PDA

View Full Version : Creating a solar system

jds1982
April 17th, 2010, 04:11 PM
While I believe that there's an easier explanation for the existence of the Faith solar system than planet building aliens (rogue star with a captured planet), I have to wonder, would building a star system and planet be that hard? Obviously for us it would, but for the uber tech aliens in Stargate I think it might be pretty easy. Given the availability of such technologies as wormholes, matter converters, teleporters, nanites and shields that can squeeze a planet into a black hole, I think it wholly possible that the Ancients, and maybe even the Asgard could have constructed a solar system if they felt like it. I really don't think they'd need to be the most uber aliens ever, they would just need a bunch of time on their hands.

Anyway, I figure you could fill an enormous shield with a bunch of hydrogen to create a star. The shield would just be to contain the hydrogen for the amount of time it took to fill up, eventually gravity should take over and fusion should begin. I'm sure it'd probably be more complicated than that, but I'm not an expert on stars. The planet should be almost as easy. Get a bunch of asteroids, and fuse them together somehow. You could bring them from any number of star systems by use of a supergate, or just hyperspace towing (if a Goa'uld cargo ship can move an asteroid into hyperspace, I'm sure it can be done by something bigger). After you've got enough matter for your planet, set some nanites loose on it, and program them to build the type of planet you want, complete with giant obelisk. Presto, one easy bake planet, terraform to your liking.

Lord Hurin
April 17th, 2010, 05:35 PM
I'm not sure whether the episode meant to infer that the star was "created" as well, or if it was just the planet. Volker said the star was something like 200 million years old, so depending on whether we actually get a solid timeline for Destiny's launch, the star could have developed after the gate-seeding ships but before the Destiny got there.

The planet, however, apparently can't have been formed to that level orbiting such a new star. I'd cast my vote to the "constructed the solar system by moving the planet from elsewhere" camp though.

Gollumpus
April 17th, 2010, 09:40 PM
I'd be in the move camp for both the star and the planet.

The star: Destiny dropped out of FTL due to the star's gravity well which was not in the navigational record. Any kind of "traditional" star birthing structures of which we know, would have left a gravitational record which destiny would have noted and factored in to its path. Therefore, iit seems a good likelihood the star birthing structure wasn't there either when the seeder ship went through those many millions of years ago. This being said, maybe the being(s) who created the star made it from the dark matter in the area, as well as any stray comets or asteroids, which would eliminate the need for any of these larger stellar nurseries. Maybe we'll find out some day.

The planet: too young and too developed for the age of the star it orbits, which speaks against the rogue planet. However, if we include nanites into the equation then all bets are off.

There just doesn't seem to be enough stuff out there to have created both the star and the planet, but then once you gather enough stuff to create a star getting enough stuff to make a planet should be easy. And if you have the ability to move a star then how difficult would it be to shift a planet?

regards,
G.

Morganrone93
April 18th, 2010, 02:14 AM
Oh the talk of the nanites ( not in the show ), the obelisk blue beam, strange radiation, HELLO ANYONE?

Radiation, voila, some kind of tiny tiny tiny tiny, oh wait, what if the aliens, are, organic nanite alike things, and now, some are in everyone who was on the planet.

Edit: And oh, what if the blue beam was sending DNA or whatever to call it, to create wilderness, or whatever, heck, it could be a dying race that was dying out, and created a new planet, then is going to seed the planet with their species, like the gadmeer, or even sakari.

pipi
April 18th, 2010, 03:02 AM
Definitely alien.

JustAnotherVoice
April 18th, 2010, 04:09 AM
While the process of making a star, is in its most basic form, getting enough hydrogen and helium, putting it under pressure until it autoignites; and the basics of getting a planet together is getting a dense enough core (for, you know, gravity) and padding for the crust, the problem is the sheer logistics of such an operation. Any race advanced enough would be able to work out the technical kinks, but do they have the manpower?

