PDA

View Full Version : Background information on Icarus project & Rush & plot hole (spoiler)

ckwongau
April 24th, 2010, 03:57 AM
Background information on Icarus project & Rush

Dr Rush use a lucid dream/past memories as the base of the buffer to link his mind and ancient database.

What did we find out?

Dr Rush was recruited by Dr Jackson into the stargate program .
And he neglected his dying wife while he tried to figure out he ninth chevron problem.
In the end his wife died alone and Eli solve it while playing video game.

I can see why Destiny was so important to Rush consider what he gave up .

Something Daniel said about a Lucian alliance inside source gave them a location of a mining planet ,which could provide power for the ninth chevron.
So Was the Icarus planet was originally a Lucian alliance planet ,
Did Earth just took one of Lucian alliance planet by force?Was Earth the aggressor?
Earth should have expected retaliation from the Alliance ,they should better arm the base.

MattSilver 3k
April 24th, 2010, 03:59 AM
So was the Icarus planet originally a Lucian Alliance planet?

We were only told a spy in the LA told them of the planet, not that it was a LA planet specifically. Though I could be misinterpreting here.

And what's the plot hole?

EllieVee
April 24th, 2010, 04:03 AM
I think the question there was who else the spy told.

ckwongau
April 24th, 2010, 04:08 AM
We were only told a spy in the LA told them of the planet, not that it was a LA planet specifically. Though I could be misinterpreting here.

And what's the plot hole?

If that planet was once belong to the Lucian alliance , Earth should expect alliance attack from them anytime.and yet they still ship a VIP Earth Senator and his daughter to Icarus base

MattSilver 3k
April 24th, 2010, 04:14 AM
If that planet was once belong to the Lucian alliance , Earth should expect alliance attack from them anytime.and yet they still ship a VIP Earth Senator and is daughter to Icarus base

Well maybe they did, but they didn't expect that their ships would be juiced up enough to take on the Hammond.

ckwongau
April 24th, 2010, 04:20 AM
Well maybe they did, but they didn't expect that their ships would be juiced up enough to take on the Hammond.

A planet with f Naquadria, core, and they didn't expect the Lucian alliance to come back for it. with a fleet of mother ship.

Then again i didn't expect the Hammond not fire their Asgard beam weapon during the attack.

MattSilver 3k
April 24th, 2010, 04:23 AM
A planet with f Naquadria, core, and they didn't expect the Lucian alliance to come back for it. with a fleet of mother ship.

Then again i didn't expect the Hammond not fire their Asgard beam weapon during the attack.

I'm thinking lets not call out a plot hole yet. We do not even know that its an LA planet, nor the full circumstances (Maybe there was some kind of deal struck or something, and the LA broke it? Who knows?) of the whole sequence of events.

There's an upcoming LA arc in the last three episodes of the season, so maybe we'll get a clearer picture then.

General Jumper One
April 24th, 2010, 06:13 AM
Maybe they thought the LA didn't know because two years had gone by and the LA hadn't shown up.

Starsaber
April 24th, 2010, 06:32 AM

I'm guessing it was supposed to be installed Tuesday. ;)

UniverseSizePlotHole
April 24th, 2010, 07:21 AM
You have to wonder if the Lucian Alliance have operatives on Earth by now. Info that the Hammond would be the only Earth ship in range of Icarus post EATG without Asgard plasma beam weapons and the chance base shielding tech would be going down to allow Asgard transporters to work (thus detectable by LA ships) seems too coincedental to me.

I await the coming LA arc wondering how news got back to the LA since all 3 Ha'tak got gobbled by Icarus planet's destruction - that points to a possible security leak from SGC

thekillman
April 24th, 2010, 08:05 AM
actually i think they expected to blast the LA to hell with instadeath beams. with Naquahdriah apparently available to the LA (the LA knew of it and there was a mine, according to Jackson), the ships would be much, MUCH stronger than the average goauld mothership. which explains why the death rays didn't end the fight within 4 seconds

jelgate
April 24th, 2010, 08:50 AM
I don't see the plot hole. It was uninhabited planet. Given the vastness of space the probablity of Lucian Alliance wanting it are quite high

Commander Zelix
April 24th, 2010, 09:34 AM
Its a plot hole. How can they act surprised when the Icarus based has been found and attacked in Air when they took the information about the Icarus planet from the LA in the first place?

jelgate
April 24th, 2010, 09:51 AM
Its a plot hole. How can they act surprised when the Icarus based has been found and attacked in Air when they took the information about the Icarus planet from the LA in the first place?

I think your underestimting just how big the Milky Way is. Thier are billions of planets out there. It would such a big needle in a haystack for the Lucian Alliance to find the place.

Commander Zelix
April 24th, 2010, 10:00 AM
I think your underestimting just how big the Milky Way is. Thier are billions of planets out there. It would such a big needle in a haystack for the Lucian Alliance to find the place.
Not if it's the LA who gave the info to earth in the first place about the location of the Icarus planet.

jelgate
April 24th, 2010, 10:03 AM
Not if it's the LA who gave the info to earth in the first place about the location of the Icarus planet.

Yeah but the people on Earth have no way of knowing if their was a leak

s09119
April 24th, 2010, 10:15 AM

The United States was surprised when the aggressively-expanding Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor. Just because we, in hindsight, see something as obvious doesn't mean it was obvious to the people at the time.

Besides, all we know is that a spy in the Lucian Alliance told us about the planet. IMO, the most-likely explanation is that we had a mole in the organization, the Alliance stumbled upon this planet, our spy saw its value and passed said information on to us. Also, it's was two years between that and the attack, so Earth probably assumed they were safe and that the Lucian Alliance would never realize they had established a base on a planet they'd come across.

