What About Babies?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What About Babies?

A lot of people on the Destiny are having a lot of sex. More than we're used to in the Gateverse. And of course they've only got whatever birth control they happened to have on them when they left Icarus. And they can't hop off to the local drugstore for more.

So what happens if someone on the show gets pregnant? That seems almost inevitable, given the 'things just keep going wrong' nature of this show. Are their babies in the future of the ship? How would they handle that?
    Sincerely,

Kevin Long
    (The Artist Formerly Known As Republibot 3.0)
    http://www.kevin-long.com

Spoiler:
    Looks like TJ has been seen potentially pregnant due to Huffman's latest addition to her family - so lets wait and see!

Comment

Unprotected sex doesn't cause pregnancy, just a lack of drama. So I'd expect them to have full on orgies and people on Destiny still wouldn't worry about it because there is enough drama going on. Once things slows down, then someone will get pregnant.

It will probably end up being Chloe because it adds drama between Scott and Eli. It shouldn't be TJ or Young's wife Emily because the chance of drama is much less because you it wouldn't be as dramatic since all involved are several galaxies apart and stones can only have so much dramatic effect.

sigpic

Comment

I think that is one of those things that will just have to be ignored and move on.

@SupremeLegate
        Apogee Institute
        Council

Congito, ergo sum - congito

Comment

I don’t think the women aboard Destiny have lost their sense of time completely, so the babies aren’t to be a problem any soon.
          And I don’t think the writers’ sense of realism stretch so far anyway.
          Everything will be okay in the end.
          If it's not okay, it's not the end.

Comment

Originally posted by Rodney_Mckay View Post
            Spoiler:
            Looks like TJ has been seen potentially pregnant due to Huffman's latest addition to her family - so lets wait and see!
            Interesting. Good to know. Thank you!
            Sincerely,

Kevin Long

Comment

The show seems to be focusing on human drama and realistic characters more than the others have. Unplanned pregnancies happen all the time, *including* in the military. Seems to me it's likely to happen simply because it's realistic, and it's an added level of complexity to everyone's life.
              Sincerely,

Kevin Long

Comment

Originally posted by Republibot 3.0 View Post
                Unplanned pregnancies happen all the time, *including* in the military. Seems to me it's likely to happen simply because it's realistic, and it's an added level of complexity to everyone's life.
                Oh yes, the higher level of complexity is what they’re dying for right now, because life aboard the ancient (and antique) ship is so dull and so ordinary thing
                I’m sorry, but I’d call it a soap opera rather than “realistic”.

Comment

I think it's more realistic then a soup oprea, but each their own. As to the question, no way. I don't want to see babies on the show. Cause then you'll have the baby get kidnapped, turn around show up later as a bad guy...oh wait they did this on Stargate . j/k That is one of the reasons I don't wanna see a baby, I don't wanna see it later used against them or the baby is sick they have to find a cure.

I think they have enough to deal with, and so my answer is no

Comment

I don’t want to see “fathers and sons” issues passing into pubertal problems.
                    Seriously, babies = natural disaster

Comment

Originally posted by tessa View Post
                      I don’t want to see “fathers and sons” issues passing into pubertal problems.
                      Seriously, babies = natural disaster
                      I agree with you on that. They brought a baby onto CSI NY and every time Lucifer...err Lucy is mentioned its like...not amused. So it probably be the same with this show as well.

Comment

there's going to have to be kids eventually. you can't be stuck on that ship for the rest of your life and not have sex at some point. it's not like condoms were a priority
                        https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Originally posted by Pharaoh Atem View Post
                          you can't be stuck on that ship for the rest of your life
                          You are a pessimist

Comment

*I think a set of twins would be Awesome!
                            Last edited by Spimman; 09 September 2010, 09:49 AM.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Spimman View Post
                              Woman only ovulate for like 48 hours a month and factoring in a few other variables have about 4-5 days a month to "possibly" get pregnant.

That being said, it still usually takes time when you are trying. If a woman avoid those days (which are easy to track) then she could avoid getting pregnant.
                              In theory But in practice it isn't that easy to pick the 'soon-to-be-mother' days, not to every woman at least. It requires steady menstruation cycle and/or LH tests and/or temperature tests. Not to mention self control Also swimmers can live days in woman and it isn't exactly known how long, which makes it difficult to know when sex is 'safe' again. One ovulation a bit too early or a drunken miscalculation and a girl is knitting cute small pink clothes

Even when the method may be useful to some people (I have read references to studies that claim that the method can be as effective as many modern methods), it very doubtfully is it to every sexually active woman in Destiny is able to do the math correctly enough, not in long term at least. The stressful situation probably messing with their menstruation cycles surely isn't helping at all, and I don't think LH tests were a priority neither

Comment

Working...
                              X