Even the most advanced aliens out there would struggle with the sheer amount of hydrogen needed, on top of the ferromagnetic material needed for a dense iron core (assuming they build a planet to Earth's blueprints, of course). Admittedly, finding the stuff would probably be easy, but then to shift it all would take more effort and time than to just use a gravity gun or something to steal someone else's star and habitable planet.

thekillman
April 18th, 2010, 06:32 AM
ehhm all it takes are two stargates. toss one into empty space, throw the other into a jupiter planet, with inertial dampeners attached. the gas flows to open space. you practically move an entire planet. of course eventually the planet is more or less empty, but then take the gate again and throw it into the next jupiter or brown dwarf. repeat untill the ball of gas naturally collapses and forms a star.

as to the planet: hyperspace asteroids close to eachother. they form a relatively cool planet, then you smash some comets on it and seed life.

tadaa!

jds1982
April 18th, 2010, 07:10 AM
Hmm I bet you could just move a star by constructing a massive hyperspace engine powered by the star itself. Extend the hyperspace field around the star and there you go. Of course without some pretty powerful engines it might be slow going, but then again you could probably magnetically direct the particles the star is throwing off into a great big fusion torch engine. The planet could have been a control base for the operation.

I just didn't like that they automatically assumed the planet and star were constructed, instead of moved into place, or an odd naturally occuring phenomenon.

thekillman
April 18th, 2010, 07:32 AM
I just didn't like that they automatically assumed the planet and star were constructed, instead of moved into place, or an odd naturally occuring phenomenon.

a star moving there would've been charted as being elsewhere and stellar drift calculations would've put it in place correctly.

in fact, Rush said "dropped out in the middle of nowhere" then the star appeared and then the planet.

so yes, constructed.

Hmm I bet you could just move a star by constructing a massive hyperspace engine powered by the star itself. Extend the hyperspace field around the star and there you go. Of course without some pretty powerful engines it might be slow going, but then again you could probably magnetically direct the particles the star is throwing off into a great big fusion torch engine. The planet could have been a control base for the operation.

too much of an effort. interesting thought: creating a hyperspace field around a large chunk of gas giant, and jumping that gas to an empty space, and repeating that a thousand times over

Character
April 18th, 2010, 07:55 AM
Aw, i find this whole "these guys cant be that advanced' sooo cute, lol. Personally i'm glad that guys more advanced than all the asgard, ori wraith and most importantly that the ancients arent the be all end all of the SG verse anymore.

While the basic principles of creating a planet or star are relatively simple (especially with some of the magic-tech in stargate), the sheer scale of the construction is far above anything previously seen in SG. Especially so, considering that the planet is made particularly for humans - destiniys crew, thus the whole thing was both constructed and terraformed to specs in less than a year. For the seeder ship to not know about the system, it would have to be no more than a few years to a few decades old anyway, even if the planet wasnt so obviously meant for humans.

beafly
April 18th, 2010, 08:11 AM
If we assume that the sun and planet were placed in Destiny's path to provide a refuge for the humans aboard, it seems far more plausible to me that the Sun and Planet were moved to that particular location vs. being constructed there.

With there being no other planetary bodies in the system, it might even be that the sun and planet were originally not partners at all, and plucked from different locations entirely.

Character
April 18th, 2010, 08:26 AM
Except the chances to find a planet being, to quote Rush, perfect for humans, are astronomical at best. The star may have been moved, but to be honest that doesnt sound any easier than making a new one. Theres also many possibilities on why the planet was made for humans, maybe an experiment (ie a zoo), maybe to lure them there or meybe they wanted a scan of destiny or whatever. I seriously doubt someone did all that out of the goodness of their heart though.

