PDA

View Full Version : TJ's Decision and what I think of it

Shpinxinator
April 16th, 2010, 09:48 PM
Don't get me wrong I understand her position....but she is the closest thing they have to a medical doctor!

DigiFluid
April 16th, 2010, 09:49 PM
Priorities. She has every right to be worrying about her own offspring first and foremost.

Pharaoh Atem
April 16th, 2010, 09:50 PM
Priorities. She has every right to be worrying about her own offspring first and foremost.

but she stands a better chance on destiny then the random alien planet

s09119
April 16th, 2010, 09:50 PM
Don't get me wrong I understand her position....but she is the closest thing they have to a medical doctor!

To be fair, they have the stones and can call in more qualified doctors from Earth if need be.

Replicator Todd
April 16th, 2010, 09:51 PM
Eh, it didn't bother me, she is thinking of not just herself but her unborn child. Which is likely to be important to her.

Shpinxinator
April 16th, 2010, 09:51 PM

Fair enough but she'd be dooming everyone else on the ship...thats no way to bring child into the world

jelgate
April 16th, 2010, 09:52 PM
but she stands a better chance on destiny then the random alien planet

Does she? Destiny keeps on breaking down

dacooker
I'm sorry to say, she's very hormonal atm being pregnant and all. Any sense of logical thought goes out the window.

The Shrike
A mothers need to protect her child outweighs all other considerations. That's one force of nature even the ancients couldn't overcome.

Pharaoh Atem
Fair enough but she'd be dooming everyone else on the ship...thats no way to bring child into the world

what's so bad about destiny. the ships got supplies, power the crew is slowly repairing the ship.

Shpinxinator
April 16th, 2010, 09:53 PM

Maybe but there aren't the dangers a wild planet has....extreme weather, Predators, any other number of unseen dangers

Shpinxinator
April 16th, 2010, 09:54 PM
what's so bad about destiny. the ships got supplies, power the crew is slowly repairing the ship.

but if the ships only docotr isn't there that could be very bad

Pharaoh Atem
April 16th, 2010, 09:54 PM

i don't remember it stopping due to problems...... just damage from the smurf attacks

Daro
April 16th, 2010, 09:56 PM
It may be selfish in a sense for her to want to stay, but that kind of selfishness is programmed into us for a reason. A mother's first priority is to seek out a safe place to have and raise her child. TJ believed the best place to do that was the planet, because at least there she can get the proper food needed for the baby to be born healthy and to have a chance at growing up. Honestly, whether or not the baby would come to term if the planet had not provided her with the nutrition she needed is debatable. Hopefully there are enough food stores now to let her continue to get the essentials while she's pregnant.

The Swarm
April 17th, 2010, 02:14 AM
No, i cant blame her, i would do the same for my child...however all alone on an alien planet, how would she survive?

reddevil18
April 17th, 2010, 03:04 AM
No, i cant blame her, i would do the same for my child...however all alone on an alien planet, how would she survive?Well, she wouldn't be all alone. There were almost a dozen people. I think Scott said 11. He, TJ and Chloe came back in the end, so that still leaves 8 that stayed behind. Though that might not be accurate, since they didn't exactly spell it out who stayed, aside from Caine.

reddevil18
April 17th, 2010, 03:05 AM
This whole thing would just make it even better if she indeed miscarried. That would make me like Faith.

Ser Scot A Ellison
April 17th, 2010, 03:22 AM
Daro,

It may be selfish in a sense for her to want to stay, but that kind of selfishness is programmed into us for a reason. A mother's first priority is to seek out a safe place to have and raise her child. TJ believed the best place to do that was the planet, because at least there she can get the proper food needed for the baby to be born healthy and to have a chance at growing up. Honestly, whether or not the baby would come to term if the planet had not provided her with the nutrition she needed is debatable. Hopefully there are enough food stores now to let her continue to get the essentials while she's pregnant.

I agree with you. I don't call prioritizing your children selfishness. The ship is a lifeline to Earth but a tenuous one at best. Caine's overweening faith was a tad much. I would have wanted to stay but I doubt I would have. In TJ's circumstance I can certianly understand her desire. The planet, by itself could give her the necessary materials to survive. I doubt that's the last we've heard of those who chose to stay.

Blackhole
April 17th, 2010, 03:39 AM
Daro,

I agree with you. I don't call prioritizing your children selfishness. The ship is a lifeline to Earth but a tenuous one at best. Caine's overweening faith was a tad much. I would have wanted to stay but I doubt I would have. In TJ's circumstance I can certianly understand her desire. The planet, by itself could give her the necessary materials to survive. I doubt that's the last we've heard of those who chose to stay.

The show will probably expand on what the Obelisk is, why did it signal and what race made it? Maybe it will find some way for those that stayed to contact Destiny?

MattSilver 3k
April 17th, 2010, 03:43 AM
This whole thing would just make it even better if she indeed miscarried. That would make me like Faith.

I say wait a few episodes. It'll make Faith kinda hard to rewatch - I anticipate cringing if the miscarriage occurs.

