PDA

View Full Version : Only 6 hours for off-world?

Trinary
April 24th, 2010, 09:21 AM
Where the other 6 hours goes?

Ancient set a budget time for the gate travel or what?

s09119
April 24th, 2010, 09:23 AM
Where the other 6 hours goes?

Ancient set a budget time for the gate travel or what?

Well they do have this big universe to get to... :P

escyos
April 24th, 2010, 09:29 AM
perhaps not being in FTL uses power....for the hot butter dispenser....and as such Destiny doesnt stick around

erotavlas
April 24th, 2010, 09:30 AM
I think those times given by Destiny are just default times for when it is in automated mode such as now or when no one in on board. Maybe the ancients when on board were able to control the times when needed (like if there was something important or interesting to stay longer for) ...

MattSilver 3k
April 24th, 2010, 09:31 AM
I'm starting to see Destiny's AI as a constantly changing thing. Now that she has passengers, she equates their needs and tries to run the numbers to allow her to free some time up for their little side trips. For random example, she decides for 6 hours here or 3 hours there but in all purposes, she has a schedule of some sort to keep, following the seeder ships.

That, or, she has to perform some sort of self-diagnostic or cool the FTL engines rather often, and she works her little schedule with both the cooling and the needs of her crew. Is she perhaps just dropping out long enough to check on all the nearby Stargates (For example, there were like four addresses in the Air 3 area, and they got a long time on the desert planet compared to Hoth. The Time planet may've been one of many too, given that the Destiny stayed put for so long)? Then again, there was no gate in Divided when she dropped out...

Seriously, I have no idea.

Trinary
April 24th, 2010, 09:37 AM
Don't tell me Destiny was late for a Date. :)

A very humanize automatic function. Should I dating a robot?

MattSilver 3k
April 24th, 2010, 09:45 AM
Don't tell me Destiny was late for a Date. :)

A very humanize automatic function. Should I dating a robot?

Hmm... as long as she comes from a good family, you may have my blessing.

Trinary
April 24th, 2010, 09:56 AM
Hmm... as long as she comes from a good family, you may have my blessing.

Thank you, Dad. :lol:

Lahela
April 24th, 2010, 10:55 AM
I think the time the ship stays put has varied already, has it not?

Shan Bruce Lee
April 24th, 2010, 11:05 AM
I think the time the ship stays put has varied already, has it not?

I think so.

Egle01
April 24th, 2010, 01:30 PM
I think the time the ship stays put has varied already, has it not?It has. They had more time in... "Time". Maybe 36 hours or something.

Blackhole
April 24th, 2010, 02:24 PM
Having a deadline creates dramatic tension and emphasizes the crew's lack of control of Destiny.

Replicator Todd
April 24th, 2010, 03:09 PM
Destiny hated the planet, so it didn't want to stay for very long. :P

dacooker
April 24th, 2010, 04:48 PM
Might have something to do with fact they haven't unlocked Destiny's systems yet. Therefore it is still on it's automated course set by the seeder ships.

Vapor
April 24th, 2010, 05:42 PM
I assumed there was something of value on the planet, and the ship estimated a certain amount of time needed to go retrieve it. Obviously, the Destiny overestimated the ability to find it by Scott's team. >_>

Trinary
April 24th, 2010, 06:47 PM
Since no one knows about the gate time ration, try take the hint Rush get from the chair access if you guys could come out with something...

Take the number of the Scott's team and the gate timer itself too if it could be helpful. I am really curious how come the gate travel time has drastically cut into 6 hours by the sudden.

Gollumpus
April 24th, 2010, 07:42 PM
It's possible that the ruins were not on the planet when the seeder ship went by.

Depending upon how long it took Destiny to get to that point it's possible that the beings who built the ruins evolved, developed a civilization and then died out. The seeder ship may have noted the planet only because there was a species who looked like they were capable of evolving sentience, or merely because it had the best sunrises in the galaxy.

regards,
G.

stargator87
April 25th, 2010, 12:07 AM
Having a deadline creates dramatic tension and emphasizes the crew's lack of control of Destiny.

