Sgt. Markham Appreciation Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sgt. Markham Appreciation Thread

This thread includes SPOILERS for "The Brotherhood." Since the entire content of this thread is likely to be a spoiler, it would be cumbersome to use spoiler tags.
    If it were not a spoiler, this thread would be titled more appropriately the "Sgt. Markham Mourning Thread." This thread is for discussion and appreciation of the now-deceased Sgt. Markham, may his sacrifice not be in vain...or forgotten.

If you wish to express your sadness in your signature or in a post, feel free to copy and paste a picture of Sgt. Markham that links to this thread. Here is the code...just remove the three (3) asterisks (*).

[*URL="*http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?p=261567"][*IMG]http://img24.exs.cx/img24/6020/deadmarkham5bd.gif[/IMG][/URL]

The end result will look like this:
    Last edited by Major Tyler; 25 January 2005, 09:06 PM.
    Secretary-General of GATO ¤ Defender of F.O.R.D.

I'm very sad about losing Sgt. Markham because he was one of the few supporting characters we were starting to see or hear about on a somewhat regular basis. He barely had anything to say, but he is/was still an integral part of the expedition. He piloted the injured Major Sheppard (for the most part ) safely back to Atlantis, he was able to save Sheppard and McKay from the Wraith "Greg" with a well-placed PJ shot, and, most recently, put himself in harm's way to defend his new home and his new friends.

I'd like to see more recurring characters (ie. Bates, Stackhouse, Grodin, etc.) instead of new faces every week, because it makes the show seem more personal and makes us care. Look at how we've fallen in love with Walter, Siler, Dr. Lee, etc. on SG-1.

Sgt. Markham will be sorely missed.

Comment

This is an afront to all recurring characters that no one else has posted to remember Markham. I had hoped he would have a bit more to do now that he was being mentioned regularly. Alas, TPTB had other ideas. It's nice to see all the familiar faces in the background (and foreground! Foreground is good too, but rare). It makes it so much more easy to get attached to the show when there is a whole bunch of people you've seen before. Like a family

Me and my best friend seem to have a habit of getting attached to doomed characters. Now that I 've said that, they had BETTER not kill Stackhouse too... My friend got terribly attached to Kawalsky in the SG-1 pilot and was gloomy for a week after she watched 'The Enemy Within'.

And on the subject of pilots, how many pilots with the gene have they got now? There were three puddlejumpers (now minus 1) so there is just whoever was flying the second jumper, the fighter pilot who was offworld and Sheppard. And Beckett if he really has to. Argh, I don't like their chances if the Wraith attack by air.
      Last edited by joanne1138; 06 January 2005, 08:14 AM. Reason: Apparantly I cannot spell the word 'of'.
      ~Percussive Maintenance - The fine art of repeatedly whacking an electronic device to get it to work again.~

Think before you hit 'Post': Friends may come and go but enemies accumulate. *sigh*

My LiveJournal: watch me babble about Stargate and life in general here.

Comment

I was so sad to see Markham die. Plus I didn't realise a pj was so easy to take down so it was quite surprising.
        But I'm relieved we still have Stackhouse, Bates, Grodin and Zelenka as regulars.

Comment

ACK! ACK!

SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(not really yelling, but.... see below).

I mean, yes, i did just see "The Brotherhood" and know that they just bump the poor guy off, but most US viewers have not seen it. Yeah, I'm just as unhappy as the rest, but I guess my consolation is that Stackhouse didn't get toasted too!

Anyway, if you sub and open this thread, you can easily find out Markham is dead and not read the first post...

Comment

Yeah, I'd change the thread title

@topic
            I kind of felt sorry that we lost him - we didn't know him that well yet but we were getting to know him better - but he probably had to die to show how serious the threat from the Wraith is.

Comment

Uh, how did Sgt. Markham die? Sorry, haven't seen the ep.
              ROFLMAO Check This Out!!!

