PDA

View Full Version : Speculation about the planet. Who made it, will they return.

rvi9981
April 16th, 2010, 10:03 PM
Furlings what do you think.

Shpinxinator
April 16th, 2010, 10:13 PM
The Magratheans...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/cult/hitchhikers/gallery/images/340/magrathea.jpg
...duh

Pharaoh Atem
April 16th, 2010, 10:13 PM
god did it

Gollumpus
April 16th, 2010, 10:19 PM
Pierson's Puppeteers.

regards,
G.

Loheat
April 16th, 2010, 10:19 PM
Actually it was the Globetrotters with their Badass Gravity Pump (http://new.theinfosphere.org/Bad-Ass_Gravity_Pump)

DigiFluid
April 16th, 2010, 10:21 PM
You know how? Oh, do tell. You could advance science by millions of years!

:p

Shpinxinator
April 16th, 2010, 10:23 PM
....you call yourselves nerds? Really? a mention of planet building and the forum isn't awash with Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy references? i'm offended

DigiFluid
April 16th, 2010, 10:24 PM
You got BSG, Ringworld and Futurama. That's pretty solid nerdage :p

Pharaoh Atem
April 16th, 2010, 10:24 PM
....you call yourselves nerds? Really? a mention of planet building and the forum isn't awash with Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy references? i'm offended

can't bring up what i've never read.

DigiFluid
April 16th, 2010, 10:25 PM
Oh for shame PA! Get on it, this instant!

Shpinxinator
April 16th, 2010, 10:26 PM

no more stargate for you until you've read at least 5 books of the trilogy

Pharaoh Atem
April 16th, 2010, 10:27 PM
Oh for shame PA! Get on it, this instant!

no! m:P i have a 878 health book to read first (no lie)

Pharaoh Atem
April 16th, 2010, 10:27 PM
no more stargate for you until you've read at least 5 books of the trilogy

no one forces james t pa to read ;P

Shpinxinator
April 16th, 2010, 10:28 PM
no one forces james t pa to read ;P

At least watch the movie....geez

Pharaoh Atem
April 16th, 2010, 10:29 PM
At least watch the movie....geez

there's a movie version of hitchhiker??

Shpinxinator
April 16th, 2010, 10:30 PM
there's a movie version of hitchhiker??

a recent major motion picture and a BBC mini series

Gollumpus
April 16th, 2010, 10:30 PM

Superman used to leap over the Daily Planet building....

regards,
G.

Shpinxinator
April 16th, 2010, 10:31 PM
Superman used to leap over the Daily Planet building....

regards,
G.

Um...yes? I uh...ok

Gollumpus
April 16th, 2010, 10:34 PM
Um...yes? I uh...ok

Well, it's got "planet building" in it. What more do you want? :P

regards,
G.

Shpinxinator
April 16th, 2010, 10:35 PM
Well, it's got "planet building" in it. What more do you want? :P

regards,
G.

Ok...i used to work on the jungle cruise and even I didn't tell jokes that bad...well done

The Shrike
April 16th, 2010, 10:37 PM
...Pierson's Puppeteers...Keep quiet about this, but Chloe has the Teela Gene .

Gollumpus
April 16th, 2010, 10:37 PM
Ok...i used to work on the jungle cruise and even I didn't tell jokes that bad...well done

/bow

regards,
G.

Gollumpus
April 16th, 2010, 10:43 PM
Keep quiet about this, but Chloe has the Teela Gene .

Oh what bad luck!

regards,
G.

Daro
April 16th, 2010, 11:47 PM
You know who built the planet?

No one. It was the Titan. Ya know, from Titan A.E. There, I've just out-geeked everyone.

Gollumpus
April 16th, 2010, 11:50 PM
That's no moon...

regards,
G.

amz_123
April 16th, 2010, 11:58 PM

No one. It was the Titan. Ya know, from Titan A.E. There, I've just out-geeked everyone.

LOL it's planet Bob

The Swarm
April 17th, 2010, 01:11 AM
Wrong, it was the Shelby's...

But seriously now: Furlings are native to the Milky Way, there is no way they could have reached that galaxy and still live throught the million year trip.

wingsabre
April 17th, 2010, 01:37 AM
Are we sure they're native to the Milky Way? The Asguards weren't yet they were part of the Four Races. For all we know, the Furlings could have been travelers who established a colony near the Milky Way.

The Swarm
April 17th, 2010, 02:27 AM
Neither the Asgards nor the Furlings could have gone that far into the universe and on that specific path that the Destiny is currently following.

It God who made that planet for them, or thats what the producers want us to imagine.

Soooo God is an alien now....

Targat
April 17th, 2010, 03:06 AM
Furlings is a good shout, i hadn't thought of that.

I hoping for a brand new race, hopefully that arent struggling with acension because ive had enough of that.

Demoniser
April 17th, 2010, 03:07 AM
Neither the Asgards nor the Furlings could have gone that far into the universe and on that specific path that the Destiny is currently following.

It God who made that planet for them, or thats what the producers want us to imagine.

It's impossible to know where those two races have travelled and indeed if there are other groups out there although its incredibly unlikely due to the size of the universe. Remember these guys were in an alliance, maybe the ancients shared the information about the Destiny with the others in their Alliance.

As for 'god creating the planet

Thats not specifically the case its more a matter of faith in a higher intelligence/race, do the crew have faifth that the race that constructed the planet would help them or do they trust that the ship will actually get us home and leave this perfect/wasted opportunity behind?

In all likelyhood that artificial solar system was just an anomaly that was constructed sometime after the seeder ships had passed through as Rush said.

droid327
April 17th, 2010, 03:26 AM
Pssh, building a planet, thats kids stuff. Fly a gravity-well generator through a supernova remnant nebula and then pull a few comets into it, wait a couple million years, voila.

When Destiny gets pulled out of FTL by a Dyson sphere, then come find me.

kirmit
April 17th, 2010, 03:34 AM
I'm really interested to find out more about this race, the way they were talking about them they could be the most advanced race we've seen in stargate, moreso than the ancients. One thing that struck me, and it is just a wild theory, remember in 'Space' the aliens just left for no obvious reason, it could be they detected this race was about and know how advanced they are, so were scared off.

Sami_
April 17th, 2010, 03:40 AM

The Asgard could go from Ida to the Milky Way in a matter of hours, we really have no reason to believe that Destiny is further than that.

If its in the local group then its likely the Asgard can get to it within the month comfortably.

kirmit
April 17th, 2010, 03:45 AM
The Asgard could go from Ida to the Milky Way in a matter of hours, we really have no reason to believe that Destiny is further than that.

If its in the local group then its likely the Asgard can get to it within the month comfortably.

Actually they've said the destiny is billlions of lightyears away from earth, that is much much further than Ida and about them travelling between galaxies in mere hours, I think TPTB have tried to retcon that in recent years.

Sami_
April 17th, 2010, 04:11 AM
Actually they've said the destiny is billlions of lightyears away from earth, that is much much further than Ida and about them travelling between galaxies in mere hours, I think TPTB have tried to retcon that in recent years.

True, I forgot the part about billions of light years away.

Billz
April 17th, 2010, 04:15 AM
True, I forgot the part about billions of light years away.

It has even been shown on the screen by the control terminal that Destiny has passed through several galaxies, including Pegasus, which is further away then Ida.

It would be great to see actual Furlings but we should all face the fact that it most likely won't ever happen.

reddevil18
April 17th, 2010, 04:33 AM
Whenever someone mentions the furlings, a puppy dies and a child loses a limb. Also, I want to cause bodily harm to that person.

kirmit
April 17th, 2010, 04:46 AM
It has even been shown on the screen by the control terminal that Destiny has passed through several galaxies, including Pegasus, which is further away then Ida.

Yep and Pegasus was shown to be at the very start of destinys journey.

Albeno
April 17th, 2010, 04:56 AM
IMO the introduction of this Alien race reminds me of SG1. When SG1 began, the team often came across evidence of the Asgard's existence in the form of:

1) Technology, e.g. Thor's Hammer
2) Rumour, e.g. OMFG ASGARD RAAAPE GOA'ULD, THEY PROTECT US FROM THE EVIL ONES

Then eventually, we meet the Asgard..........

So I figure these guys are gonna play the part of the mysterious, benevolent alien race that helps destiny and its crew throughout the series and then eventually we'll come into contact with them.

MattSilver 3k
April 17th, 2010, 05:06 AM
Furlings what do you think.

No.

No.

No. No no no no no no no no no no no-

Is the message getting through?

reddevil18
April 17th, 2010, 05:08 AM
Is the message getting through?No.

