PDA

View Full Version : Losing "Faith" in...

Tuvok
April 18th, 2010, 12:49 PM
Lt Scott .

I enjoyed "Faith" it was a good character piece and very human.

However I am really starting to wonder if Scott should be replaced as 2IC as of "Faith". He seemed too unsure, his '' we where meant to stay, it was our lifeline'' bit felt like he was whining. He has too many distractions Chloe, the whole baby daddy thing and looks like he wants to be everyones friend instead of a military commander making decisions.

I dunno, I kept thinking that Greer and James has more stones that this guy.

Of course we are limited on replacements.

Greer
Love Greer, have the feeling as of ''Justice'' ''Divided'' and ''Faith'' he earns more respect from the Military side then Scott does. He is willing to compromise but he does tend to have a very aggressive stance which kind of excludes him. Still, that's Ok he is cooler doing his own thing.

James
Hmmmmm... shes feisty , strong and assured. Mostly . But as of ' Space ' who knows how she really is. Probably does not have enough experience.

While ''Faith'' was a great showpiece for the characters, including Wray I just hope future showings explain why of all people Scott is 2IC. Being Reasonable is a good thing, a little more salt in his step wouldn't go awry either.

:cool:

Lord Hurin
April 18th, 2010, 05:57 PM
I believe Scott is the next ranking officer after Young, hence why he is 2iC.

I think Greer is probably more experienced in combat than either Scott or James though.

Major_Griff
April 18th, 2010, 06:08 PM
I believe Scott is the next ranking officer after Young, hence why he is 2iC.

I think Greer is probably more experienced in combat than either Scott or James though.

Right. Greer is a non com, but probably is more experienced than Scott.

I think the credits have established James as a Lt. Second Class.

TJ I would imagine since she was a medic at Icarus is kinda like Dr. Fraiser where even though for much of the show she was Carter's equal in rank, she was definitely subordinate to Carter in any non-medical situation.

I don't know if it's been explicitly stated, but I think it's safe to assume that Scott is a Lt. First Class.

Lord Hurin
April 18th, 2010, 06:17 PM
I don't know if it's been explicitly stated, but I think it's safe to assume that Scott is a Lt. First Class.

For sure he and TJ (then Tamara Jon) were billed as such in the casting call. Whether that info has made its way into dialogue yet, I don't remember.

Major_Griff
April 18th, 2010, 06:19 PM
For sure he and TJ (then Tamara Jon) were billed as such in the casting call. Whether that info has made its way into dialogue yet, I don't remember.

Okay so yeah then it makes perfect sense why Scott is 2IC of the military.

Starsaber
April 18th, 2010, 06:27 PM
Of course, the next highest ranking officer after Scott is TJ, so same problem there.

norph
April 18th, 2010, 06:51 PM
It was mention in the first episode that Icarus was Scott's first assignment, so he is relative new to this.

We don't know how long Greer had been involved in the stargate program, he could have been involved in it much longer and had more off-world experience.

s09119
April 18th, 2010, 06:58 PM
It was mention in the first episode that Icarus was Scott's first assignment, so he is relative new to this.

We don't know how long Greer had been involved in the stargate program, he could have been involved in it much longer and had more off-world experience.

Didn't he say that this was his first assignment out of the SGC? I think he's had a good bit of experience, but it was all on Earth with limited offworld action.

Stormtrooper
April 18th, 2010, 06:58 PM
These are the wrong people :D

If you ask me, TPTB should pull a Spartacus and "kill them all" in the season finale!

/joking

dacooker
April 18th, 2010, 07:33 PM
Only other officers on board are TJ and James, both lieutenants. Now that TJ is preggers and obviously emotional, I'd go with James.

Yes it was a mistake for him to decide to remain on the planet. He did it to take care of the people remaining, a respectable officer trait. However he lost sight of the people on Destiny, and that's where his failure was.

aretood2
April 18th, 2010, 08:05 PM
Only other officers on board are TJ and James, both lieutenants. Now that TJ is preggers and obviously emotional, I'd go with James.

Yes it was a mistake for him to decide to remain on the planet. He did it to take care of the people remaining, a respectable officer trait. However he lost sight of the people on Destiny, and that's where his failure was.

