April 23rd, 2010, 06:37 PM
Why are there always giant spiders?

TheRandomOne
April 23rd, 2010, 06:55 PM

Would you rather there be giant poop as enemies ? Thatd be bad ass

Specter177
April 23rd, 2010, 07:01 PM
Because giant spiders are creepy as hell.

Skydiver
April 23rd, 2010, 07:02 PM
folks, please, keep spoilers out of thread titles :)

CCA
April 23rd, 2010, 07:03 PM

Because most people get shivers down their spine when it involves spiders. I don't know about any of you, I'd seen those cobwebs and be like peace out homes, I'll be chillin' up top. I do NOT do bugs, or spiders for no love or money ;)

Xyonte
April 23rd, 2010, 07:04 PM
Yes, they are creepy, but i mean really? Its been over used way to many times.

I kinda wish that it had, rather than giant spiders, it had maybe something that appeared to have multiple legs but also have organic outer structure and possibly make goo rather than webs.

Makenshi
April 23rd, 2010, 07:05 PM
I'm more concerned about
Mod Note : Spoiler for "Lost"
the dinossaurs next week...

prion
April 23rd, 2010, 07:06 PM

becuase they like giant spiders. people freak at spiders. i don't mind them, as long as they don't bite me.

arachnids always get a bum rap...

CCA
April 23rd, 2010, 07:08 PM
Mod note : Spoilers For "Lost" under tag.

I'm more concerned about the dinossaurs next week...

I know right haha. Why do I suddenly hear Jurrasic Park quotes, "Eli dial the gate, must go faster!."

Starsaber
April 23rd, 2010, 07:10 PM
Mod Note : Spoilers for "Lost" under tags

I know right haha. Why do I suddenly hear Jurrasic Park quotes, "Eli dial the gate, must go faster!."

Maybe it's just because I watched The Siege Part 1 a few weeks ago, but the quote I was thinking of was "Looked an awful lot like a T-Rex, sir."

TheRandomOne
April 23rd, 2010, 07:11 PM
Mod Note : Spoilers for ""Lost" under the tags.

I can see Greer being the Jeff Goldblum guy with Scott being Sam Neill

CCA
April 23rd, 2010, 07:18 PM
I can so see that, haha. So is Eli and Chole the two kids hahaha

Or wait, better yet. "Spiders, why does it always have to be spiders." A bit of a twist, I couldn't resist with them being in ruins and all :)

jsonitsac
April 23rd, 2010, 08:29 PM
It sort of reminded me of that creature that was locked in Marduk's sarcophagus with him.

Astria
April 23rd, 2010, 08:36 PM
Freaking huge space spiders. Creepy as hell. (Oh, god Arachnophobia acting up.)

globex
April 23rd, 2010, 08:59 PM
Would you rather there be giant poop as enemies ? Thatd be bad ass

:lol:

jelgate
April 23rd, 2010, 09:05 PM
Probably the easyiness of drawing spiders in CGI

garhkal
April 23rd, 2010, 09:08 PM
I would have prefered a scorpion like creature..

Lahela
April 23rd, 2010, 11:00 PM
I'm more concerned about the dinossaurs next week...

For fraks sake, do those of us who don't watch previews and actively avoid spoilers for upcoming ups have to stay out of threads for eps we've seen so that inconsiderate people can openly post spoilers everywhere??? The rules state clearly that no spoilers for future eps are to be given in these episode threads :rolleyes:

pipi
April 24th, 2010, 12:12 AM
Was a bit lame.

MattSilver 3k
April 24th, 2010, 12:15 AM
Meh, it didn't need to be anything special. Giant spider was good enough.

Besides, lame or not, it helped along the plot, and we got a great line from Scott: "It was a sizeable spider, sir." :lol:

Lahela
April 24th, 2010, 12:22 AM
That was a great line :D

I admit to screaming a bit and covering my eyes until I heard Greer fire :o After that, I spent the whole time scanning the walls and ceiling when they showed the tunnel :o

The Mighty 6 platoon
April 24th, 2010, 03:36 AM
That was a great line :D

I admit to screaming a bit and covering my eyes until I heard Greer fire :o After that, I spent the whole time scanning the walls and ceiling when they showed the tunnel :o

Sorry I shouldnt laugh, now I was fine with spiders, if it were a snake though.... brrrrr :D

EllieVee
April 24th, 2010, 03:48 AM
Eh, spider, shmider. You should have seen the one I tossed out of the house last week. Big scary spider afraid of a little rain. Sheesh. Plus my garage is full of redbacks.

