PDA

View Full Version : Wray's behavior

Daro
April 16th, 2010, 10:55 PM
I'm puzzled and intruiged by Wray's behavior this episode. In the beginning, her asking TJ if she thinks that Rush can be trusted. Considering "Divided" and the fact that TJ has already made her opinion on Rush known, I can't imagine why Wray did this. I don't think she asked the question out of honest curiosity.

I also was intruiged by the seeming start of a friendship between Eli and Wray. I wouldn't have thought them a likely pair, but then, neither are Chloe and Rush. Does anyone else suspect that Wray is getting close to Eli because she learned last episode just how central he is to the entire situation aboard Destiny?

Is she scheming for her next power grab?

EllieVee
April 16th, 2010, 10:57 PM
What did TJ reply?

Daro
April 16th, 2010, 11:05 PM
TJ: *glare* You tell me.

EllieVee
April 16th, 2010, 11:09 PM
I'd say that Wray was probably pretty stumped to learn that Rush didn't really care that much about her revolt and was using it as a cover to prevent the aliens getting on board.

Daro
April 16th, 2010, 11:24 PM
Yes, I agree with that. It's just that she was asking TJ that makes me raise my eyebrows. She's putting it out there to the 'other side' that she herself doesn't trust Rush. She's distancing herself from him. I might too, in light of Rush's actions, but I have to wonder how many people she has said that to over the month of time that "Faith" covers.

EllieVee
April 16th, 2010, 11:33 PM
When during the month that Faith covers does she ask?

Gollumpus
April 16th, 2010, 11:44 PM
Could be a number of things going on. It could be:

1.) Wray is trying to mend fences and attempting to re-establish the rapport she had with various folks prior to the insurgence. Why? Merely because she is carrying along with the current party line of trying to find a way to live together. Small talk is one way to make a connection.

2.) Wray is trying to make new allies for use in future power plays. I don't believe there's a good likelihood she will try to move another insurgence forward but she could apply pressure on Young at some future point by having voices like Eli's on her side.

3.) Wray is a nice person and she wants to get to know the folks around her just because. Hey, it could happen!

regards,
G.

Daro
April 16th, 2010, 11:49 PM
When during the month that Faith covers does she ask?

THe day after "Divide."

EllieVee
April 16th, 2010, 11:53 PM
THe day after "Divide."

Yep, that tells me she's pissed at being used.

Vapor
April 17th, 2010, 12:17 AM
I honestly feel like Wray was genuinely a bit oblivious in that scene talking to TJ.

To me, she seemed to being asking honestly if they could trust Rush because she really wasn't sure, and for whatever reason, she didn't even realize that she was talking to someone that they were holding in a room during the mutiny. It's as if Wray forgot for a moment that there might still be tension between them.

I think Wray enjoys the idea of being in control, but she also fears the idea of having to make the big decisions when she finally is. I don't think she's quite as eager to seize command as some people make her out to be. She's still a person, confused and motivated in part by her fear of what may happen next.

Avenger
April 17th, 2010, 12:26 AM
She got her first dose of Rush using her for for his own means in Divided

Blackhole
April 17th, 2010, 04:28 AM
Could be a number of things going on. It could be:

1.) Wray is trying to mend fences and attempting to re-establish the rapport she had with various folks prior to the insurgence. Why? Merely because she is carrying along with the current party line of trying to find a way to live together. Small talk is one way to make a connection.

2.) Wray is trying to make new allies for use in future power plays. I don't believe there's a good likelihood she will try to move another insurgence forward but she could apply pressure on Young at some future point by having voices like Eli's on her side.

3.) Wray is a nice person and she wants to get to know the folks around her just because. Hey, it could happen!

regards,
G.

I agree with everything you have said and would add: The reason Rush initiated the coup when he did was because of the implant in his chest which he neglected to inform Wray about. Wray realized she was played and she is now much more aware through first hand experience that Rush always has his own agenda and is not to be trusted.

Blackhole
April 17th, 2010, 04:32 AM
I'm puzzled and intruiged by Wray's behavior this episode. In the beginning, her asking TJ if she thinks that Rush can be trusted. Considering "Divided" and the fact that TJ has already made her opinion on Rush known, I can't imagine why Wray did this. I don't think she asked the question out of honest curiosity.

