Stargate at Icarus Base

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stargate at Icarus Base

Last night's episode prompted a question. Was the gate on the Icarus Planet brought there because of the planet's unique properties or was it found there? Dr. Jackson's comment on the discovery of the planet implies the planet was more interesting than the Stargate. I wonder if the 9th chevron was supposed to be dialable from anywhere provided sufficent power was available? The fact that the proper address is from Earth does imply that the ancients originally planed to dial Destiny from Earth. That being the case did they have some power supply we are unaware of that is sufficient to power a gate to reach Destiny sans an Icarus type planet?
    All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story...

"Scott isn't out. Actually, he'll probably soon get back in, then out, then in, then out, then in, with rhythm and stamina." reddevil 4/22/2010

yes, joe mallozzi told us the gate was brought there when the planet was discovered, which would indicate tht you can use any gate as long as you have enough power.

Comment

Maybe the Ancients didn't have to use too much power way back when, since the Destiny was much closer to them before they ascended. It's reasonable to assume that the Destiny was probably millions, if not billions, of light years closer the last time they boarded it by stargate. Who knows, maybe the whole reason why they developed ZPMs was to access Destiny as it was wandering further away, and their conventional power sources could no longer dial Destiny. Of course, they would no longer have needed to develop even greater power sources to dial Destiny because after they developed ZPMs, they had their little war with the Wraith, and all power was going to fighting that war instead of dialing Destiny, and eventually they ascended anyway and wouldn't need the Destiny to explore the Universe.

Comment

They had their war with the wraith almost 5million years after making ZPMs, just to nit pick..

Comment

In the pilot, don't they say something about the gate being programmed only to dial out not accept incoming wormholes? To me the the way it was said implied it wasn't done by the humans, which would imply it was there before they arrived.

Comment

Originally posted by Phenomenological View Post
            In the pilot, don't they say something about the gate being programmed only to dial out not accept incoming wormholes? To me the the way it was said implied it wasn't done by the humans, which would imply it was there before they arrived.
            It wouldn't have been the gate being programmed but the DHD. So it could be possible that a DHD may have been on the planet. But i doubt it.

Comment

I'm not certain it would be the DHD. A gate can be dialled if no DHD is present, so the programming related to receiving a wormhole (And indeed connecting if the gate is manually dialled) is necessarily stored inside the gate itself. So it would be something in the gate that would need to be modified to prevent incoming wormholes connecting.

Comment

The exact quote is:
                WALLACE: So if the Stargate can instantly transport you to another planet, why did we fly here on a spaceship?

SCOTT: It's something to do with how this one's tied into the plane of the power. Apparently it's been modified to only dial out because incoming wormholes are too dangerous. You're the genius –- you could probably tell me better.
                The last sentence implies that the reason Scott used "apparently" is because that is how the tech. people explained why they were doing it.

So it would be something in the gate that would need to be modified to prevent incoming wormholes connecting.
                They've being reprogramming Stargates for years now (for example, McKay's macro for the 'Gate bridge).
                "From East Middle School. Suzumiya Haruhi. I have no interest in ordinary humans. If there are any aliens, time travelers, sliders, or espers here, come join me."
                - The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya; Best Character Introduction Ever.

"And can we lose the ten thousand year old dead plants?!"
                - Stargate: Atlantis (1x03) "Hide and Seek"

"Hammerheads do not load/unload units immediately – they must descend to ground level first. Initial experiments involving jump-jetting infantry into the Hammerhead’s cargo compartment met with unfortunate results."
                - Command&Conquer 3: Kane's Wrath Hammerhead Unit Spotlight

Comment

If they were so concerned about the safety of the base they disabled incoming wormholes, why were there so few defences against orbital attack? They only a had a couple of railguns. You'd think they might stick a small shield generator in to at least give them time to evacuate.