Billz
April 17th, 2010, 04:10 AM
It would have been completely idiotic if she had stayed on the planet. Firstly, she is the closest one to being a medical pro, but I very much doubt that she or any of the other people willing to stay, would have been able to deliver her own baby! She gets points for bad parenting even before the baby is born! That has to be some kind of official record somewhere. :p

But than, does pregnancy with only 15 weeks in actually make women stupid? I'd liked to see anyone try and give a good answer. :D

reddevil18
April 17th, 2010, 04:13 AM
I say wait a few episodes. It'll make Faith kinda hard to rewatch - I anticipate cringing if the miscarriage occurs.
I already find Faith hard to rewatch.

MattSilver 3k
April 17th, 2010, 04:14 AM
I already find Faith hard to rewatch.

Saw that coming. Oh my gods.

I'm psychic.

reddevil18
April 17th, 2010, 04:15 AM
Saw that coming. Oh my gods.

I'm psychic.Yes. ESPN.

Billz
April 17th, 2010, 04:16 AM
Yes. ESPN.

I lol'd. :D

reddevil18
April 17th, 2010, 04:20 AM
I lol'd. :DThen you are easily amused. :p

Billz
April 17th, 2010, 04:23 AM
Then you are easily amused. :p

When I don't have much else going for me in life, I have to take anything I can get, even if it was a really awful joke on a second viewing. :D

reddevil18
April 17th, 2010, 04:25 AM
When I don't have much else going for me in life, I have to take anything I can get, even if it was a really awful joke on a second viewing. :DHear that.

J-Whitt Remastered
April 17th, 2010, 04:58 AM

The planet could also have made her sick with bacteria, viruses, animal bite venom, etc. that she has <i>absolutely</i> no idea how to cure. What would become of the child then? It's the smarter choice to stay on the ship. The people who chose to stay behind chose to do so because they found a beautiful planet. I'm sure they had their minds made up before they went down to the surface. They were just looking for an excuse to give up and stay somewhere nicer. The alien obelisk gave them just that excuse.

Off Topic: How was it determined who would go to the planet? $50 says that most of the people who went down will go down to the next planet they have a chance to visit. Not everyone will get a chance to see much land. Especially Eli and Rush.

The Shrike
April 17th, 2010, 07:12 AM
This whole thing would just make it even better if she indeed miscarried. That would make me like Faith.I'm bracing for it, poor TJ if it's true.

The Swarm
April 17th, 2010, 07:19 AM
That will never happen becouse i can bet you anything that the child will become some sort of psychic prodigy plot device from season 3 onward....( *cough* SGA *cough*)

mere earthling
April 17th, 2010, 09:57 AM
I can see her wanting to stay- the she's clearly overwhelmed at this point. The "job" means nothing to her right now, it's HER baby she needs to protect now.

I think she will either lose the baby or it will get taken-I'm such a fatalist.

aretood2
April 17th, 2010, 10:06 AM

Um that will be kind of hard to pull of since the actress...um....had buns in the oven when they were filming the second half of the episode....

MattSilver 3k
April 17th, 2010, 10:13 AM
Um that will be kind of hard to pull of since the actress...um....had buns in the oven when they were filming the second half of the episode....

Huh? While RedDevil meant that she should've miscarried in Faith, I've thinking it will happen later. It's not like it's hard to fake a miscarriage. That's why I think it'll happen later - Alaina's long since given birth, so maybe she'll go all miscarriage-y at the start of Season 2/end of season 1. For example, TJ loses the baby at the end of this season (Alaina being pregnant at the time of filming) and then when we get back, neither character nor actress are pregnant.

Ipso facto, easy fake miscarriage.

That is, you know, if it happens. I personally am putting big money behind it, but if it doesn't happen, it doesn't happen.

The Shrike
April 17th, 2010, 10:14 AM
I can see her wanting to stay- the she's clearly overwhelmed at this point. The "job" means nothing to her right now, it's HER baby she needs to protect now.

I think she will either lose the baby or it will get taken-I'm such a fatalist.By the blue aliens for unknown purposes perhaps.

aretood2
April 17th, 2010, 10:14 AM
Huh? While RedDevil meant that she should've miscarried in Faith, I've thinking it will happen later. It's not like it's hard to fake a miscarriage. That's why I think it'll happen later - Alaina's long since given birth, so maybe she'll go all miscarriage-y at the start of Season 2/end of season 1. For example, TJ loses the baby at the end of this season (Alaina being pregnant at the time of filming) and then when we get back, neither character nor actress are pregnant.

Ipso facto, easy fake miscarriage.

That is, you know, if it happens. I personally am putting big money behind it, but if it doesn't happen, it doesn't happen.

Didn't they finish filming before she gave birth?

SGFerrit
April 17th, 2010, 10:17 AM
I think...

TJ will get shot or something during the finale :( I don't think it will be a natural miscarriage, but I do think it will happen somehow, and that is what Brian and the others found so shocking and sad about the finale.

MattSilver 3k
April 17th, 2010, 10:18 AM
Didn't they finish filming before she gave birth?

