PDA

View Full Version : Gate Impact on other Species.

Mr.Xcelent
April 27th, 2010, 06:06 AM
If a race can build a star & planet, advance deep space ship's (smurfs), could they not figure out how the gates worked. We figured it out on earth with no DHD to use. Could not another race do the same out there where ever the Destiny is travailing through. And if so what impact would it have on that galaxy? and I already know the gates from destiny uses a remote to dial. But I find it hard to believe that no one alien race can think up to try varying radio waves to see if it may generate a response. It would be cool to see Destiny come out of FTL one season in a Galaxy where an Empire has formed over the centuries from an Alien races learning how to use the gates and as result either unified there sector of space, if not rule it with an Alien titanium Fist. And picking up that Destiny is the same tech architecture type as the gates makes it the greatest sought after prize in there galaxy. :thoranime07:

Mike.
April 27th, 2010, 07:30 AM
It would be cool to see [...] an Empire has formed over the centuries from an Alien races learning how to use the gates and as result either unified there sector of space, if not rule it with an Alien titanium Fist. And picking up that Destiny is the same tech architecture type as the gates makes it the greatest sought after prize in there galaxy.

Great idea. They should give them a strange name, maybe with an apostrophe. Call them "Goa'uld". Yeah, that's it.

malfunction
April 27th, 2010, 12:40 PM
Great idea. They should give them a strange name, maybe with an apostrophe. Call them "Goa'uld". Yeah, that's it.

It may have been done before, but it is logical that other alien races can use the stargates for their own ends, the Wraith rely on the stargates to travel around a lot of Pegasus and it is likely that they were the race who put the spacegates in orbit around planets and not the Lanteans. Earth built it's own DHD on a more sophisticated stargate, any race could do it as well. They wouldn't be able to make the stargates dial planets all over the galaxy, but making them do what they are designed to do wouldn't be a struggle for the species that built that star, or the race that is already following Destiny.

in the trailer for the second half of the series that species was seen coming aboard Destiny through the stargate, so it has already happened

Mike.
April 27th, 2010, 03:09 PM
It may have been done before, but it is logical that other alien races can use the stargates for their own ends, the Wraith rely on the stargates to travel around a lot of Pegasus and it is likely that they were the race who put the spacegates in orbit around planets and not the Lanteans. Earth built it's own DHD on a more sophisticated stargate, any race could do it as well. They wouldn't be able to make the stargates dial planets all over the galaxy, but making them do what they are designed to do wouldn't be a struggle for the species that built that star, or the race that is already following Destiny.

Sure, it's possible, but the Enemy Empire in a galaxy, as the Big Bad, doesn't fit SGU's format.
Destiny travels to a different area of space every episode, (so after a while it would no longer be in any danger) and by the end of the season it will leave the galaxy. To fight such an enemy they would need to find a reason to stay, so far there is none. There are no humans this far out and the race that made that solar system seems to be advanced enough to take care of itself. Unless the writers seriously shake things up, I just don't see it.

in the trailer for the second half of the series that species was seen coming aboard Destiny through the stargate, so it has already happened

That's what I'm thinking, if the writers choose that route. Not only can they use it but they also figured out Destiny's address. But I don't think we'll spend large amount of time having the blue aliens as antagonists, certainly not an eight season arc like in SG1 (or a five season arc like Atlantis).

escyos
April 27th, 2010, 05:54 PM
even if they did, they would have to try ever permentation on the gate to reach the other gates.....and as we have seen a limited range and less gates in each area mean that they would have to keep trying each world tryign to reach more and more.....kind of like having to jump across a bunch of rocks instead of just swinging across.

elitewolverine
April 27th, 2010, 06:44 PM
we only know the lack of range because either 1. power 2. no dhd to store planetary shift data of a entire galaxy network

if 2 is the only problem then a race advance enough to use the stargates without a dhd or kino, and have knowledge of any space travel, they would know of planetary shift. They would work around that, and the power problems...

and if all else fails, i dont see why a race that advanced to build a star system wouldnt be able to backwards engineer their own gates for their own purpose...

but that would definately be a little story arc...we leave with the ship, the aliens are like wtf, and use their knowledge of stargates to gate to other galaxies, including our own, avalon, ida, pegasus...lol but alas i dont think the writers are looking for a 'gate' series they want a bsg/voyager series

thekillman
April 27th, 2010, 10:36 PM
i think the starbuilders are dead. but thats just IMO.

