PDA

View Full Version : What About Babies?

Republibot 3.0
April 14th, 2010, 05:55 AM
A lot of people on the Destiny are having a lot of sex. More than we're used to in the Gateverse. And of course they've only got whatever birth control they happened to have on them when they left Icarus. And they can't hop off to the local drugstore for more.

So what happens if someone on the show gets pregnant? That seems almost inevitable, given the 'things just keep going wrong' nature of this show. Are their babies in the future of the ship? How would they handle that?

Rodney_Mckay
April 14th, 2010, 06:22 AM
Looks like TJ has been seen potentially pregnant due to Huffman's latest addition to her family - so lets wait and see!

SaberBlade
April 14th, 2010, 08:20 AM
Unprotected sex doesn't cause pregnancy, just a lack of drama. So I'd expect them to have full on orgies and people on Destiny still wouldn't worry about it because there is enough drama going on. Once things slows down, then someone will get pregnant.

It will probably end up being Chloe because it adds drama between Scott and Eli. It shouldn't be TJ or Young's wife Emily because the chance of drama is much less because you it wouldn't be as dramatic since all involved are several galaxies apart and stones can only have so much dramatic effect.

SupremeLegate
April 14th, 2010, 09:15 AM
I think that is one of those things that will just have to be ignored and move on.

tessa
April 14th, 2010, 10:25 AM
I don’t think the women aboard Destiny have lost their sense of time completely, so the babies aren’t to be a problem any soon.
And I don’t think the writers’ sense of realism stretch so far anyway.

Republibot 3.0
April 15th, 2010, 10:21 AM
Looks like TJ has been seen potentially pregnant due to Huffman's latest addition to her family - so lets wait and see!

Interesting. Good to know. Thank you!

Republibot 3.0
April 15th, 2010, 10:23 AM
The show seems to be focusing on human drama and realistic characters more than the others have. Unplanned pregnancies happen all the time, *including* in the military. Seems to me it's likely to happen simply because it's realistic, and it's an added level of complexity to everyone's life.

tessa
April 15th, 2010, 10:46 AM
Unplanned pregnancies happen all the time, *including* in the military. Seems to me it's likely to happen simply because it's realistic, and it's an added level of complexity to everyone's life.
Oh yes, the higher level of complexity is what they’re dying for right now, because life aboard the ancient (and antique) ship is so dull and so ordinary thing :cool:
I’m sorry, but I’d call it a soap opera rather than “realistic”.

CCA
April 15th, 2010, 10:52 AM
I think it's more realistic then a soup oprea, but each their own. As to the question, no way. I don't want to see babies on the show. Cause then you'll have the baby get kidnapped, turn around show up later as a bad guy...oh wait they did this on Stargate ;). j/k That is one of the reasons I don't wanna see a baby, I don't wanna see it later used against them or the baby is sick they have to find a cure.

I think they have enough to deal with, and so my answer is no ;)

tessa
April 15th, 2010, 11:16 AM
I don’t want to see “fathers and sons” issues passing into pubertal problems.
Seriously, babies = natural disaster :cool:

CCA
April 15th, 2010, 12:15 PM
I don’t want to see “fathers and sons” issues passing into pubertal problems.
Seriously, babies = natural disaster :cool:

I agree with you on that. They brought a baby onto CSI NY and every time Lucifer...err Lucy is mentioned its like...not amused. So it probably be the same with this show as well.

Pharaoh Atem
April 15th, 2010, 09:27 PM
there's going to have to be kids eventually. you can't be stuck on that ship for the rest of your life and not have sex at some point. it's not like condoms were a priority

tessa
April 15th, 2010, 11:48 PM
you can't be stuck on that ship for the rest of your life
You are a pessimist ;)

Spimman
April 16th, 2010, 06:54 AM
*I think a set of twins would be Awesome! ;);)

FromOutside
April 17th, 2010, 09:12 AM
Woman only ovulate for like 48 hours a month and factoring in a few other variables have about 4-5 days a month to "possibly" get pregnant.

That being said, it still usually takes time when you are trying. If a woman avoid those days (which are easy to track) then she could avoid getting pregnant.