Andru10
April 18th, 2010, 09:51 AM
If the gate seeding ships are hundreds or thousands of years ahead of Destiny then it's plausible. As I said in another thread... a civilization with artificial gravity technology could place such a generator inside a nebula and wait until the gas density becomes so great for the nebula to collapse into a star. Also hyperspacing asteroids to build a planet and terraforming it with nanites seems plausible.
On second thought... hyperspace seems too primitive... if they're way more advanced than the Ancients they could create giant wormholes and bring the materials they need.
As to why ... I don't know... a monument? a preservation? an experiment? Who knows... maybe it's their way of saying "been there, done that"

thekillman
April 18th, 2010, 10:27 AM
While the basic principles of creating a planet or star are relatively simple (especially with some of the magic-tech in stargate), the sheer scale of the construction is far above anything previously seen in SG. Especially so, considering that the planet is made particularly for humans - destiniys crew, thus the whole thing was both constructed and terraformed to specs in less than a year. For the seeder ship to not know about the system, it would have to be no more than a few years to a few decades old anyway, even if the planet wasnt so obviously meant for humans.
i agree it's mainly logistics. though most races appear to have a massproduction capability of the antarctic. seriously, once you get to mass-produce hyperspace probes that gather asteroids to build a planet, and build a few supergates to get gas from brown dwarfs to make a star, making it is REALLY easy.

ziga1980
April 18th, 2010, 10:46 AM
While I believe that there's an easier explanation for the existence of the Faith solar system than planet building aliens (rogue star with a captured planet), I have to wonder, would building a star system and planet be that hard? Obviously for us it would, but for the uber tech aliens in Stargate I think it might be pretty easy. Given the availability of such technologies as wormholes, matter converters, teleporters, nanites and shields that can squeeze a planet into a black hole, I think it wholly possible that the Ancients, and maybe even the Asgard could have constructed a solar system if they felt like it. I really don't think they'd need to be the most uber aliens ever, they would just need a bunch of time on their hands.

Anyway, I figure you could fill an enormous shield with a bunch of hydrogen to create a star. The shield would just be to contain the hydrogen for the amount of time it took to fill up, eventually gravity should take over and fusion should begin. I'm sure it'd probably be more complicated than that, but I'm not an expert on stars. The planet should be almost as easy. Get a bunch of asteroids, and fuse them together somehow. You could bring them from any number of star systems by use of a supergate, or just hyperspace towing (if a Goa'uld cargo ship can move an asteroid into hyperspace, I'm sure it can be done by something bigger). After you've got enough matter for your planet, set some nanites loose on it, and program them to build the type of planet you want, complete with giant obelisk. Presto, one easy bake planet, terraform to your liking.

creating a star is probably easy. didn't the aschen in SG1 create a star or something. and the asgard "repaired" one. also if i remember correctly the Gaad'mer were "converting" a planet with their ship so it would be habitable for them. seeing that its probably safe to assume some civilization could build a solar system. the question is why? why build it and leave it untouched? why not seed life on it or inhabit it? thats the actually scary part if you ask me.

thekillman
April 18th, 2010, 10:50 AM
the aschen wanted to ignite Jupiter. which is the same as creating a star, aside from the fact that whoever made the Faith system had to bring the gas there in the first place!

and the asgard "repaired" one.

that one was unresolved! i HAVE to find S09!

also if i remember correctly the Gaad'mer were "converting" a planet with their ship so it would be habitable for them.
gadmeer.

also, the ancients already terraformed half the MW and PG galaxies. so no big deal.

seeing that its probably safe to assume some civilization could build a solar system

poor examples. i'm more thinking along the lines of hyperspacing a 100km asteroid through the earth.

the question is why? why build it and leave it untouched? why not seed life on it or inhabit it? thats the actually scary part if you ask me.

they ascended before they could...

wait, wrong race!

Dark Ghost
April 18th, 2010, 10:54 AM
How do we know that they are more advanced than the Ancients and the Asgard. I'm sure that both the Ancients and Asgard could make a sun and planet.

ziga1980
April 18th, 2010, 11:00 AM
the aschen wanted to ignite Jupiter. which is the same as creating a star, aside from the fact that whoever made the Faith system had to bring the gas there in the first place!

would it make a difference if they had to bring the gas there. producing or transporting that much gas is a ***** but who knows.

poor examples. i'm more thinking along the lines of hyperspacing a 100km asteroid through the earth.

i was just saying building a solar system wouldn't rank them so high. from what we've seen others have attempted similar things.

they ascended before they could...

wait, wrong race!

why would they ascend. if you're so advanced that you can ascend at will does it matter? the ancients were in such a hurry to ascend cuz they were being wiped out. if you're left alone i don't see a reason for not sticking around a bit longer.

