PDA

View Full Version : Arm in the event horizon ?

BigBoss
April 23rd, 2010, 10:16 PM
I really enjoyed this week episode however:

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k304/caronsim88/Sanstitre.jpg

They would have had plenty of time to save Eli, Chloe, Greer and Scott if someone had stuck his arm (or any other thing) in the event horizon of the gate to prevent Destiny from going to FTL... (Like in Air pt.3)

Lahela
April 23rd, 2010, 10:55 PM
But in Air3 that caused the ship to shudder and shake and they only did it for a couple of minutes - it would have taken hours to get Scott & Co out.

Pharaoh Atem
April 23rd, 2010, 10:56 PM
no cause if you remember the destiny was shaking quite badly while eli's arm was in the event horizon. at some point it may have jumped into ftl anyway and the person who's arm is in the gate might have lost it. plus at the very slow rate the sad military folks were removing those rocks it wouldn't be worth it.

Rykel
April 23rd, 2010, 11:36 PM
Gates an only stay open for a certain amount of time unless you're pumping a lot of power into them so it probably wouldn't have bought them near enough time.

escyos
April 23rd, 2010, 11:48 PM
yea like its been said the gat ecan only stay open 38 minutes, there was no way they could dig themselves out in time, and if they had anyone on the planet at the time, they too could have been stuck there.

dont worry you know they will get back to the ship

UniverseSizePlotHole
April 24th, 2010, 07:07 AM
They could have sent Franklin on a stretcher to the planet - and stuck him half in.
Its seems that might have been a way to actually get a reference to him in this show even though he WAS the first person in the chair!

*Sarcasm off!*

Delaying FTL not stopping Destiny's FTL seems to be what we've from seen so far.

thekillman
April 24th, 2010, 08:03 AM
or maybe stick a pole through. however i doubt the usefullness of the extra time.

it would've been great if they had sent the next few gate adresses to the people stuck there, so they could've catched up.

jelgate
April 24th, 2010, 08:47 AM
That may be true but you still have the 38 minute time frame which was not enough time

escyos
April 24th, 2010, 08:57 AM
or maybe stick a pole through. however i doubt the usefullness of the extra time.

it would've been great if they had sent the next few gate adresses to the people stuck there, so they could've catched up.

thats what they do in the next ep

Gollumpus
April 24th, 2010, 09:06 AM
Has it ever been established just how much living matter has to be in the event horizon? My meaning is: an arm? Wouldn't a finger do as well?

regards,
G.

escyos
April 24th, 2010, 09:21 AM
why stick anything in there, we know that radio waves can keep a gate open....not past the 38 minutes though....

....does that mean you can yell at the gate to keep it open?

The Shrike
April 24th, 2010, 09:35 AM
Someone should ask Nina Sharp if that's a good idea.

Mike.
April 24th, 2010, 10:53 AM
1. Even if the hand in the gate trick worked it would only buy them 38 minutes. That didn't seem enough considering how deep they were buried.

2. Would having the gate open keep Destiny from jumping into FTL ?
In Air III the gate was successfully kept open past the timer - BUT - Destiny's engines were already powering up and getting ready to jump, with no indication of stopping to wait for the gate. If they had kept the gate open longer, Destiny could have jumped regardless and the connection lost in the process. Bye, hand.

Fridgefiend
April 24th, 2010, 11:26 AM
They could have sent Franklin on a stretcher to the planet - and stuck him half in.
Its seems that might have been a way to actually get a reference to him in this show even though he WAS the first person in the chair!

*Sarcasm off!*

The reference last week wasn't enough? You want them to sit around and discuss his predicament with excruciating detail? He sat in the chair it fried his brain and now he's in a coma.

nuff said. They don't need to spend 5 minutes in every episodes saying "gee i wonder if Franklin is ok"

Phenomenological
April 24th, 2010, 11:29 AM
The stargate makes a pretty distinctive noise when it's shutting off, so if you were quick you'd be able to get your arm out in time. Do we know if inanimate objects actually hold the gate open or if the gate only holds for living tissue?

jelgate
April 24th, 2010, 11:36 AM
The stargate makes a pretty distinctive noise when it's shutting off, so if you were quick you'd be able to get your arm out in time. Do we know if inanimate objects actually hold the gate open or if the gate only holds for living tissue?

