PDA

View Full Version : Should I re-watch 'Human'?

Phenom
April 26th, 2010, 02:09 AM
Righto. I didn't get to watch human until 2am after a big night at work, which followed the Anzac day dawn service etc etc. Short story is I watched it on very little sleep.

I found it last night to be the most boring 42 minutes of my life. I watched it on my computer and for the most part, I was just surfing the net and listening to it, knowing full well that I was not missing out on any visual fun stuff. Sure there were a couple of little bits of info that were interesting, but on a whole, a part of me died last night. I went to bed very disappointed after being on such a high after the first few eps back from the break.

Now my question is this. Was I too affected by my lack of sleep to truely appreciate some of the more subtle things about this ep? Or am I not alone in my thinking that I have just spent 42 minutes of my life that I won't get back.

I am really hoping that I was just too sleep deprived to enjoy it.

vszulc
April 26th, 2010, 02:12 AM
Heh... I actually watched it the same way. Surfing and doing other things whie listening/watching, and turning my attention to it when something interesting was going on.

Hate to say it, but I think it's the episode and not you. I downloaded V as well, and watched it afterwards, but unlike with SGU i was glued to the screen.

gotthammer
April 26th, 2010, 02:20 AM
watch it again. :D

Blackhole
April 26th, 2010, 02:25 AM
Heh... I actually watched it the same way. Surfing and doing other things whie listening/watching, and turning my attention to it when something interesting was going on.

Hate to say it, but I think it's the episode and not you. I downloaded V as well, and watched it afterwards, but unlike with SGU i was glued to the screen.

The lucid dreaming part of Human was more of a character drama and more cerebral. It would be harder to appreciate it if you were tired. Watch it again.

I also watch V and love the show. I have read that ratings are declining and the show is likely to be canceled. In my mind there is no accounting for general tastes. V is one of my favorite shows on television.

vszulc
April 26th, 2010, 02:33 AM
Word! V is such a great example of a sci fi show with awesome character drama, and all the other things they tried to do with SGU methinks.
It's scifi, but it manages to be politically timely and relevant.

The real inspiration for the show is Nazi Germany I beleive, and how easily it is to slip into fascism through promises and good intentions. That's how I read the subtext anyways :)

That's the secret of truly epic sci fi, I believe: That it works, and can be enjoyed on so many levels.

Egle01
April 26th, 2010, 02:36 AM
Every SGU episode should be watched several times.

escyos
April 26th, 2010, 02:56 AM
it did seem a little slow but because its a two parter i think watching it with the next ep will make it better

pipi
April 26th, 2010, 03:01 AM
Watch it again to laugh and Chloe. She does dumbdumb stuff again.

Egle01
April 26th, 2010, 03:04 AM
She does dumbdumb stuff again.Again? And what exactly?

vszulc
April 26th, 2010, 03:15 AM
Wasn't it more of collaborative, collective dumb-dumbness this time?

From idiot-Eli losing the Kino down there, to Scott's brilliant decision to go find it*, to Greer firing off half a magazine at ONE cat-sized spider creature, topped off by Lt. James thinking she's a demolition expert. "La-da-da-dee... Hand me some C4, I'm sure that will clear away the rocks blocking the entrance of this centuries old, highly unstable underground labyrinth!"

Seriously, was there some sort of idiot-virus in the Destiny water supply this week?

*(When somebody says "It's sort of a maze down there", you should consider going another time. LIKE WHEN YOU DON'T HAVE A THREE HOUR LIMIT BEFORE YOUR STARSHIP LEAVES THE PLANET!!!)

