites.

But the fact is that you have just stated twice that you dont know, how is it an argument to say you dont know then tell the rest of us that we cant know either. I mean it is obvious you are not paying attention when you watch the show because you didnt remember Rush saying that they were traveling at FTL without hyperspace. "So dont come in here and tell me what I do and do not know, I know the LAW!"

Spimman
May 5th, 2010, 08:00 AM
I agree with Bobby, Rush confirmed they are not traveling through hyperspace. I think among most SGU fans this fact isn't in dispute.

Also, I would have to look around to be sure but I think JM confirmed this fact as well.

Puddle-Jumper
May 5th, 2010, 08:07 AM
I agree with Bobby, Rush confirmed they are not traveling through hyperspace. I think among most SGU fans this fact isn't in dispute.

Also, I would have to look around to be sure but I think JM confirmed this fact as well.

Did he? Ahh I don't read the blogs much... I was more taking issue with bobby being so rude.. but again Im not saying anything till we get more confirmation in the show (The writers have contridicted them selves in their blogs before so..) its not really a big issue anyway... Ironic how this thread given its title almost sparked another debate... haha

vszulc
May 5th, 2010, 08:14 AM
We have no idea how the engines work... Regardless of what Rush said in Air..

Don't be ridiculous. He said what he said: "Faster than light, but not through hyperspace".

No one knows if it is or if it isn't using subspace for now

Yes. We do. Again: "Faster than light, but not through hyperspace". Did you read that? FTL. No hyperspace. No subspace. FTL!

perhaps what the destiny uses is a different type of subspace

"Another kind of subspace", eh? Now you're really reaching for it! Hyperspace and subspace is the same thing, and remember what Rush said?

FASTER THAN LIGHT, but NOT THROUGH HYPERSPACE

vszulc
May 5th, 2010, 08:17 AM
(The writers have contridicted them selves in their blogs before so..)

True, like with the whole "Hundreds of thousands of years old" thing.

It's hard to avoid with a mythology as extensive as in Stargate though. Which is why I get the sense that they're trying to stay as far away from the mythology of the old shows as possible.

Puddle-Jumper
May 5th, 2010, 08:33 AM
Don't be ridiculous. He said what he said: "Faster than light, but not through hyperspace".

Yes. We do. Again: "Faster than light, but not through hyperspace". Did you read that? FTL. No hyperspace. No subspace. FTL!

"Another kind of subspace", eh? Now you're really reaching for it! Hyperspace and subspace is the same thing, and remember what Rush said?

FASTER THAN LIGHT, but NOT THROUGH HYPERSPACE

Chill out! Just after the hundreds and thousands thing all Im saying is we really can't take one line of dialogue as being absolute truth, literally all Im saying is we should wait till we get a full explanation on the engines before making assumptions and debating anything... something we'll hopefully get in sabotage.. Is that really such a crazy idea??.... I know what Rush said, and FTL might not use subspace, then again it might.. this is science fiction and things change at the drop of hat.. Im not arguing that they do or they don't..

Im just saying wait till we know for sure before getting 'all up in this' as the folks on the block might say

vszulc
May 5th, 2010, 08:40 AM
I'm chill! ;)

Honestly, I don't think we'll get much more info on it. TPTB seem to shun tech and science in this show. Compared to the older ones, anyways.

Puddle-Jumper
May 5th, 2010, 08:46 AM
I'm chill! ;)

Honestly, I don't think we'll get much more info on it. TPTB seem to shun tech and science in this show. Compared to the older ones, anyways.

Ya Ive noticed that too, which has led to some very heated debates else where.. I love stargate.. but they're so many continuity issues that they've over looked in the past 16 years or so...

BobbyScars
May 5th, 2010, 12:51 PM
Vzulc, thank you for that, it was like talking to a brick wall. The whole reason for my first post was to say that this is unnecessary to have this debate, we know what the difference is and it has been explained so we can move on. PJ you say that the whole reason for this argument you are making is because the writers have contradicted themselves on occasion, oh I have many examples of that but this is not the thread for it, but the fact is they have not done it for this case, if they do then I will argue about how stupid the writers are for contradicting themselves again. But the only thing that should matter is what Rush said, FTL without hyperspace, that is it end of debate.