Sorry I shouldnt laugh, now I was fine with spiders, if it were a snake though.... brrrrr :D

Snakes = shoes.

The Mighty 6 platoon
April 24th, 2010, 03:53 AM
Snakes = shoes.

I live in England remember Ellie, no snakes apart from the occasional adder. The rest of the wildlife is pretty docile though I wouldn't trust the sheep...

EllieVee
April 24th, 2010, 03:57 AM
I live in England remember Ellie, no snakes apart from the occasional adder. The rest of the wildlife is pretty docile though I wouldn't trust the sheep...

I thought I had a snake under my water tank. I was really scared because my dog started going nuts at it. Put him inside and turned on the hose at full blast. Maybe it was something else or the snake left. They like water tanks. My aunt had a tiger snake under her water tank but it left. I don't leave food outside and don't use a compost. Composts attract mice; mice attract snakes. My friend had a red belly black in her chicken coup but they're pretty shy.

The Mighty 6 platoon
April 24th, 2010, 04:03 AM
I thought I had a snake under my water tank. I was really scared because my dog started going nuts at it. Put him inside and turned on the hose at full blast. Maybe it was something else or the snake left. They like water tanks. My aunt had a tiger snake under her water tank but it left. I don't leave food outside and don't use a compost. Composts attract mice; mice attract snakes. My friend had a red belly black in her chicken coup but they're pretty shy.

You see that's Australia, with your crazy wildlife, snakes and spiders everywhere. You know what the most exciting animal thing I've had to deal with recently, here in the depths of the English countryside? A neighbouring farmers cow escaped and went for a walk round the village. :D

EllieVee
April 24th, 2010, 04:11 AM
You see that's Australia, with your crazy wildlife, snakes and spiders everywhere. You know what the most exciting animal thing I've had to deal with recently, here in the depths of the English countryside? A neighbouring farmers cow escaped and went for a walk round the village. :D

Did it beat up anyone? Some bloke in Australia went for a run and got beaten up by a kangaroo a couple of months ago.

Billz
April 24th, 2010, 04:43 AM
I have a phobia of spiders so seeing a giant one with a head that looked similar to the Xenomorphs from the Alien Quadrilogy was quite disconcerting.

In other words, scared the sh*t out of me, even though it was just CGI.

I don't care if anyone thinks that is pathetic. Still scared sh*tless of spiders.

Lahela
April 24th, 2010, 04:49 AM
I have a phobia of spiders so seeing a giant one with a head that looked similar to the Xenomorphs from the Alien Quadrilogy was quite disconcerting.

In other words, scared the sh*t out of me, even though it was just CGI.

I don't care if anyone thinks that is pathetic. Still scared sh*tless of spiders.

I understand completely (even if M6P thinks I'm a whimp :p). After growing up in Australia, I can't stand them. Snakes are fine, but spiders are... horrible. I still check the laundry room in my apartment building every time I go in there, even though they don't have big spiders in Switzerland and I've been here nearly nine years. It's a phobia for life. The writers chose well, IMO!

Vapor
April 24th, 2010, 05:30 AM
For me, my only thought was "Did it have to be something so recognizably Earth-like?"

I would have preferred it be some kind of insect, but not easily identifiable. Just something alien, and generally freaky as hell.

Ser Scot A Ellison
April 24th, 2010, 05:41 AM
No, not lame. Spiders, particuarly large spiders, creep the hell out of me and a fairly large number of people on the planet. Hence their frequent use as "monsters." The fact that some people keep spiders as pets has never failed to perplex me.

thekillman
April 24th, 2010, 07:55 AM
actually i don't know if it was a spider. it looked like something with many eyes and legs, and well, a spider has that too.

and i found many humorous and reference things in this episodes. like Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy. maybe this was added BECAUSE it was cliche?

jelgate
April 24th, 2010, 08:45 AM
I understand completely (even if M6P thinks I'm a whimp :p). After growing up in Australia, I can't stand them. Snakes are fine, but spiders are... horrible. I still check the laundry room in my apartment building every time I go in there, even though they don't have big spiders in Switzerland and I've been here nearly nine years. It's a phobia for life. The writers chose well, IMO!

