Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did the ancients co-exist with the dinosaurs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did the ancients co-exist with the dinosaurs?

Ok probably not... but they were close! We know the ancients colonized earth about 50 million years ago (http://stargate.wikia.com/wiki/Before_19th_Century) and we know that the mass extinction event was approximately 66.4 million years ago. (http://atropos.as.arizona.edu/aiz/te...l_timeline.gif)

This was enough to get me thinking... that earth was vastly different when the ancients arrived then what we know of it now.

There is a good 15 million year difference between the Anicents coming to Earth and the Dinoaurs being wiped out. It's also been shown that Dakara was the first landing site of the Ancients in the Milky Way (according the Ark of Truth) so even if they came to this galaxy before the Dinosaurs were wiped out, they could have been in a completely different part of the galaxy.

I'd also think the Ancients would have been able to stop the asteroid in the first place, so I doubt they were around.

sigpic

Comment

unless they were the ones who wiped the dinosaurs out!

Comment

Originally posted by The_Austin View Post
        unless they were the ones who wiped the dinosaurs out!
        If you give me a hint of a good reason to why the heck they would do that, I believe you.
        When a distinguished but elderly scientist states that something is possible, he is almost certainly right. When he states that something is impossible, he is very probably wrong.-Arthur C. Clarke

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology -Carl Sagan

Comment

Originally posted by Morganrone93 View Post
          If you give me a hint of a good reason to why the heck they would do that, I believe you.
          it should be easily conceivable that the ancients may have killed the dinosaurs to let humans thrive.
          R.I.P Stargate 1994-2009

Comment

mayne their ship crashed on earth, the ancients got out in escapoe pods, btu the ship crashed and caused a big explosion

Comment

Well if you were an ancient on Earth all those years ago, those pesky man eating dinosaurs would sure ruin the beautiful evening sunset strolls. Only thing to do would be to get rid of the buggas.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by asdf1239 View Post
                it should be easily conceivable that the ancients may have killed the dinosaurs to let humans thrive.
                Okay, now I believe him, as promised.

*darn*
                When a distinguished but elderly scientist states that something is possible, he is almost certainly right. When he states that something is impossible, he is very probably wrong.-Arthur C. Clarke

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology -Carl Sagan

Comment

15 million years is a really really really really long time... Like a really really really really really really really long time
                  I dunno what to put in here now..

Comment

Also modern humans have only been around for 50-100,000 years. If you count the earliest hominins that's still only 5-7 million years ago. I don't think they thought so far ahead, not then.
                    Carter: "The singularity is about to explode!"

Comment

Originally posted by Mike. View Post
                      Also modern humans have only been around for 50-100,000 years. If you count the earliest hominins that's still only 5-7 million years ago. I don't think they thought so far ahead, not then.
                      that just shows that the ancients laid the seeds of out speices before they left for pegasus. as we found out later on, with the dakara device, they reseeded the galaxy and then left, which would indicate their is a possibility the ancients created the ancestors of the goa'uld.

in any case they may have been here with the dinosaurs, but if a meteor did hit the earth, and all evidence says it did, they would have died, or at least abandoned earth after it, so they would have come after.

also they would have just shot the metoer before it hit earth anyway

Comment

honestly i dont think that the ancients would just wipe the dinosuars just so that the human race can live besides the ancients shields would prevent anything from coming into their cities especially flesh eating testosterone big fat animals to kill them

Comment

No, they couldn't have co-existed with the Dinos, unless you count birds. That said, perhaps SGU will explain one thing to me: why did the Ancients consider Earth so important. After all, its where they built Atlantis, and launched Destiny from. What's so special about Earth? (hope not to hijack the thread just had to give my two cents.)

Comment

Oldest gates on earth about 50 million years old, Destiny predates that. So when did they come to earth?

Comment

Before then, when MW still had SGU style gates (that were later replaced).
                              Carter: "The singularity is about to explode!"

Comment

Working...
                              X