I also was intruiged by the seeming start of a friendship between Eli and Wray. I wouldn't have thought them a likely pair, but then, neither are Chloe and Rush. Does anyone else suspect that Wray is getting close to Eli because she learned last episode just how central he is to the entire situation aboard Destiny?

I agree with everything you have said.

Wray realized she was played by Rush and she is now much more aware through first hand experience that Rush always has his own agenda and is not to be trusted.

Eli is a central character of the military contingent and as such is important to have a friendship with. He is also a nice guy and interesting to talk to.

I agree that Wray is probably scheming for power but I was impressed by her in the whole coup attempt. To protect Young and Scott’s lives she immediately ordered Rush to terminate the computer transfer. Even though it weakened her position considerably, she was willing to do what was right. I realize awareness of the political consequences was a partially motivating factor; still my estimation of her character and potential leadership ability has increased.

reddevil18
April 17th, 2010, 04:59 AM
Wray is self-serving. End of transmission.

Werewolfhero
April 17th, 2010, 07:18 AM
I think Wray probably woke up and figured out Rush has his own agenda and has been using them all from the start. Would've been better if she found the video of him framing Young, or if Eli would've mentioned it.

Nindif
April 17th, 2010, 08:20 AM
Vapor:
Re: Wray's behavior

I honestly feel like Wray was genuinely a bit oblivious in that scene talking to TJ.

To me, she seemed to being asking honestly if they could trust Rush because she really wasn't sure, and for whatever reason, she didn't even realize that she was talking to someone that they were holding in a room during the mutiny. It's as if Wray forgot for a moment that there might still be tension between them.

I think Wray enjoys the idea of being in control, but she also fears the idea of having to make the big decisions when she finally is. I don't think she's quite as eager to seize command as some people make her out to be. She's still a person, confused and motivated in part by her fear of what may happen next.

I agree with everything Vapor has said.
My interpretation of Wrays behavior over the course of the episode:

Wray has accepted she needs to work alongside Young to help command the ship. Therefore, her conversation with TJ was in earnest. Wray was used in Divided by Rush, so the conversation was interpreted as: 'hey, since we're working together now and we both know Rush is a schemer, what do you think about him?'. I think the conversation was really Wray trying to rebuild connections.

In divided, she identified Eli as the key to bringing Military and Civilians together, and since she is now working with Young instead of against him, the friendship between them is a logical way to build those relationships. If Eli, the most civilian of them all, has aligned himself more with the military, then obviously they're doing something right in his mind. Wray has identified this, and is now trying to share that understanding and perspective.

When Eli says he 'sneaked' the Kiwi fruit from the stores and offers to share it with Wray, it was evident it was not the Destiny-Wray we know, she gave in to her moral code and did something the old wray wouldn't have done: sneak behind everyone's backs for her own good. The old Wray would have responded with 'this is irresponsible and unacceptable and unfair, i'm going to report you Eli and return that to the stores'. But this one accepted the fact that its really not that bad.

When Young was able to go down to the planet and return with everyone by himself, Wray would have seen just how much influence Young actually has despite everything.

Best episode for teamwork so far imo. It was refreshing and most of all EXCITING to see Young Rush and Wray cooperating so well. It really enhanced the story.

The Shrike
April 17th, 2010, 09:04 AM
If Wray was as conniving as people thinks she is, she'd seduce Eli, and use that leverage to woo him over to her side. He would be easier to control than Rush, that's for sure.

Encoder
April 17th, 2010, 09:07 AM

I agree, she asked because she wanted to make it look like she was not associated with those decisions in TJ's eyes. Otherwise, there'd be no reason for her to be coy.

I believe this is EXACTLY what she is doing, getting in on Eli's good side because she now sees that this "boy" is a powerful pawn in her game to utilise.

:sheppard:

The Shrike
April 17th, 2010, 09:09 AM
TJ: *glare* You tell me.TJ is worried about her baby, so the on board politics must be annoying her considerably.

Kaiphantom
April 17th, 2010, 09:30 AM
I've read enough novels to know the type. I like Wray and how her character is being handled, but despite that, I know that a true schemer plays every side. "Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer." So she'd ask Rush about Young, and ask TJ about Rush, and ask someone else about someone else. Presenting a slightly different side to each, to get a proper handle on the situation, so you can best manipulate it to your advantage.