I've never seen Stargates distinguish organic matter from inorganic

Mike.
April 24th, 2010, 12:05 PM

In "38 minutes" (SGA) a puddle jumper got stuck halfway inside a gate. After the time limit the front half (and the pilot) would cease to exist and the people in the remaining back half would get exposed to space.

To get reintegrated on the other side the complete ship needed to go through, and yes - the body of the jumper (inanimate) was keeping the gate open.

garhkal
April 24th, 2010, 03:29 PM
I am surprised they only sent a few to help out dig the team. I would have sent all able bodied people... That might have made it go quicker.

Huewombman
April 24th, 2010, 03:48 PM
someone should ask nina sharp if that's a good idea.

lol!

SG7
April 24th, 2010, 09:52 PM
I am surprised they only sent a few to help out dig the team. I would have sent all able bodied people... That might have made it go quicker.

And then TPTB wouldn't have their instant 2 parter!

Saquist
April 24th, 2010, 10:25 PM
I really enjoyed this week episode however:

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k304/caronsim88/Sanstitre.jpg

They would have had plenty of time to save Eli, Chloe, Greer and Scott if someone had stuck his arm (or any other thing) in the event horizon of the gate to prevent Destiny from going to FTL... (Like in Air pt.3)

You're right they should have taken all the time they could buy to get them out...
Good catch.

Fridgefiend
April 24th, 2010, 11:02 PM

I doubt 20 extra people would fit too well into that little stair opening. Sure they could do a kind of pass it along deal but i doubt it would have been enough.

Replicator Todd
April 24th, 2010, 11:08 PM
I would of loved to see the effects it would of had on the Destiny.

Phenomenological
April 25th, 2010, 06:41 AM
On an unrelated note, looking at that picture, I love the look of the new event horizon. Liquid metal > water.

garhkal
April 25th, 2010, 03:35 PM
I doubt 20 extra people would fit too well into that little stair opening. Sure they could do a kind of pass it along deal but i doubt it would have been enough.

They could have assisted by digging around the top of the cave in to make another entrance.

Avenger
April 25th, 2010, 04:00 PM
Digging with their hands wouldn't really have been effective at all. Given the short period of time, the would have needed some serious heavy equipment to get everyone out.

pipi
April 26th, 2010, 03:59 AM
Digging with their hands wouldn't really have been effective at all. Given the short period of time, the would have needed some serious heavy equipment to get everyone out.

What happen to the kino powered board. :P

Saquist
April 26th, 2010, 07:57 AM
They wouldn't have been there in the first place if Greer at fired an entire round in to spider.
The P-90 is cable of single fire mode.

Fridgefiend
April 26th, 2010, 12:42 PM
They wouldn't have been there in the first place if Greer at fired an entire round in to spider.

It looked more like a short burst to me. Besides what if he had single fired and it turned out the spider had a super hard alien shell and then decapitated chloe?

hiro
April 26th, 2010, 01:05 PM
It looked more like a short burst to me. Besides what if he had single fired and it turned out the spider had a super hard alien shell and then decapitated chloe?
it's unlikely ... chloe has died 2 times ... a third "resurrection " of the character it's simple impossible

Mike.
April 26th, 2010, 01:19 PM
it's unlikely ... chloe has died 2 times ... a third "resurrection " of the character it's simple impossible

OMG, They killed Chloe. You ba****ds!

Meshakhad
April 26th, 2010, 01:56 PM

Scott and Eli would have ripped it apart with their bare hands.

Tuvok
April 26th, 2010, 02:25 PM
But in Air3 that caused the ship to shudder and shake and they only did it for a couple of minutes - it would have taken hours to get Scott & Co out.

