PDA

View Full Version : Chess and the show

DigiFluid
April 16th, 2010, 08:55 PM
Who else thinks that chess will become a significant part of the storytelling for Rush and Young in the future?

The fact that Rush is whittling chess pieces (from what wood, by the way?) gives him something to do for a while--but the slyly delivered "I like chess" from Young is what sold it for me. I'm convinced that they'll be playing games together in the future.

I predict tense conversations over a chess board in the future, who's with me? :)

Alan Wake
April 16th, 2010, 08:57 PM
I agree with you my friend.

But who'll be the "winner"?

It'll be interesting. maybe they can tie the game into actual episodes. Who controls the board? the ship.

Daro
April 16th, 2010, 09:00 PM
I agree. And he got the wood from the supplies the shuttle brought back, I imagine.
I'd like to see which one wins more games. Rush is probably more intelligent, but Young has his military experience. I really loved that scene between them. Again, Young was extending the olive branch, and this time Rush was kind (or surprised) enough not to throw it back in his face.

jelgate
April 16th, 2010, 09:03 PM
I agree. And he got the wood from the supplies the shuttle brought back, I imagine.
I'd like to see which one wins more games. Rush is probably more intelligent, but Young has his military experience. I really loved that scene between them. Again, Young was extending the olive branch, and this time Rush was kind (or surprised) enough not to throw it back in his face.
Its not really about inteligence but who has a more strategic mind. Personally I think thier chess matches would be tense

Pharaoh Atem
April 16th, 2010, 09:05 PM
rush and young has always been a game of chess. and at the moment young is 1-0 (justice)

Alan Wake
April 16th, 2010, 09:06 PM
Its not really about inteligence but who has a more strategic mind. Personally I think thier chess matches would be tense

Yes. Rush is... intelligence. Young is military.

A difficult battle might erupt.

DigiFluid
April 16th, 2010, 09:06 PM
Nah. Young's 2-0 right now ("Justice" and "Divided") ;)

Alan Wake
April 16th, 2010, 09:07 PM
The next episode might be a game changer though. if it's anything by the previews.

Gollumpus
April 16th, 2010, 09:09 PM
I see a lot of draws. Rush would sacrifice all of his pieces, and Young would try to win the game just using his king...

regards,
G.

asdf1239
April 16th, 2010, 09:10 PM
theres absolutely no reason to believe that their behaviors would somehow cross over to chess. if they do, it would be a horrible cliche.

Pharaoh Atem
April 16th, 2010, 09:12 PM
theres absolutely no reason to believe that their behaviors would somehow cross over to chess. if they do, it would be a horrible cliche.

bonding and togetherness :P and fighting over the game itself

The Shrike
April 16th, 2010, 09:12 PM
Don't assume Rush would be a better chess player due to his educational background, chess is taught in many military schools, so military officers are more likely to be above average players.

Daro
April 16th, 2010, 09:13 PM
That's what I said, the IQ v. military thing. :P

And I don't think that having their real life tactics inform some of their methods in chess would be unrealistic. I am an avid board gamer, and I see my own personality influencing the way I play. Sometimes some things are a cliche because they're true.

Loheat
April 16th, 2010, 09:14 PM
I think Young might be lying, and just trying to create some good faith between the two of them. Wouldnt be surprised if he gets his ass handed to him by Rush

asdf1239
April 16th, 2010, 09:16 PM
if they -have- to include it i pray that it be a little more subtle than some "windows into the mind" thing like young sticking to theory or rush playing unsound openings because of their different personalities.

and if anything, they should try to prevent their mindset from governing their play to avoid their opponent gaining insights about them if they do end up at odds again in a real life situation.

The Shrike
April 16th, 2010, 09:19 PM
That's what I said, the IQ v. military thing. :P

And I don't think that having their real life tactics inform some of their methods in chess would be unrealistic. I am an avid board gamer, and I see my own personality influencing the way I play. Sometimes some things are a cliche because they're true.Given Young's penchant towards weapons, and Rush's towards sheild, I'd say Young opts for tactical play and open positions, whereas Rush would prefer a closed positional game.

Lost
April 16th, 2010, 09:26 PM
Backgammon is the ame of Lost.

SGU has a game of Chess.