Both are easily stomped by the foot

EllieVee
April 24th, 2010, 08:47 AM

Both what?

Gollumpus
April 24th, 2010, 08:58 AM
You know what the most exciting animal thing I've had to deal with recently, here in the depths of the English countryside? A neighbouring farmers cow escaped and went for a walk round the village. :D

Did it beat up anyone?

Cows are notorious for using low blows when fighting...

regards,
G.

Shan Bruce Lee
April 24th, 2010, 11:31 AM

Unless the spider gets you in your sleep...

The Mighty 6 platoon
April 24th, 2010, 12:03 PM
Did it beat up anyone? Some bloke in Australia went for a run and got beaten up by a kangaroo a couple of months ago.

Nope, and it just shows how interesting visits back to my parents house really are. :D

It was the highlight of the week for the village, the cow going for a stroll. :P

Egle01
April 24th, 2010, 12:50 PM
I'm more concerned about the dinossaurs next week...:mad: What the hell's wrong with you? This is "Human" folder. Some here stay away from spoilers about future episodes.

*takes a deep breath*

Didn't like big spiders. Somehow too unoriginal.

Wayston
April 24th, 2010, 01:23 PM
if I hadn't read the first dude's post yet I'd be pretty pissed at you too for quoting that btw ;)

Egle01
April 24th, 2010, 01:26 PM
if I hadn't read the first dude's post yet I'd be pretty pissed at you too for quoting that btw ;)Doesn't make it right. But I get the hint and will fix it.

Blistna
April 24th, 2010, 03:13 PM

I was thinking why giant spiders. But if you believe in the theory of evolution (I don't) it would make sense why there would be spiders on other planets. Having eight leg's really, really would give you an edge of survival. But in general...like everyone said, it's creepy!

Albeno
April 24th, 2010, 07:21 PM
so nobody gives a crap that spiders are on a planet on the other side of the universe? It's just ****ing impossible that they evolved there, why are the devs being this unimaginative?!

Ragitsu
April 24th, 2010, 07:28 PM
For me, my only thought was "Did it have to be something so recognizably Earth-like?"

I would have preferred it be some kind of insect, but not easily identifiable. Just something alien, and generally freaky as hell.

Spiders are pretty darn alien as is, and, as others have voiced, quite freaky (in their own way).

jds1982
April 24th, 2010, 07:30 PM
so nobody gives a crap that spiders are on a planet on the other side of the universe? It's just ****ing impossible that they evolved there, why are the devs being this unimaginative?!

It's not impossible at all. If they evolved here, than given similar conditions something similar could evolve elsewhere.

Ragitsu
April 24th, 2010, 07:54 PM
And here I thought science-fiction was about possibilities, not im-possibilities.

Albeno
April 24th, 2010, 08:02 PM
Can you explain what this last bit that I've bolded is supposed to indicate?

Profanity for emphasis. The suggestion that the evolution of spiders on the other side of the universe is actually probable is ridiculous and prompts a ridiculous response.

And here I thought science-fiction was about possibilities, not im-possibilities.

And isn't it sad that with those limitless possibilities, all we could come up with was bipedal blue aliens and spiders?

EllieVee
April 24th, 2010, 08:05 PM
Profanity for emphasis. The suggestion that the evolution of spiders on the other side of the universe is actually probable is ridiculous and prompts a ridiculous response.

Actually, no. It's simply rude. I'm quite sure, however, had the spider been in a particular other show, you'd have been fine with it. How's the army going?

And isn't it sad that with those limitless possibilities, all we could come up with was bipedal blue aliens and spiders?

Bored now.

Albeno
April 24th, 2010, 08:15 PM
Actually, no. It's simply rude. I'm quite sure, however, had the spider been in a particular other show, you'd have been fine with it. How's the army going?