I don't think Wray goes too far, but she's trying to get a better handle on the situation. Information is power, so the more you can get, even from "enemies", the better off you are.

mere earthling
April 17th, 2010, 09:40 AM
I think maybe Wray finally realized that there will be no "supreme leader". When they showed her at the beginning playing with her mush, she seemed depressed. She's gotten played a few times now (by Young and Rush with their little escapades), and she's a bit lost as to what to do now. It isn't as cit and dried as she thought it might be.

She's still human and I think she needs and wants a friend now. She went to TJ first I think, she has some history with her, TJ kinda shut her down. Eli was a surprise for her, she didn't expect that and it was a nicely played scene.

Daro
April 17th, 2010, 11:29 AM
I agree that Wray feels used by Rush. But, as he pointed out, the whole thing was her idea. She sought him out (at least, that's how I interpreted it) at the end of "Space." She was the one proposing a 'next time' to someone who had just been nearly killed by Young. She used him, and his situation, to galvinize the citizens into action. Both used the other as a means to their seperate ends. They were allies of convenience. Proof in my mind that Wray is playing any side she can to achieve her goals, proof that Rush can and will do the very same thing. Wray may indeed have the best interests of the civilians at heart, but I'm not convinced of that yet. Rush has the Destiny's fate at heart, and in "Divided" he also had his own problem with the implant to resolve. It doesn't make either one of them evil for what they did, but it does clearly show that both are going to do whatever it takes to get what they want.

EllieVee
April 17th, 2010, 04:56 PM
TJ is worried about her baby, so the on board politics must be annoying her considerably.

And may explain somewhat her OTT reaction to Chloe in Divided.

Blackhole
April 18th, 2010, 03:37 AM
At the end of the episode when Young, Rush and Wray were discussing the development that many of the shuttle crew had elected to stay on the planet. Rush suggested a devious & violent response - have Scott return with all those who wanted to come back to Destiny and then return to the planet with only military and remove by force all those who wanted to stay. Wray was defending their right to chose and remain on the planet and Young was trying to balance their right to choose with the needs of Destiny. The only surprise at least in my mind was Wray's defense. Her response was the least self-serving of the three. I think her character is growing. Wray's order to Rush in Divided to save Young and Scott and her defense of the rights of those who elected to stay on the planet shows her moving away from her initial self-serving attitude. Destiny doesn't have a replaceable personnel base; anyone who leaves weakens Destiny's overall resources. Since Wray is still on the Destiny, supporting those who want to leave only weakens her position.

EllieVee
April 18th, 2010, 03:56 AM
At the end of the episode when Young, Rush and Wray were discussing the development that many of the shuttle crew had elected to stay on the planet. Rush suggested a devious & violent response - have Scott return with all those that wanted to return and then return with only military and remove those who stayed by force. Wray was defending the right to chose of those who stayed and Young was trying to balance their right to choose with the needs of Destiny. The only surprise at least in my mind was Wray's defense. Her response was the least self-serving of the three. I think her character is growing. Wray's order to Rush in Divided to save Young and Scott and her defense of the rights of those who elected to stay on the planet shows her moving away from her initial self-serving attitude. Destiny doesn't have a replaceable personnel base anyone who leaves weakens Destiny's overall resources. Since she still is on the Destiny supporting those who want to leave only weakens her position.

I'm shocked! shocked! that you, of all people, would suggest such a thing. :P

Ser Scot A Ellison
April 18th, 2010, 05:39 AM
Blackhole,

At the end of the episode when Young, Rush and Wray were discussing the development that many of the shuttle crew had elected to stay on the planet. Rush suggested a devious & violent response - have Scott return with all those who wanted to come back to Destiny and then return to the planet with only military and remove by force all those who wanted to stay. Wray was defending their right to chose and remain on the planet and Young was trying to balance their right to choose with the needs of Destiny. The only surprise at least in my mind was Wray's defense. Her response was the least self-serving of the three. I think her character is growing. Wray's order to Rush in Divided to save Young and Scott and her defense of the rights of those who elected to stay on the planet shows her moving away from her initial self-serving attitude. Destiny doesn't have a replaceable personnel base; anyone who leaves weakens Destiny's overall resources. Since Wray is still on the Destiny, supporting those who want to leave only weakens her position.