Character
April 18th, 2010, 12:10 PM
i agree it's mainly logistics. though most races appear to have a massproduction capability of the antarctic. seriously, once you get to mass-produce hyperspace probes that gather asteroids to build a planet, and build a few supergates to get gas from brown dwarfs to make a star, making it is REALLY easy.

Very, VERY relatively easy, a star, even a dwarf has insane mass and you have to pump/transport it somehow too, a gate wont suck it for no reason, and even if it could, a supergate is tiny compared to even a moon, and a gas giant (if thats enough for a yellow dwarf) is hundreds of times bigger than earth.

i was just saying building a solar system wouldn't rank them so high. from what we've seen others have attempted similar things.

Who exactly attempted anything like that? the closest i can think of is the aschen igniting a star, but thats alot easier than actually constructing one, along with a perfect planet. Others events simply messed with a stars gravity to f*** it up, but destroying is always far easier than creating.

Xarn
April 18th, 2010, 12:29 PM
Actually it is quite easy technology wise.

Logistics of the matter are completely different matter.

So: This would make them the only aliens with what appears to be production levels apropriate for galaxy-wide rulers. (So the chances are that if we meet them, they all at once lose every single "factory" they ever had, or we dont meet them ever again)
But technologically speaking, they arent really at the top.

Character
April 18th, 2010, 12:53 PM
But technologically speaking, they arent really at the top.

That depends entirely on how long it took them to do it. All evidence point to very little time, so they still need atleast as good tech as the ancients/asgard. And then there's the quote from highly competent in-universe sources like Rush and Eli.

jds1982
April 18th, 2010, 01:59 PM
too much of an effort.
More of an effort than building a star?

Xarn
April 18th, 2010, 02:01 PM
That depends entirely on how long it took them to do it. All evidence point to very little time, so they still need atleast as good tech as the ancients/asgard. And then there's the quote from highly competent in-universe sources like Rush and Eli.

Who, unfortunately (for them), rely on the writers having any clue. While yes, the show should be ultimate canon, there are some problems. (Rush understating age of destiny again and again and again anyone?)

Also compare starting a sun and terraforming a planet (to do former, just apply pressure and mass, quite a lot of races have been shown capable of the latter) to stuff like:
Time dilatation (and time travel, making time go backwards)
Destruction of whole universe (unwanted side effect but still...)
Harnessing supernova (or two) levels of energy

Also we have already seen feats which were technologically close enough to what we have seen so that we can just say they ramped it up, instead of having to make some new tech up.
Igniting gas giant (aschen, who werent exactly ultra high tech)
Collapsing planetary bodies into black holes (Oris with planet, also Asgard with sun (maybe? the SG1 episode where replicators somehow overcame gravitation pull of BH with time dilatation device. Dont look at me, it doesnt make any sense to me either))
Taking huge chunk of rock through hyperspace (Goauld ships, repeatedly)

Character
April 18th, 2010, 03:33 PM
Also compare starting a sun and terraforming a planet (to do former, just apply pressure and mass, quite a lot of races have been shown capable of the latter) to stuff like:
Time dilatation (and time travel, making time go backwards)
Destruction of whole universe (unwanted side effect but still...)
Harnessing supernova (or two) levels of energy

For one, they didnt just ignite a gas giant and terraform a planet, they made new ones as evidence by there being nothing else in the system, no planets, no asteroids, no gas remnants, nothing. And they did all that very fast too.
Secondly, we dont really know how hard time dilation is, they only theorized that arcturus could destroy the universe, and harnessing supernova, when was that? If your talking about arcturus again, its power is mostly fannon, a supernova would have destroyed several systems, not parts of one.
In the end i guess impressiveness comes down to opinion, to me its more impressive to be able to construct something impressive, rather than make a big bomb.