I'm rude? Look at the keyboard warrior here with the personal attacks. BTW, my gripe here is that the devs specifically told us that they were going to make the encounters in this show a lot more alien. The fact of the matter is, they've gone back on that by giving us four-limbed blue dudes and giant spiders. The sand creatures and the squids from time worked towards that promise, now they're just being unimaginative. So unless it turns out that the Ancients brought spiders from earth to that planet and experimented on them, I'm afraid SGU loses respect points from me...

EllieVee
April 24th, 2010, 08:19 PM
I'm rude? Look at the keyboard warrior here with the personal attacks. BTW, my gripe here is that the devs specifically told us that they were going to make the encounters in this show a lot more alien. The fact of the matter is, they've gone back on that by giving us four-limbed blue dudes and giant spiders. The sand creatures and the squids from time worked towards that promise, now they're just being unimaginative. So unless it turns out that the Ancients brought spiders from earth to that planet and experimented on them, I'm afraid SGU loses respect points from me...

Did it ever?

Gollumpus
April 24th, 2010, 08:19 PM
There looked to be a few differences between the "spider" in the ruins and our own version.

1.) Size - that thing looked pretty big.

2.) Mouth - the whole mouth area looked different from what I know of spiders (and I'm no expert).

The form could indeed be a standard kind of physical type throughout the universe. I wouldn't think it would be common, but to find something spider-like in every galaxy to me wouldn't be that surprising.

We could also look at it as being a tip of the hat to those who play D&D where giant spiders are a common low level creature for new players. If that was the case then maybe they should have gone with a green slime or something of that sort. :)

regards,
G.

Albeno
April 24th, 2010, 08:28 PM
Did it ever?

:/

The form could indeed be a standard kind of physical type throughout the universe.

Every creature is the product of millions of years of evolution. They're all a result of adaptation to an insane amount of specific
environmental variables. If something actually did independently evolve to look that much like a spider, it would be mind boggling.

Lord Hurin
April 24th, 2010, 08:36 PM
Every creature is the product of millions of years of evolution. They're all a result of adaptation to an insane amount of specific
environmental variables. If something actually did independently evolve to look that much like a spider, it would be mind boggling.

I think you're missing the point here. The creature did it's job; it scared or startled both the characters and the viewers. It was in a 10-second snippet, if that. MGM is not doing well financially and they probably figured that adapting an already existing wireframe somewhat is much cheaper than spending time and money developing a whole new creature.

And again, like I said, the "spider" wasn't exactly prominent. It was a plot device.

Albeno
April 24th, 2010, 08:43 PM
So where was the wireframe for the creature in the SG1 episode "The Tomb"?

the fifth man
April 24th, 2010, 08:44 PM
I had no problem with the spider. Actually, I thought it looked pretty cool.

Gollumpus
April 24th, 2010, 08:51 PM

Yup, and they got lucky and hit the one planet. Maybe that's what destiny wanted them to find... :P

regards,
G.

Lord Hurin
April 24th, 2010, 08:56 PM
So where was the wireframe for the creature in the SG1 episode "The Tomb"?

I'll have to look that one up, but in my experience reusing props and such is more of an "in-universe" headache than anything. Look at the Destiny space suits, recycled from the "Evil Asgard" on SGA. People have been trying to figure out whether the Asgard used Ancient suits, or if all four Great Races contributed to the Destiny project or what. In the end, MGM had an expensive prop laying around that only got used once so they decided to get more regular usage out of them.

I don't find most people having a huge problem with the creature. I'd rather the money that could go into "brainstorming sessions" and CGI wireframes go into cast salaries, filming, etc. As I said, MGM is in trouble and there's currently no daring rescue in sight. :(

Womble
April 24th, 2010, 09:39 PM
Eh, spider, shmider. You should have seen the one I tossed out of the house last week. Big scary spider afraid of a little rain. Sheesh. Plus my garage is full of redbacks.
Well, Australia is pretty much another planet, fauna wise.

Garage full of redbacks... THAT is creepy. My friends' family who hosted me in Australia had sizeable herds of huntsmen in their shed, but I only saw one redback in over a month.

