PDA

View Full Version : A Surgeon/Proper Science Team

Orion475
April 13th, 2010, 04:35 PM
The stones were used for something quite cool when they needed the surgeon. Don't they need people to help them get home or to study the Destiny.

Remember when Rush said "If he had properly skilled team to do research..."

Why doesn't he propose that people can use the stones and switch bodies with people who are experts in all things Ancient for a period of time.

Do you guys also think that Daniel will switch bodies with someone and get on the Destiny

Daro
April 13th, 2010, 06:03 PM
The stones were used for something quite cool when they needed the surgeon. Don't they need people to help them get home or to study the Destiny.

Why doesn't he propose that people can use the stones and switch bodies with people who are experts in all things Ancient for a period of time.

Do you guys also think that Daniel will switch bodies with someone and get on the Destiny

I think that more scientists and other professionals will use the stones, and I would bet money that Daniel shows up eventually. I can't imagine he'd be pleased at the situation he will find.

But the practical reasons for not using the stones constantly are also there. From a story perspective, it creates many stories that are like "Life," which was by most accounts the worst episode so far. It also distances the viewer from the characters onboard Destiny. At the end of the day, the story is about them.

From an in-story position, the stones have proven to be unreliable. They short out, and also the aliens have one. All that has to happen is for one very clever alien to figure out how to immitate a human being sufficiently, and then he's inside the Destiny with access to all kinds of information and systems. While those blue aliens have a stone, using them will always be a risk. I personally would love for just the situation I described to occur. It may give us an opportunity to learn more about the aliens, and might also provide an interesting villain (or unlikely hero, even.)

prion
April 13th, 2010, 08:23 PM

I don't think so (Daniel on Destiny). While SGU is stuntcasting some SG1 folk into the series (such as Dr. Brightman) Im' hoping they keep it to a minimum. Plus, all the actors are going off to other shows (Tapping on Sanctuary, Browder now on Hellcats, etc. etc.)

but anyway, it was nice to see them FINALLY bring in an actual physician. TJ is a medic. They can only do so much due to limited training. THey're trained to keep people alive until they get to the doctors.

escyos
April 14th, 2010, 01:12 AM
im guessing that they have the right sort of people on board, just not the right people. they scientists might be uneasy under pressure and such and they dont have the right supplies, itd be like having them bring over carter to fix a hole in the hull and give her glue and paper....it cant be done

FallenAngelII
April 14th, 2010, 01:56 AM
I have only one problem with Dr. What's-Her-Face swooping in using Chloe's body like it was nothing.

For one thing, they weren't the same height, they were not built the same (Chloe's skinnier), their hands weren't the exact same size and neither were their fingers (size, length, thickness, etc.). Chloe doesn't have the same scars, callouses, eyesight (does Chloe have 20/20? Or maybe a bit of astigmatism, which would seriously screw up someone's vision if they went from non-astigmatism to astigmatism in a matter of seconds), etc. that Dr. What's-Her-Face has. In other words, it would've been very easy for Dr. What's-Her-Face to slip a bit or something.

Yet she just swooped in, took over Chloe's body and acted like she had absolutely no problems instantly adjusting to her new body. I mean, it doesn't take much adjustment to simply, say, walk and talk using someone else's body. But precise heart surgery? That, my friends, takes adjustment. Because you need to be extremely precise and your aim needs to be perfect. It's like Chloe ran to the stone room, placed the stone and then 2 seconds later, Dr. What's-Her-Face was 100% ready for the surgery.

Because of this, they should have a proper "medical team" on board. Round together a bunch of civilians who aren't non-essential personnel (i.e. doing anything essential for survival at the moment) and have them routinely body-swap with a team of medical personnel back at the Pentagon/SGC/whatever. This way, not only will the people on the ship get some much needed R 'n' R back at home, they'll also let the medical team get used to their "new" bodies so that they can easily swoop in and perform complicated medical procedures within minutes should the need arise again in the future.

MattSilver 3k
April 14th, 2010, 02:01 AM
It was Dr. Brighton, FAII.

escyos
April 14th, 2010, 02:51 AM
so they should have just had chloe do the surgury on her own.....

asdf1239
April 14th, 2010, 02:53 AM
i need an iu explanation as to why they havent stoned in people like daniel and mckay to help with the secrets of destiny

escyos
April 14th, 2010, 02:59 AM
i need an iu explanation as to why they havent stoned in people like daniel and mckay to help with the secrets of destiny

well.............daniel is probably wanting to go to destiny and check it out but chances are theres no need for him as many can read ancient and i assume mckay is busy trying to get atlantis to do what he wants

Cory Holmes
April 14th, 2010, 03:01 AM

For the same reason no Zat guns were brought to Atlantis, and no Wraith Stunners made it onto SG-1. Heck, not even Ronon's gun made a non-SGA appearance. Different shows, different characters, different plot.

And I say good riddance to SG-1 and SGA characters. This is SGU, a whole new animal and IMHO, far superior. Logistics aside, leave them to their own devices.

asdf1239
April 14th, 2010, 03:15 AM
well.............daniel is probably wanting to go to destiny and check it out but chances are theres no need for him as many can read ancient and i assume mckay is busy trying to get atlantis to do what he wants
thank you for giving me a possible in-universe explanation which i specifically asked for as opposed to an out of universe explanation with a little sgu rhetoric .

pipi
April 14th, 2010, 04:03 AM

I thought I saw him in a promo for SGU. This was quite recent, so it couldn't have been the other franchises. The scene only lasted like 1 second. I could have been mistaken. Maybe a Daniel lookalike. Anyway I think they are making up excuses like they are not available or something that's why the experts arn't coming in yet, but we can always hope for some guest appearances! If Carter is not too busy with filming Santuary and Teal'c not too busy with his new show, don't know what the other 2 are doing IRL.

carmencatalina
April 14th, 2010, 05:56 AM
I thought I saw him in a promo for SGU. This was quite recent, so it couldn't have been the other franchises.