Also we have already seen feats which were technologically close enough to what we have seen so that we can just say they ramped it up, instead of having to make some new tech up.
Igniting gas giant (aschen, who werent exactly ultra high tech)
Collapsing planetary bodies into black holes (Oris with planet, also Asgard with sun (maybe? the SG1 episode where replicators somehow overcame gravitation pull of BH with time dilatation device. Dont look at me, it doesnt make any sense to me either))
Taking huge chunk of rock through hyperspace (Goauld ships, repeatedly)

And heres the part where you dont comprehend the difference in scale and effort between all that and building a system.

Rise Of The Phoenix
April 18th, 2010, 05:05 PM
IMO all the tech needed to make the solar system in Faith has been shown to be possessed by races like the the Ancients, Asgard and Goauld, Aschen.

If you've got the means to transport the materials needed or make them in some manner than I don't see why you'd have to be more advanced than the Asgard or Ancients to make a solar system.

Yes it's an incredible feat, but I don't think it was beyond any of the super advanced races seen in previous episodes of the show, if the Ancients or Asgard had wanted to do it why wouldn't they have been able to do so?
What in all their technological arsenals wouldn't allow them the ability in a decent length of time to make a solar system with one star and one planet?

TBH who says just one race made the system alone?
Of course in the episode you have people assuming it was one race that did it, but it could easily have been a collaborative affair.
A science experiment or a bunch of advanced aliens who work together to help people for whatever reasons.

skarwolf
April 18th, 2010, 06:39 PM
You know when you're on a long drive and you see a sign that says "Last stop before ...."

Maybe this planet is one of those stops.

After this is probably won't be so nice :D

jds1982
April 18th, 2010, 07:00 PM
For one, they didnt just ignite a gas giant and terraform a planet, they made new ones

Or they transported pre-existing celestial bodies.

And they did all that very fast too.

Did they? I believe they stated the star while relatively young, was about 100 to 200 million years old. The only timescale we have is that the star system wasn't there when the seeder ship went past. I don't remember it being said how much further along the seeder ships are. Given the length of Ancient civilization, it could have been many thousands of years between the launch of the seeder ships and Destiny. I doubt that's the case, but even if it's not, there's nothing that says Destiny flew along the same flight path the seeder ship did. In fact aren't there supposed to be multiple seeder ships, so wouldn't Destiny be checking in on multiple flight paths?

Logan346
April 19th, 2010, 12:41 AM
I think where the confusion is coming from over the age of the system is that they were discussion how old it should be. It was stated that nothing about the system matched what the age should have been. Volker stated that the star should be 200 million years old, but then the planet should be just molton rock. Now given that the seeder ship passed by much more recebtly than 200 million years then some highly advanced race must have created it.

While other races in the Stargate franchise have shown the tech ability it doesn't chnage the fact that they all would have required large amounts of time to create a system like that. Now depending on how far out the seeder ships are could possibly negate that arguement.

Wayston
April 19th, 2010, 04:10 AM
well a powerful alien race might have ascendeds amongst its ranks that don't follow the strict non intervention code of our milky way ancients, so if they chip in it's probably not very hard to either move them or create them from scratch

pipi
April 19th, 2010, 04:45 AM
with time dilatation device.

Oh that's an interesting point that I missed. With time dialation they could just blow up a star and use time dialation to age the remnant gas back into a solar system with a click of a finger.

thekillman
April 19th, 2010, 06:08 AM
from the looks of it the solar system was some 200 million years old. more than enough time to use a stargate to transport all the gas there. besides, the no-sucking part is programming. surely you can make a supergate that sits at the core of a brown dwarf and just lets gravity do the work.

escyos
April 19th, 2010, 06:41 AM
Well Trelos Company is in the process of creating a planet , so far its just a huge clump of rocks crushed together, with a shield as atmostphere. They will create an atmosphere, deploy water particles to make it rain and allow the system to create a natural environment within a time dilation field.