I think Rush is a pure pragmatist. I don't think he gets into a twist about ideology. I think he sees what needs to be done and wants it done the most efficient way possible. I do think he is fairly self-involved. Not to the exclusion of all else but he doesn't see peoples desire to stay on a habitable planet as outweighing his needs in keeping the mission on Destiny moving forward. Is it disrespectfully of other people's rights, yup. I think he would ask why such rights outweigh the mission. I don't think he's correct but I do see where he's coming from.

thekillman
April 18th, 2010, 06:29 AM
rush is someone who sees what needs to be done and wants it done. i think Rush is an incredible character, who actually suffers from his medical injuries instead of magically healing *looking at YOU, sheppard*.

Blackhole
April 18th, 2010, 09:41 AM
Blackhole,

I think Rush is a pure pragmatist. I don't think he gets into a twist about ideology. I think he sees what needs to be done and wants it done the most efficient way possible. I do think he is fairly self-involved. Not to the exclusion of all else but he doesn't see peoples desire to stay on a habitable planet as outweighing his needs in keeping the mission on Destiny moving forward. Is it disrespectfully of other people's rights, yup. I think he would ask why such rights outweigh the mission. I don't think he's correct but I do see where he's coming from.

I agree with your assessment.

Disrespectful of others' rights is a benign seemly harmless way of putting it. What you are really saying is Rush will do everything possible to insure everyone remains on the Destiny to help him (whether they want to or not) to carry out his idea of the mission. The problem is no one on board signed up for his mission. They are all on Destiny against their will due to his reckless unilateral and unauthorized dialing of the 9th Chevron address from Icarus Base. Most if not nearly all of Destiny’s crew wants to return home as soon as possible. Rush’s latest recommendation to Young is continued evidence to demonstrate he has no intention of furthering that goal anytime soon and will probably take covert steps to prevent it from ever happening.

Rush wasn’t trusted by Earth before his latest failed coup attempt now he is likely viewed as a direct threat. He knows that if a method of two way wormhole travel is ever found back to Earth that he will be forced to return and never allowed back on Destiny. With the vast technical expertise he possess there is no way he is ever going to permit the crew to develop and implement a method of safe return home.

I find it surprising how many people have demonized Young for his marooning of Rush on the desert planet. Young did react out of anger but this latest window to Rush’s true intent and character confirms even more concretely in my mind that he represents the biggest threat and stumbling block to their safe return to Earth. I think most would feel much differently about Young’s action if they were stuck on the Destiny in nearly constant peril, a universe away from their family and friends, instead of viewing the story unfold from the comfortably safety of their homes.

Trinary
April 18th, 2010, 09:44 AM
I'm quite understand Wray is examine her options in this episode. I'll take it if they develop into a romantic relationship just enough to distract me from science fiction and political chaos on the Destiny. Eli and Wray just seem fit together despite the age differences. Eli may need the love to make him mature and smarter and Wray may learn more about handling a stress from Eli.

Blackhole
April 18th, 2010, 09:50 AM
I'm quite understand Wray is examine her options in this episode. I'll take it if they develop into a romantic relationship just enough to distract me from science fiction and political chaos on the Destiny. Eli and Wray just seem fit together despite the age differences. Eli may need the love to make him mature and smarter and Wray may learn more about handling a stress from Eli.

It would certainly make for interesting drama but Wray is gay.

s09119
April 18th, 2010, 09:54 AM

That's how I took it. Also, I hate people insisting that she was "used" by Rush in the mutiny... after all, as Rush is quick to point out, the entire thing was her idea to begin with. Not to mention that Rush was doing it for more than just a desire to not die. He honestly believed in what he was doing like all the other civilians.

Trinary
April 18th, 2010, 10:07 AM
It would certainly make for interesting drama but Wray is gay.

Is that gay can't explore a romantic relationship in different way without sexuality restriction? Are gay people are zombie, only know a single way to have relationship?