Again, it's not like they can't fake it. For example, let's just say that in Episode 20 this season: the character gets shot right in the stomach. The filming ends. We come back to season 2, Alaina's given birth already, so TJ's back to non-pregnant.

The Shrike
April 17th, 2010, 10:20 AM
I think...

TJ will get shot or something during the finale :( I don't think it will be a natural miscarriage, but I do think it will happen somehow, and that is what Brian and the others found so shocking and sad about the finale.It could happen during the scuffle when the LA arrives.

Mike.
April 17th, 2010, 10:33 AM
I think...

TJ will get shot or something during the finale :( I don't think it will be a natural miscarriage, but I do think it will happen somehow, and that is what Brian and the others found so shocking and sad about the finale.

Wait, all the miscarriage talk is based on "shocking" and "sad" with no actual spoilers ? It doesn't have to go down this route, they could show her raising her baby in S2, struggling to properly care for him/her with limited resources while still fulfilling her military duties and being the only doctor on the ship. I imagine at least an episode dedicated to her giving birth while being stuck somewhere with on one person to help her (the one the writers think deserves more character development), and the aftermath of Young trying (awkwardly) to be a father and make peace with TJ. It *screams* SGU. I don't think the writers would pass up all this potential drama just for a sad single "miscarriage" episode. I certainly hope not. :o

Note: just because she already gave birth IRL doesn't mean that they immediately have to put it into the show, remember it's much easier to fake a pregnancy on tv than to hide a real one.

MattSilver 3k
April 17th, 2010, 10:38 AM
Wait, all the miscarriage talk is based on "shocking" and "sad" with no actual spoilers ? It doesn't have to go down this route, they could show her raising her baby in S2, struggling to properly care for him/her with limited resources while still fulfilling her military duties and being the only doctor on the ship. I imagine at least an episode dedicated to her giving birth while being stuck somewhere with on one person to help her (the one the writers think deserves more character development), and the aftermath of Young trying (awkwardly) to be a father and make peace with TJ. It *screams* SGU. I don't think the writers would pass up all this potential drama just for a sad single "miscarriage" episode. I certainly hope not. :o

Note: just because she already gave birth IRL doesn't mean that they immediately have to put it into the show, remember it's much easier to fake a pregnancy on tv than to hide a real one.

Well I'd guess that Alaina's pregnancy was a surprise, so they wrote the storyline to accommodate her for the back half of the season. I doubt that the writers of SG1 and SGA want to do another baby storyline, so why not do the dark and gritty thing and kill the little thing. It'd do wonders for the character development. Instant Drama Just Add Miscarriage.

My only "proof" is a whiteboard picture posted by Joe Mallozzi about the season finale having the "death of T.C.". Combine that with what I noted above, Brian J. Smith's comments, and that T.C. starts to look like "Tamara's Child"

And I'd wager that it'd be less of a miscarriage episode then a gunshot abortion in the season finale.

kymeric
April 17th, 2010, 10:41 AM
That she soo quickly walked over to Young when ordered to told me she was just scared and being hormonal. She dosent know her place with him and this kid, but when forced to make a decision she walked right to him. Thats good stuff!

garhkal
April 17th, 2010, 11:16 AM
Whle i do understand that women pregnant are not rational thinkers, i do feel that she made the wrong decision as a mil officer.

reddevil18
April 17th, 2010, 11:41 AM
i do feel that she made the wrong decision as a mil officer.Yeah...Back when she repeatedly slept with Young.

Daro
April 17th, 2010, 11:46 AM
I'm slightly sickened at everyone who wants TJ's baby to be miscarried. Honestly, I'd be pissed if that happened. It would be just too much of a soap opera thing to do - like BSG or something.

However, I am kinda dreading the whole baby storyline, as I'm sure the writers will toy with us and so put TJ through at least one, and probably more, situations where the baby is in danger.

reddevil18
April 17th, 2010, 11:49 AM
I'm slightly sickened at everyone who wants TJ's baby to be miscarried. Honestly, I'd be pissed if that happened. It would be just too much of a soap opera thing to do - like BSG or something.
No, BSG actually HAD babies. More than one. So it'd be totally un-BSG-like.
I really hope they have her miscarry. It'd be far better than killing one of the main characters.

Daro
April 17th, 2010, 11:55 AM
No, BSG actually HAD babies. More than one. So it'd be totally un-BSG-like.
I really hope they have her miscarry. It'd be far better than killing one of the main characters.

I don't really want to go on an off-topic debate, but I will say that Yes, there was a miscarriage. Caprica six lost her baby, the one she had with Saul. And besides that, Sharron nearly lost hers about every other episode.

Who says they have to kill one of the main characters instead? I am sure they will, at some point, kill off a character or two. Let's hope it isn't any of the core characters.

reddevil18
April 17th, 2010, 11:59 AM
I don't really want to go on an off-topic debate, but I will say that Yes, there was a miscarriage. Caprica six lost her baby, the one she had with Saul. And besides that, Sharron nearly lost hers about every other episode.