*nods*

/suspensionofdisbelief

thekillman
April 25th, 2010, 06:26 AM
the ship uses a "if you don't find something significant in X hours there simply isnt anything significant" policy

Commander Zelix
April 25th, 2010, 06:43 AM
The ship was right about giving the crew 6 hours to complete the mission. With Sheppard, McKay and the team it would have taken them that time to find the location of some power source and bring it back to the Destiny. The ship couldn't have known that she's stuck with some dimwits. ;)

vszulc
April 25th, 2010, 10:49 AM
The ship couldn't have known that she's stuck with some dimwits.

LOL! I'm sure the thought has crossed the ships mind many times, to just open the airlocks, let the robots clean up, and hope that they'll send the A-team over from Atlantis through the gate...

Seriously though, people complain about McKay always coming up with a solution right in time, and being a convenient deux et machina for the writers. But this is even worse, with arbitary timelimits that come from nowhere, always giving them time to get into trouble, but not time enough to solve it. 6 hours, 12 hours, 36 hours, a whole freaking month. Does the ship role a dice when it makes a stop?

Lahela
April 25th, 2010, 11:05 AM
LOL! I'm sure the thought has crossed the ships mind many times, to just open the airlocks, let the robots clean up, and hope that they'll send the A-team over from Atlantis through the gate...

Seriously though, people complain about McKay always coming up with a solution right in time, and being a convenient deux et machina for the writers. But this is even worse, with arbitary timelimits that come from nowhere, always giving them time to get into trouble, but not time enough to solve it. 6 hours, 12 hours, 36 hours, a whole freaking month. Does the ship role a dice when it makes a stop?

No, the ship is going by the information it has received from the seeder ships. Who knows how much time has passed since they were there? Things change.

SG7
April 25th, 2010, 11:11 AM
Since no one knows about the gate time ration, try take the hint Rush get from the chair access if you guys could come out with something...

Take the number of the Scott's team and the gate timer itself too if it could be helpful. I am really curious how come the gate travel time has drastically cut into 6 hours by the sudden.

Just an observation, but the episode wound up revolving around the number 46. They had initially had 4 people was it to go to the planet. And had only 6 hrs on the planet

pipi
April 25th, 2010, 08:31 PM
Does the ship role a dice when it makes a stop?

It's called a computer glitch :P aka. bug.

Stealth549
April 28th, 2010, 10:08 AM
Ok, what I can't understand is why the ship is accomodating the humans? Surly it was only designed for the Ancients use, who would have the master code to control the ship.

Girlbot
April 28th, 2010, 10:43 AM
I find it interesting that they have not found any land rover's of any kind in the Destiny. It would appear that whatever reason the Destiny stops at the planet , then whatever is needed from that planet is within a walking radius of 2-2.5 miles surrounding the gate. Giving time to spare for contingencies that might arise.
I also found it interesting that the eco system where they spent a month , had no insect or animal life.

randomking
April 28th, 2010, 11:05 AM
i think its because this plaint had nothing they needed....and archeology is lower on the totem poll than food water and what not

pipi
April 28th, 2010, 05:46 PM
I find it interesting that they have not found any land rover's of any kind in the Destiny. .

They are still exploring the ship and there was that robot thing they found but haven't played with yet. They'll find something eventually.

SaberBlade
April 28th, 2010, 05:48 PM
I think it's more along the lines of Destiny knowing there is something of importance on the planet. She may stop for 3 hours at a planet if there is nothing of real interest to the crew, but 12 hours at a planet where they can restock.

pipi
April 29th, 2010, 03:49 AM
I think it's more along the lines of Destiny knowing there is something of importance on the planet. She may stop for 3 hours at a planet if there is nothing of real interest to the crew, but 12 hours at a planet where they can restock.

The count down clock starts to tick before they send the kinos through to get environmental readings. I don't believe Destiny can micro-manage the stop overs down to the hour with such limited data. But it still remains unexplained how Destiny can lock out gate addresses as soon as it drops out of FTL. Is there some sort of beacon that transmits data from each planet then gets processed in 1 millisecond before the crew even realises what has happen or what...

SG7
April 29th, 2010, 05:09 AM
The count down clock starts to tick before they send the kinos through to get environmental readings. I don't believe Destiny can micro-manage the stop overs down to the hour with such limited data. But it still remains unexplained how Destiny can lock out gate addresses as soon as it drops out of FTL. Is there some sort of beacon that transmits data from each planet then gets processed in 1 millisecond before the crew even realises what has happen or what...