EllieVee
April 24th, 2010, 09:58 PM
Well, Australia is pretty much another planet, fauna wise.

Garage full of redbacks... THAT is creepy. My friends' family who hosted me in Australia had sizeable herds of huntsmen in their shed, but I only saw one redback in over a month.

I'm only going to bomb it if they start getting in my car.

jds1982
April 25th, 2010, 06:04 PM
And the probability of the conditions being exactly the same, and the creature looking more or less EXACTLY THE SAME?!

Very ****ing low buddy, very low.

I'm sorry I didn't realize I was offending the absolute authority on everything. Let's see, the probability of the conditions being exactly the same or similar are very low, but considering the vastness of the universe the probability that those conditions wouldn't exist are also very low. When you consider that in the show, the seeder ships put stargates on planets within the survivable range of humans, than the probability of the crew encountering Earthlike conditions is very high to absolutely certain. Now given that the crew is pretty much going to encounter Earthlike planets, they are probably going to encounter creatures that have evolved to take advantage of those conditions. Such creatures would have to be able to sense their environment, so things like noses, eyes, and ears are likely to evolve. They would most likely need to utilize resources from their environment for energy, which coincidentally, digestive systems are good at, so things like mouths are likely to evolve. If they are animals or animal-like they will need to move. Things like flagella, fins, wings, legs, and muscular contractions are pretty good for moving, and are likely to evolve. Are they certain to evolve? Absolutely not, but they can evolve. Given similar conditions, similar structures can evolve. It's called convergent evolution. There have been separate evolutions of many structures on Earth (eyes, wings), simply because those structures are good at what they are supposed to do.

Lord Hurin
April 25th, 2010, 07:20 PM
I'm sorry I didn't realize I was offending the absolute authority on everything. Let's see, the probability of the conditions being exactly the same or similar are very low, but considering the vastness of the universe the probability that those conditions wouldn't exist are also very low. When you consider that in the show, the seeder ships put stargates on planets within the survivable range of humans, than the probability of the crew encountering Earthlike conditions is very high to absolutely certain. Now given that the crew is pretty much going to encounter Earthlike planets, they are probably going to encounter creatures that have evolved to take advantage of those conditions. Such creatures would have to be able to sense their environment, so things like noses, eyes, and ears are likely to evolve. They would most likely need to utilize resources from their environment for energy, which coincidentally, digestive systems are good at, so things like mouths are likely to evolve. If they are animals or animal-like they will need to move. Things like flagella, fins, wings, legs, and muscular contractions are pretty good for moving, and are likely to evolve. Are they certain to evolve? Absolutely not, but they can evolve. Given similar conditions, similar structures can evolve. It's called convergent evolution. There have been separate evolutions of many structures on Earth (eyes, wings), simply because those structures are good at what they are supposed to do.

Very well stated :)

Shan Bruce Lee
April 25th, 2010, 07:43 PM
When you find a spider that looks like that on Earth you can whine all you like. I've never seen one.

To me it just looked like an alien spider-looking thing on a planet with conditions a lot like Earth.

EllieVee
April 25th, 2010, 08:23 PM
Actually, most of the spiders in my garage are exactly like that ...

Pharaoh Atem
April 25th, 2010, 08:26 PM

cause someone dressing up in a monster suit is so 1960
s

vszulc
April 25th, 2010, 10:22 PM
My problem wasn't so much the spider, than the whole setup to it.
A spider like creature living in catacombs? Sure I'll buy that. Or I would, if there were any other signs of life besides that one. If we're to believe that evolution created a creature like that, where's the rest of the animal life? (what on earth does it live off?)

And of course it happens on a planet, where the Destiny only stops for six hours, and of course Greer shot off half a clip of ammo, instead of shooting with a short 3 burst like the military is trained to. The whole thing just seemed like a cheap set up and unimaginative episode-filler to me.

And unfortunately, we didn't hear a word on what made the place interesting in the first place: The ruins and the aliens who build them.

EllieVee
April 26th, 2010, 12:07 AM
A spider like creature living in catacombs? Sure I'll buy that. Or I would, if there were any other signs of life besides that one. If we're to believe that evolution created a creature like that, where's the rest of the animal life? (what on earth does it live off?)