Oh wait, thats from my sci-fi tv show.

so did no one think that time dialtion fields could have been used to quickly make the planet and thats wat the obelisk is, along with a computer and scanning equipment.

thekillman
April 19th, 2010, 08:08 AM
could be. but it's simply not necessary

Xarn
April 19th, 2010, 08:25 AM
Secondly, we dont really know how hard time dilation is, they only theorized that arcturus could destroy the universe, and harnessing supernova, when was that? If your talking about arcturus again, its power is mostly fannon, a supernova would have destroyed several systems, not parts of one.
Actually ZPMs are close enough to supernovas (that is, when they are required to by plot, jesus, cant TPTB just hire guy who would help them keep stuff in scale? so the visuals wouldnt keep going going from bottle with gasoline to omgwtf city leveling shots of friggin doom...)
As for the universe destroying, yeah, I was thinking about arcturus project, specifically using the interuniverse bridge. (Since attempts to destroy your own universe are kinda stupid)

thekillman
April 19th, 2010, 09:06 AM
actually a ZPM is between planet shattering and supernova.

pipi
April 20th, 2010, 04:37 AM
actually a ZPM is between planet shattering and supernova.

Well regardless of which is more powerful or if they are equal in power. A supernova explodes a gas of core elements for building stars and planets where as we don't know what atoms a ZPM will emit. I'd still go with forcing a star to go supernova to create a super huge blob of gas, then using time dialation to let gravity pull the elements together etc.. but you'd have little control over what is formed, so maybe the aliens need to pause the time dialation every so often to readjust the elements.

thekillman
April 20th, 2010, 06:59 AM
anything that makes a big boom in the order of 10^40 joules is a supernova IMO.

i'd go with transporting gas from a brown dwarf to empty space via some sort of stargate, containing that gas in a massive forcefield, then after there's enough gas, it self-ignites and we have a star.

then i'd either hyperspace asteroids into place to form a planet or just toss them through a supergate and then form the planet on the other side.

if a star goes supernova, you'll have gas all over the place, not neatly in a blob

Character
April 20th, 2010, 10:01 AM
from the looks of it the solar system was some 200 million years old.

That is quite impossible, it would mean that the gate seeding ship is 200 million years ahead of destiny to not have detected the system, and thats not possible since the ancients left heir own galaxy only 50m year ago. Most likely the star is just looks/acts exactly like one would expect a 200 million year old star to look/act.

Actually ZPMs are close enough to supernovas (that is, when they are required to by plot, jesus, cant TPTB just hire guy who would help them keep stuff in scale? so the visuals wouldnt keep going going from bottle with gasoline to omgwtf city leveling shots of friggin doom...)

You clearly dont know what your talking about. ZPMs, even with planet busting power (and even that was never demonstrated), would still be atleast a billion times weaker than a supernova.

thekillman
April 20th, 2010, 12:00 PM
That is quite impossible, it would mean that the gate seeding ship is 200 million years ahead of destiny to not have detected the system, and thats not possible since the ancients left heir own galaxy only 50m year ago. Most likely the star is just looks/acts exactly like one would expect a 200 million year old star to look/act.

yes it is. it's possibly the aliens were lazy and combined my idea with your TDF

You clearly dont know what your talking about. ZPMs, even with planet busting power (and even that was never demonstrated), would still be atleast a billion times weaker than a supernova.

never demonstrated. however Trinity calls for such high power ratings or it makes no sense. which is confirmed by Lee's "blow up the planet" and carters " more like half the solar system " comments.

Character
April 20th, 2010, 01:21 PM
yes it is. it's possibly the aliens were lazy and combined my idea with your TDF

Well, for one a time dialation field wasnt my idea, i was talking about real time, and secondly that would still mean that they have something like a giant stargate and a TDF easily as as big and with a significantly higher time acceleration ratio than anything previously seen, and all that in atleast two spots and one+ active wormholes (how would that even work?).

never demonstrated. however Trinity calls for such high power ratings or it makes no sense. which is confirmed by Lee's "blow up the planet" and carters " more like half the solar system " comments.

How does trinity call for such power rating? nobody made it work, neither the ancients, nor the bs "i can understand and fix anything" mckay, its likely he either didnt have a clue or was simply wrong (especially considering he contradicted himself) about what he was talking about in trinity. And despite all the comments, what we've seen about zpms is distinctly not planet destroying.
But this is a old topic and a dead horse not worth beating again, so i'll stop here.

