Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A thought on how the navigation computer works.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A thought on how the navigation computer works.

Okay, so already we know that the seeder ships send star maps and data back to the Destiny. We can also assume that the seeder ships are quite along way ahead of Destiny. But I was wondering; would planetary drift and the natural orbit of galaxies around their center not affect the readings?
    Would Destiny not have to be capable of calculating the drift and movement of every single star and planet on charts for its maps to still be accurate? If this is the case, the ship must have insane amounts of processing power and memory, because that is one hell of alot of information, especially considering how many galaxies the ship must have already travelled through.
    And afterwards, would it continue to update charts for galaxies it had long passed through, as I'd imagine the Ancients would probably value as much accuracy as possible.
    Please, correct any mistakes I might have made. Also, criticisms or ideas would be great
    sigpic

Stargates need to keep track of every single atom in your body and do so without any problems. These are the Ancients after all. I doubt they have any issues with processing power considering all their other achievements. Even Destiny which is significantly older that most of their known tech still has great shields, decent weapons, innovative powersource and storage, all of which require very advanced technology.

Yeah, I imagine that its star charts are continuously updated, both by using live data from its sensors and from the seeder ships - and also by computing the new locations, compensating for all the little changes that occur over time.
    Carter: "The singularity is about to explode!"

Comment

Well the destiny may only be a year or two behind the seeder ships (Stellar drift would be near nominal in that short period of time), or the seeder ships may have the built in capacity to adjust for it or they send enough data to the destiny so that it can adjust for it.

These are the ancients... they can fly into a sun so their computers must have unreal processing power.. like they at the very least have the capacity to run windows 7 x64 without trouble
      I dunno what to put in here now..

Comment

Originally posted by Puddle-Jumper View Post
        Well the destiny may only be a year or two behind the seeder ships (Stellar drift would be near nominal in that short period of time), or the seeder ships may have the built in capacity to adjust for it or they send enough data to the destiny so that it can adjust for it.
        The first seems like the most probable explanation.

I mean, the Earth 'Gate went 5,000+ years without compensating for stellar drift, and it could still dial Abydos without much trouble.
        "From East Middle School. Suzumiya Haruhi. I have no interest in ordinary humans. If there are any aliens, time travelers, sliders, or espers here, come join me."
        - The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya; Best Character Introduction Ever.

"And can we lose the ten thousand year old dead plants?!"
        - Stargate: Atlantis (1x03) "Hide and Seek"

"Hammerheads do not load/unload units immediately – they must descend to ground level first. Initial experiments involving jump-jetting infantry into the Hammerhead’s cargo compartment met with unfortunate results."
        - Command&Conquer 3: Kane's Wrath Hammerhead Unit Spotlight

Comment

it's possible destiny also gets the data to calculate stellar drift

Comment

OR each gate is linked to 2-3 others within range and one of those is linked to 2-3 others and so on, so it would take a while but they can do correlative updates..

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
              OR each gate is linked to 2-3 others within range and one of those is linked to 2-3 others and so on, so it would take a while but they can do correlative updates..
              Actually we don't know that. The writers haven't told us if the SGU gate's limited range was because of the lack of this specific feature or some other reason (power requirements, something else).
              Carter: "The singularity is about to explode!"

Comment

im still wondering how you can find your position in space, sure you can locate stars but if you ended up on the other side of the galaxy, how could you fin those star patterns again?

Comment

Originally posted by Mike. View Post
                  Actually we don't know that. The writers haven't told us if the SGU gate's limited range was because of the lack of this specific feature or some other reason (power requirements, something else).
                  Actually they have, its about power requirements. Don't ask the exact place but i am completely sure Mallozzi said it on his blog.

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                  it's possible destiny also gets the data to calculate stellar drift
                  This would be the most logical and easy way to do it.
                  sigpic
                  - SteamID user since 2005 -- you can add me - visit steam translation server brazil @ Steelbox

Comment

Working...
                  X