Puddle-Jumper
May 5th, 2010, 02:35 PM
Ya I know what you mean about the brick wall thing alright... Im not arguing or debating anything with you, your trying to argue with me... Im simple trying to point out that given that the writers have contridicted themselves in the past, one sentence in the pilot really isn't enough to go on, and that we should wait till we have more information on the subject before saying that this is how it works beyond all doubt established canon. Im not saying your wrong.. Im not arguing, just a simple statement of fact.. And seriously stop being so rude, I don't care if your a mod on a million other websites, your not on this.. so just relax...

Michael Jansky
May 7th, 2010, 10:33 AM
What debate? The one you supposedly ended once and for all that nobody else on this forum is aware of!

Okay, Spimman. For starters, please know that I'm smiling as I'm wiriting this, and I consider it a friendly bickering from now on. I do not wish to antagonize you, even if our views differ.

So, now, with this clear, to your earlier point: And I suppose you're everybody else on this forum, so that you not being aware of it makes it nonexistent?

:-)

Michael Jansky
May 7th, 2010, 10:36 AM
True, like with the whole "Hundreds of thousands of years old" thing.

It's hard to avoid with a mythology as extensive as in Stargate though. Which is why I get the sense that they're trying to stay as far away from the mythology of the old shows as possible.

No wonder with all the non-matching backstory they've created over the years! :-)

I believe that is agreement to Puddle-Jumper's assessment as well...

Michael Jansky
May 7th, 2010, 10:41 AM

Yeah, I distinctly remember Rush saying it on the show. "Faster than light, but not through hyperspace." I guess one could always look it up in the transcripts...

tainor
May 8th, 2010, 11:10 AM
I have wondered about Destiny's FTL engines from since it was said that it moves faster than light but yet not through hyperspace. Up until then all forms of FTL travel within stargate were related to hyperspace, as McKay mentioned to D.J. while fixing the Attero Device(SGA) and that our drives are based on Asgard design.

While it is reliable to think that the Alterans would have a precursor to Hyperspace drive somewhere along the line of their existence, their sheer age made it almost impossible to trace back to the roots. The Ori who were ascended also used hyperspace drives for their motherships, which must mean that they are the most advanced form of FTL travel known.

The closest thing that I can relate Destiny's FTL engines of which there are 16 modules as stated in Sabotage episode, is in my opinion an Alcubierre Drive (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcubierre_drive) which works similar, but not exactly like Warp Drive. Basically what it does is contracting space in front of the ship and expanding it behind it, while the ship itself does not move it rides the wave that forms from this expanding and contracting of space action, also I like the pretty colors the Destiny FTL Engines makes :P

Tain :thor:

GenoBeast
May 8th, 2010, 03:08 PM
I agree with puddle jumper on not being able to set in stone the tech of destiny. Rush did say it was not a hyperdrive but for all we know its a variation that actually lead to the hyperdrive technology......possible some ancient found something that worked better so they abandoned that one form in preference to a possible superior version.

Hopefully once they take control of the ship then we could get some explanation on what things are and how they work.

Ekiel
May 13th, 2010, 02:38 PM
I'm not sure the writers themselves have any idea what this FTL is supposed to be.

Imho the only reason Destiny does not use Hyperspace is: The travel visual is a big part of SGU and it just looks better.

So they just invent something new that looks better. It will never be explained.

Sabotage spoiler:
It's funny they get a hyperdrive specialist to repair this not-hyperdrive. Doesn't make any sense.
Maybe it's a plothole-drive ;)

Mike.
May 13th, 2010, 02:44 PM
Sabotage spoiler:
It's funny they get a hyperdrive specialist to repair this not-hyperdrive. Doesn't make any sense.
Maybe it's a plothole-drive ;)

They just got the best person knowledgeable about propulsion systems. Hyperdrives are still "faster than light" engines (even though they have clear differences) but at least some of the info should still apply here.

Dii-Reno
May 13th, 2010, 08:54 PM
Wow, it's amazing how people can try their damnedest to figure out how fictional junk works. Who cares how it works as long as it makes for a good story. The difference between hyperdrive and the destiny's FTL is that one goes through a pretty blue tunnel, while the destiny is traveling in a big pink puff of bong smoke.