Comment

How Markham died. In spoiler space just incase:

Spoiler:
                He was flying a puddlejumper after a Wraith scout dart ship like thing, and it got blown up when the Wraith ship shot him. Him and a random empty uniform called Smith died. Well, we're assuming he's dead, judging by the big bang in the sky... and the fact that everyone was saying he was dead.

Rest assured the Wraith ship got blown up too. But that is a different, a whole lot more spoilery story that I can't be bothered to tell. Especially as I don't want to spoil the ending of the episode for those reading just to find out how Markham died.
                ~Percussive Maintenance - The fine art of repeatedly whacking an electronic device to get it to work again.~

Think before you hit 'Post': Friends may come and go but enemies accumulate. *sigh*

My LiveJournal: watch me babble about Stargate and life in general here.

Comment

To Sgt. Markham, the first person to die in the show that I cared about. Now he can fly the big Puddle Jumper in the sky...

Comment

Originally posted by joanne1138
                    And on the subject of pilots, how many pilots with the gene have they got now? There were three puddlejumpers (now minus 1) so there is just whoever was flying the second jumper, the fighter pilot who was offworld and Sheppard. And Beckett if he really has to. Argh, I don't like their chances if the Wraith attack by air.
                    Sheppard was the fighter pilot who was offworld. apparantly, Stackhouse and Markham were the only other soldiers with the ATA gene. And Beckett must be the only civilian who's been trained to fly.

But after SG-1's 'It's Good to be King',
                    Spoiler:
                    the SGC knows that there's a need for ATA-gene carrying pilots. I wouldn't be shocked if a few skilled, gened pilots will be on their way to Atlantis eventually.

IIRC, there were six jumpers in the bay. So they're down to five now.

a time to mourn

Comment

Originally posted by prion
                      Anyway, if you sub and open this thread, you can easily find out Markham is dead and not read the first post...
                      What does "sub and open" mean?
                      Originally posted by elvital
                      Yeah, I'd change the thread title
                      There are a lot of other "Appreciation Threads" for characters that are still alive, so I don't think one for Markham gives away that he is dead.
                      Originally posted by elvital
                      He probably had to die to show how serious the threat from the Wraith is.
                      That's probably true, kind of like the shock of having Kawalsky die in the third episode. I still would rather have Markham back.

He didn't even get a first name.

Comment

Hm... Maybe Markham will come back like Kawalsky?

We can only hope!
                        sigpic
                        In the infinite expanse that we occupy, whose to say that something's impossible?

Comment

Here is a picture of the Puddlejumpers on that fateful day.

Here are some other just because they are pretty. They might make you feel better.

Liaison of F.O.R.D.
                          Click here to help Save Ford!

Comment

Heres some from my site (SourceGate.org) I got lots of screen caps from episode and i was devistated when the puddle jumper went boom.

And finally Sgt. Bates devestated as well

And heres the damn Wraith that did it!!!

But im sure we will loose many more in The Siege
                            Last edited by Tucker; 07 January 2005, 03:16 PM.
                            "Well its Official then...you dont get to Name anything... Ever!" - John Sheppard

Comment

Originally posted by Tucker
                              Heres some from my site (SourceGate.org) I got lots of screen caps from episode and i was devistated when the puddle jumper went boom. But im sure we will loose many more in The Siege
                              Not Stackhouse though... we can't lose Stackhouse either, can we?...

In Memorium of the Dearly Departed Markham

We only knew you for a while
                              But now you're gone and so's your smile
                              We would have seen more of you
                              But now you've taken your place in the great Big Blue

Your time in the sun was oh so brief
                              No words, no deeds could belie our grief
                              Of the thought that we no more will see
                              Sgt Markham of the military

Perhaps someday we'll meet again
                              Perhaps in some flashback or in some Ascendant plain
                              Perhaps when there's some way to travel time
                              We'll see once more the smile that shone and lit up mine.
                              sigpic
                              "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

Working...
                              X