The similarities continue.

DigiFluid
April 16th, 2010, 09:27 PM

SGU has a game of Chess.

And the grasping at straws continues :p

Alan Wake

SGU has a game of Chess.

Tea'lc is also Black. and Daniel is white.... !!!!

MIB vs Jacob reference?!?

Light/dark?

*gasp*

s09119

SGU has a game of Chess.

Grasping at straws, methinks.

Replicator Todd
April 16th, 2010, 09:53 PM
I wuv chess. :weiranime42:

Daro
April 16th, 2010, 10:14 PM

SGU has a game of Chess.

With the greatest possible respect, I say: only in your mind. ;)

droid327
April 17th, 2010, 03:29 AM
Well ST:TNG had poker, too, so what?

Chess, though, really? Seems a little on the nose, doesnt it?

I wont be impressed until Rush is playing Prince for his soul :)

Ser Scot A Ellison
April 17th, 2010, 03:37 AM
I'm interested to see where this goes. Young is clearly making an effort to work with Rush on more than a surface level. Rush still doesn't trust Young. I also think Young recognizes his impulse control issues and is trying to get a handle on that problem since we've seen the fallout from at least one of Young's snap decisions. It's hard to change life long habits but they do have every incentive to get too it.

The teaser for the next episode indicates Rush is going to put his hiney on the line in the Ancient download chair. I imagine that will get him some points with Young as I think part of Young's beef with Rush is Rush's inability to sacrifice himself for everyone else. Rush is doing exactly what Young challenged him to do. I can't wait to see where that goes.

kirmit
April 17th, 2010, 03:39 AM
I think it'd be nice in a future episode, after some big event, we see them sitting down to a game of chess, talking and getting along. Don't get me wrong, the friction is fun to watch but sometimes it's just nice to see people getting along.

Blackhole
April 17th, 2010, 03:47 AM
I think it'd be nice in a future episode, after some big event, we see them sitting down to a game of chess, talking and getting along. Don't get me wrong, the friction is fun to watch but sometimes it's just nice to see people getting along.

I agree all we have had has been tension among everybody. We need to start seeing people get along.

EvilSpaceAlien
April 17th, 2010, 04:58 AM

SGU has a game of Chess.

And strawgrasping continues to be the most popular game in fandom.

reddevil18
April 17th, 2010, 05:05 AM
I wonder what Greer's game of choice is. Russian roulette?

jelgate
April 17th, 2010, 06:53 AM

He seems like a Jacks man

carmencatalina
April 17th, 2010, 09:31 AM
Is anyone else as impressed as I am by Rush's wood carving skills? Especially considering that he working with that big knife - you go, dude.

I feel my prediction will eventually come true - someday, it will be Rush that knits Young his new socks. And then there will finally be peace and happiness on board Destiny!

MattSilver 3k
April 17th, 2010, 09:33 AM
Is anyone else as impressed as I am by Rush's wood carving skills? Especially considering that he working with that big knife - you go, dude.

I feel my prediction will eventually come true - someday, it will be Rush that knits Young his new socks. And then there will finally be peace and happiness on board Destiny!

Sounds like a slash fiction:
Socks and Wood: The OTP Story of Colonel Everett Young and Dr Nicholas Rush

carmencatalina
April 17th, 2010, 09:34 AM
Sounds like a slash fiction:
Socks and Wood: The OTP Story of Colonel Everett Young and Dr Nicholas Rush

Whistles innocently while making notes . . .

(And also, snicker, you said "wood" . . .)

MattSilver 3k
April 17th, 2010, 09:35 AM
Whistles innocently while making notes . . .

(And also, snicker, you said "wood" . . .)

I know, and now I can never take that back.

kymeric
April 17th, 2010, 10:29 AM
I think 50 years from now theyre gonna be kirk and spock, but for now theyre trying not to kill eachother and find some common ground. Imagine in season 5 we get an ep where they meet young and rush from season 1 and are all WTF were bff now

garhkal
April 17th, 2010, 10:44 AM
Don't assume Rush would be a better chess player due to his educational background, chess is taught in many military schools, so military officers are more likely to be above average players.