Going along with that, The thing is that he has little experience in leadership. This is a huge first for him, I think he is trying to find himself as much as Eli.

dacooker
April 18th, 2010, 08:56 PM
Going along with that, The thing is that he has little experience in leadership. This is a huge first for him, I think he is trying to find himself as much as Eli.

With that said, press rewind to Air. He got A bombed then with authority right from the start. He handled the situation pretty well, and gave him some experience. Come back to the present situation on Destiny, Scott's outlook has changed yes, everyone's has. They are now stuck on a ship on the other side of the galaxy, it's dark, the food sucks and their not going home. So decision making might appear inexperienced, however Scott isn't inexperienced. He like everyone else is just in a bad spot, in a bad way.

Col.Foley
April 18th, 2010, 09:59 PM
I think Scott will work out, he has loads of growing to do but his descision making process is basically right. He is trying to follow orders and mend some fences, thats all that he can do for the moment. While Greer has a way of going about it better. Very much of a Drill Sergent there.

aretood2
April 19th, 2010, 08:04 AM
With that said, press rewind to Air. He got A bombed then with authority right from the start. He handled the situation pretty well, and gave him some experience. Come back to the present situation on Destiny, Scott's outlook has changed yes, everyone's has. They are now stuck on a ship on the other side of the galaxy, it's dark, the food sucks and their not going home. So decision making might appear inexperienced, however Scott isn't inexperienced. He like everyone else is just in a bad spot, in a bad way.
I think that he cares too much, he's too attached to the situation. Not that that is a bad thing per say, but it can lead him to make judgement based only on emotion.

Tuvok
April 20th, 2010, 01:55 AM
I think that he cares too much, he's too attached to the situation. Not that that is a bad thing per say, but it can lead him to make judgement based only on emotion.

My problem is not that he is given authority. Like you said, he is trying to be the nice guy, to bond etc. Greer way is simple. Work together , not making it about being buds because I told you to. That being said that kind of approach will not work in the long run but it's more practical that Scott's. The writers did a disservice to the character by basically having him run away planet side to protect about seven civies while his main duty is on-board the ship. His justification that the planet was meant , and destined and they should have stayed did him no favors either.

:(

Taiko
April 20th, 2010, 10:27 AM
Right. Greer is a non com, but probably is more experienced than Scott.

I think the credits have established James as a Lt. Second Class.
Greer is a USMC Master Sergeant, one of the first things noticed was that Jamil Walker Smith was too young to play such a role. Most Marine NCOs never reach that rank and those who do are typically in their mid to late 30s. During his time as a lower rank Staff Sergeant and Gunnery Sergeant he would have shepherded many LT James's as they learned the task of commanding a platoon in the field and not a classroom from him.

Yes she is a Second Lieutenant, in real terms she has been commission for less then two years. Advancement to First Lieutenant is automatic, and it doesn't come early. Except if you volunteered for service as say a medical doctor.

TJ I would imagine since she was a medic at Icarus is kinda like Dr. Fraiser where even though for much of the show she was Carter's equal in rank, she was definitely subordinate to Carter in any non-medical situation.

TJ is a different case, besides being a "medic" which doesn't fit an officers billet we don't know what she really was, veterinarian, nurse, physicians assistant, some sort of public heath officer (US Army veterinarians fill that role along with the care of animals). Maybe a female pararescue jumper since we have a female USAF Special Forces Lieutenant in James, why not? I understand the USAF is taking in officer PJs now.

Scott is a First Lieutenant and a pilot. He likely spent all of his 2nd LT time and much of his 1st LT time learning how to fly whatever aircraft he flies for the USAF/Homeworld Command. If he is on a second assignment and not flying as his primary job he should be close to being selected for Captain.

aretood2
April 20th, 2010, 11:31 AM
My problem is not that he is given authority. Like you said, he is trying to be the nice guy, to bond etc. Greer way is simple. Work together , not making it about being buds because I told you to. That being said that kind of approach will not work in the long run but it's more practical that Scott's. The writers did a disservice to the character by basically having him run away planet side to protect about seven civies while his main duty is on-board the ship. His justification that the planet was meant , and destined and they should have stayed did him no favors either.

:(

This is true, But I think he see's a priority in protecting the defenseless Civies. That's how he comes of to me. Grant it, they could have written it a bit better or this is one of his major flaws he is supposed to grow out of in the future.