Egle01
April 26th, 2010, 03:18 AM
Wasn't it more of collaborative, collective dumb-dumbness this time?And yet Chloe gets the blame... :rolleyes:

From idiot-Eli losing the Kino down there, to Scott's brilliant decision to go find it*, to Greer firing off half a magazine at ONE cat-sized spider creature, topped off by Lt. James thinking she's a demolition expert. "La-da-da-dee... Hand me some C4, I'm sure that will clear away the rocks blocking the entrance of this centuries old, highly unstable underground labyrinth!"I think you're overreacting. Only pointless part was trying to free them by using C4.

pipi
April 26th, 2010, 03:28 AM
vszulc,

collective dumb-dumbness, 3 star laughs
idiot-virus, 5 star laughs

:)

And yet Chloe gets the blame... :rolleyes:

Well since this thread's title is so trivial, making fun of Chloe is more fun than any other character don't you agree? And if you're seriously curious as to what moments I find funny and dumb on her part was when she tried to flash her Daniel Jackson degree at Young to go have some (obvious) fun and when she either initiated, agreed or advocated to go into that tunnel.

Ser Scot A Ellison
April 26th, 2010, 03:35 AM
I thought the A story was great. Learning about Rush's past getting some insight into what is driving him so hard. It was very well done. The B story, Scott, Greer, Chloe, and Eli getting stuck in a catacombs with giant spiders, was a tad generic. The cliffhanger was nice but would have been more satisfying if we hadn't seen it with Rush before.

EllieVee
April 26th, 2010, 03:38 AM
Well, there are threads for the whole Chloe bashing thing so off you trot.

In answer to the OP, I found Human the most cerebral episode of Stargate to date. Not SGU, all of Stargate. If you don't like television episodes that make you think and watch carefully, don't watch it again. Best regards.

Trinary
April 26th, 2010, 03:54 AM
You may be too tired due to lack of sleep or a lots of interruptions. Just sit back and find out what questions raised by the episode. It will set you back on the track...

Phenom
April 26th, 2010, 04:07 AM
Well, there are threads for the whole Chloe bashing thing so off you trot.

In answer to the OP, I found Human the most cerebral episode of Stargate to date. Not SGU, all of Stargate. If you don't like television episodes that make you think and watch carefully, don't watch it again. Best regards.

Cerebral and sleep deprivation don't often go hand in hand do they.

But although I was tired, I didn't find much to actually think too hard about in the ep. I will watch it again though and see if I missed out on some stuff. I will probably skip the getting lost in the maze scenes....nothing cerebral going on there thats for sure! :)

@Escyos....didn't realise it was a two parter mate....probably all come together next week and be quite good all up.

Egle01
April 26th, 2010, 04:16 AM
Well since this thread's title is so trivial, making fun of Chloe is more fun than any other character don't you agree? No.

And if you're seriously curious as to what moments I find funny and dumb on her part was when she tried to flash her Daniel Jackson degree at Young to go have some (obvious) fun and when she either initiated, agreed or advocated to go into that tunnel.Yes, I was being serious. She wanted to go offworld to have fun? Had it been me stuck on a ship for months, I'd be more than happy to visit a planet every chance I get. Just to breathe fresh air and see some sunshine. And her nerd moment made sense to go and check out the tunnel. Hadn't there been an alien spider, the entrance wouldn't have collapsed and they'd have gated to Destiny on time. Bad luck, not stupid decisions.

You may be too tired due to lack of sleep or a lots of interruptions. Just sit back and find out what questions raised by the episode. It will set you back on the track...Watching TV with sleepy head can make any episode look boring. I know. :D

pipi
April 26th, 2010, 04:48 AM
Yes, I was being serious. She wanted to go offworld to have fun? Had it been me stuck on a ship for months, I'd be more than happy to visit a planet every chance I get. Just to breathe fresh air and see some sunshine.

Nothing wrong with Chloe's motives for going, it was her 'over sell' to Colonel Young that was a dumbdumb moment. I was waiting for Young to burst out laughing but it didn't happen. Young: How dumb do you think I am he says? I would have let you go anyway he says. Would have been funny. :D

And her nerd moment made sense to go and check out the tunnel. Hadn't there been an alien spider, the entrance wouldn't have collapsed and they'd have gated to Destiny on time. Bad luck, not stupid decisions.