FTL = Faster than light = Broad term describing all forms of space travel faster than light speed.

latvian_stargatefan
May 14th, 2010, 12:52 AM
Wow, it's amazing how people can try their damnedest to figure out how fictional junk works. Who cares how it works as long as it makes for a good story. The difference between hyperdrive and the destiny's FTL is that one goes through a pretty blue tunnel, while the destiny is traveling in a big pink puff of bong smoke.

FTL = Faster than light = Broad term describing all forms of space travel faster than light speed.

The best post in this thread :)

vszulc
May 14th, 2010, 03:30 AM
Wow, it's amazing how people can try their damnedest to figure out how fictional junk works. Who cares how it works as long as it makes for a good story.[/COLOR] [/B]

LOL! Best point yet!

OF course, another question would be... If the ancients had some form of non-hyperspace FTL propulsion, why didnt they use it aboard the stranded ancient ships in SGA? With thousands of years in transittime, you'd think they'd have plenty of time to make the nececessary modifications/rigging up a new drive?
And why was this technology abandoned? Sure seems a lot faster than chugging along through hyperspace?

xxxevilgrinxxx
May 14th, 2010, 06:14 AM

green! huge heaping piles of green :D

Quadhelix
May 15th, 2010, 06:16 AM
And why was this technology abandoned? Sure seems a lot faster than chugging along through hyperspace? A sufficiently powerful hyperdrive, when properly powered, can carry ship 3 million light-years in about 4 days. Destiny's FTL can travel for days without moving outside the range of the older model Stargates.

Puddle-Jumper
May 15th, 2010, 06:30 PM
Well we saw in sabotague that destinys FTL wasn't going at full capacity, plus it wasn't ever stated that a single stargate is in range for days

BobbyScars
May 15th, 2010, 06:40 PM
Here is a simple theory that may explain why the Ancients would build a ship that can move at FTL without hyperspace and why they wouldnt use such tech after.

It is more than possible that subspace had not been discovered by the Ancients yet, if you know their tech then you would know that, ZPM's and hyperdrives both utilize subspace to achieve things that are not normally possible in normal space. It is also more than possible that hyperdrive travel (aka travel through subspace) was either, easier or more efficient when it comes to FTL travel.

This is easy to see as we have yet to find any ZPM's on the show and could be something we find out soon. Now again I must stress that since we have been given one thing within the show that says, "FTL without hyperdrive." that is all we can go on. The argument that because the writers have contradicted themselves before means nothing, it only says, "They could be wrong, so they are." its like saying, 1+1=2 is wrong because the guy who told us this was wrong about something else, it doesnt make sense.

Quadhelix
May 16th, 2010, 02:47 AM
Well we saw in sabotague that destinys FTL wasn't going at full capacity Actually, it was stated that Destiny's FTL was going over full capacity, in terms of power consumption. That is why they were worried running out of energy before making it across the void.

However, they didn't mention anything about its speed.

plus it wasn't ever stated that a single stargate is in range for days Yes, it was: in "Lost" they were in range of a specific planet. When Destiny dropped out of FTL due to drive failure, that planet was still in range.

("Sabotage" SGU 1x16 (http://www.gateworld.net/universe/s1/transcripts/116.shtml), emphasis mine)

WALLACE: And on the second night the Kino remote just lit up. I guess I just thought you guys must have figured something out. We dialled back and here we are.

Puddle-Jumper
May 16th, 2010, 04:30 PM
Actually, it was stated that Destiny's FTL was going over full capacity, in terms of power consumption. That is why they were worried running out of energy before making it across the void.

Yes, it was: in "Lost" they were in range of a specific planet. When Destiny dropped out of FTL due to drive failure, that planet was still in range.

By full capacity I just meant that the Destinys drive wasn't at 100% efficency..

Ehhh we didn't really know what time of the day they gated to the planet or how long the days are on the planet... that could have been just 15 or 20 hours, less even... but I thought that was kinda a cheat by the writers tbh on how to get them back to the ship.. just felt very rushed..