PDA

View Full Version : Ferengi wisdom.

Gollumpus
April 16th, 2010, 08:26 PM
I've recalled a quote from DS-9 which to me sums up the crew of Destiny and how they have been handling their experiences of the last (almost) 3 months...

Quark: Let me tell you something about Hew-mons, Nephew. They're a wonderful, friendly people, as long as their bellies are full and their holosuites are working. But take away their creature comforts, deprive them of food, sleep, sonic showers, put their lives in jeopardy over an extended period of time and those same friendly, intelligent, wonderful people... will become as nasty and as violent as the most bloodthirsty Klingon. You don't believe me? Look at those faces. Look in their eyes.

regards,
G.

The Shrike
April 16th, 2010, 09:39 PM
If Star Trek opted for more realism, the Ferengi would be in charge.

Gollumpus
April 16th, 2010, 09:41 PM
If Star Trek opted for more realism, the Ferengi would be in charge.

I thought they were...

regards,
G.

Nemises
April 16th, 2010, 11:37 PM
I've recall a quote from DS-9 which to me sums up the crew of Destiny and how they have been handling their experiences of the last (almost) 3 months...

regards,
G.

I watched that episode yesterday :cameron:

ZGoten
April 17th, 2010, 08:06 AM
That quote applies to pretty much all human beings.

Mike.
April 17th, 2010, 08:24 AM
That quote applies to pretty much all human beings.

:indeed:

The Shrike
April 17th, 2010, 08:40 AM
That quote applies to pretty much all human beings.We wouldn't have risen to a position of dominance on this world if we weren't that way.

Ukko
April 17th, 2010, 08:42 AM
We wouldn't have risen to a position of dominance on this world if we weren't that way.

We like to think we dominate this world. Then mother nature throws a volcano in our faces and suddenly we're all stuck:p

The Shrike
April 17th, 2010, 08:52 AM
We like to think we dominate this world. Then mother nature throws a volcano in our faces and suddenly we're all stuck:pYet we survive, and thrive, and we will slowly learn to control those very forces of nature that seem beyond our capacity to now. That is our destiny.

Ukko
April 17th, 2010, 08:56 AM
Yet we survive, and thrive, and we will slowly learn to control those very forces of nature that seem beyond our capacity to now. That is our destiny.

When you figure it out, there are some people in Iceland and Europe in general who would like to know your method of controling volcanos.

Encoder
April 17th, 2010, 09:03 AM
Pffft, the Ferengi would have been quashed by the Klingons centuries ago!

:sheppard:

The Shrike
April 17th, 2010, 09:21 AM
When you figure it out, there are some people in Iceland and Europe in general who would like to know your method of controling volcanos.Let me know when we first cross the oceans, or fly, or split the atom, or step foot on the moon, or.....well, you get the picture. All problems, all solved by science., given the correct amount of time and pressure.

Ukko
April 17th, 2010, 09:23 AM

They'd send an email to the Klingons telling them they've won the Nigerian lottery. Once the Klingons reply, hoping to claim their money, the Ferengi would take them to the cleaners and the Klingons wouldnt be able to afford any weapons to Quash the Ferengi with:p

Encoder
April 17th, 2010, 09:24 AM
They'd send an email to the Klingons telling them they've won the Nigerian lottery. Once the Klingons reply, hoping to claim their money, the Ferengi would take them to the cleaners and the Klingons wouldnt be able to afford any weapons to Quash the Ferengi with:p

You see, I can actually see this happening...that's scary! :P

The Shrike
April 17th, 2010, 09:25 AM

:sheppard:Superior commerce + the advanced technology that it affords > a ridged forehead + a strong back.

Ukko
April 17th, 2010, 09:27 AM
Let me know when we first cross the oceans, or fly, or split the atom, or step foot on the moon, or.....well, you get the picture. All problems, all solved by science., given the correct amount of time and pressure.

We can fly (Around the world or to the moon), but we dont control they sky. We can sail, but we dont control the ocean. We can split the Atom but we cant bend them to our will.

Ukko
April 17th, 2010, 09:29 AM
You see, I can actually see this happening...that's scary! :P

And we'd take the flack for it because Nigeria is on Earth:p

Encoder
April 17th, 2010, 09:34 AM
Superior commerce + the advanced technology that it affords > a ridged forehead + a strong back.

Oh please, the Ferengi couldn't barter a deal if their lives depended upon it.

Pig headed greedy commerce dealers + no capacity to wage war < a ridged forehead + a strong back ^^ years of military training.

And we'd take the flack for it because Nigeria is on Earth:p

No no, it's Nigeria on Quo'nos!

The Shrike
April 17th, 2010, 09:57 AM
We can fly (Around the world or to the moon), but we dont control they sky. We can sail, but we dont control the ocean. We can split the Atom but we cant bend them to our will.Not yet, but with each passing day our knowledge, and our power grows. The irony of the humans on various worlds in the Stargate series is they engage in a never ending search for the gods to give them guidance, while simultaneously ignoring the obvious answer.....we are those gods, and we will one day bend this universe to our will.

The Shrike
April 17th, 2010, 10:04 AM
....Blind euphoric pacifistic communal idealism (ie: The Federation) << a ridged forehead + a strong back ^^ years of military training....Fixed

Ukko
April 17th, 2010, 10:17 AM
Not yet, but with each passing day our knowledge, and our power grows. The irony of the humans on various worlds in the Stargate series is they engage in a never ending search for the gods to give them guidance, while simultaneously ignoring the obvious answer.....we are those gods, and we will one day bend this universe to our will.

Our species will die out long before we unlock all the secrets of the universe and realise we cant control it.

Each passing day we destroy more of this planet and each other and our power to do so grows. The irony of the humans in the Stargate universe is they engage in a never ending search for the gods to give them guidence, while simultaneously having humans from Earth ridicule, interfear with or destroy those beliefs while those same Humans on Earth engage in the same search, while simultaneously ignoring the obvious answer........we are an insignificant part of a vast universe and all this fighting for control is pointless. Our lives would be much easier if we actually got on with each other and learned to live in peace. We could come together to help one another when disaster beyond our control happens, saving more lives and recovering quicker and with more efficancy than we can when we're at each others throats or tripping over each other trying to score points with the media.

Now, i must finish my dinner.

The Shrike
April 17th, 2010, 10:42 AM
Our species will die out long before we unlock all the secrets of the universe and realise we cant control it.....Not if we spread our wings and move out beyond this world. To quote Stephen Hawking:

I believe that life on Earth is at an ever-increasing risk of being wiped out by a disaster such as sudden nuclear war, a genetically engineered virus, or other dangers. I think the human race has no future if it doesn't go into space. If short sighted politicians and their ignorant constituent's don't listen to people like Stephen, who are frankly their betters, and continue to focus their efforts myopically on this planet, then our demise is only a matter of time.

How does that old saying go....don't put all your eggs in one basket. The sooner we rectify that, the better.

rlr149
April 17th, 2010, 12:48 PM
and continue to focus their efforts myopically on this planet, then our demise is only a matter of time.

focusing on the planet would actually be quite good, most only try to affect their own country! patriotism is racism but spelt differently;)

Ukko
April 18th, 2010, 01:01 AM
Not if we spread our wings and move out beyond this world. To quote Stephen Hawking:
If short sighted politicians and their ignorant constituent's don't listen to people like Stephen, who are frankly their betters, and continue to focus their efforts myopically on this planet, then our demise is only a matter of time.

How does that old saying go....don't put all your eggs in one basket. The sooner we rectify that, the better.

Going into spcace does not = controling the universe though.