PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else hoping we don't find out who was responsible?

wilhil
April 19th, 2010, 03:15 PM
I was watching the episode and I was thinking, as much as it would be cool to know who created it, what would we actually gain apart from knowing that there is "another race" out there - would it be better if we do not know who created the planet + star?

I think it is cool when shows have secrets that get revealed later... sometimes it is obvious, or possible to guess - others really do surprise you and make you think "why didn't I see that!"

However, does it really subtract from the story not to find out who created it?

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to see every episode In SGU to be left with possible outcomes, but leaving with the odd one here or there, I think is good!

To be honest, I am in mixed minds - The Obelisk looks cool, its job unknown - then again, I just think it will be good to have bits of technology that look so advanced with abilities unknown and out of reach!

What do you think?

Gollumpus
April 19th, 2010, 04:15 PM
I'd be okay with them never finding out who built or moved the system. I suspect that the topic will re-appear at some point in future episodes so I'm not holding my breath on this one.

regards,
G.

jelgate
April 19th, 2010, 05:05 PM
Yes. I like the mystery of not knowing who the aliens were and why they created said planet

Pharaoh Atem
April 19th, 2010, 05:27 PM
we know why god credited the planet and sun. to give the crew a fighting chance. that's all i need.

CCA
April 19th, 2010, 05:31 PM
What if this is the My Little Pony Planet!!!????? Will NEVER KNOW!! Actually in all honesty, I hope to find out. I am kind of curious who created it and why they left. I thought it was one of those storylines they were setting up for future eppies

Trinary
April 19th, 2010, 05:42 PM
The planet and obelisk just a copy of the LOST show. The Island with 4-toe statue on it. The episode title "Faith" also a copy theme from the LOST show with a "leap of faith".

It's too obvious didn't it?

jelgate
April 19th, 2010, 05:44 PM
And it was so original in LOST?:rolleyes:

aretood2
April 19th, 2010, 05:45 PM
The planet and obelisk just a copy of the LOST show. The Island with 4-toe statue on it. The episode title "Faith" also a copy theme from the LOST show with a "leap of faith".

What you talkin' about Phillis?

Trinary
April 19th, 2010, 06:05 PM
A redundancies at best...

aretood2
April 19th, 2010, 06:06 PM
A redundancies at best...

On a serious tone...could you rephrase that for me? I don't understand.

Trinary
April 19th, 2010, 06:08 PM
An era of ideas is like a dry well...

aretood2
April 19th, 2010, 06:09 PM
An era of ideas is like a dry well...
Ah...I see now....

Iffy
April 19th, 2010, 08:20 PM

Maybe if you watch Lost. There are obelisks in many works of fiction and non-fiction.

DigiFluid
April 19th, 2010, 08:30 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obelisk

JustAnotherVoice
April 19th, 2010, 08:48 PM
Maybe if you watch Lost. There are obelisks in many works of fiction and non-fiction.

The episode was definately influenced by the 2001 trilogy, down to the mysterious force that created the star and planet. An homage to 2010: Odyssey Two's questions on metaphysics. Even the timeline from Clarke's epilogue is a plausible fit for the creation of the planet :o

Gollumpus
April 19th, 2010, 09:01 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obelisk

Oh, and here I thought you meant this guy: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obelix

regards,
G.

ngewakl
April 19th, 2010, 11:47 PM
The planet commissioned by the mice.

EllieVee
April 19th, 2010, 11:55 PM
Ah...I see now....

Really?

hiro
April 20th, 2010, 12:54 AM

Of course ! It's not a 2001 A Space Odyssey simile ... it's originally from lost ... like everything in this life ... * irony mode off*

come on ! again ! not everything is lost related ! And not everything in lost is original , they "copy" too !

Tuvok
April 20th, 2010, 01:49 AM
I was watching the episode and I was thinking, as much as it would be cool to know who created it, what would we actually gain apart from knowing that there is "another race" out there - would it be better if we do not know who created the planet + star?

I think it is cool when shows have secrets that get revealed later... sometimes it is obvious, or possible to guess - others really do surprise you and make you think "why didn't I see that!"

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to see every episode In SGU to be left with possible outcomes, but leaving with the odd one here or there, I think is good!

To be honest, I am in mixed minds - The Obelisk looks cool, its job unknown - then again, I just think it will be good to have bits of technology that look so advanced with abilities unknown and out of reach!

What do you think?

I like we may never know.

This is not Voyager or your typical gate show where they show up and solve the great questions within an allotted time. They are on a time limit after all . The best they can do is get what they need, learn what they can. And move on. I like that, simple and honest.

Commander Zelix
April 20th, 2010, 02:42 AM
No I think it sucks that way and was completely pointless. There's always way to create new mysteries, new questions over partly resolved mystery. That's how you sustain mystery, suspense by providing plot development to it.

Lahela
April 20th, 2010, 02:55 AM
Ah...I see now....

Something about candlelight being fire and meals cooked long ago sprang to mind when I read it ;)

pipi
April 20th, 2010, 03:29 AM
Yaa, it allows for some future episodes to tie back to the obelisk if they feel like it.

UniverseSizePlotHole
April 20th, 2010, 04:30 AM
Neither Rush nor Eli hadn't had the opportunity to examine the Obelisk and Volker didn't seem successful during his time on the planet so there is still an opportunity for Rush to have some answers at a later date dure to the Kino footage etc

Maybe its a waypoint and something similar will cross Destiny's path. If we can gate to Destiny from Icarus surely the intellegence behind this itinerent solar system can catch up.