Consider that given how cobwebby it was, there are likely to be insects of some sort. Birds. Reptiles. The possibilities are as infinite as your imagination allows. A far more interesting question for me is what would live on it.

And of course it happens on a planet, where the Destiny only stops for six hours, and of course Greer shot off half a clip of ammo, instead of shooting with a short 3 burst like the military is trained to. The whole thing just seemed like a cheap set up and unimaginative episode-filler to me.

Perhaps you didn't see the ending where it was clearly a set-up for the following episode.

And unfortunately, we didn't hear a word on what made the place interesting in the first place: The ruins and the aliens who build them.

I know! Brilliant! :D

SBN
April 26th, 2010, 12:28 AM
The alternative could always be highly imaginative creatures that have zero probability of ever existing? The vast majority of creatures both great and small shown in both SciFi and Horror films tend to be unrealistic enough that it is only in one's imagination they could ever exist.

I tend to believe however there are certain laws governing how, where, why it exists. Earth is a pretty good place to study how life evolves, in fact right now it is the only known place we can study. There are over 1.5 million species on earth, vast majority (90% I believe) are insects. There is a reason for that, just like there is a reason the cockroaches will inherit the earth after we nuke it. So seeing an insect like creature on a foreign planet does not surprise me, in fact odds are given what we know now, this is the probability of what we would find first.

Sure it could have been a flying purple dragon with 3 heads, but really this is Science Fiction after all. Like the creatures in the Alien movies, while they are quite scary good fun, they are also an impracticality that will never exist outside of a few films.

vszulc
April 26th, 2010, 01:52 AM
The vast majority of creatures both great and small shown in both SciFi and Horror films tend to be unrealistic enough that it is only in one's imagination they could ever exist.

Well that's your opinion, and you obviously don't know that much about evolutionary biology.
There is no set of rules that govern how life would develop, and the circumstances that have affected life on our planet, meteor showers, ice ages, mass extinctions are unique events that ensure that if life would develop anywhere else, it would most likely be drastically different from what we see on earth.

Bipedal motion for example, is widespread on earth for example, but there's no reason why creatures with 3 or 6 or 8 limbs wouldn't become dominant on another planet. The sky really is the limit here, along with the imagination of the writers, and while I agree with you that there's no reason to go overboard, a giant spider is just as lazy as you can get.

I know! Brilliant!

Stuff like this is probably the reason for SGU's failing ratings. Instead of giving viewers what they want (Scifi and action, though there's no reason why that can't be served with a healthy serving of characterisation and an ensemble cast), all the sci-fi and action elements in SGU apparently only exist to lead up to more halfassed, averagely executed character-drama.

EllieVee
April 26th, 2010, 02:02 AM
Stuff like this is probably the reason for SGU's failing ratings. Instead of giving viewers what they want (Scifi and action, though there's no reason why that can't be served with a healthy serving of characterisation and an ensemble cast), all the sci-fi and action elements in SGU apparently only exist to lead up to more halfassed, averagely executed character-drama.

Just so you know, I was being ironic ... http://www.dolforums.com.au/style_emoticons/default/noidea.gif

vszulc
April 26th, 2010, 02:07 AM
I know... I was just going off on a tangent, cause it really ****es me off that this show has so much potential, and then proceeds to completely waste it, every time it has a chance for a little actual scifi or action :(

EllieVee
April 26th, 2010, 03:31 AM
I know... I was just going off on a tangent, cause it really ****es me off that this show has so much potential, and then proceeds to completely waste it, every time it has a chance for a little actual scifi or action :(

Well, if you're going to do that I suggest you don't quote people.

Besides, your rant is nonsense. You don't know what people want; you can only say what you want. If you want superficial action adventure then this isn't the show for you.

The Mighty 6 platoon
April 26th, 2010, 06:01 AM

Must the whole episode be a nature documentary to satisfy your nitpicking? It's an earth like planet, I'm sure there's plenty of wildlife, but if you happened to take a walk through the wild, even on good old earth, you aren't going to be mobbed by animals. Prey will try and stay out of your way, what your more likely to see, just like in SGU are the predators.