i think that the concept will be explored later. i would like to see a race that uses them but isn't terribly advanced. but it would be funny, we dial a gate..... and find a DHD. and then we're like "Huh?"

escyos
April 27th, 2010, 10:53 PM
still there is no cartouche or information on any gate on any planet. they would still need to run every address to find a lock, that and figure out that they need 7 symbols, one which is a point of origin, and they also have to find out which is the point of origin too.

sure would be a LONG task to complete on each planet to find more gates

thekillman
April 27th, 2010, 11:11 PM
actually no. if they figure out the coordinate system and then use a star map, they can calculate adresses to stars and then dial those.

escyos
April 27th, 2010, 11:14 PM
actually no. if they figure out the coordinate system and then use a star map, they can calculate adresses to stars and then dial those.

yes but they would need to try every star to find a gate, and there would be stars they cant see

Mike.
April 28th, 2010, 04:49 AM
yes but they would need to try every star to find a gate, and there would be stars they cant see

And many stars don't have planets with stargates on them.

jds1982
April 28th, 2010, 05:04 AM
Well, they could always build their own gates based on the SGU gates. That might be an interesting episode.

beafly
April 28th, 2010, 11:30 AM

i think that the concept will be explored later. i would like to see a race that uses them but isn't terribly advanced. but it would be funny, we dial a gate..... and find a DHD. and then we're like "Huh?"

We have no proof that the star was even "built". How do you jump to... are dead?

The Swarm
April 29th, 2010, 11:16 PM
Actualy proof was presented in that episode that the star system was artificial....but i agree that we do not know anything about the race that build it.

Vitharr
April 30th, 2010, 05:57 AM
i dont think ive ever seen a dhd around anytime theyve gone to another planet they always use that little psp looking thingy that eli carries around sure we did it before but i think the ramifications for a civilization that unlocked gate travel within their own galaxy would probably propel them forward hundreds of years ahead of any other civilization if they exist and im nto so sure any civilizations will exist i dont know where those aliens came from the ones that took rush and chloe but theyre a fluke pretty much theres going to be no human looking race mainly because the statistical odds of theyre being a spieces of human that evolved seperatly to us is inprobable the only reason there was other human races in the milky way was because the goaúld took people from earth. i think that even if there is any advanced lifeforms in the galaxies were the ships have seeded probably wouldnt ever get to the stages where they could understand the gate system at all i doubt there would be much impact on a civilization but lets say there is some super smart sentient race out there it could be of a huge impact on their society today i mean think if we here on earth did discover something like the stargate it would be huge for our society.

thekillman
May 1st, 2010, 09:03 AM
my eyes burn.

anyway, the aliens have a star map.

and by the way, yes you'd be dialling a hellofalotof planets, but far less than blind dial. a gate programmed to dial, note a connection and then disengage and try again will find adresses within days.

a full cycle will take, like what? 30 seconds? 20 if no connection. that's 2-3 adresses per minute. within a day, you tried 2880 to 4320 adresses. and that's adresses to stars, not complete blind dials. besides judging from the remote, the gates give off a weak signal or something that allows any alien sufficiently advanced to pick them up anyway.

Crazy Tom
May 2nd, 2010, 09:51 AM
If you can build stars and planets, what use if a puny wormhole system of use to you? You can probably generate your own by that tech level.

Rob23
May 2nd, 2010, 10:09 AM
Low tech species without space travel would take decades to make their own dhd then after that without any kind of reference to where more gates are placed they would never be able to use it space is just to vast for luck.

Dragon_Heart
May 4th, 2010, 06:27 AM
If you can build stars and planets, what use if a puny wormhole system of use to you? You can probably generate your own by that tech level.

For all we know they could have hauled the star and planet to that location using any number of means, they would just need insurmountable amounts of power and systems that could actually handle that power which we know seems pretty impossible but then again look at ZPM's and hyperspace.