If it is not answered or incorporated in the future I don't think it will be on my "must know" by end of list. It was a freelance writer's script with Carl Binder taking it on.

So in response to the OP's question I don't mind either way - put it in wait and see but fun to think about til next week.

xxxevilgrinxxx
April 20th, 2010, 07:38 AM

What do you think?

I like not knowing, or at least not finding out everything right away. Make me work for it, as in, come back to watch and find out (as if I'd do anything else!) It would kind of suck if they go through all this and then stumble across some magical species that has all the answers and then magically sends them home.

Ser Scot A Ellison
April 20th, 2010, 09:42 AM
Commander Z,

All plot and no character makes for a dull show.

thekillman
April 20th, 2010, 09:47 AM
i'd like to see more works of the aliens but not the aliens themselves

Character
April 20th, 2010, 10:19 AM
Someone on another thread quoted one of the TPTB saying that elements of this story will be picked up latter, this season or the next isnt clear, but atleast its certainly not a one of like so many in SG1.

aretood2
April 20th, 2010, 11:11 AM
Really?
Not really...

Something about candlelight being fire and meals cooked long ago sprang to mind when I read it ;)
:lol: I was going to say that but I couldn't remember the exact quote :P

Commander Zelix
April 20th, 2010, 11:44 AM
Commander Z,

All plot and no character makes for a dull show.
What does it have to do with my post? Which was about how to maintain and develop a mystery btw. Strong characters are obviously central to the success any show or movie usually. SG1 and Atlantis, for example, had strong characters and great sci-fi plots.

ArchaeoNerd
April 20th, 2010, 11:56 AM
Because Destiny is moving through the universe, traveling at FTL speed from one area to another, it seems that we would leave a lot of mysteries behind, encounter aliens we may never see again, and experience a lot of "unfinished" stories. Not getting the answer right away is one of the things that keeps me watching!

Whereas other shows have "arcs" that might last several episodes or a season but will generally be resolved eventually, I think that SGU is in one way an "arcless" show in that each episode has a standalone story that may or may not be referred to again later - but in another way the entire timeline of the show is one giant arc, the "Destiny lost in space" arc. We can assume that they will not get back to Earth (if they ever do) until the very end of the series.

Anyway, I'm happy with the planet and star remaining a mystery, a nice bit of "Shore Leave" for those who came back to the Destiny.

ArchaeoNerd

J_schinderlin56
April 20th, 2010, 12:04 PM
We very well may find out who did it. With Stargate you never know. Seriously

If you imediately know that the candle light is fire, then the meal was cooked long ago.

MattSilver 3k
April 20th, 2010, 12:14 PM
It was Young. In the crew quarters back on Icarus. With a rod.

Oh! This is about what kind of aliens are responsible for the planet. Shame.

xxxevilgrinxxx
April 20th, 2010, 12:20 PM
it was young. In the crew quarters back on icarus. With a rod.

Oh! This is about what kind of aliens are responsible for the planet. Shame.
lol!

LadyHayley
April 20th, 2010, 02:27 PM
I wouldn't mind not finding out about this planet-creating race. It kind of takes us on the same journey as the characters, they'll never know whether they should have stayed there, and neither will we.
That being said, I wouldn't oppose them bringing it back later this season / next season either. Could be interesting as long as they don't just pull it out at a random point because they can't think of a story idea, like 'Hey! we never found out about that obelisk or weirdly aged planet, why don't we just lob that in there.' :)

Confessor Rahl
April 20th, 2010, 03:56 PM
we know why god credited the planet and sun. to give the crew a fighting chance. that's all i need.

I need more. Definitely, and i'd love to see the race that shares our fascination with phallic architecture.

pipi
April 20th, 2010, 06:47 PM
I need more. Definitely, and i'd love to see the race that shares our fascination with phallic architecture.

I'd love to see some erotic race of girls if that is what you're implying? Maybe some fanfic yumyum. :)

Confessor Rahl
April 20th, 2010, 06:58 PM
I'd love to see some erotic race of girls if that is what you're implying? Maybe some fanfic yumyum. :)

I wasn't implying that... but now that you mention it, it'd be interesting to see what the ships that land near or on the spire look like :)

Ser Scot A Ellison
April 21st, 2010, 04:57 AM
pipi,

That sounds more like Farscape to me.

:p

Valorin
April 21st, 2010, 05:26 AM
I wouldn't mind not finding out about this planet-creating race. It kind of takes us on the same journey as the characters, they'll never know whether they should have stayed there, and neither will we.

That is a good point :)

As much as I like to know all the answers, I think that sometimes trying to explain and answer everything can ruin the power of a mystery. I felt happy for the crew who were on the planet as they bonded and enjoyed the land - it looked amazing (I want to go see that waterfall that TJ found!) - they finally got a chance to relax and become friends again. So I am quite happy to believe that God put the planet there for them to find and mend some bridges, the timing was perfect after all.

But if they do answer it, I really hope the explanation does it justice.

xxxevilgrinxxx
April 21st, 2010, 06:45 AM

*grin*

Mr.Xcelent
April 23rd, 2010, 08:12 AM
The planet commissioned by the mice.

Brilliant! HHGTTG planet brokers was on vacation when Destiny visited. I bet they got an award for this one too.