Did Destiny just make a U-Turn?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did Destiny just make a U-Turn?

When they were showing the corrected course Destiny made because of the star, it looked to me that they just made a full U-turn.

Originally posted by zahg View Post
    When they were showing the corrected course Destiny made because of the star, it looked to me that they just made a full U-turn.
    your assuming destiny has travelled in a straight line and will continue to do so

Comment

if they made a u-turn would that mean they're heading back for earth?

Comment

Originally posted by Lt.Colonel John Sheppard View Post
        if they made a u-turn would that mean they're heading back for earth?
        That'd be hilarious. Because of this planet being made and the Destiny doing the U-Turn, the Destinites discover they're reversing course. Cue a speedier FTL, and BAM! Earth.

Meanwhile, back on the Faith planet: "Any minute now, we'll be saved..."
        ~ When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take back the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN! ~

~ Burning people! He says what we're all thinking! ~

Comment

Rush said at the end that Destiny had corrected its course, so no.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by zahg View Post
            No. Basically, it does a sideways "V-Turn" due to the star gravity.

Comment

Space is far too big for a "u-turn" to get them headed for home. Further, as others have pointed out, Destiny's course has never been in a straight line. During Darkness the areobreaking manuver was also a parabolic course correction.
              All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story...

"Scott isn't out. Actually, he'll probably soon get back in, then out, then in, then out, then in, with rhythm and stamina." reddevil 4/22/2010

Comment

Originally posted by MattSilver 3k View Post
                That'd be hilarious. Because of this planet being made and the Destiny doing the U-Turn, the Destinites discover they're reversing course. Cue a speedier FTL, and BAM! Earth.

Meanwhile, back on the Faith planet: "Any minute now, we'll be saved..."
                lol very good sir.

Comment

Pretty sure the autopilot in Destiny will correct itself. I actually thought Destiny was heading for the star for a refuel cause the Smurfs nearly depleated all of Destiny's power, but anyway pretty sure it'll correct itself.

Comment

Originally posted by pipi View Post
                    Pretty sure the autopilot in Destiny will correct itself. I actually thought Destiny was heading for the star for a refuel cause the Smurfs nearly depleated all of Destiny's power, but anyway pretty sure it'll correct itself.
                    That's what I was expecting as well. It looked lined up just right to graze the outer region of the star. I guess we'll see a refueling again soon, they used up quite a lot of power on weapons in Space and on the shield in Divided. They'll also need full batteries once they leave the galaxy to make the trip through the void.
                    Carter: "The singularity is about to explode!"

Comment

it's a parabolic turn. but yes, it's pretty much a U turn.

Comment

Yes they did technically do a u turn around the planet, but I think it was the course necessary to get back in the direction they were going. Depending on the effect of gravity wells on Destiny as it is traveling at FTL, it might be that the presence of the star's gravity was enough to seriously drag their course out of alignment, possibly straight at the star. The U turn may be the drastic course correction needed to undo what the star caused.

Comment

The Destiny did make a U-turn, but as Lahela said, after far enough from the star, the Destiny corrected its course.

If it hadn't been the case, it surely would've been mentioned. And we wouldn't be able to visit new planets in future episodes. At least for awhile.
                          sigpic

Comment

Only in a solar system. Once in FTL the ship would correct itself
                            Originally posted by aretood2
                            Jelgate is right

Comment

Are we even going to see any more star re-fueling? Are we expected to just assume that it's happening in the background?

Comment

Working...
                              X