Who says they have to kill one of the main characters instead? I am sure they will, at some point, kill off a character or two. Let's hope it isn't any of the core characters.That miscarriage came late into the show, after Adam and Eve were born and all that crap.

And they have to kill someone. It's...TENSION! No, but seriously, they have to kill someone off. For a show predicating to be darker and more serious, it's annoying how, at the end of pretty much each episode, we're back to the status quo. Sure, there are things that impact the overall story, but there's very little that has actually had a huge impact so far. Hell, the people lost along the way were inconsequential. Killing an established character is always more significant.

aretood2
April 17th, 2010, 12:04 PM
Again, it's not like they can't fake it. For example, let's just say that in Episode 20 this season: the character gets shot right in the stomach. The filming ends. We come back to season 2, Alaina's given birth already, so TJ's back to non-pregnant.

Now I get it, I just wasn't sure what you meant.

capricaabydos
April 17th, 2010, 12:14 PM
I think she's better off on board the destiny, than in an alien planet full of unknown dangers, and I think the baby's father has a right to know, that he's going to be a father, n I'm not sure I could be really wrong but I'm assuming Young is the father of T.J's unborn child!!!!

reddevil18
April 17th, 2010, 12:21 PM
I could be really wrong but I'm assuming Young is the father of T.J's unborn child!!!!You think? That'd be a shocker!

Avenger
April 17th, 2010, 12:37 PM
Eh, it didn't bother me, she is thinking of not just herself but her unborn child. Which is likely to be important to her.

Especially in the short term. A mother's desire to protect child is going to be very strong, even if it leads to less than the most logical decisions.

SGFerrit
April 17th, 2010, 01:41 PM
I didn't really get the whole Caprica Six/baby thing, it just seemed like a way to keep her occupied until the finale.

With TJ, despite them being pretty much forced into this storyline...

I can see it being much more powerful if she does miscarry, and have a far greater effect on people.

reddevil18
April 17th, 2010, 01:43 PM
I didn't really get the whole Caprica Six/baby thing, it just seemed like a way to keep her occupied until the finale.
That's because that's what they were doing with every character from mid-season 3 onward.

LoneStar1836
April 17th, 2010, 04:26 PM
I think she's better off on board the destiny, than in an alien planet full of unknown dangers, and I think the baby's father has a right to know, that he's going to be a father, n I'm not sure I could be really wrong but I'm assuming Young is the father of T.J's unborn child!!!!Agreed.

As much as I like TJ, it's Young's child as well and he certainly has a right to know and a right to help decide for its welfare.

I thought TJ was being a bit irrational by wanting to stay. Imo, staying on that planet would be worse than staying on Destiny. They are both a gamble to survival, but only the Destiny provides the hope of returning home. I think she liked the thought of staying on the planet, but when Young showed up, thankfully reality kicked in.

As to all the spoiler talk.....

I've generally avoided seeking out spoilers, but obviously if one reads this board, you are bound to pick them up. I knew AH's pregnancy was going to play into the show eventually so I knew that was what TJ's problem was a soon she started looking sick in this ep, but I agree with those that think the miscarriage no matter how it happens (though by gunshot certainly brings the drama) is actually better for the show than having an actual child on the show. I see that it's not a certainty but I bet that's where they go. Yeah that will certainly be sad, but I'm all for it. I don't need happy, shinny Stargate. I'd rather have that particular drama and how it will affect the characters involved, than the drama of a baby on the show.

aretood2
April 17th, 2010, 04:29 PM
Is it me or did she seem afraid of confronting Young at all? Maybe that's why she wanted to stay behind.

Pharaoh Atem
April 17th, 2010, 04:31 PM
Is it me or did she seem afraid of confronting Young at all? Maybe that's why she wanted to stay behind.

oh by the way i'm pregnant with your child and i've known for almost 15 weeks now

carmencatalina
April 17th, 2010, 04:39 PM
oh by the way i'm pregnant with your child and i've known for almost 15 weeks now

Well, given that a lot of pregnancies don't last past the first trimester, and she was in pretty extreme situations, she may have wanted to wait. Doctors always tell you not to tell people before 12 weeks - obviously, you would generally tell the father, but here they aren't together, he is trying to get back with his wife, and she doesn't know what his reaction would be. If there is a chance of an early miscarriage, you might as well wait.

Ser Scot A Ellison
April 17th, 2010, 04:59 PM
I'm quite curious to see what Young does when he finds out. He's obviously having a very difficult time with his wife. He'd told her everything was over. It's interesting that TJ told Chole that she got pregnant right before they left. Wouldn't that imply Telford was right when he told Young's wife Young was still sleeping with TJ?

LoneStar1836
April 17th, 2010, 05:02 PM
Is it me or did she seem afraid of confronting Young at all? Maybe that's why she wanted to stay behind.Possibly, but I didn't get that impression.

Yeah, telling him is not going to be the easiest thing, but I hope that's not why she considered staying behind. I can understand her waiting as long as possible to tell him, but for her to make this huge decision to jump ship and decide for the both of them was irresponsible and wrong if she had actually gone through with it, imo. Though I think Scott would have (and should have) said something if it had come to that.