In theory :) But in practice it isn't that easy to pick the 'soon-to-be-mother' days, not to every woman at least. It requires steady menstruation cycle and/or LH tests and/or temperature tests. Not to mention self control :P Also swimmers can live days in woman and it isn't exactly known how long, which makes it difficult to know when sex is 'safe' again. One ovulation a bit too early or a drunken miscalculation and a girl is knitting cute small pink clothes :P

Even when the method may be useful to some people (I have read references to studies that claim that the method can be as effective as many modern methods), it very doubtfully is it to every sexually active woman in Destiny is able to do the math correctly enough, not in long term at least. The stressful situation probably messing with their menstruation cycles surely isn't helping at all, and I don't think LH tests were a priority neither :)

Republibot 3.0
April 17th, 2010, 03:44 PM
Well, you know, I figured I'd be right eventually, but I didn't figure I'd be right this quickly. Wow!

The Swarm
April 21st, 2010, 12:38 AM
Nah , no more baby's please.... Scott realy cant even handle the one(s) on Earth.

kusanagi
April 21st, 2010, 08:41 AM
Nah , no more baby's please.... Scott realy cant even handle the one(s) on Earth.

:lol:

Meshakhad
April 21st, 2010, 01:39 PM
Eventually, TJ's pregancy will become public knowledge. There will be much suspicion about the identity of the father. If that becomes public knowledge, there will be more demand for Young to step down - and he may not be able to count on military support.

But once the baby is born, everyone will unite around TJ and help her take care of the baby.

gatefanjo-m
April 28th, 2010, 01:00 PM
I'd forgotten about Scott's kid. It'd be nice if they refer to him again at some point, just for continuity's sake. Maybe it'll come up in the forthcoming episodes
that deal with TJ's pregnancy more. Scott did say he'd be there for her.

BeemersMommy
April 29th, 2010, 10:30 PM
I have a feeling the father thing will keep quiet for a while and she will lie about it. I can't wait to see more. I do wish it was a bit more family friendly. My 3 year old loves Elyse and calls her pretty girl, they meet at the Creation Con a week ago. We were watching and he said hey it's pretty girl. Got to love my boy, he sure knows how to pick them!

Cory Holmes
May 7th, 2010, 09:07 PM
So what did you people think about how people were treating TJ now that her secret is out? I thought it was nice how Greer asked how she was doing after the explosion.

Lt.Colonel John Sheppard
May 7th, 2010, 10:12 PM
Scotts kid will show up next week in Pain

Egle01
May 9th, 2010, 05:16 AM
Spoilers, dude?? :(

xxxevilgrinxxx
May 14th, 2010, 07:49 AM
there's going to have to be kids eventually. you can't be stuck on that ship for the rest of your life and not have sex at some point. it's not like condoms were a priorityIt's human nature, especially under the situations they are in. Any protection they had would run out at some point, even if women (or men, let's not be sexist :) ) had injectible long term contraceptives before going to Icarus, those will become ineffective at some point.

Well I'll speak as someone who has had it both ways.

Having sex using protection correctly rarely results in babies.

That being said, just because you stop using birth control doesn't equal babies. Woman only ovulate for like 48 hours a month and factoring in a few other variables have about 4-5 days a month to "possibly" get pregnant.

That being said, it still usually takes time when you are trying. If a woman avoid those days (which are easy to track) then she could avoid getting pregnant.

All that being said, people usually don't track that stuff unless they are trying to have a baby and that's why we have so many surprises! We keep saying there is a lot of sex going on...I disagree. It looks more like about 10 people on board might be having some sex.

*I think a set of twins would be Awesome! ;);)There's also the extreme duress that these people are under. Lack of proper nutrition and stress can mess with menstruation and ovulation, so while they are in the circumstances they are in, it's an even slimmer chance. If TJ wasn't already pregnant, the reality of living on Destiny might have made it impossible in any case.

I have a feeling the father thing will keep quiet for a while and she will lie about it. I can't wait to see more. I do wish it was a bit more family friendly. My 3 year old loves Elyse and calls her pretty girl, they meet at the Creation Con a week ago. We were watching and he said hey it's pretty girl. Got to love my boy, he sure knows how to pick them!TJ doesn't strike me as a person that will lie about things. Even with Wray, she avoided telling all the truth, which isn't the same as lying. I'm sure a good number of the crew likely have managed to put together who the father is, providing they didn't already know (Scott, Park, Chloe, for example. I'd add Greer in there. Greer doesn't miss much.)