How about with having a romantic relationship with Eli will introduce a personal conflict to reevaluate her gay perspective or her long distant relationship conflict into the show? SGU wanted go deep into human relationship than science fiction. I think this subject is just perfect for it.

Sp!der
April 18th, 2010, 10:24 AM
honestly, this was the first episode where i did not find her annoying. and wray and eli were cute together, in a friendship-kinda way.

Daro
April 18th, 2010, 10:45 AM
I appreciate and partially agree with the assessment of Rush's actions in this episode. However, this thread is for examining Wray's behavior. We can start a Rush thread, and duke it out there like we always do over his morals or lack there of.

Something about Wray rings false to me a lot of times. She was right to advocate for the rights of the people who wanted to stay, sacrificing people who would support her if and when she makes another power grab. I just don't trust her (anymore than I trust Young, or Rush in some ways.) It is mentioned in the extended version of Air, by Rush, that he thinks there was a mole back on Icarus base. I would not be surprised at all if Wray was working for the Lucian Alliance...whether or not she is still loyal to them in that case remains to be seen.

thekillman
April 18th, 2010, 11:01 AM
technically everyone is bisexual to some degree. mostly however you are largely on one "side". still, without some feelings of affection to "the other side" you'd be hating everyone. in fact, in Ancient Greece, gay relationship and pedophilic gay relationships were considered natural expansions of normal friendship.

Wray can feel affection *if that's the right word* to Eli. like a good friendship. mainly, because Wray knows Eli's civillian and goodhearted, while Eli knows Wray is only trying to do the right thing. they can trust eachother.

wray, young and rush have 3 different views.

Wray is the person of the people and wants stuff like democracy and civillian power etc. she's everybody for everybody.

Rush is a do-as-needed person. if that means sacrifice, he think's it's fine. what needs to be done, has to be done. purely calculative.

Young wants to keep everyone together and is a kind of balance between Wray and Rush.

i felt that Faith's command interactions between the three were INCREDIBLE.
of all people i'd trust my secrets to, it's probably going to be Wray

Blackhole
April 18th, 2010, 11:19 AM
Is that gay can't explore a romantic relationship in different way without sexuality restriction? Are gay people are zombie, only know a single way to have relationship?

How about with having a romantic relationship with Eli will introduce a personal conflict to reevaluate her gay perspective or her long distant relationship conflict into the show? SGU wanted go deep into human relationship than science fiction. I think this subject is just perfect for it.

Wray is the first openly gay character in the Stargate Franchise. A lesbian by definition isn’t going to want to involve themselves in a sexual relationship with a man. This doesn't mean they can't have a close friendship with a man. Why would SGU introduce an openly gay character just to have her want to question her sexual identify now that she is on Destiny. I know SGU is soapy but I doubt they are going to want to go there.

Blackhole
April 18th, 2010, 11:33 AM
I appreciate and partially agree with the assessment of Rush's actions in this episode. However, this thread is for examining Wray's behavior. We can start a Rush thread, and duke it out there like we always do over his morals or lack there of.

Something about Wray rings false to me a lot of times. She was right to advocate for the rights of the people who wanted to stay, sacrificing people who would support her if and when she makes another power grab. I just don't trust her (anymore than I trust Young, or Rush in some ways.) It is mentioned in the extended version of Air, by Rush, that he thinks there was a mole back on Icarus base. I would not be surprised at all if Wray was working for the Lucian Alliance...whether or not she is still loyal to them in that case remains to be seen.

I agree with your assessment of Wray. In my mind, her character is growing; she is moving away from the totally self-serving end of the spectrum towards the more altruistic end.

And she may indeed be a reformed member of the Lucian Alliance. That would make for a good plot twist.

Major_Griff
April 18th, 2010, 06:18 PM

I hadn't thought of that. I found them an unlikely pair as well. I suppose it's possible that's what she was doing, but it seemed more genuine to me.

the fifth man
April 18th, 2010, 08:00 PM

I really hope that isn't the case. I already don't like her character very much. Manipulating Eli like that would push my distaste into the realm of complete hate.

Ser Scot A Ellison
April 19th, 2010, 02:58 AM
Would we assume that because Wray develops a friendship with TJ that she was interested in her sexually? Likewise because she develops a friendship with Eli is there any reason to assume she's interested in him sexually? Eli and Wray have prominent positions in the power structure on Destiny. It's not suprising they would be thrown together and develop a friendship. I seriously doubt it will be sexual.