*deeeeep breath*

What im saying is, they could have transported it there, or created the star AND planet.
Throw abit of hydrogen and dust in there, start a nuclear fission and your happy days!

thekillman
May 5th, 2010, 06:51 AM
if you can transport planets and stars, OR you have the infrastructure to build them, then stargates are no use to you. the Asgard had no use for stargates simply because they could get a massive warship, science lab and factory in one, at the same place in just a few minutes extra. the benefit of their own platform was much bigger than being there alone a bit faster. a race capable of making or transporting a star, even by other alien's technology, is by any means a Great Race and thus has no need for stargates. the ancients invented them because they had their own labs and warships everywhere already, they didn't need to bring their stuff along, but the asgard did. even then the ancients preferred hauling a massive city to a different galaxy over tossing a gate there and just dialling.

so Tom is right. a race that advanced has no need for gates, let alone another alien's gates

Mr.Xcelent
May 5th, 2010, 05:42 PM
I agree a race that can build a star may not have a need for a gate. But what about any other race? there you are minding your business and out of no where either a seeding ship drops out of the sky and build this gate (a.k.a a strange ring thing) and leave or this big old thing fall out of the sky with a ring attached. That wouldn't be a sight!:tomato:

thekillman
May 5th, 2010, 10:48 PM
yes indeed. i think the Blues use stargates. probably more like the Wraith than like the Goauld. you know, mostly use ships and use gates for day-to-day stuff.

as to other races, yes they have to be advanced but perhaps only at a goauld level, not much higher

The Swarm
May 6th, 2010, 06:01 AM
I think the reason the more advances species in these galaxy's dont use the gates so much is becouse of the horridly small range they have.

lord groovy
May 9th, 2010, 08:34 AM
But what I don't understand is that in the Lost episode, Eli's PSP did catch a lot of addresses .
According to his theory, there should only be 2 adresses : the previous planet and Destiny! What about the other gates coordinates? Except if those gates are already able to dial far away gate which would mean that they could get to any planet from the beginning of s1.

Mike.
May 9th, 2010, 08:41 AM
Eli's remote detected all the gates in range. If they continued to gate-hop then yes, they could have eventually reached all the planets in S1.

kymeric
May 10th, 2010, 01:24 PM
Im sure they know what they are and can figure out how they work and the seperate technologies that make up a stargate, but they have no DHD or dialing device. It took humans 50 years with a more advanced model of gate to build one, and we are anchient descendants sharing enough genes to reproduce. So we have some neurological similarities to the creators of the gates and similar patterns of thinking. The blue aliens have no connection to humans or aliens so its gotta be even harder.

I maintain that any advanced race that discovers stargates will just through observation and investigation discover the 4 basic components of a stargate. Matter transportation (ie the event horizon and ring platforms), Crystal data storage/computers, the existance and manipulation of subspace (the wormhole) and super durable construction materials (naquadah, good for ship hulls). Every intelligent species that finds a stargate should have the basics of space ships and FTL just by examining a stargate.

Destiny's path should be full of advanced aliens with technology give that theyve had millions of years to examine their stargates. Thats more than enough time to evolve sentience and enough technology to dissect a stargates tech.

Mr.Xcelent
October 16th, 2010, 06:19 PM
here is something to consider, given the attached image from lost. the fact that the blue alien or obsess with Destiny. We know now the seeder ships look like smaller Destiny's. The short Bag's (Bald Alien Guy's not to be mixed up with B.A.G=Bald Asian Guy, lol), hoped a ride just to study one. there or some who might be just as curios. They may have gotten on just to learn how to activate any one gate on any planet and work from there. It's more then being related to the ancients, it about sciences., and knowledge.

http://www.gateworld.net/gallery/albums/uni_season1/115-Lost/screencaps/sgu_115_20490.jpg

garhkal
October 16th, 2010, 08:07 PM

THen we meet that galaxies version of their SGC!

Janus
October 17th, 2010, 06:11 AM
Im sure they know what they are and can figure out how they work and the seperate technologies that make up a stargate, but they have no DHD or dialing device. It took humans 50 years with a more advanced model of gate to build one, and we are anchient descendants sharing enough genes to reproduce. So we have some neurological similarities to the creators of the gates and similar patterns of thinking. The blue aliens have no connection to humans or aliens so its gotta be even harder.

I maintain that any advanced race that discovers stargates will just through observation and investigation discover the 4 basic components of a stargate. Matter transportation (ie the event horizon and ring platforms), Crystal data storage/computers, the existance and manipulation of subspace (the wormhole) and super durable construction materials (naquadah, good for ship hulls). Every intelligent species that finds a stargate should have the basics of space ships and FTL just by examining a stargate.

Destiny's path should be full of advanced aliens with technology give that theyve had millions of years to examine their stargates. Thats more than enough time to evolve sentience and enough technology to dissect a stargates tech.

The problem with figuring out the Gate would be that you would have to see it in action to figure it out. And that means you would to know how to operate it to begin with. In which case, you wouldn't need to figure it out. It's a chicken or the egg problem. Simply finding the Gate wouldn't be enough.