The Shrike
April 17th, 2010, 05:29 PM
I can't help but wonder how long the baby would survive if they got down to that green paste again.

yanna
April 17th, 2010, 10:45 PM
I hope the baby doesn't make it. It makes the most sense dramatically.

Phenom
April 17th, 2010, 11:09 PM
TJ made the right call in the end. Absolutely natural for her to question her life when she found out. Christ compared to what real pregnant women come up with to mystify men, she was quite tame I thought.

EllieVee
April 17th, 2010, 11:29 PM

I think it would be braver if she decided to abort.

pipi
April 18th, 2010, 03:38 AM
This thread is about TJ being selfish hey. Well good for her. More drama please.

talyn2k1
April 18th, 2010, 02:24 PM
I know that Alaina Huffman's RL pregnancy has probably put the producers in a bit of a bind, but from the second she started looking a little unwell I knew what it was going to be.
Couldn't they have just written/filmed around it rather than including it in the show? I can't stand babies in scifi, they always end up being a big deal pre-birth and are used to initiate the usual cliched scenes. Then after birth, they are completely absent until they need some excuse for the mother to not go on a mission or just for some cheap drama.

Babies=fail.

Ser Scot A Ellison
April 18th, 2010, 03:39 PM
Talyn,

The irony of your screen name and your attitude about "babies in SciFi" is absolutely priceless. Talyn was one of the best used SciFi pregnancies ever.

reddevil18
April 18th, 2010, 03:45 PM
Talyn,

The irony of your screen name and your attitude about "babies in SciFi" is absolutely priceless. Talyn was one of the best used SciFi pregnancies ever.It was also one of the most unconventional ones. The fact is that he's right - just look at how Teyla's spawn was handled. I really hope they kill it and before too long.

TheRandomOne
April 18th, 2010, 04:27 PM
Talyn,

The irony of your screen name and your attitude about "babies in SciFi" is absolutely priceless. Talyn was one of the best used SciFi pregnancies ever.

Two different shows & Stargate has shown that it does not do pregnancy stories good so better to end it before something silly happens. Lets bring Michael back randomly & he goes for TJ's kid

YEAH

hiro
April 18th, 2010, 05:16 PM
I'm sorry to say, she's very hormonal atm being pregnant and all. Any sense of logical thought goes out the window.

agree ! it's a very difficult situation and it's normal the think that the baby will rise surrounded by military women/men in tension and in a ship ( eventually ) with no trees , nature ... etc ( eventually )

aretood2
April 18th, 2010, 08:07 PM
Anyone else a bit put off by some of the "Kill it" comments here?

MattSilver 3k
April 18th, 2010, 08:17 PM
Anyone else a bit put off by some of the "Kill it" comments here?

Well I'm personally not hoping it dead, just thinking it'll happen.

Blistna
April 18th, 2010, 08:52 PM
Exactly. My wife would probably make the same choice. But she does not need to be on a planet made by aliens that might kill her, or worse, experiment on her and her baby. I am glad she didn't stay.

pipi
April 18th, 2010, 10:07 PM
Well I'm personally not hoping it dead, just thinking it'll happen.

Plenty of alien herbs and venom to eat with untested side effects :).

capricaabydos
April 19th, 2010, 07:18 AM
Well I'm glad she didn't stay in that alien planet, she made the right decision even though she might have been a little selfish in the beginning, but she was only looking out for her unborn child, but the father has a right to know so if Young is really the father of her child then he has a right to make decisions about it, but what if he's not the father and that's why she wanted to stay behind, she was so embarrassed, and that's why she was choosing to stay behind with the others so that she could deal with her pregnancy without the extra stress she would get from Young, I don't know I'm just talking crazy here cause I'm bored, Lol !!!!!!

capricaabydos
April 19th, 2010, 07:26 AM
You think? That'd be a shocker!
Hey, what if it turns out that Young is not the father, what if the father is some other random guy like Greer, or Telford!!!!!!!!!!!

General Jumper One
April 19th, 2010, 09:55 AM
Hey, what if it turns out that Young is not the father, what if the father is some other random guy like Greer, or Telford!!!!!!!!!!!

The random guy is Scott:o not:cool:

Daro
April 19th, 2010, 12:16 PM
Saying pregnancies don't have a place in sci-fi is kinda like those who say faith or philosophy or sex or relationships don't have a place. Pregnancies can and do happen in many sci-fi shows and books, and the reasons for them are not just dramatic. For one thing, as someone who writes science fiction, I usually intend to eventually kill off or retire a character after a few volumes, and it's an easy way to provide emotional investment in the new protagonist (or antagonist, whatever) if they are the son or daughter stepping up to take the old hero's place, v. a complete stranger. I doubt SGU will cover the kind of time span I'm talking here, but even if it doesn't, children of the characters provide more than dramatic objects of concern. If Young or TJ dies heroically in the future, you still have 'part of them' left behind in their son or daughter.