Again nothing wrong with checking out the tunnel. It was the part of actually venturing inside that was dumbdumb. Even Scott didn't want to go in, he said use the kinos. Smartsmart! Eli goes I kinda lost it in there. Oh really? If you can't get the kino out what chance do we have? Smartsmart!! Chloe: Oh but lets go anyway it'll be fun, we could find some cool stuff down there (BS.. *cough*); Dumbdumb!! Greer: What could we possibly find down there that we need? Smartsmart!! Eli: We could find a powersouce or something (BS.. *cough* hope this makes me BFF with Chloe again, maybe even get me some brownie points).

I certainly would not have gone in there given the information I had. The kino footage should have shown it as dark and dingy with no evidence of technology. And since Eli said it's like a maze down there, equals a no go. They could have contacted Destiny to send more kinos or even more people to pilot the kinos to create an underground map, which could have also been quicker and safer. In the meantime the remaining people can explore the surface, maybe go for a lesuirely walk and breath fresh air, find some fresh food and water around the corner maybe.

Pharaoh Atem
April 26th, 2010, 04:50 AM

this

Egle01
April 26th, 2010, 04:53 AM
pipi - You're just making up the dialogue. That's not what they said. Anyone who adds some unnecessary comments and personal thoughts to conversation, can make any character look stupid.

jelgate
April 26th, 2010, 06:58 AM
The A story fo Human is quite subtle. Without them its looks like a man ignoring his dying wife and burying himself into his work. But their are those small thing of the way he acts around Gloria. I think you can lose those things if you are fatugued. The B story is basically what you see is what you get

Blackhole
April 26th, 2010, 07:44 AM
Wasn't it more of collaborative, collective dumb-dumbness this time?

From idiot-Eli losing the Kino down there, to Scott's brilliant decision to go find it*, to Greer firing off half a magazine at ONE cat-sized spider creature, topped off by Lt. James thinking she's a demolition expert. "La-da-da-dee... Hand me some C4, I'm sure that will clear away the rocks blocking the entrance of this centuries old, highly unstable underground labyrinth!"

Seriously, was there some sort of idiot-virus in the Destiny water supply this week?

*(When somebody says "It's sort of a maze down there", you should consider going another time. LIKE WHEN YOU DON'T HAVE A THREE HOUR LIMIT BEFORE YOUR STARSHIP LEAVES THE PLANET!!!)

Lt James's action was done out of desperation. What alternative did she have, do nothing and they are stranded or take a chance and maybe get lucky and they are freed. Going into an unstable underground maze with an impending deadline was foolish but then there would not have been any story.

Saquist
April 26th, 2010, 07:49 AM
Righto. I didn't get to watch human until 2am after a big night at work, which followed the Anzac day dawn service etc etc. Short story is I watched it on very little sleep.

I found it last night to be the most boring 42 minutes of my life. I watched it on my computer and for the most part, I was just surfing the net and listening to it, knowing full well that I was not missing out on any visual fun stuff. Sure there were a couple of little bits of info that were interesting, but on a whole, a part of me died last night. I went to bed very disappointed after being on such a high after the first few eps back from the break.

Now my question is this. Was I too affected by my lack of sleep to truely appreciate some of the more subtle things about this ep? Or am I not alone in my thinking that I have just spent 42 minutes of my life that I won't get back.

I am really hoping that I was just too sleep deprived to enjoy it.

{mod snip} it was truly in serious competition with paint drying.
I'm always amazed that SGU does and says as little as possible in just about every episode. The makes as little explanation as possible. Give as little story as possible even when expanding on a character.

When most shows are just shoving to much in one episode SGU is the polar opposite. Nothing significant happened at the end that hasn't already happened before. Someone got left behind...There is no suspense here...They'll get back. It's a foregone conclusion.
It was very creative in a very boring way.

Blackhole
April 26th, 2010, 07:52 AM
No.

