PDA

View Full Version : Did Destiny just make a U-Turn?

zahg
April 18th, 2010, 11:55 PM
When they were showing the corrected course Destiny made because of the star, it looked to me that they just made a full U-turn.

escyos
April 19th, 2010, 01:22 AM
When they were showing the corrected course Destiny made because of the star, it looked to me that they just made a full U-turn.

your assuming destiny has travelled in a straight line and will continue to do so

Lt.Colonel John Sheppard
April 19th, 2010, 02:04 AM
if they made a u-turn would that mean they're heading back for earth?

MattSilver 3k
April 19th, 2010, 02:10 AM
if they made a u-turn would that mean they're heading back for earth?

That'd be hilarious. Because of this planet being made and the Destiny doing the U-Turn, the Destinites discover they're reversing course. Cue a speedier FTL, and BAM! Earth.

Meanwhile, back on the Faith planet: "Any minute now, we'll be saved..."

Lahela
April 19th, 2010, 02:51 AM
Rush said at the end that Destiny had corrected its course, so no.

Trinary
April 19th, 2010, 02:51 AM

No. Basically, it does a sideways "V-Turn" due to the star gravity.

Ser Scot A Ellison
April 19th, 2010, 03:03 AM
Space is far too big for a "u-turn" to get them headed for home. Further, as others have pointed out, Destiny's course has never been in a straight line. During Darkness the areobreaking manuver was also a parabolic course correction.

Sami_
April 19th, 2010, 03:15 AM
That'd be hilarious. Because of this planet being made and the Destiny doing the U-Turn, the Destinites discover they're reversing course. Cue a speedier FTL, and BAM! Earth.

Meanwhile, back on the Faith planet: "Any minute now, we'll be saved..."

lol very good sir.

pipi
April 19th, 2010, 04:05 AM
Pretty sure the autopilot in Destiny will correct itself. I actually thought Destiny was heading for the star for a refuel cause the Smurfs nearly depleated all of Destiny's power, but anyway pretty sure it'll correct itself.

Mike.
April 19th, 2010, 05:07 AM
Pretty sure the autopilot in Destiny will correct itself. I actually thought Destiny was heading for the star for a refuel cause the Smurfs nearly depleated all of Destiny's power, but anyway pretty sure it'll correct itself.

That's what I was expecting as well. It looked lined up just right to graze the outer region of the star. I guess we'll see a refueling again soon, they used up quite a lot of power on weapons in Space and on the shield in Divided. They'll also need full batteries once they leave the galaxy to make the trip through the void.

thekillman
April 19th, 2010, 06:02 AM
it's a parabolic turn. but yes, it's pretty much a U turn.

blackluster
April 19th, 2010, 06:08 AM
When they were showing the corrected course Destiny made because of the star, it looked to me that they just made a full U-turn. Yes they did technically do a u turn around the planet, but I think it was the course necessary to get back in the direction they were going. Depending on the effect of gravity wells on Destiny as it is traveling at FTL, it might be that the presence of the star's gravity was enough to seriously drag their course out of alignment, possibly straight at the star. The U turn may be the drastic course correction needed to undo what the star caused.

Egle01
April 19th, 2010, 07:31 AM
The Destiny did make a U-turn, but as Lahela said, after far enough from the star, the Destiny corrected its course.

If it hadn't been the case, it surely would've been mentioned. And we wouldn't be able to visit new planets in future episodes. At least for awhile.

jelgate
April 19th, 2010, 07:36 AM
Only in a solar system. Once in FTL the ship would correct itself

beafly
April 19th, 2010, 09:00 AM
Are we even going to see any more star re-fueling? Are we expected to just assume that it's happening in the background?

thekillman
April 19th, 2010, 09:03 AM
did we ever see a Deadalus-class refuel?

beafly
April 19th, 2010, 10:49 AM
did we ever see a Deadalus-class refuel?

No, I guess not. But the first time was pretty exciting, one of the best moments in the series thus far. Even if it was a little obvious.

DigiFluid
April 19th, 2010, 10:56 AM
No.

http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/9130/sgufaith.jpg (http://img28.imageshack.us/i/sgufaith.jpg/)
More or less.

Mike.
April 19th, 2010, 11:13 AM
No.

http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/9130/sgufaith.jpg
More or less.
http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd306/Mike_M404/plottedcourse.png

It does look like a U-turn. It probably made the course corrections later.

DigiFluid
April 19th, 2010, 11:15 AM
But that only shows their present position, not their course entering the system.