I find it ironic that most of the same people who whine about how pregnancy is a soap-opera choice in the show prefer even more personal drama in the form of the child being miscarried. Even better, with a gunshot. Sure, it solves the 'problem,' but isn't that a lot more 'soap opera-ish' than just having a normal pregnancy and popping out a kid?

Gollumpus
April 19th, 2010, 03:26 PM
agree ! it's a very difficult situation and it's normal the think that the baby will rise surrounded by military women/men in tension and in a ship ( eventually ) with no trees , nature ... etc ( eventually )

I'm reminded of a Gahan Wilson cartoon which could be Tj's and her child's future. It depicts a sterile urban environment. Also in the scene is a child, his mother and a rather sorry looking tree. The child is recoiling in terror at the sight of the tree. (Can't find the graphic on-line.)

The caption reads, "Don't be afraid dear, it's just a tree."

regards,
G.

Eternal Density
April 19th, 2010, 04:44 PM
I think she's better off on board the destiny, than in an alien planet full of unknown dangers, and I think the baby's father has a right to know, that he's going to be a father, n I'm not sure I could be really wrong but I'm assuming Young is the father of T.J's unborn child!!!!What? It can't be! I was so sure it was Daniel Jackson!!

aretood2
April 19th, 2010, 04:49 PM
Saying pregnancies don't have a place in sci-fi is kinda like those who say faith or philosophy or sex or relationships don't have a place. Pregnancies can and do happen in many sci-fi shows and books, and the reasons for them are not just dramatic. For one thing, as someone who writes science fiction, I usually intend to eventually kill off or retire a character after a few volumes, and it's an easy way to provide emotional investment in the new protagonist (or antagonist, whatever) if they are the son or daughter stepping up to take the old hero's place, v. a complete stranger. I doubt SGU will cover the kind of time span I'm talking here, but even if it doesn't, children of the characters provide more than dramatic objects of concern. If Young or TJ dies heroically in the future, you still have 'part of them' left behind in their son or daughter.

I find it ironic that most of the same people who whine about how pregnancy is a soap-opera choice in the show prefer even more personal drama in the form of the child being miscarried. Even better, with a gunshot. Sure, it solves the 'problem,' but isn't that a lot more 'soap opera-ish' than just having a normal pregnancy and popping out a kid?
Good points...now what is this about you being a writer?

SG7
April 19th, 2010, 09:52 PM
Daro,

Actually I think the underlying issue of her staying was more because I don't think that she could deal with having to be on the same ship as Young (who is likely the father though correct me if I'm wrong as I don't remember if they spelled that one out) and having to tell him that she was pregnant.

The big question will be how long it will take her to inform everyone else on the ship. Most importantly Young. That is, assuming that he is the father. And if he is not and it was some other random person from Icarus Base, then she may have been more embarrassed than anything, knowing that others on the ship may look at her differently.

Personally I'm hoping that we do see her pregnancy played out till at least after the baby is born so that we can see the struggles of her dealing with being pregnant on a ship with limited resources. And dealing with the whole dynamics of the rest of the people on the ship dealing with the fact that their doctor (who is also military) being pregnant. People getting pregnant and having babies is just a fact of life. And Sci-Fi shows should not be immune to them. Just as long as they are handled in such a way as not to degrade the show or actress/character

hiro
April 19th, 2010, 11:33 PM
What? It can't be! I was so sure it was Daniel Jackson!!

:lol: we want Daniel Back

i think that he appears in the next episode =D

Character
April 20th, 2010, 10:51 AM
Saying pregnancies don't have a place in sci-fi is kinda like those who say faith or philosophy or sex or relationships don't have a place. Pregnancies can and do happen in many sci-fi shows and books, and the reasons for them are not just dramatic.

Who ever said faith, philosophy or relationship dont have a place in sci fi? look at B5, farscape, stargate, bsg, hell any series, they're made of faith, philosophy and relationship. Pregnancies however dont so much have no place, but they're horribly overdone and rather rarely done right (as in add something interesting rather than annoying).

Hey, you gotta choose the lesser of two evils, if the writers decided to put in a pregnancy, lets hope atleast the forced drama about some baby no one cares will be gone soon, whether its a miscarry or a bullet to the head is secondary.

hedwig
April 20th, 2010, 11:00 AM
The big question will be how long it will take her to inform everyone else on the ship. Most importantly Young. That is, assuming that he is the father. And if he is not and it was some other random person from Icarus Base, then she may have been more embarrassed than anything, knowing that others on the ship may look at her differently.

I don't think it will take long at all for the news to get around the ship, given that she told Lt. Scott and Chloe, and Chloe isn't known for keeping secrets. Wasn't she the one that told somebody else about Lt. Scott finding out he had a child he'd never known about. If so, then it isn't likely she'd be keeping her mouth shut about TJ's pregnancy.

DigiFluid
April 20th, 2010, 11:09 AM
Of course it's Young's child. It's been pretty heavily implied for a while now that they'd been having an affair before the show started.