Spoilers ahoy!

The clips are likely from "Human" - my understanding is that we will see flashbacks of when Rush was first recruited into the Stargate program by Daniel Jackson - Jackson won't actually be on Destiny.

MattSilver 3k
April 14th, 2010, 08:35 AM
Spoilers ahoy!

The clips are likely from "Human" - my understanding is that we will see flashbacks of when Rush was first recruited into the Stargate program by Daniel Jackson - Jackson won't actually be on Destiny.

But he will reappear in Subversion, episode 18, as well. And we don't even know if he shows up on the Destiny - the first thing I thought of when I saw that shot was the interior of the Hammond, for some reason.

tessa
April 14th, 2010, 12:45 PM
Okay, McKay appears in somebody else’s body. Can you imagine Rush collaborating with him? Indeed Destiny will fall apart sooner :)
Can you imagine Rush collaborating peacefully with anyone… hmm… smart at all? Other scientists aboard the ship doesn’t count, he’s too far beyond them all. There is Eli, but he’s young and inexperienced. Rush doesn’t respect him yet, only appreciate his talent.
My point is Rush wouldn’t let go his position of a smartest guy without a fight. There won’t be any real benefit from new minds, only more mess.

Ser Scot A Ellison
April 14th, 2010, 01:27 PM
tessa,

Okay, McKay appears in somebody else’s body. Can you imagine Rush collaborating with him? Indeed Destiny will fall apart sooner :)
Can you imagine Rush collaborating peacefully with anyone… hmm… smart at all? Other scientists aboard the ship doesn’t count, he’s too far beyond them all. There is Eli, but he’s young and inexperienced. Rush doesn’t respect him yet, only appreciate his talent.
My point is Rush wouldn’t let go his position of a smartest guy without a fight. There won’t be any real benefit from new minds, only more mess.

Yeah, Rush would have a tough time with that. However, given their quite serious situation it is suprising they haven't brought in more experts to help work out how to control the ship.

Anyone think Franklin is down for the duration?

Daro
April 15th, 2010, 12:33 AM
tessa,

Yeah, Rush would have a tough time with that. However, given their quite serious situation it is suprising they haven't brought in more experts to help work out how to control the ship.

Anyone think Franklin is down for the duration?

I think Franklin is down for a long time. I wish he would just...not come back. Terrible thing to say, but as a viewer, I really found his character annoying. Maybe he won't be the same old guy (heck, how could you be?) if he regains consciousness.

Lahela
April 15th, 2010, 12:38 AM
I think Franklin is down for a long time. I wish he would just...not come back. Terrible thing to say, but as a viewer, I really found his character annoying. Maybe he won't be the same old guy (heck, how could you be?) if he regains consciousness.

I hope that if he does come back the writers have something outstanding in store for him.

Daro
April 15th, 2010, 12:47 AM
They'd almost have to. I mean, in any story, a character who is dislikeable at first is going to be extremely hard to like for most of the audience later on unless they do something so fantastic that you have to completely rethink your position. We tend to make up our minds early on. I think that's why we have such an obvious divide in fans who are either on Rush's side or Young's. People made up their minds early and few switch sides, even when Rush frames Young for murder and even when Young attempts to murder Rush. I love a good story with shades of grey as much as the next person, but the writers should give us a little more heroics all around, I think, if we're going to want any of these people to survive.

Lahela
April 15th, 2010, 01:21 AM
They'd almost have to. I mean, in any story, a character who is dislikeable at first is going to be extremely hard to like for most of the audience later on unless they do something so fantastic that you have to completely rethink your position. We tend to make up our minds early on. I think that's why we have such an obvious divide in fans who are either on Rush's side or Young's. People made up their minds early and few switch sides, even when Rush frames Young for murder and even when Young attempts to murder Rush. I love a good story with shades of grey as much as the next person, but the writers should give us a little more heroics all around, I think, if we're going to want any of these people to survive.

And given the number of people who seem to want certain characters not to survive, they'd better do it soon!

But on topic, yes, absolutely. They set Franklin up as someone not be particularly likable so his redemption will have to come in spectacular way if it's to be meaningful.

Daro
April 15th, 2010, 01:28 AM
*cough* Yeah, I hear you on that. I may not like Col. Young's actions, but I don't want him to die. Most of the time, anyway. Any good character-centered story should have imperfect characters. Not just imperfect in superficial ways, like some SG characters of the past have been. Which is why I was not a very devoted fan before; it didn't feel real to me the way SGU does. No matter what, everyone was still a hero at the end of the day.

Lahela
April 15th, 2010, 01:39 AM
Yeah, that unquestionable heroism makes suspension of disbelief much harder for me - and I'm not just talking about Stargate, but TV and literature in general - I've always preferred Batman over Superman. Flaws make for depth, questioning people's motives makes for intrigue and interest, and moral grey areas make for thoughtful analysis and an opportunity for introspection.

Daro
April 15th, 2010, 02:24 AM
Exactly. I know that I try and create characters that are both good and bad, with the classification of protagonist or antagonist depending on who's telling the story when I write. Philosophy and science fiction belong together. One without the other is not going to hold my interest for long. ;)

Jper
April 15th, 2010, 06:46 AM
Spoilers ahoy!

But he will reappear in Subversion, episode 18, as well. And we don't even know if he shows up on the Destiny - the first thing I thought of when I saw that shot was the interior of the Hammond, for some reason.

Daniel will appear on Destiny if I'm not mistaken.

See SyFy SGU 1.5 promo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4PikCe8a8o

About 11 seconds in.