So what did you people think about how people were treating TJ now that her secret is out? I thought it was nice how Greer asked how she was doing after the explosion.TJ is "one of theirs" and everyone seems to have taken her under their wing no matter what "side" (ugh) they happen to be on.

phoenixfangor
May 14th, 2010, 08:56 PM
There's also the extreme duress that these people are under. Lack of proper nutrition and stress can mess with menstruation and ovulation, so while they are in the circumstances they are in, it's an even slimmer chance. If TJ wasn't already pregnant, the reality of living on Destiny might have made it impossible in any case.

I was just going to make that point as well. I don't think it will always be that way though, but before we get successful pregnancies, there are going to be some miscarriages, I'd expect (this would coincide with the drama-factor).

Logically speaking, there are so many issues with having a baby on that ship. A) rationing, B) Immunizations (Even regular Earth stuff) C) Lack of education and similarly, lack of playmates. Let alone the risks of pregnancy itself in such a high-stress environment.

SG7
May 14th, 2010, 09:27 PM
TJ is "one of theirs" and everyone seems to have taken her under their wing no matter what "side" (ugh) they happen to be on.

Agreed. TJ appears to have found friends among both the civillians and the Military. And I think we will see most people on board Destiny willing to be there to help her out where they can.

Just watched "Sabotaged" again and I thought it was really sweet of Greer to ask TJ if she was ok. And I could see TJ caress her abdomen as if she wasn't really 100%. Though I think that she was just not letting on that she wasn't feeling as good so that she could help the others without Greer or anyone else fussing over her.

xxxevilgrinxxx
May 14th, 2010, 09:40 PM
Agreed. TJ appears to have found friends among both the civillians and the Military. And I think we will see most people on board Destiny willing to be there to help her out where they can.

Just watched "Sabotaged" again and I thought it was really sweet of Greer to ask TJ if she was ok. And I could see TJ caress her abdomen as if she wasn't really 100%. Though I think that she was just not letting on that she wasn't feeling as good so that she could help the others without Greer or anyone else fussing over her.

that's a hard thing when you don't want the fuss but your belly is like a big sign saying "Fuss Over Me!!"

Taiko
May 15th, 2010, 01:23 PM
These are not just random women LOST on an airplane flight from Australia to America. They were recruited and accepted an assignment to get on a starship and fly to Icarus for who knows how long. Their birth control is more likely to be of the 5 year norplant implants or relatively indefinite IUDs rather then a few month supply of pills or single use condoms

phoenixfangor
May 15th, 2010, 04:32 PM
These are not just random women LOST on an airplane flight from Australia to America. They were recruited and accepted an assignment to get on a starship and fly to Icarus for who knows how long. Their birth control is more likely to be of the 5 year norplant implants or relatively indefinite IUDs rather then a few month supply of pills or single use condoms

I do not believe those are standard issue because "Special Order 1" is _no sex_ outside of the great country of America. However, if any of them asked their base doc for one, it's gratis AND pretty much no questions asked (besides medically pertinent ones), and would be smart of them.

T.J. being a prime example: obviously not on birth control; especially because Colonel Young didn't ask about it when she told him she was pregnant.

Merlin's_Legacy
May 17th, 2010, 03:30 PM
My bizarre mind just started wondering "What would happen if they decided to send the baby back to earth via the LRC stones?" In other words, have the baby swap bodies with somebody back on earth.... That way the "baby" would at least be potty trained and be able to think for itself and take care of itself within it's physical limits, of course.

Now if I were really a cruel SOB I'd say swap the baby with Telford. Would be hilariously appropriate on both fronts.

SG7
May 18th, 2010, 03:18 PM
Now if I were really a cruel SOB I'd say swap the baby with Telford. Would be hilariously appropriate on both fronts.

Umm. Not sure what to say to that! And if Emily is shagging Telford, then it would definately be awkward for the next romp, when her mind is filled with having seen him as a baby the day before or whatever. ;)

gildor23
June 4th, 2010, 09:03 AM
Oh thats great! I didn't know the actress was pregnant. Hopefully the character will just misscarry and stargate can remain child free! I can't stand child characters unless they are just one episode characters.

shipper hannah
June 5th, 2010, 09:44 AM
Their birth control is more likely to be of the 5 year norplant implants or relatively indefinite IUDs rather then a few month supply of pills or single use condoms

I agree. If you're a woman and away for a long period of time, like on Icarus base or what have you, it only sensible to get a contraceptive implant.

