The attitude of the aliens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The attitude of the aliens

Obviously we absolutely have no way to know, since they're weren't shown in the episode. But given what we saw, I'll fight for non-violent aliens.

If they were aggressive, it's likely they would probably be protecting the planet? If you can build a planet... or solar system... you can protect it too. Be it shields, or otherwise. But they didn't.

The planet itself was beautiful. A paradise by all standards. I don't see it being constructed by something... evil and violent.

It was typical military thinking and attitude. Assume aggression and hostility first. Granted, they have a right to think that... but you can't have your weapons ready to draw at every species you come across.

The attitude shown by Young, makes me think back to the Nox episode with Jack. He did the same thing.

It reminds me of the "others" in LOST.

Comment

You absolutely can and should have your weapon ready to draw when meeting any alien race.

Otherwise, I tend to agree. I wonder if the planet is a form of art, almost? If you have the technology to build worlds, might artists in that culture express themselves that way?
      It's not impossible to think some Ancients somehow reached that place and developed it. I doubt it, but perhaps. Maybe the beacon is there to signal Destiny itself, or other Ancient colonies.

Comment

Originally posted by Daro View Post
        You absolutely can and should have your weapon ready to draw when meeting any alien race.

Otherwise, I tend to agree. I wonder if the planet is a form of art, almost? If you have the technology to build worlds, might artists in that culture express themselves that way?
        It's not impossible to think some Ancients somehow reached that place and developed it. I doubt it, but perhaps. Maybe the beacon is there to signal Destiny itself, or other Ancient colonies.
        But that's such a horrible first impression. it's not even funny.

Maybe it's the Star Trek geek in me. But how would that represent you?

Obviously it's good to defend your self in case they are violent... but what if they're not?

Comment

Originally posted by Alan Wake View Post
          If you can build a planet... or solar system... you can protect it too.
          Maybe they were protecting it with the obelisk. It was giving off radiation maybe it would eventually turn strong enough to kill them. Or maybe they don't have to defend them because they have so many. Also, think about Hansel and Gretel. That candy house sure seemed like paradise to them... until the woman tried to eat them.

Comment

They might not be hostile, but that does not mean they will be friendly. They may be completely neutral to the humans on Destiny. Assuming a future meeting, if they take any notice at all, they may only find the crew as being mildly interesting primitives.

On the other hand, they might not like it that the folks from Destiny have mucked up a long-term experiment. Perhaps they have left some kind of bacteria which will have a negative effect on the local area. They might not attack but they may want to detain or study the crew to figure out how to combat the intruding lifeforms.

regards,
            G.

PS - did anyone remember to put out the campfire?
            Go for Marty...

Comment

Obviously it's good to defend your self in case they are violent... but what if they're not?
              As any Babylon 5 fan knows, you approach with gunports open as a sign of respect.
              And because of the misunderstanding your open gunports and high-energy sensors cause, you go about wiping out the other race, justified as revenge.
              We look for things.
              Things to make us go. [INDENT]--The Pakleds

Comment

I believe the most likely solution to the Fermi paradox is put forth in Greg Bears Forge of God. In that novel, it's posited that species who are beginning to make their presence known electromagnetically are exterminated by more advanced species as a form of pre emptive self defense.

In other words, I'm with Eli.....be quiet and keep your head low, just in case.

Comment

Of course, it doesn't look good to have a gun strapped on your hip, but I'd rather make a bad first impression rather than trust that something with completely different evolution and probably completely different values isn't going to try and eat me as its first move in the game of diplomacy. I find it ironic to say, since I am a huge fan of aliens in general, and I write most of my short stories and novels from an alien POV. But as long as no one gets too excited, just being armed and ready should not ruin your chances at being friends. The key is having people who won't get excited. In other words, don't bring Greer.

Comment

Obviously we absolutely have no way to know, since they're weren't shown in the episode. But given what we saw, I'll fight for non-violent aliens.

If they were aggressive, it's likely they would probably be protecting the planet? If you can build a planet... or solar system... you can protect it too. Be it shields, or otherwise. But they didn't.

The planet itself was beautiful. A paradise by all standards. I don't see it being constructed by something... evil and violent.

It was typical military thinking and attitude. Assume aggression and hostility first. Granted, they have a right to think that... but you can't have your weapons ready to draw at every species you come across.

The attitude shown by Young, makes me think back to the Nox episode with Jack. He did the same thing.
                    planet with Celestis was pretty beautiful, as the other planet in AoT, and the Ori weren't so friendly.
                    Stolen Kosovo
                    sigpic

Comment

If I were on Destiny and someone told me these aliens had build this small planetary system for the benefit of me and the rest of the crew, if we ever met I'd say thanks for the thought and then ask if they could me a faster way home.

regards,
                      G.
                      Go for Marty...

Comment

Originally posted by g.o.d View Post
                        planet with Celestis was pretty beautiful, as the other planet in AoT, and the Ori weren't so friendly.
                        To be fair, Celestis wasn't constructed by the Ori as far as we know though.

Proud supporter of His holy BAGness!

Comment

Originally posted by AVFan View Post
                          To be fair, Celestis wasn't constructed by the Ori as far as we know though.
                          I'm just saying his logic doesn't make any sense. There's no point for evil beings to live in some awful environment
                          Stolen Kosovo
                          sigpic

Comment

this is a public service announcement
                            evil and beauty are subjective
                            R.I.P Stargate 1994-2009

Comment

I tend to agree. UNLESS...They're a race of Predators that like to drop off humans there for the hunt. An Earth-like environment would give the humans a fighting chance, thus making the thrill of the hunt even greater.

Comment

Working...
                              X