And that was Scott trying to talk to Young, whom Young brushed off :)

SG7
April 20th, 2010, 12:43 PM
I don't think it will take long at all for the news to get around the ship, given that she told Lt. Scott and Chloe, and Chloe isn't known for keeping secrets. Wasn't she the one that told somebody else about Lt. Scott finding out he had a child he'd never known about. If so, then it isn't likely she'd be keeping her mouth shut about TJ's pregnancy.

Does make sense. I can see Chloe letting it "slip" accidentially with out even thinking. I think it may take TJ an episode or two before she tells anyone else. Partly because of having to face Young and tell him. But also because she will be struggling with telling others because of the ramifications that it can have aboard Destiny. The ship's only doctor being pregnant will be a major deal for her character. Unfortunately probably much more than it needs to. As I have mentioned in other threads, people who are pregnant can still perform most of the duties that they are required to do. And in her case, she is a doctor. She will still be able to treat people and give medical attention and advice. There just may be the odd thing that she wouldn't be able to do because of her pregnancy.

I absolutely loved how Alaina portrayed the range of emotions of TJ and the stuff that she had to work through. Getting up the nerve to tell someone that she was pregnant. She probably only told Chloe as Chloe is just a civillian and formost a woman. And probably felt that it was safe to tell her as she does not have military ties. And her opinion would not be clouded by burocracy and military rules.

And then she was probably obligated to tell Scott just because she WAS choosing to stay on the planet and probably knew that to Scott, that decision probably seemed way out in left field for her knowing that she was the ship's only link to medical help

Spimman
April 20th, 2010, 01:05 PM
Having children is part of being human and one thing I have enjoyed about SGU is adding real human touches to the show. We have sex, depression, suicide, betrayal, lesbians, booz, power struggles, murder (attempted), love, lust, hate, rage and yes we now have pregnancy which will likely result in a child. With the way time passes on this show (4-6 weeks in a single episode) they baby could be hear and a toddler in no time at all.

I'm not saying I want the child to be a major component of the show, I don't...but it is a beautiful part of life. There is nothing more human than having a child, and maybe he/she can add a little joy into a tough and sometimes bleak existence on Destiny!

carmencatalina
April 20th, 2010, 01:33 PM
maybe he/she can add a little joy into a tough and sometimes bleak existence on Destiny!

So could having a puppy - and I really hope they don't have a puppy. So I'm hoping no baby. I like them in real life, just not in my bleak and dark sci-fi shows!

Daro
April 20th, 2010, 04:01 PM
Who ever said faith, philosophy or relationship dont have a place in sci fi? look at B5, farscape, stargate, bsg, hell any series, they're made of faith, philosophy and relationship. Pregnancies however dont so much have no place, but they're horribly overdone and rather rarely done right (as in add something interesting rather than annoying).

Hey, you gotta choose the lesser of two evils, if the writers decided to put in a pregnancy, lets hope atleast the forced drama about some baby no one cares will be gone soon, whether its a miscarry or a bullet to the head is secondary.

Sorry if I was vague, I probably was half asleep when I wrote this. I'm agreeing with you totally on the issue, it was a response to some of the people who claim that pregnancies, faith, etc have no place in science fiction. It's my opinion that there's nothing that Science Fiction can't touch on or incorporate. Part of the appeal of the genre is its chameleon nature.

I'm impressed enough with SGU's writing so far that I'm willing to give them a chance on the baby, so I won't join you in your sentiments that TJ should miscarry or lose the child in another way. If it gets soap opera-ish and stays that way, you can say "I told you so." ;)

Eternal Density
April 20th, 2010, 04:37 PM
So could having a puppy - and I really hope they don't have a puppy. So I'm hoping no baby. I like them in real life, just not in my bleak and dark sci-fi shows!I hope TJ doesn't have a puppy. That would be wrong!
We'll leave the half-alien babies to that show that's a letter of the alphabet.

pipi
April 20th, 2010, 06:45 PM
I wonder what would happen if TJ used the stone while with child? Imagine someone from Stargate Command waking up as a fetus. Butterfly Effect anyone.

garhkal
April 21st, 2010, 03:34 PM
There is a thread discussing what would happen if she used the stones while pregnant.

capricaabydos
April 22nd, 2010, 06:09 AM
I wonder what would happen if TJ used the stone while with child? Imagine someone from Stargate Command waking up as a fetus. Butterfly Effect anyone.
Wow, that would be really freaky!!!!

talyn2k1
April 25th, 2010, 12:20 PM
Fair point well made, I walked straight in to that one!

I meant human babies. Teyla's baby was used for some cheap drama and weak plotline and then essentially forgotten about. I have this horrible feeling that TJ's baby will be the same and, should it make it, it will always be the elephant in the room that the writers do their best to pretend doesn't exist.

Talyn,

SG7
April 25th, 2010, 08:48 PM
There is a thread discussing what would happen if she used the stones while pregnant.

I get the impression that she wouldn't use them while pregnant.

