Would you have stayed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would you have stayed?

I'm curious what everyone would have done if given this situation... and assuming you have a choice to stay.

I would probably have stayed. Although life might get tough on the planet... it's better then being stuck on a ship.

The question of the aliens coming back or not? I'd take my chances.

Originally posted by Alan Wake View Post
    I'm curious what everyone would have done if given this situation... and assuming you have a choice to stay.

I would probably have stayed. Although life might get tough on the planet... it's better then being stuck on a ship.

The question of the aliens coming back or not? I'd take my chances.
    Haha, this is so hard to say. Thinking rationally right now, I'd say that I would stay on the ship. But if I were in the situation where I was stressed out, borderline-malnourished, homesick, and stuck on a ship with people that can be hard to get along with at times....I'm not sure what I'd do.
    Sig by Pandora's Box
    sigpic

Comment

That is a tough question. Right now, just thinking about it, I would probably go back to the Destiny. Put faith in Rush and the others finding a way back to Earth someday. Staying on the planet, IMO, would kind of be like giving up on going home. I just couldn't do that. Maybe.
      sigpic
      MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
      "...phu...ah..."
      "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
      Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

I don't think I would have. The aliens who built that place may or may not be kind. And I would not wish to sever my only possible chance to get home. Perhaps the aliens could and would help the people on the planet get back, but Destiny has the stargate. And the communication stones, so at least while you aren't back on Earth you can communicate with your loved ones.

That said, I haven't been abducted by aliens, suffered the fear of whether or not the ship would explode, or had to eat gruel for months on end.

Comment

I'd take the ship. It has roots in the fact that I'm a cynical person by nature and always look for "the catch". There are a lot of ifs involved in staying on that planet, none of which can really be answered in any sort of decent manner, which requires leaps of faith.

In a more practical manner, the ship is climate controlled, has working defenses and weapons, a viable and garunteed meathod of travel, and the promise of someday taking control away from the autopilot. Additonally, we know a great deal about the Ancients and that alone gives us a leg up on The Faith Aliens.

Team Ship for me.
          sigpic
          http://www.nerdtests.com/ft_space.php

Comment

Interesting that all of you have picked the ship so far.

I guess I'll be lonely

I just can't stand the constant threat of being in a confined space, battles, not enough food or water... and tensions building up.

Comment

I think, 'the devil you know' thing would make me stay on the ship. Whilst it's not an ideal situation it is still sort of 'familiar'. At least on the Destiny I'd have some sort of hope of getting back to Earth one day. There are too many 'ifs' for me on survival on that planet.

It was a 'Garden of Eden' for the scared and lost, but in every garden lurks the serpent! It was just too good to be true.

Comment

It would also depend on my personal relationships with those on the ship. If I were a scientist (which, if I were there, I think I would be....assuming I graduate and all) I'd think I would feel an obligation to help the people on Destiny get home. Beyond that, there's the scientific promise that Destiny holds.

Comment

Don't worry AW, I'd keep you company.

I definitely would've stayed on the planet. Unlimited fresh water for drinking/cooking/washing, fruits growing without concern of running out of them on the ship, a shuttle for warmth until you get real shelter built, BC climate (lol). Sound like paradise compared to Destiny.
                  "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

I don't think I would have stayed, just because we didn't know enough yet about the planet or aliens (they couldn't translate the writing on the obelisk) there is a chance the aliens who built the planet might not come back.

Or perhaps the planet might just disappear once the ship left !

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid1 View Post
                      Don't worry AW, I'd keep you company.

I definitely would've stayed on the planet. Unlimited fresh water for drinking/cooking/washing, fruits growing without concern of running out of them on the ship, a shuttle for warmth until you get real shelter built, BC climate (lol). Sound like paradise compared to Destiny.
                      I forgot!

Couldn't they just take the shuttle to another part of the planet during the winter? thus avoiding that problem.

But thanks for keeping me company

Let's just hope the aliens are friendly.

Comment

Surviving the winter would not be pleasant. On the other hand, they have the shuttle. What concerns me is that the planet appeared to have no animal life. Maybe the visitors saw some, but they never mentioned it. If there is no animal life, I have trouble accepting that plant life like that which grows on Earth would be growing there. Another sign that the place is a garden, and that there will be some gardners there to check on it.
                        Or an experiment. I'm willing to bet the researcher who could make such a planet for that purpose would be miffed to say the least when he/she/it realizes that humans have taken up residence.

Comment

To me staying seems too much like quitting. I want to stay on the ride until it stops moving.

Also, I wouldn't want to hang around on that planet with so few other people. It would be way too small a breeding population. The human population on that planet would likely be goners within a few generations.

There's nothing that says that the "Builders" actually built that planet for the folks on Destiny (whether they were expecting Ancients or Humans is unknown). Maybe the beacon was nothing more than an automated pressure valve. Assuming it was a beacon maybe the builders are long since dead and gone.

regards,
                          G.
                          Go for Marty...

Comment

Originally posted by Gollumpus View Post
                            Also, I wouldn't want to hang around on that planet with so few other people. It would be way too small a breeding population. The human population on that planet would likely be goners within a few generations.
                            This isn't Battlestar, I wouldn't really be all that concerned about whether or not there was a sustainable genetic pool. Staying behind is a choice for you and yourself alone. I rather doubt that having children would be the highest concern of the 11 people who wanted to stay behind.

I think in starting this thread, Alan's hit the nail on the head so far as the point of this episode. That is to say--do you have it in you, the faith to stay behind and believe that everything will be okay?
                            "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

I'd stay with the ship no contest. Either way you're pretty much stuck, sure the planet would be a little nicer place to be stuck but the ship just holds too many wonders for my curiosity to ignore. Staying on the planet would just be too boring of a life, which is pretty much what I have now. Just way to many awesome things on the ship to do even if I had no clue what any of the stuff did.

Comment

Working...
                              X