Or perhaps the ship is able to scan planets just before it actually drops out of FTL. And then it locks out planets. I'll be willing to bet that it locks out those planets that cannot sustain life in any form. Such as ones that have no air or is filled with or made up of toxic gasses. After all other than the planet in "Faith" where the crew was able to spend a month on, the ship really hasn't given them enouh time go far enough from the gate to see if the planet has any better terraine. After all here on earth we have the deserts of Egypt and Africa and such, and they tend to go for miles upon miles and in a 12 hour span of walking we wouldn't be able to see anything different then the desert.

As for the land rovers. There is nothing to say that in a future episode they uncover more areas of the ship and find one or two. Though I'm doubting that we would ever see any that are found on Destiny. I'd find it more likely that they find something of the sort or other shuttlecraft on one of the planets that the Destiny drops out of FTL for.

Trinary
April 29th, 2010, 07:57 AM
So far, Destiny dialing gate based on database records with the best case scenario. Destiny seem has not scanning any planets. Otherwise, Destiny computer would alert about the new planet in Faith episode which is previously not exists when the seeder ship passed through on the same location.

kansaikimono
April 29th, 2010, 09:01 PM
Each time Destiny has stopped, it's as though she's anticipated a need and calculated just how much time they'll need to accomplish the task. I never thought that her arrival at the Ice Planet was about them getting water. I always figured it was for them to release the little alien insects that had piggy-backed from the Desert Planet. After all, the ice they melted for drinking water proved to be contaminated. Destiny apparently knew this before they did because she stopped at the Jungle Planet for their cure and somehow managed to coordinate it with a temporal shift so they could keep trying to catch the creepy monsters until they got it right. How deus ex machina!

I think if no one was on board, she wouldn't stop at all.

Pharaoh Atem
April 29th, 2010, 09:02 PM
Ok, what I can't understand is why the ship is accomodating the humans? Surly it was only designed for the Ancients use, who would have the master code to control the ship.

the ancients are humans.

3 points for PA

JustAnotherVoice
April 29th, 2010, 09:05 PM
the ancients are humans.

3 points for PA

It'd be more correct to say humans are ancients, since they came first.

Pharaoh Atem
April 29th, 2010, 09:11 PM
It'd be more correct to say humans are ancients, since they came first.

"hands over book" you will now learn how to read PA :P

Puddle-Jumper
April 29th, 2010, 09:40 PM
Well if the ancients were on board they could easily change it Id imagine, but Id say the computer had the information from the seeder ships and decided that the planet didn't hold any usable resources by the gate and alloted 6 hours for exploring the ruins.. if the ancients were there with high tech scanners Im sure 6 hours would have been ample time for exploring the ruins.. plus like I said they could just stop the count down

Id assume that it blocks out gate addresses based on what information its recieved from the seeder ship, and its not like they're properly locked out, they were able to dial them easily enough, it may just be more like destiny pointing the humans in the right direction as opposed to saying "no you only go here!! I am the DESTINY" etc

Blackhole
April 30th, 2010, 03:08 AM
Each time Destiny has stopped, it's as though she's anticipated a need and calculated just how much time they'll need to accomplish the task. I never thought that her arrival at the Ice Planet was about them getting water. I always figured it was for them to release the little alien insects that had piggy-backed from the Desert Planet. After all, the ice they melted for drinking water proved to be contaminated. Destiny apparently knew this before they did because she stopped at the Jungle Planet for their cure and somehow managed to coordinate it with a temporal shift so they could keep trying to catch the creepy monsters until they got it right. How deus ex machina!

I think if no one was on board, she wouldn't stop at all.

It would make for an interesting plot line for Destiny to be a semi-sentient ship. Maybe since the ship has waited for ages for a crew to return she is lonely and has helped them and given Rush a hint to the master access code so they would be able to communicate directly with her.

SG7
April 30th, 2010, 05:13 AM
It would make for an interesting plot line for Destiny to be a semi-sentient ship. Maybe since the ship has waited for ages for a crew to return she is lonely and has helped them and given Rush a hint to the master access code so they would be able to communicate directly with her.

I get the impression that the ship knows that there are humans on board too. Perhaps it is also helping them by locking out bad planets so that the crew isn't wasting time on planets that are of no use to them.