I have never had any formal training, but when i first enlisted, i routinely beat our officers in the ships chess club (though i always seemed to get my ass handed to me by three of our MS's)

The teaser for the next episode indicates Rush is going to put his hiney on the line in the Ancient download chair. I imagine that will get him some points with Young as I think part of Young's beef with Rush is Rush's inability to sacrifice himself for everyone else. Rush is doing exactly what Young challenged him to do. I can't wait to see where that goes.

I was finally cheering for rush when i saw the previews..

I think 50 years from now theyre gonna be kirk and spock, but for now theyre trying not to kill eachother and find some common ground.

That might be. Heck remember in the initial SG film, oneil hated daniel, but look how friendly they were by the end.

tessa
April 17th, 2010, 02:07 PM
I wonder, with whom Rush was planning to play originally? Surely, not with Young :) I very much doubt, one of his colleagues, scientists, had been on his mind either… Maybe I am wrong here though.
Just can’t imagine Rush walking through the door with chess board and pieces and offering a friendly match to somebody – it has to be a friendly gesture, right? Friendly Rush, for God's sake! :)

… Perhaps with himself?

DigiFluid
April 17th, 2010, 02:35 PM
I wonder, with whom Rush was planning to play originally? Surely, not with Young :) I very much doubt, one of his colleagues, scientists, had been on his mind either… Maybe I am wrong here though.
Just can’t imagine Rush walking through the door with chess board and pieces and offering a friendly match to somebody – it has to be a friendly gesture, right? Friendly Rush, for God's sake! :)

… Perhaps with himself?
lol making chess pieces is a pastime.

Didn't you ever see The Shawshank Redemption?

Replicator Todd
April 17th, 2010, 02:37 PM

OT:

I just got that on Blu-Ray! I've never seen it before and i'm going to watch it soon...

DigiFluid
April 17th, 2010, 02:38 PM
OT:

I just got that on Blu-Ray! I've never seen it before and i'm going to watch it soon...
Ohhhh do it do it do it do it.

One of the best movies I've ever seen. Everything about it is fantastic.

tessa
April 17th, 2010, 04:05 PM

Yes, but it was a very, VERY long time ago. I feel now like I need to re-watch it :) It was a great movie, I remember that :)

Kermee
April 17th, 2010, 04:07 PM
Who do you think brought a chess board on Destiny...Rush or Young?
My bet is on Young.

carmencatalina
April 17th, 2010, 06:58 PM
I think neither of them - hence the fact that Rush is making chess pieces. The board itself is easy enough (paper will do in a pinch).

Pharaoh Atem
April 17th, 2010, 07:03 PM

i'd say football

Gollumpus
April 17th, 2010, 08:51 PM

Of course Rush could be practicing his knife skills for the next time he and Young go head to head... :P

regards,
G.

Alan Wake
April 17th, 2010, 09:05 PM
i'd say football

Basketball.

Or better yet... Golf.

He's a golf guy.

EllieVee
April 17th, 2010, 09:11 PM
I think Greer's a closet sudoku guy. None of this physical sport; he's all brain food.

yanna
April 17th, 2010, 10:36 PM
Who else thinks that chess will become a significant part of the storytelling for Rush and Young in the future?

The fact that Rush is whittling chess pieces (from what wood, by the way?) gives him something to do for a while--but the slyly delivered "I like chess" from Young is what sold it for me. I'm convinced that they'll be playing games together in the future.

Let's just hope Young isn't a sore loser.

EllieVee
April 18th, 2010, 12:18 AM
Let's just hope Young isn't a sore loser.

Yes, Rush should avoid winning if he wants to live.

ladypredator
April 18th, 2010, 08:35 AM
If Rush can carve pieces, he can carve a board as well.

I think Rush was doing it for himself. My guess would be that he was planning to play on his own - ''against himself."

I would bet that Rush knows he can cream Young at chess. He's be the type of person to have played on Oxford's chess team and maybe even competitively beyond that. He's a genius and a physicist/mathematician among other things - just the type to be a top-level player.

I could seriously see Young asking Rush to play in the mess hall. Greer wanting to bet on the game, and Volker & Brodie taking him up on it because they know full well Young hasn't got a chance in hell, and they take Greer to the cleaners. Rush would be very quietly amused.

