To end the hyperdrive/FTL debate once and for all

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To end the hyperdrive/FTL debate once and for all

I noticed how much discussion is dedicated to this, people trying to figure out what the difference between hyperdrive and FTL is.

I'd just like to point out that making a distinction between FTL and hyperdrive is a nonsense. FTL is any type of propulsion that can cover a light year in less than a year, thus, hyperdrive is also a type of FTL. This is a simple point surprisingly many fans fail to grasp. One would expect, since they are, after all, sci-fi fans, they would understand this simple relationship between FTL and hyperdrive, given the fact that this is ubiquitous in most sci-fi.

Warp engines, jump engines, spatial displacement drives, hyperspace engines, fold engines, quantum slipstream engines, wormhole drives, farcasters, stargates, that's [I][all/I] FTL travel, people!

except they are all referring to the FTL engines of destiny

Comment

Thanks for enlightening us all!

If you read through most threads discussing FTL and Destiny you'll see that people are curious because within the Stargate Franchise, especially within the Ancients technology, this form of FTL seems to be a new concept.

We all get that anything that travels one ly in less than a year is Faster Than Light, that issue...to my knowledge, has never been the source of any debate. So while your intentions in creating this thread were likely good, the only debate you ended once and for all was the one going on in your head!
      sigpic

Comment

Why make a new thread about this, Staff Sargent? There are hundreds of them all around the SGU tech forums. Quickly i counted 3 with out dragging the page down.

On topic.
        Alas the discussions where not about what is FTL as spimman stated.
        sigpic
        - SteamID user since 2005 -- you can add me - visit steam translation server brazil @ Steelbox

Comment

Okay, I admit the post might have come out more aloof than I intended.

Still, while I will freely acknowledge that I do not spend much time at the forums, the few threads I got into carried a lot in the spirit of FTL and hyperdrive being in the relation of two elements in the same set, instead of a set and a subset, to put it mathematically. So I would have to disagree there.

As for the majority, I might have given the unintended impression that I think most of the forum members to have this issue, while, for all I know, it might be just a few people posting over and over.

To
          escyos: except they are all referring to the FTL engines of destiny
          What except? Yes, they are. And I completely agree that the Destiny has FTL engines. But that doesn't deny my point, does it? In fact, it has nothing to do with it as I see it...

To Spimman: First, thanks for the condescending attitude, it was only partially earned! Second, what debate do you think was going on in my head? I'd very much like to know... As for people being curious, why, I am too. And I try to add my opinions into those discussions if I have any meaningful ones.

To Steelbox: Well, Second Lieutenant, the reason for creating the thread is exactly what you said: there are dozens of them and a lot of them get nowhere because some people there seem to be confusing a few concepts. I do realize that a thread like this is not much of a constructive addition, but, hey, I've seen threads created for much stupider reasons (not that I would condone it).

Comment

I understand the difference but I also know that a lot of people might not, so thank you, Michael Jansky
            sigpic

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

Comment

as i said in another thread th difference between the two is that one travel the subspace utilising hyperspace as a way opf cheating in a sense so that none of the rules that apply to our space time would apply so you can go as fast as you can/want. an ftl drive while similar as it does go faster than light like a hyperdrive does it doesnt utilise sub space from what we know how this is achieved ive speculated to and thought about myself dont know how but the anicents obviously have a much greater understanding of the universe heck alls it would take is one smart guy to mathematically prove einsteins theories wrong and the way we understand the universe would change all together.

but from what i know thats the difference between the two.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Jansky View Post
                This is a simple point surprisingly many fans fail to grasp. One would expect, since they are, after all, sci-fi fans, they would understand this simple relationship between FTL and hyperdrive, given the fact that this is ubiquitous in most sci-fi.
                Okay, I admit the post might have come out more aloof than I intended.

As for the majority, I might have given the unintended impression that I think most of the forum members to have this issue, while, for all I know, it might be just a few people posting over and over.

To Spimman: First, thanks for the condescending attitude, it was only partially earned! Second, what debate do you think was going on in my head? I'd very much like to know... As for people being curious, why, I am too. And I try to add my opinions into those discussions if I have any meaningful ones.
                I took the condescending attitude from your original post, so your welcome!

What debate? The one you supposedly ended once and for all that nobody else on this forum is aware of!
                sigpic

Comment

Okay for the purpose of this post, FTL = the destinys engines... k...?

