PDA

View Full Version : Lost References

Lost
April 16th, 2010, 07:56 PM
It is clear to me that this episode was influenced by the show LOST.

The beam of light towards the sky was like the beam of light from the hatch in LOST.

There was mention of a plane crash and survivors.

Coronach
April 16th, 2010, 07:58 PM
Well...I...guess....maybe? :S

Alan Wake
April 16th, 2010, 08:00 PM
That's kinda grasping at straws here.

Daro
April 16th, 2010, 08:01 PM
I don't think so. Many shows have used the whole beam of light thing, and plane crashes are a legitimate concern when you have a not-so-functional shuttle. I'd rather avoid trying to make connections in the plots, since Lost (contrary to popular opinion) didn't invent most of the devices it uses. The closest I think SGU gets to referencing other shows is the occaisonal reference to the other two SG series, and of course Eli's dialogue.

drallafi
April 16th, 2010, 08:16 PM
No.

There was however, a dig at BSG here. Do you remember the line regarding, "This isn't part of God's plan..." or whatever it was.

Anyway, as a BSG fan, I laughed.

Lost
April 16th, 2010, 08:34 PM
Come on now! You can't tell me that this episode wasn't a nod towards LOST.

Let me put it this way.

If the show LOST didn't exist, this episode would have been different.

DigiFluid
April 16th, 2010, 08:35 PM
That's kinda grasping at straws here.
^^ This.

No.

There was however, a dig at BSG here. Do you remember the line regarding, "This isn't part of God's plan..." or whatever it was.

Anyway, as a BSG fan, I laughed.
This, however, I definitely noticed. And laughed at too.

The planet looked suspiciously like Kobol. And suspiciously like our Earth :D

Coronach
April 16th, 2010, 08:36 PM
Come on now! You can't tell me that this episode wasn't a nod towards LOST.

Let me put it this way.

If the show LOST didn't exist, this episode would have been different.

I've watched every episode of LOST to date, and I just cannot see it really. Maybe the episode "Lost" will share similarities...but I just do not see them in this case. :S

Lost
April 16th, 2010, 08:48 PM
Oh well, I'm a crazy LOST fan. So, I guess that explains it.

But, I am also a crazy Stargate fan.

I hated BSG and yes I see glimmers of BSG in SGU, but not enough to ruin it for me.

Detox
April 16th, 2010, 09:08 PM
Dude! I totally agree!

They also had trees and bodies of water and even grass!

Those things are totally one hundred percent in Lost as well!

The similarities are UNCANNY.

Daro
April 16th, 2010, 09:10 PM
Oh well, I'm a crazy LOST fan. So, I guess that explains it.

But, I am also a crazy Stargate fan.

I hated BSG and yes I see glimmers of BSG in SGU, but not enough to ruin it for me.

I was a huge BSG fan, and I agree that there are glimmers. But SGU is better, so far. The characters are not all bi-polar, and the plots are not as wild. Plus, I like my science fiction to have some, ya know, science. BSG had practically none, they were careless with things like....orbital insertion trajectery. Which is why Rush saying that line made me laugh. I don't think it was a dig at BSG, but it did remind me of it. Little touches like ships not diving straight down into an atmosphere (good way to explode) make me think that SGU has a solid footing with regard to physics.

Pharaoh Atem
April 16th, 2010, 09:34 PM
i don't remember hearing about a plane crash in faith.

s09119
April 16th, 2010, 09:36 PM
It is clear to me that this episode was influenced by the show LOST.

The beam of light towards the sky was like the beam of light from the hatch in LOST.

There was mention of a plane crash and survivors.

In a word: no.

Loheat
April 16th, 2010, 09:37 PM
i don't remember hearing about a plane crash in faith.

It was when the "Atheist Civilian" said something like the plane you missed crashed isnt God, its just **** happens.

I agree there may have been nods to Lost, but I dont agree that the episode would have been any different if there were no Lost.

Replicator Todd
April 16th, 2010, 09:39 PM
Never have watched LOST so I can;t really agree or disagree.

Commander Zelix
April 16th, 2010, 10:13 PM
I think this thread is a perfect opportunity to bring back my now infamous "Universe is a Lost rip off" post:

Universe is a rip off of Lost:

- They both about a group of people stranded on a ship/island to which they can't escape.
-They are both the wrong people at the wrong places
- Both the Destiny ship and the Island have some mystery.
- The Destiny ship travel through space while the Lost island travel through time. But we know with the relativity theory that time and space are actually the same thing.
- Scott = Jack, his girlfriend Chloe = Kate. They make out but another one is jealous, Eli/Sawyer.
- Rush=Locke. Both believe the Destiny/Island is a disaster which is actually something good for them. They both have ulterior motive.
- Spencer have been seen gathering food just like Hugo. And happens to also takes pills like Charlie.
- Both have mysterious inhabitant. In lost they are called the others and the Destiny the ship we saw them ducking out at the end of an episode (Air 3 i think).
- Both have their backstory related to some ancient earth mythology. Lost=Egypt. Stargate=Egypt, Atlantis etc.
- The main issue for both of the groups is survival and how to get back.
- Both shows combine soapy drama elements with mysterious sci-fi elements.
- Both the Lost Island and the Destiny ship are protected by some form of shield system.
- Both the Lost Island and the Destiny ship seem to have a long history predating the arrival of our people.
- Air 3 desert tornado alien=Blacksmoke entity
- I swear I saw a polar bear somewhere on the Destiny.