Andru10
April 17th, 2010, 05:09 AM
IMO the introduction of this Alien race reminds me of SG1. When SG1 began, the team often came across evidence of the Asgard's existence in the form of:

1) Technology, e.g. Thor's Hammer
2) Rumour, e.g. OMFG ASGARD RAAAPE GOA'ULD, THEY PROTECT US FROM THE EVIL ONES

So I figure these guys are gonna play the part of the mysterious, benevolent alien race that helps destiny and its crew throughout the series and then eventually we'll come into contact with them.

I doubt they will ever encounter them. This race is so advanced it could bring them back to Earth. We don't even know if they're around anymore, it's possible they ascended like the Ancients... maybe they created solar system as ascended beings (only the Ancients have the strict non-interference policy).
Also, I don't see what the big deal is in making a star... if there was a nebula there, any race with artificial gravity technology and a powerful power-source could do it. Place the artificial gravity generator at the center of the nebula and let it attract the gas... when it becomes dense enough it will collapse by itself into a star. I admit that making the Earth-like planet seem a lot more difficult

MattSilver 3k
April 17th, 2010, 05:09 AM
No.

Well, onto plan B:
Whenever someone mentions the furlings, a puppy dies and a child loses a limb. Also, I want to cause bodily harm to that person.

reddevil18
April 17th, 2010, 05:12 AM
Well, onto plan B:You gonna bust some heads along with me, brotha'? BTW, think of Desmond when you read my "brotha'"...

J-Whitt Remastered
April 17th, 2010, 05:24 AM
When Destiny gets pulled out of FTL by a Dyson sphere, then come find me.

I like that one. Green!

aretood2
April 17th, 2010, 05:27 AM
Is anyone else bothered by the tittle of this thread?

Commander Zelix
April 17th, 2010, 05:50 AM
Wrong, it was the Shelby's...

But seriously now: Furlings are native to the Milky Way, there is no way they could have reached that galaxy and still live throught the million year trip.
Isn't it what the Destiny crew did when they traveled to the Destiny via Icarus using the 9th Chevron? The technology existed, its certainly possible. From what we know, its simply about generating enough power from now on.

J-Whitt Remastered
April 17th, 2010, 05:50 AM

Yeah. I just ignored it though. I know what was meant by it.

The Swarm
April 17th, 2010, 07:04 AM
Anyway the Godlike aliens might not even be in this galaxy anymore, heck they might be all dead or ascended like the Ancients.

Im also nameing this galaxy: "the Twilight Zone", a place where God, facehuggers, catholic dust devils and smurfs call home.

Werewolfhero
April 17th, 2010, 07:05 AM
I'd say its 3 possible repsonses

1.) The furlings ( sorry couldn't resist but theres nothing to prove that they couldn't and nothing to prove that they were from MW since they've never officially be introduced.)

2.) The ascended ancients just because they could and since the planet seems to be uninhabited then they wouldn't have broken their rule of interferring when they did made it. (the obelisk either be the location of the astral diner daniel was taken to or where they intended to have that conference that was mentioned in the ascended times from the same ep (sg1-threads) ) X'D

3.) The hostile aliens from the previous battle (most likely senario)

The Swarm
April 17th, 2010, 07:10 AM
None of the above becouse:

1) Furlings are just a running gag in the show.

2) Ancients didnt do anything while the Ori, Wraith or Goa'Uld killed millions of humans ....are we expected to belive that they drop a perfectly habitable solar system for less than 80 people?

3) No....Rush sayed it himself and he knows more about them than anyone on board the ship. If they were that advanced they wouldnt bother with Destiny.

-Plot::Twist-
April 17th, 2010, 07:21 AM
It was Q!

knowles2
April 17th, 2010, 07:26 AM
Unless they knew the Destiny course an have faster ships an superior power sources. Considering the Furling could cloak an entire moon, perminantly, it a possibility that they did process both. Given that they were in alliance which was there to share knowledge, it likely the ancients would of shared the knowledge of the destiny.

Werewolfhero
April 17th, 2010, 07:30 AM
Theres actually another option... that could be more likely than just creating a planet, but rather it was moved by some force/technology. In SG1 there was both planet sized stargates and merlin had the obelisk network to constantly shift his lab from one planet to another. So maybe theres other technology similar and this 2000ft obelisk is powerful enough to move the planet from one place to another, any other planets in the system might have similar devices. While it wouldnt explain who's behind it, it could explain how the planets got there.

It was Q!

Well there could be beings out there more evolved than the anicents who dont worry about interferring X'D

Mike.
April 17th, 2010, 07:45 AM
A sun and a single planet - that's the whole solar system. "Perfect" to support life, no predators, and a huge obelisk. Doesn't this seem like a monument ? We build statues, an insanely advanced race builds a solar system. Something to commemorate the loss of their own home world, or as a symbol to remember their origins, their beginnings.

The signal - the equivalent of a light to call attention to the presence of this "art" so that others could see it. Or just for them.

Why it was in Destiny's path - the ascended ancients made it. Kind of like an inside joke, they never made it this far out while they were corporal but always wanted to.

Like us catching up to the Voyager probe, replacing its power source and antennae and then letting it continue on its course; or building a museum on Mars around the rovers.

For all intents and purposes it was in the middle of nowhere, far from any civilizations or life forms - so they would not break their rule of non interfering.

The_Asgard_live
April 17th, 2010, 07:52 AM
None of the above becouse:
2) Ancients didnt do anything while the Ori, Wraith or Goa'Uld killed millions of humans ....are we expected to belive that they drop a perfectly habitable solar system for less than 80 people?

Not all the Ancients followed that doctrine. And some Ancients could have splintered off from the Milky Way group. Even Janus might could have done this... It seems like a safe bet that the Ancients you are talking about wouldn't have done it, but are they the only ones around?

And ancients might not be the only ascended species.

Werewolfhero
April 17th, 2010, 07:52 AM
A sun and a single planet - that's the whole solar system. "Perfect" to support life, no predators, and a huge obelisk. Doesn't this seem like a monument ? We build statues, an insanely advanced race builds a solar system. Something to commemorate the loss of their own home world, or as a symbol to remember their origins, their beginnings.

The signal - the equivalent of a light to call attention to the presence of this "art" so that others could see it. Or just for them.

Why it was in Destiny's path - the ascended ancients made it. Kind of like an inside joke, they never made it this far out while they were corporal but always wanted to.

Like us catching up to the Voyager probe, replacing its power source and antennae and then letting it continue on its course; or building a museum on Mars around the rovers.

For all intents and purposes it was in the middle of nowhere, far from any civilizations or life forms - so they would not break their rule of non interfering.

That reminds me of that episode from ST-Voyager with that malfunctioning obelisk that made the crew think they took part in a horrible war.

Orion475
April 17th, 2010, 08:34 AM
If these are not the Furlings I'm sure they will become as famous as they were once they were mentioned on
SG-1. This race is to be the Furlings of SGU.

I just knew the planet was created. Obvious to everyone, I hope.

Crystal Skull aliens or the Aliens from the episode "Grace" http://stargate.wikia.com/wiki/Ship_(Grace)

kirmit
April 17th, 2010, 08:51 AM
Theres actually another option... that could be more likely than just creating a planet, but rather it was moved by some force/technology. In SG1 there was both planet sized stargates and merlin had the obelisk network to constantly shift his lab from one planet to another.

When was there planet sized stargates in SG-1? We had supergates but they were hardly planet sized, ori ships just barely fit through them.

eonflux
April 17th, 2010, 09:09 AM
Im also nameing this galaxy: "the Twilight Zone", a place where God, facehuggers, catholic dust devils and smurfs call home.

Every variable in life is possible even if you look at our small planet there is an insane diversity.

Interesting about what you are saying about god. And please im not bashing or questioning your faith. No one said that god is the only one who can create planets. That our concept and been spoon fed since birth to most of us. But what if 'God'was such an advance type of Alien which could do these things. Wouldn't we perceive them as gods.
Also if we would travel back in time with the knowledge we have would the ppl their not perceive us a gods?

We can't tell who build it and how long it's been there. They can only guess. FRom the activity of the sun they guessed it was 200 billion years old. But that doesn't mean it could have somehow been placed just yesterday.

What interesting is that all we know from our own solar system and forming of planets is theoretical. A few days ago this show on National Geographic mentioned that maybe all books need to be rewritten. Because they can't explain why some planets exist like they do right now and why they are there with the current explanation.

It the same series which theories on why we haven't met an alien yet and which faster than light propulsion would work

Encoder
April 17th, 2010, 09:12 AM
Seriously guys, it's a replicator outpost that never got populated...just a dumb spire that sends out a beam of light :P

Ok seriously, I'm putting my money on the Lucian Alliance or the Genii! :P

:sheppard:

dacooker
April 17th, 2010, 09:15 AM
Quite possible, for all we know. We know there were four great race. The Lanteans, Nox, Asgurd, and the Furlings. The Lanteans got a plague, so they ascended or died out. The Nox went into hiding, and the Asgurd killed themselves. We know nothing about the Furlings, only that they may possibly be still alive. If they are still alive, it'll be safe to assume that their technology would be very far advanced. As advanced if not more than Asgurd tech. We also know they breathe oxygen and live in environments similar to us, as per that one SG1 episode we're Mayborn found that moon. If so, yes they could have made a Genesis device, I mean come on Kirks son did in Wrath of Khan.