AVFan
April 20th, 2010, 01:24 PM
I can't say I'm an expert in this field, but I think a supernova would destroy MUCH, much more than just a single solar system. IIRC, I've read things about supernovas in real life that say that if a supernova occurred in a system close to ours, our solar system would be wiped out as well (well, whenever the supernova reaches us hypothetically). So it's very possible for a ZPM to be of less effect than a supernova based on that anyway.

Or maybe I'm talking out of my butt.. :p

jds1982
April 21st, 2010, 06:29 AM
I can't say I'm an expert in this field, but I think a supernova would destroy MUCH, much more than just a single solar system. IIRC, I've read things about supernovas in real life that say that if a supernova occurred in a system close to ours, our solar system would be wiped out as well (well, whenever the supernova reaches us hypothetically). So it's very possible for a ZPM to be of less effect than a supernova based on that anyway.

Or maybe I'm talking out of my butt.. :p

Our solar system would probably be fine, we however, would die from massive amounts of radiation.

Thinking about this even more, I think it would be easier to move the mass necessary than I originally thought. A large ship equipped with something like a Wraith culling beam could move quite a bit of mass. Imagine how much something like a Hive ship could hold if the technology was scaled up. It could probably move several asteroids worth of material. Even that is harder than it would have to be. One could build a massive matter converter powered by the star, and using matter from the star to create the planet. The converter could be located near the star and beam the planetary material in place, or could actually be the planet which beamed material from the star.

thekillman
April 21st, 2010, 09:07 AM
Well, for one a time dialation field wasnt my idea, i was talking about real time, and secondly that would still mean that they have something like a giant stargate and a TDF easily as as big and with a significantly higher time acceleration ratio than anything previously seen, and all that in atleast two spots and one+ active wormholes (how would that even work?).

1: the asgard created a .14 lightyear radius TDF with time dialation factor of 10^4th. that's pretty big.
2: two supergates are enough. remember we have plenty of time. doesn't have to be done in a day.
3: the supergate is pretty much invulnerable when it's active. i bet that at closer distances, anyone with supergate technology could indefinitely sustain that connection. the liquid/gas stuff blasts through due to intense gravity and we transport an entire star (well more like a failed star).
4: the TDF factor was at a height in Unending with more than a trillion times speeded up time.

Lord Hurin
April 21st, 2010, 10:41 AM
a star moving there would've been charted as being elsewhere and stellar drift calculations would've put it in place correctly.

in fact, Rush said "dropped out in the middle of nowhere" then the star appeared and then the planet.

so yes, constructed.

You realize that Rush was looking at the instrument panels when he said there was nothing there, right? The Seeder Ships hadn't picked anything up there and that's the telemetry Rush was looking at. The planet and star didn't show up there seconds after Destiny arrived, they were the reason for the ship being pulled out of FTL.

Not saying they weren't constructed, just some local fans seem to think that the star and planet popped into existence once Destiny entered the system. Wanted to make sure no one here thinks the same. :)

jhkplaya888
April 26th, 2010, 02:18 AM
They didn't have to build the solar system they could of transported the sun and planet form another location.

kymeric
May 1st, 2010, 05:17 PM
We have already seen all of the technology required to make a star. The asgard gravity device that collapsed their homeworlds star, and the time dilation bubble. Fly into a nebula or some sort of hydrogen gas cloud and set off the gravity thingie, got out of the hot zone and turn on the time dilation field and turn it off when the stars the right age. Do the same thing with the protoplanetary disk and presto, instant planet. This would get a star and planet of different ages using technology earth currently has available.

kymeric
May 1st, 2010, 05:57 PM
well a powerful alien race might have ascendeds amongst its ranks that don't follow the strict non intervention code of our milky way ancients, so if they chip in it's probably not very hard to either move them or create them from scratch

Non interventionist aliens are sissies!

UniverseSizePlotHole
May 31st, 2010, 01:53 AM
Like Fermat's theorem, it is a puzzle we may never solve!

dextercath96
May 31st, 2010, 05:06 AM
Yes I would to build a solar (http://www.sunpowerport.com) system in our house. Thanks for giving me information.