Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting:

a quote from Faith:

RUSH: Look, our orbit has been refined. It's gonna be four weeks, two days, seven hours before we jump back to F.T.L. I'm proposing we take advantage of the wait.
    4, 2, 7.

42: answer to the universe, life and everything.
    7: holy number of god. (among other numbers).

There are a total of 27 books in the New Testament.
    There are 42 principles of Ma'at, the Ancient Egyptian personification of physical and moral law, order, and truth. In the judgement scene described in the Egyptian and the Book of the Coming/Going Forth by Day (the Book of the Dead (which evolved from the Coffin Texts and the Pyramid Texts)), there are 42 gods and goddesses of Egypt, personifying the principles of Ma'at, who ask questions of the departed, while Thoth records the answers, and the deceased's heart is weighed against the feather of Truth (Ma'at). These 42 correspond to the 42 Nomes (Governmental Units) of Egypt. If the departed successfully answers all 42, s/he becomes an Osiris.
    42 is the number with which God creates the Universe in Kabalistic tradition. In Kabbalah, the most significant name is that of the En Sof (also known as "Ein Sof", "Infinite" or "Endless"), who is above the Sefirot (sometimes spelled "Sephirot").[7] The Forty-Two-Lettered Name contains four combined names which are spelled in Hebrew letters (spelled in letters = 42 letters), which is the name of Azilut (or "Atziluth" "Emanation"). While there are obvious links between the Forty-Two Lettered Name of the Babylonian Talmud (see further up this page) and the Kabbalah's Forty-Two Lettered Name, they are probably not identical because of the Kabbalah's emphasis on numbers. The Kabbalah also contains a Forty-Five Lettered Name and a Seventy-Two Lettered Name.
    The number 42 appears in various contexts in Christianity. There are 42 generations (names) in the Gospel of Matthew's version of the Genealogy of Jesus; it is prophesied that for 42 months the Beast will hold dominion over the Earth (Revelation 13:5); 42 men of Beth-azmaveth were counted in the census of men of Israel upon return from exile (Ezra 2:24); God sent bears to maul 42 of the youths who mocked Elisha for his baldness (2 Kings 2:23), etc.
    In Judaism, the number (in the Babylonian Talmud, compiled 375 AD to 499 AD) of the "Forty-Two Lettered Name" ascribed to God. Rab (or Rabhs), a 3rd century source in the Talmud stated "The Forty-Two Lettered Name is entrusted only to him who is pious, meek, middle-aged, free from bad temper, sober, and not insistent on his rights". [Source: Talmud Kidduschin 71a, Translated by Rabbi Dr. I. Epstein]. Maimonides felt that the original Talmudic Forty-Two Lettered Name was perhaps composed of several combined divine names [Maimonides "Moreh"]. The apparently unpronouncable Tetragrammaton provides the backdrop from the Twelve-Lettered Name and the Forty-Two Lettered Name of the Talmud.

7 is used as a holy number in many religions

2 has some religious aspects.

next issue: Kaine stays behind. Kane(named after the same man, different spelling) in C&C leads people to "ascension" via aliens, which happen to be really advanced as well.

so a coincidence or a nice nod?

nod. the writing for sgu is brilliant
    https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

I'm hoping for a nice nod.
      sigpic

Comment

yes the freelancer had a brilliant idea and it came together very nicely.

anyone else notice the Kiwi nod? (in SG1 there were red kiwi's, and in Wormhole Xtreme there was a "paint a kiwi red" joke, and this is an expansion of that)

Comment

I think its a concidence but a funny one none the less
          Originally posted by aretood2
          Jelgate is right

Comment

Definitely put in there on purpose

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
              I think its a concidence but a funny one none the less
              so the 42 & 7 just happen to make it into the script??

Comment

Originally posted by Pharaoh Atem View Post
                They had to pick some numbers
                Originally posted by aretood2
                Jelgate is right

Comment

Why not? ofcourse its possible they put this in as a minor nod, but i wouldnt count on it. Really, you can find meaning in any number you like, if you look hard enough, people "find" entire codes and patterns in the bible with less than that.

Covering up scandals and keeping secrets is almost a racial trait.

Isn't it funny how the word 'politics' is made up of the words 'poli' meaning 'many' in Latin, and 'tics' as in 'bloodsucking creatures’?

Comment

What about Caine being a reference to Cain and Abel?

But then, Cain was a murderer so...probably not.

Comment

agree!
                      Watching SGA and SGU

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
                        What about Caine being a reference to Cain and Abel?

But then, Cain was a murderer so...probably not.
                        Heh, we don't know what happened after everyone else left. I bet if Caine (Kaine?) did go berserk that at least Balding Asian Guy survived

Comment

Of course BAG survived. He would've destroyed Caine with his sheer note-taking abilities.

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
                            Of course BAG survived. He would've destroyed Caine with his sheer note-taking abilities.
                            I wonder what's contained in those vast notes? Because I hear BAG can fashion a ZPM out of a flashlight, some strawberries and a bottle of Axe Body Spray.
                            Sig by Pandora's Box
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Coronach View Post
                              I wonder what's contained in those vast notes? Because I hear BAG can fashion a ZPM out of a flashlight, some strawberries and a bottle of Axe Body Spray.
                              facepalm

Comment

Working...
                              X