Kaiphantom
April 17th, 2010, 09:21 AM
Gonna say ancients.

They might not interfere in matters of the Milky Way, but they are most likely watching what goes on. At the least, they love knowledge. And the Destiny is even farther away, having uncovered more of the universe then they thought possible. When the gate was activated, I'm guessing at least one ancient went along with them, and that one would have been so far out of reach of the rest of the ancients, that they could do what they want... such as creating a star system with an earth-like planet in the path of Destiny so it would drop out of FTL, to allow the Earthlings to restock their food stores. It's not interfering, per se, because they don't directly influence events. They just create something in the middle of nowhere, and what the Earthlings do is their choice.

Encoder
April 17th, 2010, 09:29 AM
Quite possible, for all we know. We know there were four great race. The Lanteans, Nox, Asgurd, and the Furlings. The Lanteans got a plague, so they ascended or died out. The Nox went into hiding, and the Asgurd killed themselves. We know nothing about the Furlings, only that they may possibly be still alive. If they are still alive, it'll be safe to assume that their technology would be very far advanced. As advanced if not more than Asgurd tech. We also know they breathe oxygen and live in environments similar to us, as per that one SG1 episode we're Mayborn found that moon. If so, yes they could have made a Genesis device, I mean come on Kirks son did in Wrath of Khan.

I think that for the Furlings, I'm gonna have to say that, although they were one of the four great races, the lack of technology, artefacts, ruins, culture or any other evidence that they existed suggests that they were as wide spread thoughout our galaxy (or the universe for that fact) as the Nox are.

This suggests that the Furlings never made it to other worlds and kinda precludes them from participating in ventures such as this.

Although it does not rule them out, I feel that the lack of evidence as I stated above suggests that they are not the most likely candidates.

I'm still betting on the Lucian Alliance or the Genii :P

FloralWraith
April 17th, 2010, 09:50 AM
How about the Ascended?

The Ascended aren't probably all Ancients/Alterrans/Lanteans, some of them may be other alien races. Maybe not all the ascended abide by the same rules.

My first thought when they mentionned the planet and the star were the Ascended.

kymeric
April 17th, 2010, 10:08 AM
You gonna bust some heads along with me, brotha'? BTW, think of Desmond when you read my "brotha'"...

Maybe the monolith IS the aliens? OMG IZ FULLA STARZZZZZ

Trinary
April 17th, 2010, 10:13 AM
I think they were a vegetarian race. Creating the planet for the purpose of food supplies colony. A strange planet with plants that no require animal help in their growing process.

Alien encounter
April 17th, 2010, 10:16 AM

Soooo God is an alien now....

"Gods" have been, from the early episodes of SG-1 or even from the stargate movie itself. :D

garhkal
April 17th, 2010, 10:29 AM
All joking asside, part of me is wondering if it was not put there BY the ancients as an olive branch...

Alien encounter
April 17th, 2010, 10:34 AM
about the furling thing ..... may be some furlings got away and stated experimenting with creating planets and star systems :D

garhkal
April 17th, 2010, 11:14 AM
IMO the introduction of this Alien race reminds me of SG1. When SG1 began, the team often came across evidence of the Asgard's existence

That would make for a little 'reuse plot though..

Nothing overt. Remember, they did help out with info here and there, and who's to say that now the Ori are gone, they have not relaxed that rule a little.

That is a good point. maybe one of them DID make this, as a way to help his brethren out who WOULD have gone to the destiny, but never realised that the others did not make the trip.

aretood2
April 17th, 2010, 12:47 PM
All joking asside, part of me is wondering if it was not put there BY the ancients as an olive branch...

Like a meeting point...that actually makes sense.

wingsabre
April 17th, 2010, 12:52 PM
For all we know the obelisk could be some form of Dakara weapon or something like that which helps speed up evolution. It could serve similar to the monolith in 2001: A Space Odyssey. They said the star was young, and the planet is expected to be filled with molten lava. The aliens that created the planet could simply have implanted the obelisk to prepare for colonization, and the obelisk itself is like a form of seeder.

Egle01
April 17th, 2010, 01:22 PM
I liked that we know so little about this race. They seem more mysterious that way.

reddevil18
April 17th, 2010, 01:24 PM
I liked that we know so little about this race. They seem more mysterious that way.SGU's very own Furlings. *gags*

koroush47
April 17th, 2010, 01:28 PM
What do you guys think?

Will we ever find out what the story of the planet is? Whether it was created by some uber smart aliens or if the humans on the planet ever meet the builders of the obelisk?

I hope they elaborate on the planet soon, but the fact that none of the main characters stayed behind makes me think they will never get to the planet again / hear of it.

reddevil18
April 17th, 2010, 01:29 PM
The planet? No. The alien civilization? Probably.

koroush47
April 17th, 2010, 01:34 PM
If these are not the Furlings I'm sure they will become as famous as they were once they were mentioned on
SG-1. This race is to be the Furlings of SGU.

I just knew the planet was created. Obvious to everyone, I hope.

Crystal Skull aliens or the Aliens from the episode "Grace" http://stargate.wikia.com/wiki/Ship_(Grace)

I doubt the crystal skull aliens are the ones who made it.

They aren't smart enough.

And by grace, do you mean the enemy ship or the nebula?

Seriously guys, it's a replicator outpost that never got populated...just a dumb spire that sends out a beam of light :P

Ok seriously, I'm putting my money on the Lucian Alliance or the Genii! :P

The Genii can't even make nukes and the lucian alliance is stupid.

How could either of them travel billions of lightyears and make a solar system \ Even want to?

I think you are joking.

koroush47
April 17th, 2010, 01:36 PM

Not literally, I mean will the story of the plan ever be revisited.

randomking
April 17th, 2010, 01:41 PM
well its really oveus to me who maid the plaint...same race that maid earth sept we got a black square building to start earth....

reddevil18
April 17th, 2010, 01:41 PM
Not literally, I mean will the story of the plan ever be revisited.And I think no, aside from maybe a throw-away line like "Hey, these are the guys that built that one thing back then, when Caine was all mad, remember?", in relation to the massive Cthulhu family floating in front of Destiny in some future episode.

koroush47
April 17th, 2010, 01:47 PM
well its really oveus to me who maid the plaint...same race that maid earth sept we got a black square building to start earth....

Nobody made earth, but they suggested that the ancients started life in the milky way.

Egle01
April 17th, 2010, 01:50 PM
SGU's very own Furlings. *gags*But they don't have a name, so there! :P Better than Furlings. :P

reddevil18
April 17th, 2010, 01:51 PM
But they don't have a name, so there! :P Better than Furlings. :PThe Potbellies or something like that, most likely...

Egle01
April 17th, 2010, 01:54 PM
The Potbellies or something like that, most likely...I'm thinking the Obelisk aliens. Imaginative, no?

jsonitsac
April 17th, 2010, 01:54 PM
Ascended beings seem most likely. Creating an entire star and planet seem way out of the realm of possibility for most un-ascended beings we've seen. It could be a third group of ascended beings not descended from the Alterans, and feel that they can apply their own rules.

koroush47
April 17th, 2010, 01:56 PM
Ascended beings seem most likely. Creating an entire star and planet seem way out of the realm of possibility for most un-ascended beings we've seen. It could be a third group of ascended beings not descended from the Alterans, and feel that they can apply their own rules.

I hope it isn't.

I'm sick of ascended aliens, Lets just have normal aliens please.

Egle01
April 17th, 2010, 01:58 PM
There's a clip in 1.5 trailer -
- that shows Greer running. The place looks pretty similar to the "Faith" planet.

http://www.gateworld.net/gallery/albums/uni_season1/Teaser-04/normal_uni_teaser04_88.jpg

General Jumper One
April 17th, 2010, 01:59 PM
Ascended Ancients!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Egle01
April 17th, 2010, 02:00 PM
No, please don't let it be the Ancients.

koroush47
April 17th, 2010, 02:01 PM
- that shows Greer running. The place looks pretty similar to the "Faith" planet.

http://www.gateworld.net/gallery/albums/uni_season1/Teaser-04/normal_uni_teaser04_88.jpg

Nice find. Greer is on the destiny though. Lets see what happens.

Replicator Todd
April 17th, 2010, 02:11 PM

Agreed.

jelgate
April 17th, 2010, 02:20 PM
Unless Destiny has a reverse I doubt it

reddevil18
April 17th, 2010, 02:22 PM

http://www.gateworld.net/gallery/albums/uni_season1/Teaser-04/normal_uni_teaser04_88.jpgIt's not.