DigiFluid
April 16th, 2010, 10:15 PM
I suggest you acquaint yourself with both Swiss Family Robinson and Lord of the Flies.

Pharaoh Atem
April 16th, 2010, 10:15 PM
Never have watched LOST so I can;t really agree or disagree.

awesome show

Daro
April 16th, 2010, 10:21 PM
I suggest you acquaint yourself with both Swiss Family Robinson and Lord of the Flies.

I was about to say the exact same thing. Lost is unique because of the way it combines its characters and plot elements, but every character and plot element in it could be a rip off from a previous story. Originality is like cooking: basically, the grocery store has all the same ingredients. It's how you combine them that makes your version unique. SGU is not a rip off of anything.

Loheat
April 16th, 2010, 10:21 PM
I think this thread is a perfect opportunity to bring back my now infamous "Universe is a Lost rip off" post:

Universe is a rip off of Lost:

- They both about a group of people stranded on a ship/island to which they can't escape.
-They are both the wrong people at the wrong places
- Both the Destiny ship and the Island have some mystery.
- The Destiny ship travel through space while the Lost island travel through time. But we know with the relativity theory that time and space are actually the same thing.
- Scott = Jack, his girlfriend Chloe = Kate. They make out but another one is jealous, Eli/Sawyer.
- Rush=Locke. Both believe the Destiny/Island is a disaster which is actually something good for them. They both have ulterior motive.
- Spencer have been seen gathering food just like Hugo. And happens to also takes pills like Charlie.
- Both have mysterious inhabitant. In lost they are called the others and the Destiny the ship we saw them ducking out at the end of an episode (Air 3 i think).
- Both have their backstory related to some ancient earth mythology. Lost=Egypt. Stargate=Egypt, Atlantis etc.
- The main issue for both of the groups is survival and how to get back.
- Both shows combine soapy drama elements with mysterious sci-fi elements.
- Both the Lost Island and the Destiny ship are protected by some form of shield system.
- Both the Lost Island and the Destiny ship seem to have a long history predating the arrival of our people.
- Air 3 desert tornado alien=Blacksmoke entity
- I swear I saw a polar bear somewhere on the Destiny.

Wow, last time I watched Lost it was a bunch of people on an island...
What the hell happened?

AVFan
April 16th, 2010, 10:51 PM
I can at least agree that this episode reminded me of LOST. Especially with all the references towards fate and/or God. That scientist dude is so Locke lol.

Telemachus
April 17th, 2010, 08:56 AM
Well you should add to the list, that they both have pregnant blonds now also.

Encoder
April 17th, 2010, 09:09 AM
"Come on" :mckay:

Can we PLEASE stop comparing this show with others...it's Sci Fi, there's gonna be overlaps with just about EVERY other Sci Fi show ever made...

You're gonna start the SGU = BSG argument up again!

:sheppard:

MattSilver 3k
April 17th, 2010, 09:31 AM
You're gonna start the SGU = BSG argument up again!

But just look at it, Encoder! SGU has three letters in the acronym, despite having only two words in the title, just like BSG! And both the first words are amalgams of "star" and another word. And the second word - it's on its own!

Stargate Universe. Battlestar Galatica.

It's so obvious that they're copies of each other. And neither came before the other - SGU will eventually time travel and come before BSG, who will then come before SGU by time travel again (I believe we are all living in an alternate timeline where BSG came first!) and then the loop'll continue!

In short, I think it's all bull****.

Lost
April 17th, 2010, 09:48 AM
Well you should add to the list, that they both have pregnant blonds now also.

I wonder who will be abducting the baby in SGU?

Phenom
April 17th, 2010, 11:12 PM
Never watched Lost. Never watched BSG. So I guess this episode reminded me of.....nothing.

thekillman
April 18th, 2010, 10:46 AM
the plane crash thing is part of standard "it's gods hand / not gods hand" discussion. NOTHING to do with lost. besides, there are 1000 trillion games, tv shows and what not that have beams shooting up in the sky. Black and White had beams shooting from the town centers and temples. was it inspired by that, then?

if lost didn't exist the episode would've been identical

Infinite-Possibilities
April 18th, 2010, 10:34 PM
Actually yeah that one scientists did remind me a fair amount of LOST. He kept talking about how they were meant to be here. I almost half expected him to talk about what the island wanted.

Confessor Rahl
April 18th, 2010, 11:03 PM
It's crazy how similar to Lost it was! I mean, there were people, they talked, there were trees, water, even a SKY!

Nuts I know, straight plagiarism actually!

hiro
April 19th, 2010, 12:09 AM
Come on ! Since Lost not everything has to be related to the show ! i saw lost and i didn't like it but i love sgu !

Not everything is related to lost , and not everybody love it !

Daro
April 19th, 2010, 01:30 PM
Come on ! Since Lost not everything has to be related to the show ! i saw lost and i didn't like it but i love sgu !

Not everything is related to lost , and not everybody love it !

Precisely. ^_^

Pharaoh Atem
April 19th, 2010, 02:06 PM
:ronon: it's taken me this long for me to realize you meant LOST the tv show 'self faceplalm"