Comment

The whole bit about a "code" to dial Destiny's gate always bothered me. The chevrons represent a spatial position in space. Using another gate's chevron as the origin chevron should have blocked the proper connection.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackhole View Post
                      The whole bit about a "code" to dial Destiny's gate always bothered me. The chevrons represent a spatial position in space. Using another gate's chevron as the origin chevron should have blocked the proper connection.
                      The Destiny does not have a specific location. To dial the Destiny, you'd have to somehow tell it to get out of FTL and allow for gate travel. This might be one of the reasons it needs more power, to find and talk to the Destiny itself. And, to think of the Gate Network like our telephone network, we have short codes that allow you to dial/text so you wont have to dial the full number. Like "TEXT YOUR ANSWER NOW to 33223" and you could win a MILLION BUCKS. Does your phone stop you from texting this number (OK, mine does, but thats because for some reason it's disabled on my phone and my phone alone...everyone else can. I am too lazy to call and ask why) but for most people, you can use these short codes.

Think of the Destiny's address as a "short code" and the Gate Network will automatically find the correct address and go from there.

Originally posted by rsanchez View Post
                      Maybe the Ancients didn't have to use too much power way back when, since the Destiny was much closer to them before they ascended. It's reasonable to assume that the Destiny was probably millions, if not billions, of light years closer the last time they boarded it by stargate. Who knows, maybe the whole reason why they developed ZPMs was to access Destiny as it was wandering further away, and their conventional power sources could no longer dial Destiny. Of course, they would no longer have needed to develop even greater power sources to dial Destiny because after they developed ZPMs, they had their little war with the Wraith, and all power was going to fighting that war instead of dialing Destiny, and eventually they ascended anyway and wouldn't need the Destiny to explore the Universe.
                      I agree that yes at one point it might have used less power, but everything we know the Ancients never went to the Destiny.

Comment

Originally posted by Blistna View Post
                        The Destiny does not have a specific location. To dial the Destiny, you'd have to somehow tell it to get out of FTL and allow for gate travel. This might be one of the reasons it needs more power, to find and talk to the Destiny itself. And, to think of the Gate Network like our telephone network, we have short codes that allow you to dial/text so you wont have to dial the full number. Like "TEXT YOUR ANSWER NOW to 33223" and you could win a MILLION BUCKS. Does your phone stop you from texting this number (OK, mine does, but thats because for some reason it's disabled on my phone and my phone alone...everyone else can. I am too lazy to call and ask why) but for most people, you can use these short codes.

Think of the Destiny's address as a "short code" and the Gate Network will automatically find the correct address and go from there.

I agree that yes at one point it might have used less power, but everything we know the Ancients never went to the Destiny.
                        You make an excellent point. I hadn't considered that Destiny was in motion.

I always assumed the chevrons represented relative fixed spatial coordinates. In the Milky Way Galaxy one would think a moving ship's address would change as their position in the Galaxy changed; otherwise how would the origin DHD be able to look in the right part of space to find and connect to the ship's gate. Probably if one thought too hard about the whole 7 address system they would logically conclude there aren't enough chevrons to divide the galaxy into. With thousands of gates throughout the Galaxy how would the origin DHD be able to differentiate those gates that were very close to each other? With only 7 chevrons one would think the different permutations would point to a region of space large enough that there could be several gates in it. That being said how would the origin DHD be able to determine which gate to connect to? Stargate has never explained how the order of the chevrons works to localize position in the galaxy. Maybe the chevrons function like area codes depending on their position in the dialing sequence and somehow serve to localize position?

With the Destiny nearly a universe away how would the origin DHD be able to differentiate its gates from all the others that have been seeded near it?
                        Last edited by Blackhole; 25 April 2010, 08:03 AM.

Comment

If they were so concerned about the safety of the base they disabled incoming wormholes, why were there so few defences against orbital attack? They only a had a couple of railguns. You'd think they might stick a small shield generator in to at least give them time to evacuate.
                          Cause they felt the secretness of the base would do it.

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
                            Cause they felt the secretness of the base would do it.
                            Why is it that humans in the SG universe never learn? How many off world bases in both SG1 and Atlantis were compromised that were supposedly secret?

Comment

Icarus did have a shield

Comment

Working...
                              X