FromOutside
June 12th, 2010, 01:20 PM

Icarus base had a Stargate. We know Eli and Chloe arrived by a starship, maybe to make the experience something even more spectacular and because they were in no hurry, but I find it likely that many other civilians arrived by Stargate and were only visiting the base. They just didn't act like they were going to spent a long time far from home but like they were visiting the neighbors and going back to home soon.

Also the base was supplied from Earth so I don't see why they couldn't send pills among other stuff. After all, no one planned to end up stuck on Destiny and the possible dangers the crew thought likely didn't make them think their birth control during the situation :P

Of course I can be wrong but this it the feeling I had when people were dining before the whole mess begin :) I'd love to know more - it is a bit irritating how little we know of Icarus base, what the crew members were doing on it etc! And not only to speculate the birth control methods the women on board use :P

xxxevilgrinxxx
June 12th, 2010, 01:29 PM
Icarus base had a Stargate. We know Eli and Chloe arrived by a starship, maybe to make the experience something even more spectacular and because they were in no hurry, but I find it likely that many other civilians arrived by Stargate and were only visiting the base. They just didn't act like they were going to spent a long time far from home but like they were visiting the neighbors and going back to home soon.

Also the base was supplied from Earth so I don't see why they couldn't send pills among other stuff. After all, no one planned to end up stuck on Destiny and the possible dangers the crew thought likely didn't make them think their birth control during the situation :P

Of course I can be wrong but this it the feeling I had when people were dining before the whole mess begin :) I'd love to know more - it is a bit irritating how little we know of Icarus base, what the crew members were doing on it etc! And not only to speculate the birth control methods the women on board use :P

The Icarus Base stargate was configured to only dial out because of the danger posed by the core. I agree that most people didn't believe that they would be staying that long. For those stationed on the base, perhaps whatever method they used was in their quarters as they wouldn't expect to be having sexual relations if they were only off-world for a short time? If SGU is taking place in our current time, implantable BC is definitely possible but how prevalent would it be?

FromOutside
June 12th, 2010, 02:48 PM
The Icarus Base stargate was configured to only dial out because of the danger posed by the core. I agree that most people didn't believe that they would be staying that long. For those stationed on the base, perhaps whatever method they used was in their quarters as they wouldn't expect to be having sexual relations if they were only off-world for a short time? If SGU is taking place in our current time, implantable BC is definitely possible but how prevalent would it be?

Oh? That explains many things :P I admit, I knitted through the first episode and missed that explanation :)

Because I haven't got a life I did some not that fast googling and found out many... lets say, interesting facts of birth control (or lack of) in USA. :eek:

I also found what I was searching:

Method used % of women

Oral contraceptives 45%
Injectable contraceptive 17%
Condom 13%
No method 7%
Unknown 4%
Pregnant 5%
Sterilization 3%
Other 2%
Spermicidal foam; contraceptive film 1%
IUD 1%
Hormone implant 0%
Cervical cap 0%
Natural methods 0%
Diaphragm 0%

This is a copy paste from http://www.religioustolerance.org/abo_contra.htm but it says the data is from Family Planning Annual Report: 2001 Summary, http://www.agi-usa.org/pubs/FPAR2001.pdf (page 31). I checked some numbers and they mached.

Anyway, injections and implants don't seem to be very popular in USA. Ofc this likely isn't similar than the statistics on Destiny would be but I think I gives some solid ground for speculations :P

xxxevilgrinxxx
June 12th, 2010, 02:56 PM
Oh? That explains many things :P I admit, I knitted through the first episode and missed that explanation :)

Because I haven't got a life I did some not that fast googling and found out many... lets say, interesting facts of birth control (or lack of) in USA. :eek:

I also found what I was searching:

Method used % of women

Oral contraceptives 45%
Condom 13%
No method 7%
Unknown 4%
Pregnant 5%
Sterilization 3%
Other 2%
Spermicidal foam; contraceptive film 1%
IUD 1%
Hormone implant 0%
Cervical cap 0%
Natural methods 0%
Diaphragm 0%

This is a copy paste from http://www.religioustolerance.org/abo_contra.htm but it says the data is from Family Planning Annual Report: 2001 Summary, http://www.agi-usa.org/pubs/FPAR2001.pdf (page 31). I checked some numbers and they mached.