DigiFluid
April 17th, 2010, 02:35 PM
I doubt the planet will ever be revisited. As far as who's responsible for it, I'm actually kind of hoping not. I think it would just add to the mystery of being in a totally alien part of the universe.

April 17th, 2010, 02:55 PM
Maybe they used time dilation technology in an existing stellar nursery to speed up a natural process. So maybe the Asgard would eventually be able to do this too.

smooTh__
April 17th, 2010, 03:04 PM

It's grass and trees O_o

Its similar to like... every planet ever.

Lord Hurin
April 17th, 2010, 03:11 PM

You have NO idea how relieved I am that the spoiler box didn't contain the word "clap." :P

Commander Zelix
April 17th, 2010, 03:36 PM
Quite possible, for all we know. We know there were four great race. The Lanteans, Nox, Asgurd, and the Furlings.
That's in our part of the universe. The part of the universe where the Destiny is can have its own powerful races.

Worfcool
April 17th, 2010, 03:37 PM
I don't think it could have been the Ancients. I haven't rewatched the episode yet, but I think that they mentioned alien writing on the obelisk. If it were Ancient (or even Furling for that matter) they would have recognized the writing on it.

The light that came out of the obelisk reminded me of the light from the communication device that the Tollan used to contact the Nox. It was a different colour, I know, but I think that the best explanation is that the obelisk sent a message out to whoever made the planet.

Gollumpus
April 17th, 2010, 07:12 PM
Well, we are talking about a being/race/thing? which can make a star and fast-track a planet's evolution. Maybe they can move it as well...

regards,
G.

waiyinchung
April 17th, 2010, 07:23 PM
Please let it be the Furlings. ..... that would really tie it into mythology of the universe. The last of the four great races finally revealed... how nice would that be.

Pharaoh Atem
April 17th, 2010, 07:27 PM
nope destiny only goes one way. and going back out on location cost's money and i doubt brad and rob would want to it

Gollumpus
April 17th, 2010, 08:25 PM
nope destiny only goes one way. and going back out on location cost's money and i doubt brad and rob would want to it

Destiny only goes one way, yes. And if the maker(s) of the system keep picking it up and throwing it into the path of the ship... :)

regards,
G.

carmencatalina
April 17th, 2010, 08:29 PM
Destiny only goes one way, yes. And if the maker(s) of the system keep picking it up and throwing it into the path of the ship...

That would be eerily cool.

"Um, Colonel Young? That planet has just shown up again."

Gollumpus
April 17th, 2010, 08:30 PM
Well, it is science fiction. :)

regards,
G.

General Jumper One
April 17th, 2010, 08:53 PM
I think the Ancients built the solar system, and either the blue aliens or someone else built the tower thing.

Gollumpus
April 17th, 2010, 08:59 PM
I thought they were planning a spin-off series due to the popularity of and ongoing curiosity about the Furlings. The working title is something like: "Stargate: The Furling Universe".

regards,
G.

the fifth man
April 17th, 2010, 09:10 PM
Personally, I don't want this alien race to be the Furlings, the Ancients, or any other being we have encountered in the past. If Destiny is on the other side of the universe, why should it be a race we know of?

norph
April 17th, 2010, 09:49 PM
That would be eerily cool.

"Um, Colonel Young? That planet has just shown up again."

Unlikely to happenn but imagine if the obelisk has a time dilation device in it, those 11 people they left behind would become an village or a town with a much larger population if they bump into it again :)
They did say in the show that the planet is suppose to be a molten rock for it's age, I'm guess one possibility is someone sped up the planet's development through time dilation.

Iffy
April 17th, 2010, 10:01 PM
I do hope the civilization that created is comes back. Planet most likely no other than characters remembering the good eats from there.

Phenom
April 17th, 2010, 10:06 PM
I think the race that our ancients call 'the ancients' should be the ones that built the solar system

Demoniser
April 18th, 2010, 02:42 AM
from JM's blog. http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/

Sean D. writes: “

4. Eli said, in reference to the large structure on the planet (in “Faith”), “…markings like some kind of alien language”… so it’s probably not Ancient (unless the Ascended Ancients have another language or another race that Ascended), though curiosity is through the roof: did the Ancients, the Space aliens, or another race create that star, planet, and/or structure? (Or probably a safer question: Will that question be answered this season?) ;)

Answer : 4. Elements of this particular storyline will be picked up at a later date. Cryptic, no?

DasNdanger writes: “1. Was the question of how the planet came into existence purposely not answered to allow characters (and audiences) to draw their own conclusions?

2. Will the question ever be answered?

3. Will we learn the purpose of the beam?”

Answers: 1. Yep. 2 and 3 – You’ll have to wait and see…

pipi
April 18th, 2010, 02:56 AM
I don't the planet would be but probably the aliens will abduct the survivors or something and catchup with Destiny.

Ukko
April 18th, 2010, 03:03 AM
Unlikely to happenn but imagine if the obelisk has a time dilation device in it, those 11 people they left behind would become an village or a town with a much larger population if they bump into it again :)
They did say in the show that the planet is suppose to be a molten rock for it's age, I'm guess one possibility is someone sped up the planet's development through time dilation.

Im no expert, but with only 11 people, wouldnt that require a lot of inbreeding?:S

Inquisitor
April 18th, 2010, 03:45 AM
Wormhole drive.

Egle01
April 18th, 2010, 06:02 AM
It's grass and trees O_o

Its similar to like... every planet ever.:rolleyes: Yes, esp with SGU planets so far - the desert planet, the ice planet, the jungle planet, the "Justice" planet. Identical.

thekillman
April 18th, 2010, 06:26 AM
mmm it's easy to make another one (in stargate that is). a planet becomes a fireball when it's young because of the heat from the gas clouds and from potential energy. hyperspacing asteroids close to eachother to form a planet, throwing some comets on them and spreading seeds, should make the cooldown requirements considerably shorter.

norph
April 18th, 2010, 06:35 AM
My guess will depend if we are going to bump into the alien civilization again in the future.
If yes, my guess is probably formerly ascended Ancients or Ori that have broken away from the main group long ago who have descended back to human form again, but before they did so, they created a whole bunch of new habitable solar systems for themselves, that might explain why the planet enviroment and plant life are ideal to support human life (and probably easier to have human looking aliens on camera if the aliens are going to have alot of screen time).

The obelisk could also be an automated defence system. It allowed human lifeform to enter but not other alien life form like the blue aliens.

I bet they are not going to be happy that they have been found again by humans from milky way/ori galaxy after all the trouble and distance they went to break away.

Mike.
April 18th, 2010, 06:47 AM
I wonder if the Destiny crew could signal a seeder ship in the vicinity to drop a gate there.

Just sending the environment readings should be enough - "perfect".

Macphisto
April 18th, 2010, 07:04 AM
I doubt this race is any we've seen yet.

My bet is that one of the seed ships did find that planet and did plant a stargate there, but whoever created that planet became aware of it. They removed the Stargate and were either able to remove the entry from Destiny or prevent the data from ever arriving aboard Destiny.

Destiny's path seems to be variable depending on needs entered into the database. So they would not have known that Destiny would stop by a hundreds or thousands of years after the seed ship stopped by.

Who knows, maybe they even destroyed or commandeered the seed ship that passed by?

thekillman
April 18th, 2010, 07:34 AM
i think the local ascended did it. as opposed to extremist "interference or not" they created an opportunity for the crew.

Character
April 18th, 2010, 08:18 AM
Obviously it wasnt the ancients or any other known race, since they didnt recognize the writing on the obelisk. I also really doubt (and fear) its ascended being, since for one, thats heavily from previous series and SGU seems to take very little from those, and secondly, why would ascended being put an obelisk there? and then send out a signal?

My money is on a new exciting and mysterious race, like the asgard and ancients were in the begging of SG1.

Nikec3
April 18th, 2010, 08:28 AM
Someone asked this on Joe Mallozzi's blog:

Eli said, in reference to the large structure on the planet (in “Faith”), “…markings like some kind of alien language”… so it’s probably not Ancient (unless the Ascended Ancients have another language or another race that Ascended), though curiosity is through the roof: did the Ancients, the Space aliens, or another race create that star, planet, and/or structure? (Or probably a safer question: Will that question be answered this season?)

And Joe answered: Elements of this particular storyline will be picked up at a later date. Cryptic, no?

General Jumper One
April 18th, 2010, 08:33 AM
the Ancients didn't build the obelisk, they built the solar system.

