This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starcraft II Beta Discussion

So today I got my key for the Starcraft 2 beta! Does anyone else have an interest in SC1 or 2? Anyone else here in the beta? Just figured I'd ask around.
    Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
    Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

I didn't really like the first one (I still rage whenever I think "fire it up!").

But, it's FANTASTIC to see that Blizzard hasn't completely abandoned the single-player RTS genre. I still hope that one day Warcraft will return to it

On-topic: I don't care how big the campaigns are, I still think it's bs that they're charging full-game price for each race's campaign.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
      I didn't really like the first one (I still rage whenever I think "fire it up!").

But, it's FANTASTIC to see that Blizzard hasn't completely abandoned the single-player RTS genre. I still hope that one day Warcraft will return to it

On-topic: I don't care how big the campaigns are, I still think it's bs that they're charging full-game price for each race's campaign.
      The fact that I need workers makes me happy beyond belief

But have they confirmed that it's going to be full-price for the next two games? Or is it just speculation?
      Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
      Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

Nope, it's been confirmed.

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/10/10/st...-as-a-trilogy/
        "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

I played SC, but since those days I've moved away from the RTSs. I may get SC2 after awhile. It's nowhere near the top of my list though.
          "Goodbye Eli Wallace, you're a good man."
          - imlad, from http://www.readandfindout.com/

Comment

I, along with about 90% of gamers worldwide, am of the opinion that Starcraft was one of the greatest games ever made. I mean what game is still being played by so many 12 years after its release? I'm not even going to mention its status in countries like South Korea where its televised nationally each night.

So as you can tell I have big expectations for SC2. I haven't had a chance to play the beta but I'll pick up the game when it comes out. The only thing I'm not excited about is dishing out money for three separate discs. Then again, Blizzard has yet to make a bad game so somehow I have a feeling it will be worth it.
            sigpic

Comment

I have managed to play Starcraft and Starcraft 2. Great story Great game only thing that comes close often goes beyond it is Warcraft the fact that it is made by the same group is not lost on me. Good RTS is so hard to find these days and I've played a lot over the years C&C games.

The game has been split into three separate expansions so full is probably a certainty; but, you know SC2 may be one of the last remaining RTS to come out as everyone is moving to Online RPGs. So I think it is worth it.

My views on SC2 weapons units if you want to discover them for your own don't go further...

I do have some complaints about the beta though.
              Are these all the units in the final release cuz if it is the Protoss are the toughest race. They have the best ships and foot soldiers. SC shows carriers can wipe out almost anything but now they have one scary mothership with all those nasty abilities. An organize fleet can clear house even against the most well built terran bases. Their immortals are tougher than their colosus which I find strange. hint hardened shields big problem.

Zerg have no useful fleet to match the protoss. All they have for a fleet is the Mutalisk and Broodlord.

I like to use terrans in SC one because they have a versatile ships and the marines. While the Thor looks cool and can do damaged. Their fleet sucks! Sorry but I think the Banshees are a poor replacement for the Wraith. The cloak was the only Terran advantage in areal battles but the Banshees can't fire on airforce serious disadvantage.
              Stargate Revival Please!

Comment

Originally posted by YutheGreat View Post
                I have managed to play Starcraft and Starcraft 2. Great story Great game only thing that comes close often goes beyond it is Warcraft the fact that it is made by the same group is not lost on me. Good RTS is so hard to find these days and I've played a lot over the years C&C games.

The game has been split into three separate expansions so full is probably a certainty; but, you know SC2 may be one of the last remaining RTS to come out as everyone is moving to Online RPGs. So I think it is worth it.

My views on SC2 weapons units if you want to discover them for your own don't go further...

I do have some complaints about the beta though.
                Are these all the units in the final release cuz if it is the Protoss are the toughest race. They have the best ships and foot soldiers. SC shows carriers can wipe out almost anything but now they have one scary mothership with all those nasty abilities. An organize fleet can clear house even against the most well built terran bases. Their immortals are tougher than their colosus which I find strange. hint hardened shields big problem.

Zerg have no useful fleet to match the protoss. All they have for a fleet is the Mutalisk and Broodlord.

I like to use terrans in SC one because they have a versatile ships and the marines. While the Thor looks cool and can do damaged. Their fleet sucks! Sorry but I think the Banshees are a poor replacement for the Wraith. The cloak was the only Terran advantage in areal battles but the Banshees can't fire on airforce serious disadvantage.
                I disagree. IMO the Protoss are the weakest race in the beta right now, since the Zerg can spam Mutalisks and Protoss have no cost-effective counter to it. Likewise, Roaches right now are way too powerful for the short amount of time it takes to get them, and Stalkers just don't have the armor to take them on. Terrans are fairly balanced until Battlecruisers, but again, the Protoss just don't have any counter that's strong enough to take them out en masse.

All IMHO, of course.

Comment

Originally posted by s09119 View Post
                  I disagree. IMO the Protoss are the weakest race in the beta right now, since the Zerg can spam Mutalisks and Protoss have no cost-effective counter to it. Likewise, Roaches right now are way too powerful for the short amount of time it takes to get them, and Stalkers just don't have the armor to take them on. Terrans are fairly balanced until Battlecruisers, but again, the Protoss just don't have any counter that's strong enough to take them out en masse.

All IMHO, of course.
                  True if you are using air to land and land to air but if you try to match them ton to ton I mean air to air and land to land. Can Mutalisk take a protoss airship?

it would take dozens of zerling to take a single immortal...
                  Stargate Revival Please!

Comment

Originally posted by YutheGreat View Post
                    True if you are using air to land and land to air but if you try to match them ton to ton I mean air to air and land to land. Can Mutalisk take a protoss airship?

it would take dozens of zerling to take a single immortal...
                    Mutalisks can take down a Mothership with ease, Carriers aren't gonna last long unless there's a lot of them, and Void Rays are so fragile that they'd never have the time needed to get their maximum damage going. Phoenixes are the only air unit that could really take them on, but then the Zerg have the Brood Lords that are even more devastating and just as resistant to Protoss air attacks.

Comment

I've watched a few videos of pros playing on youtube, and so far Zerg is pretty dominant when it comes to land units. Haven't seen much of Protoss yet, so I'm not sure how they stack up as most of the videos were either ZvZ or ZvT.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                        When I read that some time back, I lost interest in the game. I'm probably gonna get it once it's 'bundled' all 3 campaigns (of course, if I fail my willpower save, then I'll probably get it on release date ).
                        sigpic

Comment

Fun side note: I finally lost a game where I massed Carriers... ran headlong into a battle between a Zerg who massed Hydralisks and Mutalisks and a Terran who massed Battlecruisers. They both decided to kill me before I could get to their bases and wipe them out xD

Comment

Working...
                          X