Rudy Pena
April 28th, 2010, 08:14 AM
Hey, what if it turns out that Young is not the father, what if the father is some other random guy like Greer, or Telford!!!!!!!!!!!No the random guy is me. :D :D :D :D :D lol

SG7
April 28th, 2010, 09:38 AM

Then I could definately see why she might want to stay on the planet rather than face Young. As that would indicate that somewhere between when her and Young ended their little thing, she was able to get into another relationship (and ultimately into the sack) with another person. And with it seeming like the affair that she had with Young was not long ended before leaving Icarus, then she may feel embarrassed about the whole situation.

VJC
April 28th, 2010, 12:10 PM

Indeed, it was a stupid decision to let her go down to the planet in the first place. Given the risk that they might not make it back, sending key personnel down into an unknown environment was a dumb thing to do. I can understand sending Scott as a ranking officer and telling him to choose a team; but the Young should have Vetoed T J being on that team, and told Scott to take one of the other medics instead.

capricaabydos
April 28th, 2010, 02:38 PM
Then I could definately see why she might want to stay on the planet rather than face Young. As that would indicate that somewhere between when her and Young ended their little thing, she was able to get into another relationship (and ultimately into the sack) with another person. And with it seeming like the affair that she had with Young was not long ended before leaving Icarus, then she may feel embarrassed about the whole situation.

That's exactly what I thought, what if Young is not the father and she's just embarresed to face him, but either way I think we will find out soon, I'm thinking Chloe is gonna tell someone, maybe Eli, and he will tell Young, and soon everyone will know that she's pregnant and that Young could be the father!!!!!

Rudy Pena
April 28th, 2010, 02:40 PM
That's exactly what I thought, what if Young is not the father and she's just embarresed to face him, but either way I think we will find out soon, I'm thinking Chloe is gonna tell someone, maybe Eli, and he will tell Young, and soon everyone will know that she's pregnant and that Young could be the father!!!!!

Im telling you, I am the Father!!!!!

Cory Holmes
April 28th, 2010, 02:49 PM
The bolded part is unlikely. She didn't tell Chloe who the father was, only Matt and I think this is one secret he'll be able to keep. I wonder how long he'll be able to keep that secret from Young, though...

capricaabydos
April 28th, 2010, 03:16 PM
No the random guy is me. :D :D :D :D :D lol

Nahhh it couldn't have been you, cause you were in Iraq, when TJ got prego, LOL !!!!!!

capricaabydos
April 28th, 2010, 04:02 PM
The bolded part is unlikely. She didn't tell Chloe who the father was, only Matt and I think this is one secret he'll be able to keep. I wonder how long he'll be able to keep that secret from Young, though...

Humm I had forgotten about Scotts, I think he'll be able to keep her secret for a while, but as you said I'm not sure if he'll be able to keep it from young long though, but I think Chloe will most likely tell someone like Eli first !!!!!!!!

FallenAngelII
April 28th, 2010, 04:08 PM
Wanting to stay on that paradise planet made zero sense since she decided to stay even before the pillar reacted like that. By staying behind on that planet, she was basically condemning her baby to a life on that planet. At best, the baby would be able to grow up and go on be beget children with other people stranded on the planet, becoming a part of a giant chain of in-breeding.

It's not like she's in any real danger on the ship except when the ship being attacked by those Smurfs. She's not a field officer and she doesn't often go off-world so she and her child will not be in danger for the most part. Also, if she stays on the ship and her baby is born healthy, there'll be upwards to 70-ish people to help rear it and take care of it, or, Heaven forbid, adopt it should something ever happen to TJ. On that planet, there'd only be twelve.

The ship is her and the baby's best chance.

aretood2
April 28th, 2010, 05:42 PM
Im telling you, I am the Father!!!!!

:eek: Are you the Balding Asian Guy?

SG7
April 28th, 2010, 07:38 PM
Wanting to stay on that paradise planet made zero sense since she decided to stay even before the pillar reacted like that. By staying behind on that planet, she was basically condemning her baby to a life on that planet. At best, the baby would be able to grow up and go on be beget children with other people stranded on the planet, becoming a part of a giant chain of in-breeding.

It's not like she's in any real danger on the ship except when the ship being attacked by those Smurfs. She's not a field officer and she doesn't often go off-world so she and her child will not be in danger for the most part. Also, if she stays on the ship and her baby is born healthy, there'll be upwards to 70-ish people to help rear it and take care of it, or, Heaven forbid, adopt it should something ever happen to TJ. On that planet, there'd only be twelve.

The ship is her and the baby's best chance.

Agreed. Had she stayed on the planet, then there would be fewer people to keep the population going. Where as if they are on the ship there is at least over 50 people left on board if I'm correct (haven't been keeping track of the attrition rate). And at least a better chance of getting home than if she'd stayed on the planet. Now I may have to rewatch the episode to see, but was it ever actually identified if anyone stayed on the planet or did I just miss that part?

Rudy Pena
April 29th, 2010, 08:47 AM
:eek: Are you the Balding Asian Guy?

yup

Mike.
April 29th, 2010, 09:08 AM
yup

No! No! That's not true. That's impossible!

Nooooooooooooooo!

Rudy Pena
April 30th, 2010, 07:40 PM
No! No! That's not true. That's impossible!

Nooooooooooooooo!

Its true. :D