Commander Zelix
April 18th, 2010, 08:36 AM
Someone asked this on Joe Mallozzi's blog:

Eli said, in reference to the large structure on the planet (in “Faith”), “…markings like some kind of alien language”… so it’s probably not Ancient (unless the Ascended Ancients have another language or another race that Ascended), though curiosity is through the roof: did the Ancients, the Space aliens, or another race create that star, planet, and/or structure? (Or probably a safer question: Will that question be answered this season?)

And Joe answered: Elements of this particular storyline will be picked up at a later date. Cryptic, no?
The fact that the obelisk sent some kind of signal will probably lead to something.

Macphisto
April 18th, 2010, 08:45 AM
The fact that the obelisk sent some kind of signal will probably lead to something.

Hopefully.

I wonder if we'll get to revisit those left behind. Thus far I think there were the two that went through the gate in Air Part 3, leaving the desert planet, and these guys.

Commander Zelix
April 18th, 2010, 08:54 AM
Hopefully.

I wonder if we'll get to revisit those left behind. Thus far I think there were the two that went through the gate in Air Part 3, leaving the desert planet, and these guys.
The problem is that the crew don't have control over the ship, so the Destiny is not likely to physically come back to the planet. The only way I see for them to meet those people again (from air 3 and faith) is if some aliens pick them up and either send them on the Destiny path or back to earth. As someone said, it would be pretty cool if in the next few episodes some aliens sent Caine and his apostle back to earth. If I was Caine I would then voluteer to be a swap stones body just to rub it in*. LOL

* Also give some love to James. ;)

Demoniser
April 18th, 2010, 08:59 AM
You know i can actually see that happening strangely enough, not the rubbing in part but those who chose to stay on the planet actually being returned to earth. It would be a major kick in the teeth for those left on the ship and certainly an interesting plot development.

thekillman
April 18th, 2010, 10:33 AM
even cooler would be: we visit a planet... and they're there!

since for one, thats heavily from previous series and SGU seems to take very little from those

stargates, stones, the suits, to name a few?

Character
April 18th, 2010, 12:40 PM
stargates, stones, the suits, to name a few?

And thats about it, even then the suits are pretty much just reused props. Where are any alien gizmos, like zats? or anything introduced not in SGU? Even the stones and suits you mentioned are different. As for the stargate, well if that wasnt in the show, it would hardly be even related to the rest of the franchise.

garhkal
April 18th, 2010, 12:52 PM
Yes. Since we know that (according to Oma) there were other races out there in the ranks of the Ascended, who is to say one of those races weren't from that area of space, and the Ancients made this planet as a 'peace offering' to them.

garhkal
April 18th, 2010, 01:09 PM

Wasn't there an SG1 ep where a Gou'ald fast tracked the humans there? Also we had that meditation village in SGA where they used a time dilation device to allow those inside to learn to ascend. So it is not out of the question.

garhkal
April 18th, 2010, 01:23 PM
You know i can actually see that happening strangely enough, not the rubbing in part but those who chose to stay on the planet actually being returned to earth. It would be a major kick in the teeth for those left on the ship and certainly an interesting plot development.

Or the same ones who made it, move it to another part of the galaxy ahead of us..

rvi9981
April 18th, 2010, 01:48 PM
guess a puppy died, a child lost a limb and i am getting my butt wooped lol

Shpinxinator
April 18th, 2010, 02:01 PM

Sorry it's the product of being overly tired, mild dyslexia and not being able to correct it once it was posted

luckylad
April 18th, 2010, 02:38 PM
It seems quite a coincidence that the planet was placed right in their path, And was created in that spot after the seeder ship had passed through. Its almost feels like someone is well aware of them, someone more advanced.

The strange radiation they detected seems weird too in reminded me of that greek story with the syrens with the beautiful song slightly as if someone was trying to lure them from the ship offering them eden.

Maybe it was some kind of signal bouy and oblesix pointed towards something maybe

reddevil18
April 18th, 2010, 02:42 PM
Dr. Caine, is that you? How's the Kool-Aid?

tombombadil
i'd like to think that the people who built it start with an f, are very cute, and quite possibly the most advanced race never seen but often mentioned.

luckylad
It cant be the furlings as people have seen their language, And there were writings on the thing so someone would of recognised it no?

tombombadil
April 18th, 2010, 02:58 PM
why do we think the furlings couldn't have gone that far into space? we've seen very little of their tech, and have no idea where they came from. furlings are as plausible as anything else.

tombombadil
April 18th, 2010, 02:59 PM
It cant be the furlings as people have seen their language, And there were writings on the thing so someone would of recognised it no?where did you see their language? it's been speculated that some languages are furling, but we have no idea.

luckylad
April 18th, 2010, 03:01 PM
i dont know what you mean, i think your a jive turkey

luckylad
April 18th, 2010, 03:04 PM
where did you see their language? it's been speculated that some languages are furling, but we have no idea.
the torment of tantulous (think thats right) in the hall of the 4 great races it had all the languages in the hall. And also i think that episode where meybourne took jack on a nice holiday to that lovely planet for a few weeks (self catering)

reddevil18
April 18th, 2010, 03:09 PM
Seriously? Did we go back in time 4 decades?

luckylad
April 18th, 2010, 03:10 PM
last time i checked yes

tombombadil
April 18th, 2010, 03:17 PM
uh...are people forgetting this is stargate?? Hasn't anyone learned that it is ridiculous, and often dangerous to mistake advanced alien technology for the work of gods? Especially people working with the stargate program??? or did people forget about the ori, the goauld, and anyone else who claimed to be a god? Hell there was evidence of extremely advance tech on the planet, and people still seem to think it's the work of a god. thoughts?

Lord Hurin
April 18th, 2010, 03:19 PM
i dont know what you mean, i think your a jive turkey

That just reminded me of the film "Semi-Pro." It was semi-watchable.

tombombadil
April 18th, 2010, 03:25 PM
the torment of tantulous (think thats right) in the hall of the 4 great races it had all the languages in the hall. And also i think that episode where meybourne took jack on a nice holiday to that lovely planet for a few weeks (self catering)
fair enough then. but who's to say their language hasn't changed over the millennia? hell, it's pretty rare for languages to not go through some sort of alteration, either in pronunciation, or writing.

reddevil18
April 18th, 2010, 03:33 PM
Yes. Caine/Kaine/however you spell it was nuts. And this is amply covered in at least one other thread.

jelgate
April 18th, 2010, 03:42 PM
Just because people have posed as gods who is to say thier isn't one out there? At least that would be Caine's defense

Pharaoh Atem
April 18th, 2010, 03:44 PM
thoughts?

god did it. and nobody on this forum will change my mind

major davis
April 18th, 2010, 04:19 PM
If this happened to me I would totally still believe God did it. Just because there have been a ton of powerful imposters of God's doesn't mean there is no true God.

Coronach
April 18th, 2010, 04:23 PM
Note, that the OP never said anything about there not being a God or gods. His only point is that why did the characters (and why would so many posters, apparently) jump to the conclusion that a god did it given the experiences of the past.

If anything, people should be extremely skeptical that a god is directly involved in this particular instance, especially given the alien spire on the planet.

This says nothing about there being a god or not, it's just strange that it's always the #1 go-to answer for a mysterious occurrence.

reddevil18
April 18th, 2010, 04:27 PM
Note, that the OP never said anything about there not being a God or gods. His only point is that why did the characters (and why would so many posters, apparently) jump to the conclusion that a god did it given the experiences of the past.

If anything, people should be extremely skeptical that a god is directly involved in this particular instance, especially given the alien spire on the planet.

This says nothing about there being a god or not, it's just strange that it's always the #1 go-to answer for a mysterious occurrence.+1

jelgate
April 18th, 2010, 04:38 PM
+1

Coronach
April 18th, 2010, 04:39 PM

>>9,000!!!!

reddevil18
April 18th, 2010, 04:42 PM
Bible thumper!

jelgate
April 18th, 2010, 04:46 PM
>>9,000!!!!

stargator87
April 18th, 2010, 05:01 PM

This says nothing about there being a god or not, it's just strange that it's always the #1 go-to answer for a mysterious occurrence.

I think that it is human nature to look at semi-miraculous phenomena and jump to the "higher power" conclusion. If you think about it, it's much easier and more comforting to think that some great omniscient being is watching us and guiding us as we make our way through our lives, versus looking through the lens of the scientific method, or in the case if SGU, past experience. Caine and some of those who took his view were understandably ready to believe that some greater power was guiding their path, considering the staggering danger and uncertainty they face on a day-to-day basis on Destiny. Caine's counterpoint in Faith, Dr. Sideburns, took the "everything is random" approach, which I'm not sure is the right way to look at it either. It's entirely possible, speculatively speaking, that a time traveling/time viewing species with advanced technology placed that planet in Destiny's path, but it's also entirely possible that the glitch in Destiny's navigation and the fact that it brought them to the planet is completely random. If you apply the scientific method, neither possibility can be dis-proven, even though current knowledge supports Dr. Sideburns theory. I guess my point is that even though both sides have their appeal, there is no way, scientific or otherwise, to make a decision based on certainty. Therefore, any course of action by Destiny's crew would be based on, or lack of, Faith.