It could be a straight line in, parabolic path and then resuming the straight path. Or it could be straight in, parabolic turn, and then continue right from their initial path.

Ser Scot A Ellison
April 19th, 2010, 11:18 AM
It's also a two dimensional image not showing Destiny's course relative to the pitch of the ship. This is not enough information to presume a "U-turn". Additionally, even if it were a "U-turn" it would take several million years to get back to Earth.

DigiFluid
April 19th, 2010, 11:23 AM
It's also a two dimensional image not showing Destiny's course relative to the pitch of the ship. This is not enough information to presume a "U-turn". Additionally, even if it were a "U-turn" it would take several million years to get back to Earth.
:indeed:

Mike.
April 19th, 2010, 11:48 AM
But that only shows their present position, not their course entering the system.
This was right after Destiny exited FTL.

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd306/Mike_M404/view_from_the_shuttle.png

And this was a few min later:

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd306/Mike_M404/view_from_the_obs_deck.png

It also fits with the approach angle shown:

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd306/Mike_M404/young_and_the_display.png

Considering all three shots - the ship most certainly entered the system heading right towards the star.

Whether it was its actual course or was pulled in by gravity is unknown.

DigiFluid
April 19th, 2010, 11:50 AM
And we don't know how fast Destiny can turn left ;)

Mike.
April 19th, 2010, 11:58 AM
Nope. We do not. :P

hisg1fans
April 19th, 2010, 12:09 PM

That's what I thought too :)

Pharaoh Atem
April 19th, 2010, 01:44 PM
would have been a good time to refuel destiny

pipi
April 20th, 2010, 04:26 AM
Are we even going to see any more star re-fueling? Are we expected to just assume that it's happening in the background?

It would get old pretty fast if we had to see it so many times. But it is very pretty to watch.

beafly
April 20th, 2010, 07:29 AM
It would get old pretty fast if we had to see it so many times. But it is very pretty to watch.

Downtime to explore all the character stuff this show finds so important.

Ser Scot A Ellison
April 20th, 2010, 07:33 AM
Beafly,

Character development is bad?

beafly
April 20th, 2010, 09:11 AM
No. Not by itself. Just suggesting that flying through a star would be a very nice scenic backdrop for some of the ridiculous discussions we see Wray and Young having. It might be saving grace for those scenes to those of us who's hand are hovering over the fast forward button.

Topic for a different discussion I guess. I think the Stargate Grey's Anatomy topic has been addressed elsewhere.

DigiFluid
April 20th, 2010, 09:36 AM
No. Not by itself. Just suggesting that flying through a star would be a very nice scenic backdrop for some of the ridiculous discussions we see Wray and Young having. It might be saving grace for those scenes to those of us who's hand are hovering over the fast forward button.

Topic for a different discussion I guess. I think the Stargate Grey's Anatomy topic has been addressed elsewhere.
Maybe you should, I don't know, try watching a show you like.

beafly
April 20th, 2010, 10:48 AM
Don't lump me in with those idiots in the "Why I quit watching SGU" thread.

I like SGU as a whole. There are parts I find aggravating.

I like playing lacrosse too. That doesn't mean I enjoy running ladders.

MattSilver 3k
April 20th, 2010, 10:57 AM
Don't lump me in with those idiots in the "Why I quit watching SGU" thread.

I like SGU as a whole. There are parts I find aggravating.

I like playing lacrosse too. That doesn't mean I enjoy running ladders.

You're not one of those nuts that edited together episodes like Earth and Life to disinclude all stone-related scenes, are you? :P

beafly
April 20th, 2010, 11:00 AM
You're not one of those nuts that edited together episodes like Earth and Life to disinclude all stone-related scenes, are you? :P

Now that's funny!:lol: Some people have way to much time on their hands.

eliteaceman
April 20th, 2010, 01:50 PM
I don' think the destiny itself can turn left or right or up or down....

Every turn its made has been via slingshots.....

I mean you would think the Destiny would have just went straight...... and passed the planet rather then go allll the way around the sun.

Plus in FTL wouldn't they have just passed throught it? i remember something abou gravity problems or something but Destiny isn't a hand glider. lol

pipi
April 20th, 2010, 06:56 PM
Maybe the gravity of the sun is too great and disrupts Destiny's FTL drive. Did they mention something that the FTL was not quite the same as hyperdrive but still faster than light. There must be several different types of FTL, obviously.