Seeding of Stargates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seeding of Stargates

If Stargates are being seeded by throughout the galaxy where destiny is, then shouldn't there be another gate that you could dial to from earth in that galaxy? Like the 8 chevron address used to access the Pegasus System. I'm sure the ancients would not have planned on jumping to the ship and then jumping to the galaxy they wanted to visit. If they were seeding the universe with stargates then the logical reason was so that access to those galaxies would be easier. I don't know but I think if the writers are going to send the crew home, I think this might be the way to do it. Find the equivalent of atlantis gate in the pegasus for the current galaxy that they are in.

they didnt know what was out there, so im guessing not.

why allow access to a potentially dangerous place. im sure they could control destiny to get it to stop or just create some program to hop gate to gate to reach that far

Comment

The gate is not the problem, the hard part is generating the amount of power necessary for that long of jump. The Ancients had ZPMs in large quantities, power was not a problem for them; for us it's a different story.
      Carter: "The singularity is about to explode!"

Comment

Originally posted by ngewakl View Post
        If Stargates are being seeded by throughout the galaxy where destiny is, then shouldn't there be another gate that you could dial to from earth in that galaxy? Like the 8 chevron address used to access the Pegasus System.
        There are 63,606,090,240 (id est, ~64 billion) possible 8-chevron addresses on a Milky Way Stargate. There are ~63 million galaxies within a billion light-years of Earth. You might argue that that means that there are roughly 1,000 addresses for each galaxy, but then you have to remember that most of those addresses are going to fall on the voids between galaxies and between groups/clusters.

Additionally, the Destiny is even further away than that, meaning that it is probably outside the range of the ability for an 8-chevron dial.
        "From East Middle School. Suzumiya Haruhi. I have no interest in ordinary humans. If there are any aliens, time travelers, sliders, or espers here, come join me."
        - The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya; Best Character Introduction Ever.

"And can we lose the ten thousand year old dead plants?!"
        - Stargate: Atlantis (1x03) "Hide and Seek"

"Hammerheads do not load/unload units immediately – they must descend to ground level first. Initial experiments involving jump-jetting infantry into the Hammerhead’s cargo compartment met with unfortunate results."
        - Command&Conquer 3: Kane's Wrath Hammerhead Unit Spotlight

Comment

The address to dial destiny is not all function, the 9th chevron is a passcode to get onto destiny not a distance calculation. The reason dialing Destiny is such a power drain is because destiny is so far away from earth.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ngewakl View Post
            If Stargates are being seeded by throughout the galaxy where destiny is, then shouldn't there be another gate that you could dial to from earth in that galaxy? Like the 8 chevron address used to access the Pegasus System. I'm sure the ancients would not have planned on jumping to the ship and then jumping to the galaxy they wanted to visit. If they were seeding the universe with stargates then the logical reason was so that access to those galaxies would be easier. I don't know but I think if the writers are going to send the crew home, I think this might be the way to do it. Find the equivalent of atlantis gate in the pegasus for the current galaxy that they are in.
            While that MIGHT work to gate INTO those galaxies from earth, since these gates are limited in their power/functionality, it would not work gating back.

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
              While that MIGHT work to gate INTO those galaxies from earth, since these gates are limited in their power/functionality, it would not work gating back.
              ^^ also you would be stuck on some planet in the cold untill destiny can find you.
              sigpic

Comment

True.. BUT If we knew say, a 4 addy window ahead of the destiny, we could 'bridge' to one of those and await it.

Comment

Yah but in that time you would need to be out in the cold on some planet that you have no idea about. thats why destiny was built. Its like a safe house in the stars. If a planet becomes un-inhabitable and its the only base in that part of the universe then the mission cannot go ahead and therefore is a failure . . . . but thats what i think.
                  sigpic

Comment

It could be that the Ancients were going to gate to Destiny, collect all of the information and transmit it back to earth (where they supposedly sent Destiny from, and they must have been able to send computer info all that way, if they can send real time human consciousness then surely they can send computer info on the planets) and then use their more powerful power sources to dial each galaxy, depending on the info given from Destiny. Though does Destiny compensate for millions of years of a planet's change? Or would they know know what it was like x million years ago?

Comment

That makes me wonder if there is indeed a Full on ancient Comm Stones device on the ship, and we just have not found it.

Comment

Originally posted by traylormatt View Post
                        It could be that the Ancients were going to gate to Destiny, collect all of the information and transmit it back to earth (where they supposedly sent Destiny from, and they must have been able to send computer info all that way, if they can send real time human consciousness then surely they can send computer info on the planets) and then use their more powerful power sources to dial each galaxy, depending on the info given from Destiny. Though does Destiny compensate for millions of years of a planet's change? Or would they know know what it was like x million years ago?
                        Yah but when the ancients were going to gate to destiny its power system would have been fairly new and even if it wasn’t they could have fixed it. So dialling earth wouldn’t have been an issue for the ancients. I’m fairly sure that’s how they would have sent the info. That being said I agree completely, the ancients can swap consciousness across the universe I’m sure they can send an info package in a burst.
                        sigpic

Comment

What I am quite curious about now is actually (and sorry if this has been discussed in other threads) do we definitely know that there were NEVER any people on board, at all during Destiny's mission. I say because obviously the lifesupport seems to have been nearly drained (seems like a flawed system to have it constantly running even though no one was on board, surely there would have been a way to only kick start that system once a wormhole is detected. ANYWAY, what I was thinking is maybe the ancients sent out the seed ships, once they got past the first galaxy (do we know this was not Pegasus, like do we know Destiny did not go through pegasus?) I was thinking maybe they send out the seed ships then got the data back and sent Destiny to that galaxy (whilst the seed ships were going to the next galaxy) and they checked out that galaxy etc then gated back home (as you would assume they could do) wait for the ship to clear the next void and then gate to Destiny again. Do this for each of the galaxies. Maybe assessing what is going on in those galaxies, maybe seeding newer gates like the milkyway ones or the pegasus ones etc. Then at some point they had to stop doing this because of the plague, war with wriath, I don't know. They had to stop for some reason.

Comment

The only evidence we've ever had of people possibly being on Destiny before us, is the lack of a third shuttle on its landing pad.

Shuttle #1 - Is Rileys tomb
                            Shuttle #2 - had the busted window, was where the Sneator died and was thus repaired and left on the 'Faith' planet
                            Shuttle #3 - Unlike the other 2, it just wasnt there when we arrived.

The missing shuttle could be for any number of reasons, its just a possibility it was taken by the original inhabitants.

N.C

Comment

Well i dont really think that Destiny missing a shuttle is a sign that people were there, i think its more like something hit the ship and knocked the docking clamp. this would cause the shuttle not to jump and BAM no more 3rd shuttle. Also the Life support may not be working because of all the CO2 given off by the shields being bombarded by the blueberry aliens. but i agree that the ancients MIGHT have been onboard for a short while to make sure everything worked properly (a little like the trials a new ship needs to go through before being able to sail.) I do really hope we get to see Destiny when it was first launched at some point in the show. WE NEED MORE BACK STORY DAMN IT
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X