K^2
April 18th, 2010, 05:03 PM
Anybody else thinks that the system wasn't built, but rather transported to location? Using hyperdrive technique similar to one used by SG-1 team to make an asteroid pass through Earth.

The planet appears to be old. It's not a ball of molten rock, as pointed out in the episode. Perhaps, it was orbiting a dying star. G-type stars tend to become red giants late in life. So the only way to save the planet would have been to take it to another star. We can probably assume that replacement was chosen as young G2 because the original was also a G2.

Why not simply take planet to a star? Because a young G2 star will have a ton of asteroids around it. The aliens wanted to protect a planet, so they dragged the young G2 star to a complete empty point in space, then towed the planet to it.

Within SG-verse, this sounds like something that even the ancients might have been able to pull off if they put their mind to it. So this would still be a super-advanced civilization, but nowhere near as god-like as creation of a star and planet from scratch would have made them.

hiro
April 18th, 2010, 05:05 PM
The Magratheans...
...duh

agree!!! sure they did =D

nice !! planet bob !!

Maybe they used time dilation technology in an existing stellar nursery to speed up a natural process. So maybe the Asgard would eventually be able to do this too.
the Asgard are dead but we'll keep Tor in our hearts

wingsabre
April 18th, 2010, 05:35 PM
Maybe it's the same aliens that invented the Touchstone. It was never specified who invented, and if they were wanderers. The Obelisk in itself could be some weather control device to terraform the planet, and at the same time could be some alien communication/monitoring system.

skarwolf
April 18th, 2010, 06:33 PM
Pierson's Puppeteers.

regards,
G.

If it was Pierson's Puppeteers they would've known about the Destiny. In fact they were probably behind influencing the Ori to go a separate path to challenge the Ancients and slow them down from advancing further and thus becoming a threat to the Pierson's Puppeteers :D

Major_Griff
April 18th, 2010, 06:40 PM
This is totally ridiculous, but could the Nox have created that planet? We know they were one of the great races, and have had millions of years since Destiny launched and millions more since the Ancients died out/ascended/left the MW for Pegasus. Is is possible they have advanced to the point of being able to create a star system and to the point of being able to get that deep into space? Could the writing on the obelisk have been Nox? I doubt Eli could recognize Nox writing and I don't know who else saw the writing but who knows if any of them would have been able to know it was Nox?

AND the Nox can make things invisible so it's totally possible that there were a bunch of flying cities around that they cloaked and waited for the humans to leave. They are non violent and would just hide instead of trying to make them leave.

Now why was this planet there? Why did they leave the obelisk uncloaked and what was the beam? I don't know, but since this theory is almost certainly wrong I don't care to answer those questions.

skarwolf
April 18th, 2010, 06:50 PM
Might never find out what the beam was. Remember Star Trek TNG how many times episodes ended like that ? For example when those little crab things were going into peoples throats and controlling them. When they kill the "queen" crab it ends with them detecting a signal being sent to deep space... or when they encounter those alternate reality aliens who did experiments on crew members until they're forced out... all story lines that ended quite ambiguously.

General Jumper One
April 18th, 2010, 08:53 PM
the beam from the obelisk looks like the Wraith beam from an episode of Atlantis in season 1, teyla and sheppard visit a planet that is being culled and one of the hives is shooting a beam down to the surface and they look the same.

pipi
April 18th, 2010, 10:03 PM
That planet had a very large surface area. The chances that the shuttle randomly flew from Destiny to the surface and found that alien structure are like 1 billion to 1, not to mention planet rotation. And the aliens could have been there for all we know, just on a different part of the planet, like the opposite side? Where raydar and scanners won't transmit through the planet. Big place.

nx01a
April 19th, 2010, 12:06 AM
The planet and its builders?
Perhaps the first of many races and technologies in SGU to never be heard from again... :(

Sami_
April 19th, 2010, 12:07 AM
I thought it was more than a little odd that they came to the conclusion that the planet and sun were created because the seeder ship(s) didn't scan and/or send the information to Destiny.

There are much more plausible reasons than someone created a star and a planet.

Not questioning the validity of the conclusion within SGU but it just seems like poor writing to me.

The Swarm
April 19th, 2010, 12:37 AM
They didnt come to the conclusion that the solar system was created becouse of the seeder ship missing it....its becouse the age of the sun doesnt fit with the planets condition and the fact that an alien structure is based on the planet are big hints i must say.

Sami_
April 19th, 2010, 01:13 AM
They didnt come to the conclusion that the solar system was created becouse of the seeder ship missing it....its becouse the age of the sun doesnt fit with the planets condition and the fact that an alien structure is based on the planet are big hints i must say.

Well we already know that their conclusion on that front is wrong, they say the star is 100-200 million years old and we know the seeder ship passed by long after that so there has to be some other reason that the seeder ship didn't scan it other than the fact that it wasn't there.

nx01a
April 19th, 2010, 01:26 AM
The other conclusion is that the seeder ships intentionally left info on that system out because they recognized the threat of its builders... but leaving out potentially vital info on All Powerful Beings is usually a bad thing.
Oh. Wait. Ancients. Never mind.:D

wingsabre
April 19th, 2010, 01:48 AM
The other conclusion is that the seeder ships intentionally left info on that system out because they recognized the threat of its builders... but leaving out potentially vital info on All Powerful Beings is usually a bad thing.
Oh. Wait. Ancients. Never mind.:D

No, if the seeder ships knew this place was bad, it would make it much more obvious to enter it into the data, so Destiny could avoid it. You don't intentionally leave information out, if you know that information will save the ship.

nx01a
April 19th, 2010, 02:07 AM
No, if the seeder ships knew this place was bad, it would make it much more obvious to enter it into the data, so Destiny could avoid it. You don't intentionally leave information out, if you know that information will save the ship.Exactly. Which leads us back to... "God[-like aliens] made this planet for us." :o

Sami_
April 19th, 2010, 02:34 AM
No, if the seeder ships knew this place was bad, it would make it much more obvious to enter it into the data, so Destiny could avoid it. You don't intentionally leave information out, if you know that information will save the ship.

Remember the seeder ship was automated so there is no reason to believe it could make any decision like that and even if there was some AI who could, for all it knows its relaying information to ancients who are millions of years advanced at this point and not some primative race who happened to gate aboard.

If we pretend for a second that the planet and sun were there when the seeder ship passed by the most plausible sci-fi type reason that it didn't scan or send the information to Destiny would be that the obelisk creators didn't want it to - perhaps the obelisk itself contained some technology to block it.

That said, I don't think it is going to play out anything like that, I just think these seemingly contradictions in the plot are just down to poor writing and that they did the best they could to get the planet creation explanation across to the audience.

kirmit
April 19th, 2010, 02:34 AM
Well we already know that their conclusion on that front is wrong, they say the star is 100-200 million years old and we know the seeder ship passed by long after that so there has to be some other reason that the seeder ship didn't scan it other than the fact that it wasn't there.

A star similar to that one should be that old but as the seeder ships didnt know of its existance and the age of the planet the sgu crew came to the conclusion the sun must of been artificially created to simulate a star of that age.

Sami_
April 19th, 2010, 02:46 AM
A star similar to that one should be that old but as the seeder ships didnt know of its existance and the age of the planet the sgu crew came to the conclusion the sun must of been artificially created to simulate a star of that age.

Well if your looking at a star that your readings say is 100-200 million years old and there is a planet that looks older why would that indicate the star or the planet iis artificially created? my first thoughts would be terraforming and my second thought would be that the star was changed in some way whether it be naturally or artificially.

The Ashen could alter stars and I'm sure to an outside observer it would be difficult to accurately determine the stars original age after the alterations made by the Ashen.

pipi
April 19th, 2010, 04:32 AM
Well if your looking at a star that your readings say is 100-200 million years old and there is a planet that looks older why would that indicate the star or the planet iis artificially created? .

Just to clear up some astrophysical concepts on the SGU's deduction that the star and planet could not exist naturally in their current form, if you don't already know, is that a solar system is formed from a big cloud of gas; the star then pulls the remaining gas into orbit; then all the gas in each orbital ring collide together to makes planets. And this process apparently takes a long time, so if this were to naturally occur, the scientist deduced that the planet should only be a ball of molten rock (at the 200million timeline) which would make terraforming impossible since the entire planet is still unstable larva and needs several 100s of million years to cool. And since it's larva there will be no water or bateria for life which must be introduced after the planet has cooled.

Source: The Universe TV show, if memory serves me right.