Stormtrooper
April 24th, 2010, 10:30 AM
I thought Icarus planet was a few light-years away from Earth. If anyone should know about its properties, wouldn't that be Earth?

I think this info was introduced in this episode to justify something else that otherwise wouldn't make sense in a future ep.

Targust
April 24th, 2010, 10:30 AM
1. They installed the shielding on Icarus Base to prevent beaming. There had to be a reason.
2. Maybe sending the Senator to the planet was a means to an end. I mean, all the time the LA could have attacked and they do so when the Senator and his daughter are on the base.][Hmmm.
3. The LA attack, the Hammond cannot beam anyone out, the only way is thru the stargate.
4. I don't see any plot holes from here! :p:p

Lahela
April 24th, 2010, 11:01 AM

Is it a plot hole if someone gives you something then their friends decide to try to take it back? Daniel said it was a contact within the LA, and they are not necessarily the same people who decided to attack. I get the impression the LA is quite big.

Shan Bruce Lee
April 24th, 2010, 11:20 AM

The spy may not have given them the "location" of the planet - just a gate address or some vague reference. We don't really know enough to know they knew where the planet was.

EllieVee
April 24th, 2010, 04:52 PM
Is it a plot hole if someone gives you something then their friends decide to try to take it back? Daniel said it was a contact within the LA, and they are not necessarily the same people who decided to attack. I get the impression the LA is quite big.

And not necessarily cohesive. They're not a military force, they're a bunch of space pirates.

Gollumpus
April 24th, 2010, 08:54 PM
They're not a military force, they're a bunch of space pirates.

Arrrrggh they?

regards,
G.

EllieVee
April 24th, 2010, 09:00 PM
Arrrrggh they?

regards,
G.

Haven't you been to one of their Galactic Talk Like a Pirate Day parties? So much fun!

the fifth man
April 24th, 2010, 09:09 PM
Haven't you been to one of their Galactic Talk Like a Pirate Day parties? So much fun!

Best rum in the galaxy.:D

Gollumpus
April 24th, 2010, 09:10 PM

I stopped attending after the Big Rift of a few years back. I never saw the importance of whether it should be "ARRrrrgh!" or "arRRRRghh!"

Being fluent in either of the forms meant it was not a big deal in my opinion.

regARRrrrghds,
G.

EllieVee
April 24th, 2010, 09:13 PM
I stopped attending after the Big Rift of a few years back. I never saw the importance of whether it should be "ARRrrrgh!" or "arRRRRghh!"

Being fluent in either of the forms meant it was not a big deal in my opinion.

regARRrrrghds,
G.

I know! I was there when it actually happened. Even the linguists couldn't agree and all the calls of 'Avast me hearties' couldn't stop the appalling display of bad behaviour.

Gollumpus
April 24th, 2010, 09:17 PM
Even calling them all a bunch of lubbers did nothing to deter the slap fights. And considering that a fair number of them have a hook those slap fights can be very messy.

regards,
G.

EllieVee
April 24th, 2010, 09:33 PM
Even calling them all a bunch of lubbers did nothing to deter the slap fights. And considering that a fair number of them have a hook those slap fights can be very messy.

regards,
G.

Did you see what happened with Captain Blackbeard's parrot? Shocking, I say, shocking.

thekillman
April 25th, 2010, 06:40 AM
last time i checked on SG1, the LA was dealt a head blow by having their leader killed. thats roughly 3 years ago. roughly 2.5 years ago we got the icarus planet, and less than half a year ago we got attacked.

besides, i think we were more surprised about the fact that we got attacked and weren't informed prior to the attack (since that's pretty much standard in the SG verse).

the base shield was there to defend the base, if they wanted beam jamming they could've just installed a jammer like in the SGC.

garhkal
April 25th, 2010, 03:38 PM
Iirc was it not Mitchell who help the new leader get into that position. Coudl she/he not be the spy who fed us info? And who is to say she is still in charge.

Avenger
April 25th, 2010, 04:08 PM
Not having the full background on how the SGC laned on the planet/set up the base/took the planet isn't a plot hole. It's just unexplained at this point. Unexplained doesn't mean plot hole.

the fifth man
April 25th, 2010, 07:14 PM
Not having the full background on how the SGC laned on the planet/set up the base/took the planet isn't a plot hole. It's just unexplained at this point. Unexplained doesn't mean plot hole.

Very well put.

pipi
April 26th, 2010, 04:18 AM

It was not found by random. Wasn't there a mine on that planet, so its location has to be in someone's navigational database. The LA attack in episode Air was definitely preplanned. It's not even confirmed if it was LA in the first place. Don't people usually like to hail another vessel before opening fire? Surrender or be destroyed.

jelgate
April 26th, 2010, 06:52 AM
It was not found by random. Wasn't there a mine on that planet, so its location has to be in someone's navigational database. The LA attack in episode Air was definitely preplanned. It's not even confirmed if it was LA in the first place. Don't people usually like to hail another vessel before opening fire? Surrender or be destroyed.

The Lucian Alliance finding the planet is not what is random. Obviously their is a leak somewhere. Its more of the Tauri side of why they are shocked. The Milky Way is so big with billions of planets that from the Tauri them finding the Icarus planet.

Doctor Freeman
August 10th, 2010, 11:01 AM
Really, the only plothole I can see here is that Carter didn't just blast the Lucian Alliance ships out of the sky.

Earth is at war with them, they aren't required to say hello before engaging our ships in combat and Carter wasn't under any obligation to be merciful to them so I don't get why she didn't open up with both barrels.