And actually Greer fired several bursts. The G36 has no burst selector, you can't pull the trigger and let out 3 round bursts, it goes safe, semi auto, full auto, so getting neat 3 round bursts isn't going to happen. Greer fires several 3 to 5 round bursts in short succession with the weapon on fully auto, relying on his own judgment and in a panicked situation they aren't going to be perfect bursts of fire of the same length. And it's magazine not clip (sorry military nitpickiness kicking in here).

prion
April 26th, 2010, 10:42 AM

Oh please, a kangaroo? (said with mock acerbicity or whatever) . Some guy in NZ got beaten up by a WOMBAt! A cute cuddly wombat! Aiee, the world has gone mad!

But, back to George (@marksavela wonders about my naming his critters), our poor dear departed arachnid, who was merely defending his home from the noisy ill-considerate human intruders. The thing that the folks trapped down there shoudl taken into consideration is that a spider that size is usually eating something it's own size or considerably bigger. THAT's what I'd worry about. but in reality, it's usually the teensy black widow that bites you on the butt (yes, many people are bitten there) that's the more poisonous ones.

MattSilver 3k
April 26th, 2010, 10:47 AM

Warning: Viewers Opinions May Differ.

I'm thinking that you're just hoping SGU becomes something it isn't...

Spimman
April 26th, 2010, 10:56 AM
I thought the spider thingy was kinda cool, although I'll admit some differences (even slight ones) would go a long way in impressing me even more.

fmbchris
April 26th, 2010, 11:51 AM
The spider kinda reminds me of the ones from Steven King's "The Mist", they had jaws and white teeth just like the one in this episode. I wonder if anyone else made the connection?

vszulc
April 26th, 2010, 03:04 PM
Warning: Viewers Opinions May Differ.

I'm thinking that you're just hoping SGU becomes something it isn't...

I'm hoping it becomes better first of all. It's not the genre I have something against, and I could definetely live with something that isn't a copy of SG1/SGA.

And who knows where it'll go. They might have to rettol the show with the current ratings.

garhkal
April 26th, 2010, 04:50 PM
The spider kinda reminds me of the ones from Steven King's "The Mist", they had jaws and white teeth just like the one in this episode. I wonder if anyone else made the connection?

I saw the film a while back, so did not see the resembalance.

Gollumpus
April 26th, 2010, 05:55 PM
There are a number of differences between the "spider" on SGU and our own little friends here on Earth.

The jaw structure on that creature is not like any spider I've ever seen. It looked like a fully moving set of jaws, not the kind of structure like our spiders.

Also, did you notice that that creature was a mammal? Fooled me as well.

regards,
G.

pipi
April 26th, 2010, 06:38 PM
You people are taking the spider too seriously. It could have been a giant scorpion stuck to the roof for all that matters. It was just a cheesey lame gimmic.

Egle01
April 27th, 2010, 02:05 AM
Also, did you notice that that creature was a mammal? Fooled me as well.How so?

EllieVee
April 27th, 2010, 02:29 AM
You people are taking the spider too seriously. It could have been a giant scorpion stuck to the roof for all that matters. It was just a cheesey lame gimmic.

I understand your frustration.

Shan Bruce Lee
April 27th, 2010, 04:05 AM
Actually, most of the spiders in my garage are exactly like that ...

2' wide with an alien face? I think I'd move.

There are a number of differences between the "spider" on SGU and our own little friends here on Earth.

The jaw structure on that creature is not like any spider I've ever seen. It looked like a fully moving set of jaws, not the kind of structure like our spiders.

Also, did you notice that that creature was a mammal? Fooled me as well.

regards,
G.

It looked like that thing had more than 8 legs too.

EllieVee
April 27th, 2010, 04:24 AM
2' wide with an alien face? I think I'd move.

In a country where even the cute animals can kill you, giant spiders aren't much of an issue.

It looked like that thing had more than 8 legs too.

And really big teef.