Edit: And being able to figure out the sub-systems doesn't mean you can operate the Gate. It's like....well, if you know all the bits and pieces of a DVD-player, doesn't mean you can make one.

lexifer
October 17th, 2010, 06:26 AM
In regards to calculating all the possible permutations of possible addresses, if a race of aliens were substantially more advanced than Earth it wouldn't neccessarily take them an extremely long time to calculate. Earth's best supercomputers might take forever but like I said, if the alien race was sufficiently advanced their best supercomputers might take a fraction of the time that ours would. For all we know about the galaxies that Destiny might visit there could be a billion-year-old civilization out there that have expanded their empire into a Stargate-seeded star system, found a Stargate, reverse-engineered it, developed their own network and liked it so much that they used it for their entire empire which could span hundreds or thousands of galaxies. Now that I write all that down that idea could have potential for massive new series or at least one hell of a fanfic, haha.

Lexifer

garhkal
October 19th, 2010, 01:53 AM
The problem with figuring out the Gate would be that you would have to see it in action to figure it out. And that means you would to know how to operate it to begin with. In which case, you wouldn't need to figure it out. It's a chicken or the egg problem. Simply finding the Gate wouldn't be enough.

Edit: And being able to figure out the sub-systems doesn't mean you can operate the Gate. It's like....well, if you know all the bits and pieces of a DVD-player, doesn't mean you can make one.

We didn;t see it action before working out what it did...

Greenfire32
October 19th, 2010, 04:55 PM
The problem with figuring out the Gate would be that you would have to see it in action to figure it out.True, however:
And that means you would to know how to operate it to begin with.this isn't necessarily true. I know plenty of people who do things on their computer that they can't fully explain. You hear it all the time, "And then you do--woah! How did I do that?!"

It could simply be an accident.

With us, however, we knew (to some extent) that the gate was meant to take us somewhere (Torment of Tantalus) so we tried to initiate a dial sequence (successfully, we sent Earnest Littlefield).

kernl sandrs
October 21st, 2010, 09:12 PM
we only know the lack of range because either 1. power 2. no dhd to store planetary shift data of a entire galaxy network

if 2 is the only problem then a race advance enough to use the stargates without a dhd or kino, and have knowledge of any space travel, they would know of planetary shift. They would work around that, and the power problems...

and if all else fails, i dont see why a race that advanced to build a star system wouldnt be able to backwards engineer their own gates for their own purpose...

but that would definately be a little story arc...we leave with the ship, the aliens are like wtf, and use their knowledge of stargates to gate to other galaxies, including our own, avalon, ida, pegasus...lol but alas i dont think the writers are looking for a 'gate' series they want a bsg/voyager series

I like that. I like it a lot.

talyn2k1
October 23rd, 2010, 01:53 PM
There is also an additional hurdle that any race would have to overcome in order to learn how to use the Destiny gates.
We figured out what the Stargates were because they had star constellations on them, AFAIK the symbols on the Destiny gates do not relate to constellations, or at least not in as obvious a way as the Milky Way gates.
Without that vital clue, we may never have figured out what the Stargates did in order to be able to work out how to use them. Without that clue, how can any other race be expected to work it out?

garhkal
October 25th, 2010, 03:29 AM
Good point. it was daniel seeing the 'star map' on that news paper which keyed him into thinking of them being 'addresses'..

Quallen
October 25th, 2010, 01:38 PM
So you're(OP) describing what happened in the Milky Way and then positing, why wouldn't it happen this way everywhere? I think the answer is simply different starting conditions. What happened here is largely due to the ancients both seeding our galaxy with life and heavily seeding it with gates and in absence of those two driving forces the outcome we experienced becomes orders of magnitude less likely.

The blues are probably a good example of a race that, presumably lacking a stargate on their home planet, evolved normally. They achieved tech good enough for interstellar travel, spread out and colonized worlds and then eventually encountered gates but since their civilization is not built around gates the discovery has no immediate effect on them other than a healthy obsession with destiny.

If a species is limited by how much energy they can produce I think the System builders have sufficient mastery of their universe that stargates are toys of little use to them. I guess you could summarize by saying that species that evolve off the grid are less likely to have any use for it once they stumble upon it.