The debates about FTL and hyperdrive going on through the forums is which is faster, better, is FTL less advanced then hyperdrive or something that had to be specifically created for the destiny for some reason, why the ancients chose to have FTL and not hyperdrive aboard the destiny.

The FTL is clearly a different type of interstellar travel that we've never seen before, as Rush said its faster then light yet not true hyperdrive, plus it looks very different too and we don't really know a lot about it, so for the time being we're going on assumptions. Most people on the forum are perfectly aware that FTL stands for faster then light and that all the things you mentioned in the OP are forms of FTL. But as like this post, in most threads on the forum FTL is specifically referring to the destinys engines and its form of travel and how its different to hyperdrive, and it is different. Unless you've some insider information regarding the Destinys engines and and things that are yet to be revealed in the show, you haven't started another debate, you've just shown that you haven't been paying any attention to the debates and therefore can't end them.
                  I dunno what to put in here now..

Comment

I noticed how much discussion is dedicated to this, people trying to figure out what the difference between hyperdrive and FTL is.

I'd just like to point out that making a distinction between FTL and hyperdrive is a nonsense. FTL is any type of propulsion that can cover a light year in less than a year, thus, hyperdrive is also a type of FTL. This is a simple point surprisingly many fans fail to grasp. One would expect, since they are, after all, sci-fi fans, they would understand this simple relationship between FTL and hyperdrive, given the fact that this is ubiquitous in most sci-fi.

Warp engines, jump engines, spatial displacement drives, hyperspace engines, fold engines, quantum slipstream engines, wormhole drives, farcasters, stargates, that's [I][all/I] FTL travel, people!
                    Is space folding FTL? I thought it was folding space to bring to points together so that a ship doesnt have to travel FTL.
                    Feel free to correct me. Im no scientist.

By the way, if....listen to me..."If"...haha . When you do correct me or wish to explain anything, please not that if you use a buch of complicated physics terms, squiggly lines and other such things, i'll have no clue as to what in all the 9 worlds your on about.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ukko View Post
                      Is space folding FTL? I thought it was folding space to bring to points together so that a ship doesnt have to travel FTL.
                      Feel free to correct me. Im no scientist.
                      Well the ship technically isn't moving, but then again its getting somewhere faster then light can on the other hand... Good Question..

Comment

OK the main reason why they call it FTL on Destiny is because it does not open a subspace window, allow me to elaborate.

Hyperdrives are devices which can propel spaceships through hyperspace, by opening a subspace window and traveling within a hyperspace field.

The Faster-Than-Light engine, or FTL engine, is a technology used on the Ancient ship Destiny. It is capable of faster-than-light travel without entering hyperspace.

Here are the references, look debate over.
                        http://stargate.wikia.com/wiki/Hyperdrive

http://stargate.wikia.com/wiki/FTL

Comment

Originally posted by BobbyScars View Post
                          OK the main reason why they call it FTL on Destiny is because it does not open a subspace window, allow me to elaborate.

Hyperdrives are devices which can propel spaceships through hyperspace, by opening a subspace window and traveling within a hyperspace field.

The Faster-Than-Light engine, or FTL engine, is a technology used on the Ancient ship Destiny. It is capable of faster-than-light travel without entering hyperspace.

Here are the references, look debate over.
                          http://stargate.wikia.com/wiki/Hyperdrive

http://stargate.wikia.com/wiki/FTL
                          Was it said that it doesn't open a subspace window?? I can't remember it but then again I drink alot..

As for the stargate wikia thats notouriously unreliable

Comment

Originally posted by Puddle-Jumper View Post
                            Was it said that it doesn't open a subspace window?? I can't remember it but then again I drink alot..

As for the stargate wikia thats notouriously unreliable
                            Seriously, that is your argument? You say you dont know then criticize the my resources? Please try and keep all arguments within the realm of allowing others to retort logically.

Comment

Originally posted by BobbyScars View Post
                              Seriously, that is your argument? You say you dont know then criticize the my resources? Please try and keep all arguments within the realm of allowing others to retort logically.
                              Im not arguing with you??
                              I was asking if you could quote that about it not opening a subspace window I can remember Rush saying that "it travels faster then light but it wasn't true hyperdrive" I can't remember ever getting any real information on how the engines work at all. And stargate wikia is really unreliable, its useful sure but just because something is said on it doesn't make it canon, fans create and edit articles on it

Comment

Working...
                              X