MattSilver 3k
April 27th, 2010, 04:26 AM
And really big teef

Well how 'bout that.

mrshorty
April 27th, 2010, 06:01 AM
Maybe it can actually speak in perfect CNN English like many other races, maybe it was just trying to say hello, before Greer dishes out the lead supplement therapy. :)

FallenAngelII
April 27th, 2010, 07:02 AM
The spider was entirely CGI. Because it was CGI, they should've gone for something other than what looks exactly like a giant Earth spider. I mean, come on. Billions of light years away from Earth, they encounter a spider? Not a giant two-headed dragon-duck hybrid or something?

EllieVee
April 27th, 2010, 07:06 AM
That would have been funny. Just a duck on the ceiling.

wargrafix
April 27th, 2010, 07:56 AM
spiders were a bit lame. and people who are concerned about spoilers

*Mod Note : Spoiler for Lost under tag.

The dinosaur. that's life.

Spimman
April 27th, 2010, 11:10 AM
they should've gone for something other than what looks exactly like a giant Earth spider... dragon-duck hybrid or something?

That would have been funny. Just a duck on the ceiling.

Greer: Don't move.
Chloe: Why, what is it?
(All look up to see a 2 headed duck with teeth waddling along the ceiling)
Greer: Ruuuuunnnnn! (Firing Weapon)
---------------------------------------------------------
Scott: Sir, we're in a bit of a pickle
Young: What happened?
Scott: Greer was forced to fire his weapon and the ceiling collapsed trapping us in a tunnel
Young: Fire at what?
Scott: It was a duck
Young: A duck?
Scott: A two-headed dragon duck, sir

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Kermee
April 27th, 2010, 03:03 PM

Yup! The movie "The Mist" was the first thing I thought when I saw the spider. I'm not afraid of spiders, but my toads are! I can't get them to eat any. Here in California, we have black widows, and one of the most poisonous - The Umbrella Spider. It will jump and attack you!:eek:

FallenAngelII
April 27th, 2010, 09:02 PM
<Funny>
Now wouldn't that have been much better than what we got?

thekillman
April 27th, 2010, 11:41 PM
does anyone have a good screenshot of the spider? because i remember 10 eyes, a hellovalot more legs and very different jaws

pipi
April 28th, 2010, 03:51 AM
The spider was entirely CGI. Because it was CGI, they should've gone for something other than what looks exactly like a giant Earth spider. I mean, come on. Billions of light years away from Earth, they encounter a spider? Not a giant two-headed dragon-duck hybrid or something?

Based on those odds, I'm hopeful for a talking teddi bear. There's no written rule that says aliens can't be cute. :)

FallenAngelII
April 28th, 2010, 06:39 AM
Based on those odds, I'm hopeful for a talking teddi bear. There's no written rule that says aliens can't be cute. :)
The writers have already stated that we're likely to never get to see the Furlings.

Lord Hurin
April 28th, 2010, 04:09 PM
The writers have already stated that we're likely to never get to see the Furlings.

Which is fine by me. Keep 'em mysterious! Are they still around? Are they passively helping us in any way? Answers to questions like this would be nice, but we don't actually have to meet the race to get them. It leaves stuff open for fanfics and such.

FallenAngelII
April 28th, 2010, 04:53 PM
Which is fine by me. Keep 'em mysterious! Are they still around? Are they passively helping us in any way? Answers to questions like this would be nice, but we don't actually have to meet the race to get them. It leaves stuff open for fanfics and such.
I was kinda implying the Furlings are cute teddy bears.

Lord Hurin
April 29th, 2010, 06:47 AM
I was kinda implying the Furlings are cute teddy bears.

No, I understand that. SG-1's "200" did it too. I was merely stating that I don't particularly want them to go in-depth with "discovering" them like they did with the Ancients, etc. I found the Ancients much more intriguing during SG-1 when we knew next to nothing about them. Turns out, what we discovered is that they were pretty much all a bunch of arrogant fops. I felt a little let down, but loved Atlantis anyway.

The Swarm
April 30th, 2010, 12:26 AM
spiders were a bit lame. and people who are concerned about spoilers

*Mod Note : Spoiler for Lost under tag.

The dinosaur. that's life.

It has the boddy shape of a T-Wrecks, but i think it looks more like a frog with teeth on 2 legs.

garhkal
April 30th, 2010, 10:59 PM
It reminded me of a long armed rancor.