The Obelisk: Discussion and speculation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Obelisk: Discussion and speculation

The people that stayed behind on the planet we're not to bright to be honest.

Reasons:
    1. It was a artifical planet so there is no way to tell if there wasn't anything dangerous there.
    2. They only inhabited a small camp-site. They couldn't have known if there was anyone hostile on the other side of the planet.
    3. Fresh water, food, plants with medicinal properties and a almost totally undistrubed planet could mean that it is a 'storage or farm' world that some higher power wouldn't like strangers messing around with it.
    4. The Obelisk sent out a huge signal beam that could probably be seen from orbit. Probably some kind of relay communicator embedded witihin the structure, signaling the creators that there were trespassers.

I would have high tailed it outta there!

EDIT: Also, what happened to Senator Armstrong's body when Park and Brody were repairing the damaged shuttle? Was it moved somewhere previous to the episode? Was it flushed out of an air lock?
    Teselecta: "Silence will fall when the question is asked."

Doctor: "And what is the question?"

Teselecta: "How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?"

Doctor: " *Brainfart* ".

All these are true but at the same time it's like they said, these aliens could be friendly and could be their best chance of getting home, they took a chance.

Comment

Originally posted by kirmit View Post
      All these are true but at the same time it's like they said, these aliens could be friendly and could be their best chance of getting home, they took a chance.
      Anyone with a logical mind would have gathered what evidence they could as to whether the aliens were friendly or not. There was no evidence of the kind on the planet.
      Teselecta: "Silence will fall when the question is asked."

Doctor: "And what is the question?"

Teselecta: "How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?"

Doctor: " *Brainfart* ".

Comment

I'm not saying they were stupid but their is another factor they seem to have overlooked. Storing up food for the coming winter. They have no idea when the winter would start or how long winters were on that planet. As such they don't know if it is possible to store enough food to survive the winter there. If the winter lasts eight terrestrial months that's going to require tremendous effort to store away enough food to survive. There do not appear to be any fauna to eat as such it would be purely plant's they'd be surviving on. Without animals to hunt what will they wear when it's cold outside? It's not as though they'd be able to stay inside during the cold month's either. I wonder how long the shuttles life support systems will last.

Now that I give it further consideration staying does seem like a very poor choice.
        All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story...

"Scott isn't out. Actually, he'll probably soon get back in, then out, then in, then out, then in, with rhythm and stamina." reddevil 4/22/2010

Comment

Originally posted by Billz View Post
          Anyone with a logical mind would have gathered what evidence they could as to whether the aliens were friendly or not. There was no evidence of the kind on the planet.
          I'm not saying it was the logical choice, I personally would've gone back to the destiny.

Comment

Reasons:
            1. It was a artifical planet so there is no way to tell if there wasn't anything dangerous there.
            2. They only inhabited a small camp-site. They couldn't have known if there was anyone hostile on the other side of the planet.
            3. Fresh water, food, plants with medicinal properties and a almost totally undistrubed planet could mean that it is a 'storage or farm' world that some higher power wouldn't like strangers messing around with it.
            4. The Obelisk sent out a huge signal beam that could probably be seen from orbit. Probably some kind of relay communicator embedded witihin the structure, signaling the creators that there were trespassers.

EDIT: Also, what happened to Senator Armstrong's body when Park and Brody were repairing the damaged shuttle? Was it moved somewhere previous to the episode? Was it flushed out of an air lock?
            The Obelisk was put there for a reason; the likely being as warning to visitors and to signal the builders. Anyone who went to the trouble to build a 2000 foot high monument probably values the planet quite a bit. I would be worried that the Obelisk was a warning to visitors and would want to decipher the likely writings on it before I left anyone there. For all they know it may say stay away or else.
            Last edited by Blackhole; 17 April 2010, 04:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ser Scot A Ellison View Post
              I'm not saying they were stupid but their is another factor they seem to have overlooked. Storing up food for the coming winter. They have no idea when the winter would start or how long winters were on that planet. As such they don't know if it is possible to store enough food to survive the winter there. If the winter lasts eight terrestrial months that's going to require tremendous effort to store away enough food to survive. There do not appear to be any fauna to eat as such it would be purely plant's they'd be surviving on. Without animals to hunt what will they wear when it's cold outside? It's not as though they'd be able to stay inside during the cold month's either. I wonder how long the shuttles life support systems will last.

Now that I give it further consideration staying does seem like a very poor choice.
              The length and severity of winter is a function of orbit, planet tilt and how hot the star is. With all their exploring Stargate should have likely developed programs that could predict how long and severe winters would be by inputting astronomical data from observations of the planet and star from orbit.

Comment

Originally posted by Ser Scot A Ellison View Post

I was wondering the same thing about the animals, and clothes situation. It never really occurred to me about storing food for the winter though. The life support would really have to be running all winter. Just the heater. Keep the door closed, use buckets for waste, open the door to dispose of waste at night, all is well.
                "Goodbye Eli Wallace, you're a good man."
                - imlad, from http://www.readandfindout.com/

Comment

Reasons:

Its a risk but staying on the Destiny is a risk too: Alien attack, lack of resources, no control over the Destiny path, etc.
                  Currently watching: Dark Matter, 12 Monkeys, Doctor Who, Under the Dome, The Mentalist, The Messengers, The Last Ship, Elementary, Dominion, The Whispers, Extant, Olympus, Da Vinci's Demons, Vikings

Comment

Creating a human friendly planet. What'd the ancients originally intend for the destiny ? To seed human habitable worlds with stargates. Perhaps they're still around and instead of finding new planets they're just making them....

Comment

The Ancients were advanced indeed, but not even they could have build a solar system...they could have reached that level of tech if they didnt ascend.
                      The Univeres is supposed to be realy big, we are bound to find more advanced races at some point.

Comment

well the episode is called faith not logic

Comment

Maybe the obelisk is some form of wormhole teleporter. It was already mention in the show that it's very difficult to create a planet so maybe some advance race drop an obelisk on a habitable planet and use the Obelisk to sort of teleport it to different solar systems (why they would do that would be a good question).

In SG1, during the times they met with Merlin, an obelisk was used to teleport people through an open stargates. Maybe this obelisk is a wormhole generator and a teleporter in one.

That would allow Destiny to maybe encounter the planet again in the future when it teleport ahead of them if they continue with the arc from faith.

Comment

I would have atacked the Obelisk with the weapon of the shuttle just to get them to show their faces!

Comment

Someone said before they go to the planet, the solar system still new and the earth-like planet should be in molten rock condition. So, the Obelisk should be a device that alter the planet condition temporarily and use the planet geothermal energy to maintain the habitable condition.

The way the obelisk sending out the light to the sky, is very similar to a communication device belong to a humanoid race that SG-1 saved from a dying volcanic planet. A communication device that call the Nox race for help.

Comment

Working...
                              X