This is just to answer your question. It is only a logical deduction from current astrophsyics theory so you can't fault the guy who said it.

Mike.
April 19th, 2010, 05:50 AM
pipi is correct. Also a star system can't just me made out of one star and a single Earth like planet. When solar systems form there's a lot of matter left over, there should have been at least one gas giant and a few other rocky planets + asteroids. So the configuration was certainly artificial. Even if the planet and sun were not made completely from scratch they would have to have been brought there.

thekillman
April 19th, 2010, 06:04 AM
actually it's possible for a star system to have just enough gas left for one planet, while the rest becomes the star. well, you'd have comets and asteroids etc.

anyway, the Kiwi pretty much gave away that it was artificial AND built for them

Sami_
April 19th, 2010, 07:31 AM
Just to clear up some astrophysical concepts on the SGU's deduction that the star and planet could not exist naturally in their current form, if you don't already know, is that a solar system is formed from a big cloud of gas; the star then pulls the remaining gas into orbit; then all the gas in each orbital ring collide together to makes planets. And this process apparently takes a long time, so if this were to naturally occur, the scientist deduced that the planet should only be a ball of molten rock (at the 200million timeline) which would make terraforming impossible since the entire planet is still unstable larva and needs several 100s of million years to cool. And since it's larva there will be no water or bateria for life which must be introduced after the planet has cooled.

Source: The Universe TV show, if memory serves me right.

This is just to answer your question. It is only a logical deduction from current astrophsyics theory so you can't fault the guy who said it.

So if I understand you correctly, terraforming a planet from a molten rock is not possible but creating a star then creating a planet is? :)

I don't see how you can dismiss the former if you want to accept the latter as logical :P

Mike.
April 19th, 2010, 07:41 AM
The point was that there was 0 chance for that solar system to be natural.
Both that it's wasn't there recently when the seeder ships passed, AND that it doesn't conform to the solar system formation timeline.

thekillman
April 19th, 2010, 08:07 AM
just toss comets on the molten ball of lava untill it's cold enough.

but anyway, hyperspacing asteroids to the right point should allow a planet to be made without becoming a humongous fireball

Commander Zelix
April 19th, 2010, 09:39 AM
Its sad, but I think our people just got caught in the mouse trap of some carnivorous space faring aliens.

Imagine you're a mouse or fish and you see a perfect slice of cheese up there on the floor or some nice dead fly floating around in water. You must know its too good to be true, right?

I think the same just happened to the Destiny crew. A nice solar system with a perfect planet just floating up there to be visited or colonize. It's a trap!!!

The moment our little "mice" get on the planet. The detector emit a signal to our carnivorous aliens, which have a little taste for oxygen-breathing-mammals. Maybe they got high value on the market.

:)

ThePlut
April 19th, 2010, 10:00 AM
Hope not. On about the late second or early third season, when we get control of navigation, we'll turn the ship around but only be able to follow the original flightpath. late third, or maybe early 4th season, it'll run the Destiny right by this system again, and across millions of other systems which the Destiny already visited once, and had an untold effect on...

Least that's what I'm hoping for...

The planet and its builders?
Perhaps the first of many races and technologies in SGU to never be heard from again... :(

Daro
April 19th, 2010, 12:23 PM
Its sad, but I think our people just got caught in the mouse trap of some carnivorous space faring aliens.

Imagine you're a mouse or fish and you see a perfect slice of cheese up there on the floor or some nice dead fly floating around in water. You must know its too good to be true, right?

I think the same just happened to the Destiny crew. A nice solar system with a perfect planet just floating up there to be visited or colonize. It's a trap!!!

The moment our little "mice" get on the planet. The detector emit a signal to our carnivorous aliens, which have a little taste for oxygen-breathing-mammals. Maybe they got high value on the market.

:)

I thought the same thing. When first watching the episode with my mom and brother, my brother yelled "It's a trap!" in his best Admiral Ackbar impression. I think he had the right idea.

Is it at all possible that some of the seeder ships went missing? I doubt the Ancients would have sent out just one in a certain direction (then again, redundancy hasn't proven their strong suite, has it?) but if so, could an alien race have come in contact with one and worked off the data in it to create this world? Maybe they even believe the Ancients are gods or something, and the construction of the planet was the ultimate expression of faith. Hoping to entice the 'gods' to return?

ArchaeoNerd
April 19th, 2010, 12:25 PM
The Magratheans...
...duh

Oh, my, and not a single one of those campers had their towel.... the Vogons will get them for sure.

ArchaeoNerd
April 19th, 2010, 12:32 PM

Hey, maybe the Pak built it.

ArchaeoNerd
April 19th, 2010, 12:38 PM
For all we know the obelisk could be some form of Dakara weapon or something like that which helps speed up evolution. It could serve similar to the monolith in 2001: A Space Odyssey. They said the star was young, and the planet is expected to be filled with molten lava. The aliens that created the planet could simply have implanted the obelisk to prepare for colonization, and the obelisk itself is like a form of seeder.

The Genesis Device!!!!

garhkal
April 19th, 2010, 03:28 PM
or did people forget about the ori, the goauld, and anyone else who claimed to be a god?

Oh, you mean ME:D
Now bow down and pray you meesly worm!:cool:

Just because people have posed as gods who is to say thier isn't one out there? At least that would be Caine's defense

Prob there is how would we know there IS one?

There are much more plausible reasons than someone created a star and a planet.

Like what?
In the ep, we see rush, young, eli and some others discussing the planet and the sun and how there is no way it could be there naturally.

Unamed
April 19th, 2010, 03:44 PM
its pretty obvious that tptb set this up as a planet created by an alien race more/just as advanced than the ancients after all it was hinted at that this could quite possibly be the most advanced beings ever..

the fifth man
April 19th, 2010, 06:35 PM
its pretty obvious that tptb set this up as a planet created by an alien race more/just as advanced than the ancients after all it was hinted at that this could quite possibly be the most advanced beings ever..

Yep, a race more powerful than even the Ancients were.

Pharaoh Atem
April 19th, 2010, 06:39 PM
Yep, a race more powerful than even the Ancients were.

the ori? ;)

nx01a
April 19th, 2010, 06:41 PM
Now now, Atem. :D

It would be interesting if a race has taken the Ancients' terraforming to the next level and actually creates planets that look like Vancouver.

skarwolf
April 19th, 2010, 07:07 PM
I'm wondering if perhaps this planet wasn't created at all. Maybe the Destiny is moving through TIME & space, and this was an earlier time. Something with the credits for the next episode where Rush says "its already happened," leads me to believe it will involve time dilation/travelling.

nx01a
April 19th, 2010, 07:18 PM
Spoilers. Ahem. ;)

And even travelling through tim doesn't explain the planet being too 'old' for the 'young' sun.

wingsabre
April 19th, 2010, 07:24 PM
Remember the seeder ship was automated so there is no reason to believe it could make any decision like that and even if there was some AI who could, for all it knows its relaying information to ancients who are millions of years advanced at this point and not some primative race who happened to gate aboard.

If we pretend for a second that the planet and sun were there when the seeder ship passed by the most plausible sci-fi type reason that it didn't scan or send the information to Destiny would be that the obelisk creators didn't want it to - perhaps the obelisk itself contained some technology to block it.

That said, I don't think it is going to play out anything like that, I just think these seemingly contradictions in the plot are just down to poor writing and that they did the best they could to get the planet creation explanation across to the audience.

I disagree. The seeder ship should have an AI, just like Destiny has and AI. Otherwise, the seeder ships would not know where or how to seed gates.

wingsabre
April 19th, 2010, 07:26 PM
The Genesis Device!!!!

Minus the whole death and destruction thing...

dou
April 19th, 2010, 07:36 PM
Question: of all the possible planets one can create (i.e. the gas giant Jupiter or a drawf planet Pluto) why create a planet identical to Earth in a solar system identical to the Milky Way, with a central orbited star? Yes the planet is identical to Earth, with an atmosphere (even though there wasn’t a “sonic boom” when Young entered the atmosphere), “Earthlike” fauna & flora present, i.e. the kiwi fruit (BTW flora can not exist without the presence of fauna). This must bring the theory to mind that whoever created this system has visited the Milky Way before!
So it is definitely not the alien being, determined to destroy Destiny… Cause Rush said so (if it were in their means to create a system, would they not have though of a more advance method of breaching the Destiny defenses...They have, from what we know, never been to the Milky Way

It could be the Ancients/Ascended Ones… Someone made references to the monolith from “Space Odyssey”… Interesting…However, I am not staking my life on this, but there is a race out there, possibly greater than the Ascended ones, that are capable of intergalactic travel. Whatever the case it certainly is providing a real mystery…

Say, was it ever revealed why the Ancients abandoned the “Destiny project”?

nx01a
April 19th, 2010, 10:55 PM
They got busy researching ascension and then ascending, or with a plague and dying, or fighting the Wraith and dying, or fleeing to Earth and their civilization dying. They had other more pressing issues to attend to.

ngewakl
April 20th, 2010, 12:32 AM

I did, just in another thread! sorry!

pipi
April 20th, 2010, 04:10 AM
just toss comets on the molten ball of lava untill it's cold enough.

but anyway, hyperspacing asteroids to the right point should allow a planet to be made without becoming a humongous fireball

From current planet forming theory it has to start as a big fireball to melt the materials down to their atoms so that the Iron sinks into the center to form the core. And I'm no expert, so when the SGU reference was made regarding a ball of molten rock, I don't know if the core has been form yet or not. If the core has not been formed yet then it needs to stay hot to be able to form.