Yes, I was being serious. She wanted to go offworld to have fun? Had it been me stuck on a ship for months, I'd be more than happy to visit a planet every chance I get. Just to breathe fresh air and see some sunshine. And her nerd moment made sense to go and check out the tunnel. Hadn't there been an alien spider, the entrance wouldn't have collapsed and they'd have gated to Destiny on time. Bad luck, not stupid decisions.

Watching TV with sleepy head can make any episode look boring. I know. :D

Mines are notorious for being unstable and dangerous. Ancient underground ruins imo would definitely fall into that same category. I think they should have sat down outside and given Eli time to remotely try to fly the Kino out. If unsuccessful left it and hightailed it back to the gate; they never should have gone in. But again there would not have been any story if they had.

vszulc
April 26th, 2010, 09:31 AM
{mod snip}
When most shows are just shoving to much in one episode SGU is the polar opposite. Nothing significant happened at the end that hasn't already happened before. Someone got left behind...There is no suspense here...They'll get back. It's a foregone conclusion.
It was very creative in a very boring way.

LOL! Very true. I have a feeling we'll be treated to an entire episode, about Scott's soulsearching and self doubt, for being foolish enough to go in the mine once they get back on the ship.

As you said: What took a scene or 5 min in SGA, can be an entire episode in SGU.

KEK
April 26th, 2010, 09:59 AM
Watch is again, it was fantastic, arguably the best of the series so far. Robert Carlyle and Louise Lombard were phenomenal.

Replicator Todd
April 26th, 2010, 10:12 AM
I usually don't like to rewatch episodes of SGU....i'm waiting for the DVDs. :D

carmencatalina
April 26th, 2010, 10:22 AM
I think this is a great episode to re-watch - if for no other reason than to go back and catch all the ways that the number 46 (or 46 things) show up prior to Rush's revelation. I love little puzzles like that.

MattSilver 3k
April 26th, 2010, 10:53 AM
Oh for frak's sake this thread is totally off the ****ing charts.

Phenom, if you didn't enjoy the first time around, is it really going to magically become better the second time around? Probably not. But, since there's a part of you telling yourself to actually post a thread and ask the general populace if rewatching Human is worth it, there must be a part that wants you to rewatch it. So just do. If you feel like you mighta missed something and don't want to actually watch it again, that's fine. Go read a summary on Stargate Wikia or skim the transcript and make sure you didn't miss anything.

If all else fails, flip a frelling coin. Ta-freaking-da! Decision gets made, messy thread is averted.

Egle01
April 26th, 2010, 11:57 AM
I think this is a great episode to re-watch - if for no other reason than to go back and catch all the ways that the number 46 (or 46 things) show up prior to Rush's revelation. I love little puzzles like that.I love it when all pieces come together. :) In "Human" it was awesome.

Phenom, if you didn't enjoy the first time around, is it really going to magically become better the second time around? Probably not. Speaking from personal experience, for me episodes are better during the 2nd or 3rd viewing.

MattSilver 3k
April 26th, 2010, 11:58 AM
Speaking from personal experience, for me episodes are better during the 2nd or 3rd viewing.

I get that too, but only when I enjoy it too the first time around. I've never personally 180'd in two viewings.

Egle01
April 26th, 2010, 12:19 PM
I've never personally 180'd in two viewings.I've had it with few scenes. Like the music montage in the end of "Air", part 3. Hated at first, loved later.

KEK
April 26th, 2010, 03:37 PM
I get that too, but only when I enjoy it too the first time around. I've never personally 180'd in two viewings.

I don't usually, though I did with Bad Santa.

pipi
April 26th, 2010, 06:18 PM
Lt James's action was done out of desperation. What alternative did she have, do nothing and they are stranded or take a chance and maybe get lucky and they are freed. Going into an unstable underground maze with an impending deadline was foolish but then there would not have been any story.

C4 plastic explosive. Do one have to use them in bulk or can ya just rip them in half or quaters then insert the trigger? Start the explosion small and work your way up just like in Myth Busters.

Blackhole
April 26th, 2010, 09:16 PM
C4 plastic explosive. Do one have to use them in bulk or can ya just rip them in half or quaters then insert the trigger? Start the explosion small and work your way up just like in Myth Busters.