Annkoo
November 8th, 2011, 12:36 PM
The stargate were seeded more or less in one direction, otherwise than in our galaxy or in Pegazus. There wouldn't be many adresses, that civilizations from these planets could go.

morrismike
November 11th, 2011, 01:36 PM

There is no DHD to correct for drift. It is likely each stargate can only connect to 3 or 4 others. This would be very discouraging to say the least.

Todd the prior
February 1st, 2012, 08:41 AM
people keap saying that they could only diel to 1 or 2 gates so it would be useless, but 1 or 2 extra planets is way beter than no extra planets. imagen how much easyer our lives would be if we didn't nead to worry about global warming 'cause there was anouther planet to go to. or if garbage wasn't a problem 'cause we had a whole planet for a dump. plus when you grt to a new world there a anouther 2 you can reach, and so on. in reality a connection to 1 or 2 other planets would be huge.

garhkal
February 5th, 2012, 09:41 AM
True dat.. Heck we could 'appease' the religious nuts by sending them/giving them a whole planet for their own..

General Jumper One
February 5th, 2012, 09:47 AM
There is only one solution to our garbage problem, put a space gate near the sun, send our garbage through the gate into the universal garbage recycler! Dumping it into space or on another planet is just as bad as putting it here and ruining our planet.

nathan MCD
October 2nd, 2013, 12:38 PM
well if a goa'uld ship can tow a pretty big meteor across space then a more advanced race could logically tow things like planets.

nathan MCD
October 2nd, 2013, 12:47 PM
think then that the reason some aliens take an interest in destiny is because the seed ships have already passed thru, some might not take kindly to a ship dropping stuff on their planet or possibly salvaging gate building materials from the planet.

picture the berserker drones being created by a fearful and xenophobic race, they build these weapons to defend themselves, the seed ships breeze thru their galaxy planting gates. they are fearful of their intentions then soon destiny shows up, a bigger version with more weapons. perceiving a threat the drones are commanded use the preplotted to block destiny and destroy it. as destiny was not long on entering the galaxy when forced to skip it we never really got to see the possible extent of the drones empire, supposedly waiting at every plotted gate.

garhkal
October 2nd, 2013, 02:26 PM
but we didn't wake the drones up till we encountered them in that debris field..

nathan MCD
October 5th, 2013, 10:03 AM
but we didn't wake the drones up till we encountered them in that debris field..

the drones were already spread out across the galaxy before destiny arrived, after the seed ships left they had many, many years to attack other races like the ursini. if drones dont face opposition then they would probably shut down everything except sensors until another ship approached. other drones elsewhere would be active doing other things, those drones destiny first encountered would have been the first to report back to the others.

if the creator race were xenophobic they would probably already have the drones spread out across designated quadrants to attack other races, (think dalek mentality, kill anything different so it wont kill you first) drones become dormant as a form of power conservation, the drones detect anything artificial moving in space and target it, they probably send information back to their creators to allow them to monitor where there is opposition and send more drones. if destiny was detected as being similar to the seed ships they would notice and soon realise it is following the gate network.

garhkal
October 9th, 2013, 11:29 AM
That's assuming their creators are still even around.. But i do feel that more should have been given on them had we gotten a 3rd season.

nathan MCD
October 12th, 2013, 05:37 AM
TV bosses, why do they always end something when it is starting to pick itself up like SGU? then when something falls on it's face like heroes they drag it through the dirt.

wait so if they made a series 3 of SGU would the end of gauntlet still have had them leaving the galaxy, only to find drones in the next or would they just continue in the drone galaxy. apparently we would have seen more about the planet builders(bet they are a form of ascended race).

actually come to think of it the ascended ancients sit and watch and you would never know they were there, what if some of them did go to destiny, see future plot ideas they could have used!

Energizer_Vs_ZPM
October 16th, 2013, 05:35 AM
actually come to think of it the ascended ancients sit and watch and you would never know they were there, what if some of them did go to destiny, see future plot ideas they could have used!

The problem is though we know that even ascended beings have to use stargates to get around. This has been seen many times.

I'd also like to think the ancients could reach destiny easily as ascended beings but I don't think it would be possible unless they arrived via the gate.

Railgun
October 25th, 2013, 08:35 PM
The problem is though we know that even ascended beings have to use stargates to get around. This has been seen many times.

I'd also like to think the ancients could reach destiny easily as ascended beings but I don't think it would be possible unless they arrived via the gate.

Actually that's a really interesting point.

We saw accended beings use the stargate several times to get about, but then other times they just seemed to appear/disappear.

It's like the writing isn't totally consistent with what an accended Ancient can actually do and what they can't do.