Tuvok
April 20th, 2010, 02:57 PM
This is true, But I think he see's a priority in protecting the defenseless Civies. That's how he comes of to me. Grant it, they could have written it a bit better or this is one of his major flaws he is supposed to grow out of in the future.

You know , I would have agreed with you. Except the writers had to have him basically complain to his Commander that they should have stayed, they were meant to stay etc . I mean it is also basic math...less then ten civies on the planet compared to the more numerous on the Ship.

Maybe it was a writing fumble , but to me it made Scott look irresponsible and wishy washy.

Gollumpus
April 20th, 2010, 03:12 PM

As has been noted by others, I believe Scott's motivation is more about his life back on Earth and not abandoning a mother and child (again).

Yes, he did not know about his fathering a child back on Earth, and while he's not the father of TJ's child, he could be transferring the feelings of guilt he has over his own situation to TJ's. Add to that there doesn't seem to be any connection between Scott and the mother of his child (forget her name), and that he has provided for them financially makes staying easier.

regards,
G.

Tuvok
April 20th, 2010, 03:17 PM
As has been noted by others, I believe Scott's motivation is more about his life back on Earth and not abandoning a mother and child (again).

Yes, he did not know about his fathering a child back on Earth, and while he's not the father of TJ's child, he could be transferring the feelings of guilt he has over his own situation to TJ's. Add to that there doesn't seem to be any connection between Scott and the mother of his child (forget her name), and that he has provided for them financially makes staying easier.

regards,
G.

Hmmmmm....interesting viewpoint. I was going to say that someone with less emotional neediness that Scott should be Youngs 2IC . But who knows, maybe he needs more time. As long as he stays focused, and maybe keeps Chloe out of his pants. And James out of his pants, and he better not be thinking of using TJ as a psychological substitute for his failed relationship with his girlfriend and son at home.

He should be fine.

Gollumpus
April 20th, 2010, 03:27 PM
Hmmmmm....interesting viewpoint. I was going to say that someone with less emotional neediness that Scott should be Youngs 2IC . But who knows, maybe he needs more time. As long as he stays focused, and maybe keeps Chloe out of his pants. And James out of his pants, and he better not be thinking of using TJ as a psychological substitute for his failed relationship with his girlfriend and son at home.

He should be fine.

I'm thinking the writers have him on solid friendship level with TJ. What happens with his relationship with Chloe or James remains to be seen. Who knows, maybe James will find true love Scott after Chloe becomes Rush's gf...

regards,
G.

Taiko
April 20th, 2010, 03:32 PM

He should be fine.
Only it is not Star Trek where the commander can name a cadet next in line for command jumping over the other officers. If Colonel Young were to play such games without a valid reason he would not have the unquestioned loyalty and support from Master Sergeant Greer and the other Airmen and Marines.

aretood2
April 20th, 2010, 04:49 PM

regards,
G.

That's actually a good point. It would explain his need to help her out, and his less than popular decision that he made. Maybe this is like a hint that he is still dealing with being a father, I mean that can't possibly disappear from his mind.

Tuvok
April 20th, 2010, 10:42 PM
Only it is not Star Trek where the commander can name a cadet next in line for command jumping over the other officers. If Colonel Young were to play such games without a valid reason he would not have the unquestioned loyalty and support from Master Sergeant Greer and the other Airmen and Marines.

Good Point.

Simply put while I am losing faith in his abilities . The fact remains that there is noone of equal rank or better capability to replace him. Greer is happy to do what he do and lets be honest he is the best man to keep the military in check.. as in Justice they seem to follow his lead more. As for James, well she has enough on her plate. And Spencer , while he is Volatile and currently dead.

Young can't pick another 2ic because Scott is the best that he's got.

I just wish the writers would write him that way . If Scott was not the 2IC then some of the stuffs he pulls could let slide. But he is, so he needs more salt in his shoes.:o

Wayston
April 21st, 2010, 02:12 AM
I didn't really realise he was second in command. Then all the missions where both him and Young went out of the destiny (eg the ice planet) carried a big risk of decapitating the leadership!

beafly
April 21st, 2010, 07:35 AM
TJ being a "medic" and an officer would be plausible if she were a physician's assistant. But if that were the case, she would be a far more capable medical practitioner than they make her out to be. Military PA school is VERY tough.