I thought the same thing. It was a huge crater from her explosion, how much did she use! Although, we really don't know how far below ground they were? None of them could have been demolition experts. Maybe without proper training it is hard to judge how much to use?

Phenom
April 26th, 2010, 11:37 PM
Oh for frak's sake this thread is totally off the ****ing charts.

Phenom, if you didn't enjoy the first time around, is it really going to magically become better the second time around? Probably not. But, since there's a part of you telling yourself to actually post a thread and ask the general populace if rewatching Human is worth it, there must be a part that wants you to rewatch it. So just do. If you feel like you mighta missed something and don't want to actually watch it again, that's fine. Go read a summary on Stargate Wikia or skim the transcript and make sure you didn't miss anything.

If all else fails, flip a frelling coin. Ta-freaking-da! Decision gets made, messy thread is averted.

Matt did you forget to take your meds today mate?

The thread was a light hearted attempt to see if other people found the ep slightly on the boring side. I apologise for attempting to lighten up the forums with something a bit different. I won't dare do it again for fear of feeling the full force of your wrath.

MattSilver 3k
April 27th, 2010, 12:00 AM
Matt did you forget to take your meds today mate?

The thread was a light hearted attempt to see if other people found the ep slightly on the boring side. I apologise for attempting to lighten up the forums with something a bit different. I won't dare do it again for fear of feeling the full force of your wrath.

Funny, I would've thought a cursory glance at the big ol' Human Discussion Thread would've told you if others found it as boring as you did. I may be psychotically angry in my previous post, but aren't you now just lazy? And I'm very sorry, I seem to have interpreted statements such as

I found it last night to be the most boring 42 minutes of my life.

to not be as light-heartened as you're making it all out to be. And then when the thread devolves from there into squabbles over the episode, I can't help but thing the thread becomes less funny and more annoyingly stupid.

OutandAboot
April 27th, 2010, 04:14 AM
As you said: What took a scene or 5 min in SGA, can be an entire episode in SGU.

And that's what makes SGU so good.

UniverseSizePlotHole
April 27th, 2010, 04:48 AM
Only pointless part was trying to free them by using C4.

Right on with that. The Genii built an underground civilisation without C4, and how did the Atlantis combat engineers get so far down to Lorne and Mckay in SGA Season 5 Search and Rescue so quickly. It was a time and manpower problem on the planet for our SGU team and we have access to more people than two jumpers from Atlantis. You don't hear or see explosives experts coming into earthquake zones to search for people - maybe afterwards for demolition etc. If anything make another entrance rather than blasting and an already blocked one.

Back to the OP I'll rewatch during/after the next GW podcast.

reddevil18
April 27th, 2010, 06:33 AM
Word! V is such a great example of a sci fi show with awesome character drama, and all the other things they tried to do with SGU methinks.AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! I love your use of sarcasm here. It's great. I mean, awesome character drama on V? I'm glad you didn't go overboard, though, praising the acting or anything to do with production values. That would have been pushing it, even in a sarcastic post.

It's scifi, but it manages to be politically timely and relevant.And that's why it fails. It's trying too hard to be relevant NOW. They're shoving crap down our throats. The whole island disaster? It might as well have been Haiti. Blue energy instead of green? The Obama deal with healthcare? It is far too forced, lacks subtlety and becomes quickly irrelevant due to the inherent nature of human interest - it evolves and moves on.
Great drama is done by using general, grand themes and/or small personal conflict. V has none of that. I'm not saying SGU is particularly successful in the drama department, but V is a joke.

FallenAngelII
April 27th, 2010, 06:52 AM
"Human" is an episode that needs to be watched, not listened to while multi-tasking. Emotionally driven narratives tend to be like that (shockingly enough). Turn off everything, put the episode on and focus on what's happening on the screen.

Not just what the characters are saying and who they are saying it to it. Focus on how they are saying it, their facial expressions, their cadence.