But yeah, pulling in comets and astroids to cool the planet surface or layer on materials for life is pretty smart. Anyway an Earth like planet is a fluke of nature. Being placed in the green zone, the size/gravity, the pivot (for seasons) is really a fluke of nature. Aliens probably meddled with our own Earth. A whole different debate.

skarwolf
April 20th, 2010, 04:21 AM
They'll probably never explain it. Have they explained any of the other oddities ? Nope.

Mr.Xcelent
April 21st, 2010, 11:42 AM
It would be funny if the Planet was an experiment, and the reason the obelisk activated was because they tampered with said experiment. And the aliens where being informed about the sudden arrival of unwanted visitors.

Krisz
April 21st, 2010, 12:59 PM
It would be funny if the Planet was an experiment, and the reason the obelisk activated was because they tampered with said experiment. And the aliens where being informed about the sudden arrival of unwanted visitors.

I can' t help but think at this rate, by the end of this season of SGU there will be a whole array of different aliens chasing the Destiny to get the people who unwittingly did something to upset them.

Interesting to think that these aliens may think of the humans as a 'contaminant' that will have to be destroyed for fear of further contamination elsewhere.

gravityStar
April 21st, 2010, 03:36 PM
I am appalled at the level of speculation in this thread. You, all of you, your sci-fi credentials are revoked. Turn in your badge at the exit. :D

Anyway, the first thing you need to do is read Arthur C. Clarcke's 1951's short-story: "The sentinel". It's only six pages, but foreshadows the purpose of the obelisk on the planet, why the planet + sun are there and why the obelisk started transmitting a signal. If we follow its storyline and apply it to SGU, the obelisk, the planet and its sun is a beacon. A beacon that has silently waited for the arrival of the ancients/ancient ship, and that has now alerted its builders with the message "they are here".

Gollumpus
April 21st, 2010, 06:53 PM
Anyway, the first thing you need to do is read Arthur C. Clarcke's 1951's short-story: "The sentinel". It's only six pages, but foreshadows the purpose of the obelisk on the planet, why the planet + sun are there and why the obelisk started transmitting a signal. If we follow its storyline and apply it to SGU, the obelisk, the planet and its sun is a beacon. A beacon that has silently waited for the arrival of the ancients/ancient ship, and that has now alerted its builders with the message "they are here".

I'm starting to have issues about this obelisk and what is its supposed purpose. In the Clarke story, the obelisk is placed in a specific location to alert an alien race that humans have arrived at that point. Of course, the story also supposes that humans would: a.) bother to go to the moon and not just expand past it; b.) not treat the obelisk with some kind of supernatural dread and therefore avoid it; or c.) investigate the obelisk enough to trigger the device's shut-down. Small chances of course, but still possible in cultural development.

I do not see the obelisk in SGU as having anything to do with Destiny or the Ancients. Let's assume that this beacon is there to alert "The Builders" that another race has found the planet. Further, let's assume that it is there to specifically alert them that the Destiny has arrived and folks from its crew are on the planet.

If we are to believe this then, we are talking about a species who will create a star system out in the middle of nowhere (moved or made is irrelevant), smack dab in the middle of Destiny's flight path, of which they would have to know something about in order to put the darn star/planet in the right place, rather than send a ship, a probe, a message in a bottle in the reverse direction of its course from the point where they cobbled together their little star system. (whew! Long sentence there.) Their presence would be noted by Destiny, and at a lot less effort.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Builder One: "Hey Joe, we've studied that seeder ship thingee which came through here last week and the data banks in it say there's going to be another ship coming along the same course in a couple of hundred million years, which may (or may not) have people on it. Think we should we send them a probe to alert them to come talk to us when they get here? Or we could take that new shuttle for a spin. We could reach this Pegasus Galaxy place before they even reach it."

Builder Two: "Why should we do that?"

Builder One: "Well, we could make contact with them a few hundred million years earlier than it would take for them to actually get here..."

Builder Two: "Nah, sending a probe seems like too much work, and that shuttle still has some bugs we need to work out. Let's just build a small star system in the middle of their path. That will get their attention."

Builder One: "Yeah, that would be easier. What kind of message system should we leave 'em?"

Builder Two: "Not sure. They seem kinda' backwards compared to us."

Builder One: "I know! Let's screw around with 'em. We'll leave an enigmatic obelisk with a bunch of nonsense characters on it. They'll spend days trying to figure out what it means."

Builder Two: "Great idea! Hey, do you think we should put in that random beamer add-on we used at the last office party? That'll just mess them up lots."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The above seems a bit far-fetched. I don't see how this planet can have anything to do with Destiny. I think they just stumbled on to something which may be re-visited in future episodes. I would agree that the beam is likely some sort of alert, but what does it alert the builder to is anyone's guess at the moment.

regards,
G.

pipi
April 22nd, 2010, 04:55 AM
I am appalled at the level of speculation in this thread. You, all of you, your sci-fi credentials are revoked. Turn in your badge at the exit. :D

That's assuming people from Destiny flew to the obilisk, and it just so happen the planet rotation was pointing in that direction, and there were people on Destiny in the first place. If the Icarus evacuation occurred like a month later they could have gated onto Destiny after episode Faith and never even encounted the obilisk. Considering how long Destiny has travelled, it's like winning lotto that Destiny flew past that solar system with people onboard.

Sami_
April 22nd, 2010, 05:48 AM
Anyway an Earth like planet is a fluke of nature. Being placed in the green zone, the size/gravity, the pivot (for seasons) is really a fluke of nature. Aliens probably meddled with our own Earth. A whole different debate.

So many people go with this line of reasoning when trying to convince others of divine/alien intervention to explain the earths creation. The simple truth is that if the earth wasn't in the green zone, if it had a different size/gravity/pivot then life would have evolved completely differently.

The conditions needed for life as we know it are rare but I'd hardly call it a fluke of nature.

thekillman
April 22nd, 2010, 06:26 AM
if our planet wasnt this way we wouldn't be around to observe that.

From current planet forming theory it has to start as a big fireball to melt the materials down to their atoms so that the Iron sinks into the center to form the core. And I'm no expert, so when the SGU reference was made regarding a ball of molten rock, I don't know if the core has been form yet or not. If the core has not been formed yet then it needs to stay hot to be able to form.

But yeah, pulling in comets and astroids to cool the planet surface or layer on materials for life is pretty smart. Anyway an Earth like planet is a fluke of nature. Being placed in the green zone, the size/gravity, the pivot (for seasons) is really a fluke of nature. Aliens probably meddled with our own Earth. A whole different debate.

earth's core is still largely molten. and besides, our planet was entirely molten, which means it was several thousand degrees here. if you want a useful planet, you'd want the inner and outer core to be liquid resp. solid, then you'd need a mantle and a crust. but you don't need a fully molten planet for a core to form, and besides, if the aliens wanted to make one fast, they'd hyperspace the heaviest asteroids into place first.

kymeric
April 26th, 2010, 04:27 PM

11 people isnt enough for a gene pool. They would be all retarded within 3 generations, then dead from awful cancers with 4-6 generations.

ukguy30
June 6th, 2010, 05:40 AM
well guys come on all this speculation's and none of u have evan come close to a good specultion apart from one or two first the anceint did not have the technology to create planets stars and the nox have not left the milky way, there are only two possablieitys.
one the asgard would have the power but for the last 30,000 years they've focused all there knowlege on the cloning problems, the ancients died out/ acended , the nox still live simple.

however it is poss that the furlings (who have not yet been seen) may have built it if u think about it they meet the ancients and became one of the four races then they all split up and whent different paths.

could the furlings have done what the ancients did and traveled to other galaxies (it is the logical thing once humans have mapped the milky way we will then go on to to the rest of the 30 galaxies in the local cluster) so the furlings could have gone to that galaxy after the gate seeding ships left and made the planet and star.

Now the only other possability is a new Race far older and more powerfull (and not the aliens u've seen already in SGU) these aliens would have a great respect for our team but veiw them like the asgard veiwed humans originally.

now my ideas do have a good sound base