Young's utterly out of depth with Rush, it's part of why he keeps screwing up and getting paranoid. He can't keep up intellectually and that scares him because he's a control freak. The military mind - everything has to be just so and predictable; Rush will never be predictable. A good example is Young's confusion when Rush says to go the planet and round people up. Young has missed that Rush only went along with Camile's plan so he could make sure Young didn't screw up by firing weapons at the aliens instead of putting all power into the shields. Young also missed that these are totally different circumstances; Rush is re-evaluating and analyzing based on the situation at hand. They're at bare survival numbers as is. I'm not going to get into the genetics of population bottlenecks, but Rush has a significant point. They can't afford to lose so many people at once, either for survival at the moment or survival long-term. And there are a couple of other things Young's missed there as well. I think that's why Rush just leaves instead of continuing to argue. He realizes it's a waste of his time.

Can't wait to see "Human" - I've thought all along that Young was wrong about Rush and the chair. I think Rush would've given his right arm to sit in that chair from the moment they found it; he just knew that if he did it, no one else would be smart enough to handle things if it went wrong. Which is why he wanted to figure out how to control the systems and limit the download. Franklin screwed that up for him.

EllieVee
April 18th, 2010, 10:17 PM
I hesitate to disagree with LadyP but I will on one thing. I think Young will turn out to be a pretty good chess player, perhaps not as good as Rush but I imagine a different type of player who might give him a good game.

Everything else, I naturally agree with, particularly about the chair. Rush isn't a coward. :D

Sami_
April 18th, 2010, 11:56 PM
Chess is featuring prominently in smallville too!

I sense a conspiracy or chess is making a revival.

Gollumpus
April 19th, 2010, 12:21 AM
Having Young being able to best Rush at chess right from game one would be a bit too much like the Shepperd/McKay chess scenarios from SGA, there would be no shock or surprise in having the expected underdog winning. My belief is that the writers have a plan to initially have Rush being able to best Young fairly easily, however as the series goes on Young will be able to bring his game up to a point where he can play to around a 50/50 level.

Of course they may just have them play to an interminable number of draws which could be used as a parallel to their actions on the ship...

regards,
G.

hiro
April 19th, 2010, 12:47 AM

SGU has a game of Chess.

Stop it ! i'm serious! Not everything is lost related ! Oh in TBBT play 3d chesse so ... !
come on! we have seen many series and movies before where some of the main characters play chess (now i only remember X-men )

Tea'lc is also Black. and Daniel is white.... !!!!

MIB vs Jacob reference?!?

Light/dark?

*gasp*

True !

garhkal
April 19th, 2010, 03:19 PM
Having Young being able to best Rush at chess right from game one would be a bit too much like the Shepperd/McKay chess scenarios from SGA, there would be no shock or surprise in having the expected underdog winning. My belief is that the writers have a plan to initially have Rush being able to best Young fairly easily, however as the series goes on Young will be able to bring his game up to a point where he can play to around a 50/50 level.

True it would make it look like shep and mccay.

Daro
April 19th, 2010, 06:35 PM
Maybe Rush intended to play chess with Chloe, his new BFF? We'll know for sure if she's making all the black chess pieces next episode. :P

Seriously, it's a possibility. Despite what a lot of fans think, Chloe must have a decent brain. She has that Harvard education, and has shown herself to be a tricky opponent (when arguing against Wray in "Justice," for example.) She also doesn't really have a lot to do around the ship most of the time. I also think Eli would play, just to see if he could beat Rush. It might become a 'thing' on the show, with all the characters trying to win against Rush and none of them being able to (except maybe Young.) It'd be a good source of comedic relief once in a while, if not overdone, and also a good way to foreshadow the way certain Rush conflicts might play out.

Eternal Density
April 19th, 2010, 09:41 PM
Chess is featuring prominently in smallville too!

I sense a conspiracy or chess is making a revival.Good point! lol

I wonder what Eli thinks of chess. Perhaps he prefers a nice game of global thermonuclear war? :P
As for the current 'score', surely Rush gets a point for Franklin sitting in the chair (granted, we don't know what will come of it). Actually, Rush gets a point for reaching Destiny in the first place!

Python
January 4th, 2011, 04:06 AM
Still waiting for chess to return in the show. It's like the Furlings now. :(