An episode like "Human" might not be your cup of tea, but I guarantee you you will get more out of it if you watch it while focused on the screen.

Saquist
April 27th, 2010, 08:02 AM
LOL! Very true. I have a feeling we'll be treated to an entire episode, about Scott's soulsearching and self doubt, for being foolish enough to go in the mine once they get back on the ship.

I understand the point of it and I even like the cerebral nature of it.
The thing is I've been bored for some time. I haven't been convinced yet of the seriousness of this show because it keeps dropping me out of belief by forcing the drama. If they hadn't lost Chloe and got Chloe back in the span of 10 mins I might not be so Jaded by this episode.
If they hadn't stranded Rush in one episode and then get him back in the very next episode I might not be so jaded.

But it wasn't even emotionally impacting either. Was it sad...well I guess. His wife was dying.
But there was little to no reaction out of Rush at all....

I felt like they could have made it more clear that the people in his dream sequence were acting out of context because of the Destiny's computer system. They shouldn't have been saying or understanding what they were saying or understanding. Yet the students look at him like he's crazy but Daniel and the wife understand what he's trying to accomplish...it just seemed so arbitrary and the result was that I didn't catch on that there were clues to be found.

That's not good story telling.
Good story telling doesn't purposely loose your listeners and watchers.

And that's what makes SGU so good.

That's what makes me turn the computer on in the middle of Stargate Universe episode and talk on Facebook.
I'm glad you guys like it but I could have read the script and got the same content and meaning. I can't even begin to justify LOOKING at this episode. Just give me an MP3 next time.

SG7
April 27th, 2010, 10:27 AM

Or maybe not necessarily several times, but at least a couple of times. As I find that you get more out of an episode of anything when you watch each one at least twice. As there are always going to be little things that you miss the first time around that you pick up on the second time.

it did seem a little slow but because its a two parter i think watching it with the next ep will make it better

Agreed. I loved this episode but have a feeling that I am going to like the second part much more than the first. Kinda makes me do a "palm forehead" as I could have taped the first part and watched it again with the second part. So would have been able to see the two parts as one continuous episode.

KEK
April 27th, 2010, 10:34 AM
I thought the same thing. It was a huge crater from her explosion, how much did she use! Although, we really don't know how far below ground they were? None of them could have been demolition experts. Maybe without proper training it is hard to judge how much to use?

The hole was made from the collapsed tunnels, it wasn't a crater the C4 had blown.

major davis
April 27th, 2010, 02:01 PM
You need to rewatch it.

First time around I HATED this ep. However, I was very tired and it was late. Then I rewatched it the next day and I actually REALLY ENJOYED IT compared to the first time around.

Buy it on itunes and watch it dude.. you won't regret it. :)

Saquist
April 27th, 2010, 04:44 PM
I wonder why Shanks came back to do...nothing...in this episode.
Was it just fan service because anyone could have played this role.

KEK
April 27th, 2010, 05:37 PM
Anyone could have played the person that introduces Rush to the Stargate program? I suppose, but it makes sense that it be someone we know, and using and old fan favourite couldn't hurt.

pipi
April 28th, 2010, 12:23 AM
The hole was made from the collapsed tunnels, it wasn't a crater the C4 had blown.

Either way the huge crater was the indirect result of using too much explosive. It would have been more prudent to use a smaller amount.

Blackhole
April 28th, 2010, 02:18 AM

You may be right.

Egle01
April 28th, 2010, 04:52 AM
Was it just fan service because anyone could have played this role.Anyone whose wife has died and fans knew about it. Oh yeah, my list is a mile long. :P

The Mighty 6 platoon
April 28th, 2010, 04:59 AM
Either way the huge crater was the indirect result of using too much explosive. It would have been more prudent to use a smaller amount.

Considering that the tunnels were so unstable that they collapsed after about 15 rounds 5.56, I'd say it's likely they didn't use much c4, the tunnels were so unstable they collapsed anyway. They were pretty desperate at that point though.