That's what I was thinking . The ship was blowing fuses and rattling its bones and that was for barely over a Minute. The hours it would take to free them? Even the ship tore itself to bits or someone would ended up being called lefty..

Avenger
April 26th, 2010, 02:35 PM

And they wouldn't have been in the tunnel in the first place if Scott hadn't given the okay. And Chole and Eli wouldn't have been on the planet if Young hadn't given the okay. And they wouldn't have been on Destiny in the first place if Rush hadn't decided to dial the 9th Chevron while evacuating Icarus. And there wouldn't have been an Icarus base if Carter hadn't solved the stellar drift problem back at the beginning of SG1. I can go on and on if you want to play the ridiculous blame game.

SG7
April 27th, 2010, 06:17 AM
You're right they should have taken all the time they could buy to get them out...
Good catch.

Yeh, if they had sent as many as possible to help with the dig, then they may have been able to get them out if they had done an assembly line deal. Rather than have them blow a hole in the cave hoping to be able to get them out.

I doubt sticking a hand in the event horizon would have helped any, though it does seem like a gross oversight that someone didn't at least try that. Especially knowing that it has been done before. Worst that would have happened is they still weren't able to get them out. Or someone tries the arm thing and someone else points out that the idea is futile and wouldn't buy enough time.

Egle01
April 27th, 2010, 06:22 AM
E writes: “In “Human” – holding the gate open by sticking something into the event horizon would’ve given the rescue team only 38 minutes, but why didn’t they even try?”

Answer: In Air III, delaying the jump by having Eli stick his arm through the gate bought Scott and Greer the time they needed to reach the gate. In the case of the trapped team in Human, it was pretty clear that the time required would have far exceeded the 38 minute window.

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/2010/04/26/april-26-2010-its-an-all-mailbag-blog-entry/

Lord Nyarlathotep
April 28th, 2010, 07:07 PM
1. gates don't stay open that long
2. the destiny would shake to violently, causing a lot of damage

ngewakl
April 28th, 2010, 10:58 PM
Those soldiers were lazy. They should have been working double-time to get move those rocks. If I was Young, I'd throw them out of the airlock.

jelgate
April 29th, 2010, 05:10 AM
Those soldiers were lazy. They should have been working double-time to get move those rocks. If I was Young, I'd throw them out of the airlock.

Thats crazy. They were working as fast as possble

garhkal
April 29th, 2010, 03:55 PM
It seemed from what little they showed, to ME that they were not working that fast..

jelgate
April 29th, 2010, 04:23 PM
It seemed from what little they showed, to ME that they were not working that fast..

What episode were you watching? Depending on the mass of the material they can only carry so much without damange to themselves

The Mighty 6 platoon
April 29th, 2010, 04:34 PM

It was a g36, it was a panicky situation, and he had no idea what effete the rounds would have on it, as someone said it could have had an armoured shell.

Phenomenological
April 30th, 2010, 03:20 AM
For something that small to have an armoured shell capable of deflecting a bullet it would have to be very thick in relation to its body. Thick armoured shells don't go hand in hand with agility, or indeed the ability to crawl across ceilings. Seems pretty likely one would have done the job.

pipi
April 30th, 2010, 03:22 AM
What episode were you watching? Depending on the mass of the material they can only carry so much without damange to themselves

I find them pretty slow too. A lack of protein and energy should be a sufficient excuse.

The Mighty 6 platoon
April 30th, 2010, 04:26 AM
For something that small to have an armoured shell capable of deflecting a bullet it would have to be very thick in relation to its body. Thick armoured shells don't go hand in hand with agility, or indeed the ability to crawl across ceilings. Seems pretty likely one would have done the job.

Greer's a Marine, not an entomologist. Close quarters battle calls for burst fire, it was heat of the moment and Greer reacted. Further you have no idea whether one round will have done the job, muliple rounds are often require on targts to put them down.