Anyway, injections and implants don't seem to be very popular in USA. Ofc this likely isn't similar than the statistics on Destiny would be but I think I gives some solid ground for speculations :P

Sterilization 3%
IUD 1%
Hormone implant 0%

so, for women using BC at all, the women using a method that is likely to last for any length of time runs around 18%. We can hope that the military is more pragmatic about this problem and that female soldiers are using an injectible form but that's only a hope on my part. It still doesn't include the scientific segment.

Eith TJ finds some sort of plant based contraceptive or stress/diet will keep pregnancy down, or we're going to have babies everywhere. I don't look forward to a Young briefing in the gateroom or wherever about the importance of not getting pregnant, :lol:

Sevenofnine
June 12th, 2010, 10:19 PM
Just like to add a thought here - it seems that a lot are assuming that the women are using some type of contraceptive, what if she decides she does not want to pollute her body with chemicals, and wants her body to run as it should without intervention from drugs. And I really don't think the army can tell their female solders that they have to have a needle just to control conception.

I think the whole idea would be interesting as one can expect issues to occur when living in confined space, and having children around should make the adults behave a lot better because they have to look to the future of not only themselves but the next generation.

But after yesterdays episode, it will be interesting to see what happens.:(

FromOutside
June 13th, 2010, 02:40 AM
I don't look forward to a Young briefing in the gateroom or wherever about the importance of not getting pregnant, :lol:

I'd love to see it :lol:

Just like to add a thought here - it seems that a lot are assuming that the women are using some type of contraceptive, what if she decides she does not want to pollute her body with chemicals, and wants her body to run as it should without intervention from drugs. And I really don't think the army can tell their female solders that they have to have a needle just to control conception.

I think the whole idea would be interesting as one can expect issues to occur when living in confined space, and having children around should make the adults behave a lot better because they have to look to the future of not only themselves but the next generation.

I don't feel that Destiny is that much confined space. The ship is huge even with the limitations of accessibility, the crew members are few and people have their own rooms. Either than that, I don't argue :P I'd like to see children on board. The responsibility, practical problems... If it is going to be about usual people battling with the hostile environment, there should be children. They are a big part of life when it comes to the 'normal people'.

The ones who don't want to have drugs would likely just use barrier methods if they have no beliefs that don't allow then to use birth control. I'd love to see these people (the ones with the beliefs that is) on board too but I don't think we ever will because the subject is politically difficult from many angles. (Which is exactly why I want to see it dealt with :P)

phoenixfangor
June 14th, 2010, 04:46 PM
I'd love to see it :lol:

I don't feel that Destiny is that much confined space. The ship is huge even with the limitations of accessibility, the crew members are few and people have their own rooms. Either than that, I don't argue :P I'd like to see children on board. The responsibility, practical problems... If it is going to be about usual people battling with the hostile environment, there should be children. They are a big part of life when it comes to the 'normal people'.

The ones who don't want to have drugs would likely just use barrier methods if they have no beliefs that don't allow then to use birth control. I'd love to see these people (the ones with the beliefs that is) on board too but I don't think we ever will because the subject is politically difficult from many angles. (Which is exactly why I want to see it dealt with :P)

Stargate doesn't have a record of tackling political issues that aren't already dead and settled, like slavery. That said, it doesn't mean they can't start. I just don't see it being terribly likely.

Cory Holmes
June 14th, 2010, 05:10 PM
Stargate doesn't have a record of tackling political issues that aren't already dead and settled, like slavery. That said, it doesn't mean they can't start. I just don't see it being terribly likely.

I doubt it as well. Just look at the flak they took for daring to add some sex into the show? Imagine the howling masses for daring to include topical poilitics!

brotymo
June 14th, 2010, 05:19 PM
I like the whole "oh crap, I'm pregnant, and its complicated" storyline. It is reality. (Yep, I am pregnant and it, too is complicated right now).

Real life is messy! I am glad they get into all that on the show.

And, not every woman, (me for example) can use a hormonal type of birth control. They make me violently ill. I tried many others before I resorted to more permanent tubal ligation 12 years ago when my youngest child was born. Imagine my surprise to find myself pregnant in my 40's! single, and the man is...yep...married. Don't judge...it would take a week to give the back story so folks could understand.

I find myself having quite a bit in common with TJ (except the whole stuck in the far corners of space part and hopefully NOT getting shot!)