Ser Scot A Ellison
April 28th, 2010, 05:04 AM
Saquist,

I understand the point of it and I even like the cerebral nature of it.
The thing is I've been bored for some time. I haven't been convinced yet of the seriousness of this show because it keeps dropping me out of belief by forcing the drama. If they hadn't lost Chloe and got Chloe back in the span of 10 mins I might not be so Jaded by this episode.
If they hadn't stranded Rush in one episode and then get him back in the very next episode I might not be so jaded.

But it wasn't even emotionally impacting either. Was it sad...well I guess. His wife was dying.
But there was little to no reaction out of Rush at all....

I felt like they could have made it more clear that the people in his dream sequence were acting out of context because of the Destiny's computer system. They shouldn't have been saying or understanding what they were saying or understanding. Yet the students look at him like he's crazy but Daniel and the wife understand what he's trying to accomplish...it just seemed so arbitrary and the result was that I didn't catch on that there were clues to be found.

That's not good story telling.
Good story telling doesn't purposely loose your listeners and watchers.

That's what makes me turn the computer on in the middle of Stargate Universe episode and talk on Facebook.
I'm glad you guys like it but I could have read the script and got the same content and meaning. I can't even begin to justify LOOKING at this episode. Just give me an MP3 next time.

I have to disagree. Stories that require some effort from the listener, reader, or viewer are generally, in my opinion simply more thematically complex than typical television drivel. As with anything else you get from it what you put into it.

EllieVee
April 28th, 2010, 06:03 AM

Okay, so is this a promise that you won't watch SGU again?

pipi
April 28th, 2010, 05:57 PM
Considering that the tunnels were so unstable that they collapsed after about 15 rounds 5.56, I'd say it's likely they didn't use much c4, the tunnels were so unstable they collapsed anyway. They were pretty desperate at that point though.

There was a huge mushroom cloud of dust that went vertical. Not a typical explosion.

SG7
April 28th, 2010, 08:05 PM
I wonder why Shanks came back to do...nothing...in this episode.
Was it just fan service because anyone could have played this role.

Sure they could have had "anyone" play the role. Just like in the pilot they could have had "anyone" show up at Eli's door. But they chose Shanks for this role much like they probably chose Anderson for the pilot. It provides a little bit of tying the three series together. And in the case of Shanks, he lost his wife as a result of the Gau'uld in SG1. And he was powerless to be able to do anything about it. Much like Rush was powerless to be able to do anything about the cancer that was killing his wife. The fans would make the corrilation between Jackson and Rush. Jackson was also someone who was very curious about the stargates. We saw in "Children of the Gods" where he is talking to Carter and explains the whole walls of gate addresses and how he tried to dial different planets with out any luck. And here we have Rush desparately trying to solve the mystery of the 9th Cheveron. And yes it is an added bonus for SGU to have one of the characters from either SG1 or SGA appear in the episode. It does provide a bit of familliarity for those who may have not tuned into the show yet and are on the fence about watching, or those who just need a little affirmation through a character of either of the other two shows showing up. I see nothing wrong with that given the fact that all three shows are technically intertwined. In that they are all based on the stargate program on earth.

And quite frankly I feel that adds a nice touch to the show and even if it is used as a ratings booster, then so be it. That means potentially more viewers for SGU right? Which means better chance of the show doing well and getting more seasons right? So in my eyes I think that TPTB were probably smart in having Shanks in this episode as it is WinWin situation.

KEK
April 28th, 2010, 09:44 PM
Okay, so is this a promise that you won't watch SGU again?

I wouldn't count on it. Half of the people who complain about the show now are people who ripped it before it had even aired and said they wouldn't give it a go. Of course they did in end, they wouldn't have anything new to whine about otherwise.

EllieVee
April 28th, 2010, 10:01 PM
I wouldn't count of it. Half of the people who complain about the show now are people who ripped it before it had even aired and said they wouldn't give it a go. Of course they did in end, they wouldn't have anything new to whine about otherwise.

Says something about them, I think, and nothing that's complimentary.