JustAnotherVoice
April 19th, 2010, 03:08 AM
Wray was defending their right to chose and remain on the planet and Young was trying to balance their right to choose with the needs of Destiny. The only surprise at least in my mind was Wray's defense. Her response was the least self-serving of the three. I think her character is growing. Wray's order to Rush in Divided to save Young and Scott and her defense of the rights of those who elected to stay on the planet shows her moving away from her initial self-serving attitude. Destiny doesn't have a replaceable personnel base; anyone who leaves weakens Destiny's overall resources. Since Wray is still on the Destiny, supporting those who want to leave only weakens her position.

I would counter this by saying that it isn't Wray's character expanding in Faith, but Wray's character expanding in Divided. From the get go, she has been the self proclaimed voice of the people, and I thought she used the "freedom to choose" line in Divided as a hook, but sincerely in Faith.

While that line of thought weakens her practically in the short term, it may be enough to win over a few political points when it comes time for her next coup attempt, if (when) word gets out about it.

Trinary
April 19th, 2010, 03:42 AM
In this episode, Wray didn't hide her fragile emotion to Eli. The only person who is actually an outsider from the Stargate Command link. Since Eli is a hopeless romantic, he didn't see it coming to take the advantage to initiate the connection (Like a broken modem which is cannot recognize the incoming signal). Wray character show a sign she need a partner on her emotion side. Not necessarily lead to a sexual relationship. Her move on TJ doesn't work. Eli is happened to be there in the right moment and place.

There are two possibilities from these scene. First, Wray is a mole. We already know she a mole for IOA. But it may be deeper than that. The guy she report to probably a mole inside IOA to Lucian Alliance. All information from her will be leaked to the enemy.

Second, Young assigned Eli to spy on Wray after examine the Kino footage of Wray's mutiny planning. Young can't get any closer to Wray like he does to Rush. Eli is the best pawn which is look harmless and innocent like a boy, Furthermore, Eli in an outsider of the SGC which is Wray didn't know much about him.

Lahela
April 19th, 2010, 03:49 AM
I think her friendliness towards TJ was just a question of politicking - fences need to be mended and she may need her support at a later date, so she chooses a topic that she hopes will win her points.

EllieVee
April 19th, 2010, 04:11 AM
I think her friendliness towards TJ was just a question of politicking - fences need to be mended and she may need her support at a later date, so she chooses a topic that she hopes will win her points.

And did it? Hmmm, that would be no.

Lahela
April 19th, 2010, 04:33 AM
And did it? Hmmm, that would be no.

No, but TJ was behaving like a snotty brat so I doubt anything would have worked.

EllieVee
April 19th, 2010, 04:47 AM
No, but TJ was behaving like a snotty brat so I doubt anything would have worked.

Yeah, true, though I didn't want to smack her down until later in the episode.

carmencatalina
April 19th, 2010, 02:49 PM
Yeah, true, though I didn't want to smack her down until later in the episode.

Give the girl a break, she was probably feeling like crap. And, apparently, she let Young knock her up. Ugh. Seriously, you are a medic, contraceptives are your friends! (I know, she could have had a contraceptive failure, it happens.) But married dude with anger issues who is your superior officer? Not the person you want fathering your kid.

EllieVee
April 19th, 2010, 04:19 PM
Give the girl a break, she was probably feeling like crap. And, apparently, she let Young knock her up. Ugh. Seriously, you are a medic, contraceptives are your friends! (I know, she could have had a contraceptive failure, it happens.) But married dude with anger issues who is your superior officer? Not the person you want fathering your kid.

And note his reaction when she wanted to stay.

Anyway, this is about Wray not TJ. I'm surprised that Wray was all upset about the planet given she wants to go home to Sharon.

Gollumpus
April 19th, 2010, 04:31 PM
I'm surprised that Wray was all upset about the planet given she wants to go home to Sharon.

Perhaps it was just a moment of weakness, or perhaps it's a creeping realization that they may indeed never get back to Earth. And if she is starting to think "I'm never gettiing home" maybe this is impacting on her power politics on board Destiny...

regards,
G.