Destinys position in the universe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Destinys position in the universe

We know that the destiny has been searching the universe for a long long long long long time. So if the destiny has been travelling out into the universe, where the hell is it in relation to earth, for all we know it might be travelling back to earth, the ancients knew about time travel and could have forseen the exacuation onto destiny and they could have programmed the ship to take them back to earth.
    Any thoughts?

Originally posted by Colonel Chris View Post
    We know that the destiny has been searching the universe for a long long long long long time. So if the destiny has been travelling out into the universe, where the hell is it in relation to earth, for all we know it might be travelling back to earth, the ancients knew about time travel and could have forseen the exacuation onto destiny and they could have programmed the ship to take them back to earth.
    Any thoughts?
    during the time destiny was launched they never used time travel and the time travel that was perfected was millions of years later. the destiny is on a path going out from earth several million light years. its not coming back anytime soon

Comment

Rush said in the pilot that they were 'several billion light years from home', if it were seven million light years then Earth would have sent a ship cos it would only take around 42 days.
      SG Vennix
      (Executive Producer/Creator)
      - Coming Soon -
      http://vennixproductions.wikia.com/

Star Chronicles: Dark Frontier
      (Executive Producer/Creator)

Comment

Just a thought. “A several billions” years is the age of the Sun actually.
        The way home must be complicated like hell, even if they get an access to the navigation systems. I mean, on their sky Sun might simply not exist yet.
        Everything will be okay in the end.
        If it's not okay, it's not the end.

Comment

Copied and pasted from another thread i answered. After i did a little digging on astronomical facts and figures.

While it wont give you an exact position it gives you a vague impression of just where the Destiny might be.

All we know is that Destiny has traveled 'several billion light years'. Putting that into perspective

Nearest Star to Earth - estimated 4 lightyears away
          The Diameter of the milkway is just about 100,000 lightyears or so
          Milky Way to Pegasus is 3 million lightyears (in the show, we don't know what galaxy pegasus is actually referring to, although its most certainly the Pegasus Dwarf Irregular Galaxy.

The Local group (containing the Milky Way, Pegasus and over 30 galaxies in total is 10 million light years in diameter)

The Virgo Supercluster or the Local Supercluster contains the Local Group along with about 100 other galaxy groups and clusters, it has a diameter of 110 million light years or 33 megaparsecs.

Now 1000 million maxes 1 billion.

Galactic Filaments which are debated to be the largest structures in the universe and contain superclusters.

Lets take the largest known one in the universe and the largest known structure in the univere, the Great Sloan Wall.

50-80 megaparsecs (80 parsecs is about 260 million light years)

The Great Sloan Wall is 1.37 billion light years in length, and is located aproximately 1 billion light years from earth.

So after a bit of background research, how far has the Destiny Travelled if we assume its gone in a relatively straight path? (i.e. not zig zagging back and forth, the graphic shown in air showed it going forward all the time but deviating in its direction relatively slightly.) This is all assumption ofc as we didn't see the 'whole' flight path but i can't see it doubling back on itself, the mission was to go out into the universe ofc, but based on as much reasonable evidence as we have.

Not to forget Rush's statement of 'Were several billion lightyears from earth)

So whats the resonable conlusion?

Its left the Milkway
          Its Left the Local Cluster
          Its Left the Local Supercluster
          Its probably gone beyond the Great Sloan Wall
          its really frakkin far out into the universe.

Mind boggling numbers when you think about it. I really hope tptb actually looked at these figures when they came up with the idea for the show as Destiny is either insanely overpowered in its speed or theres a rational explanation to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Demoniser View Post
            Mind boggling numbers when you think about it. I really hope tptb actually looked at these figures when they came up with the idea for the show as Destiny is either insanely overpowered in its speed or theres a rational explanation to it.
            Actually, from the calculations that I made here, the absolute upper bound on the Destiny's speed is only about 10-12 times that of Goa'uld Ha'Tak. In other words, the Destiny is not fast, it is just incredibly old.
            "From East Middle School. Suzumiya Haruhi. I have no interest in ordinary humans. If there are any aliens, time travelers, sliders, or espers here, come join me."
            - The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya; Best Character Introduction Ever.

"And can we lose the ten thousand year old dead plants?!"
            - Stargate: Atlantis (1x03) "Hide and Seek"

"Hammerheads do not load/unload units immediately – they must descend to ground level first. Initial experiments involving jump-jetting infantry into the Hammerhead’s cargo compartment met with unfortunate results."
            - Command&Conquer 3: Kane's Wrath Hammerhead Unit Spotlight

Comment

Originally posted by Quadhelix View Post
              Actually, from the calculations that I made here, the absolute upper bound on the Destiny's speed is only about 10-12 times that of Goa'uld Ha'Tak. In other words, the Destiny is not fast, it is just incredibly old.
              calculations based on?.....

Comment

Originally posted by escyos View Post
                calculations based on?.....
                Roughly how far away the Destiny is and roughly how long ago it was launched.
                "From East Middle School. Suzumiya Haruhi. I have no interest in ordinary humans. If there are any aliens, time travelers, sliders, or espers here, come join me."

"Hammerheads do not load/unload units immediately – they must descend to ground level first. Initial experiments involving jump-jetting infantry into the Hammerhead’s cargo compartment met with unfortunate results."

Comment

Again i think your calculations are off. I believe it's much faster than your 10 to 20 times as fast as Ha'Tak figure.

Comment

Roughly how far away the Destiny is and roughly how long ago it was launched.
                    once again...based on?

we have several ESTIMATIONS of destinys age and how far it has gone.
                    you can estimate that destiny is over 3 million light years away and at least 6 months old, thats all we know,

Comment

Originally posted by The_Austin View Post
                      Again i think your calculations are off. I believe it's much faster than your 10 to 20 times as fast as Ha'Tak figure.
                      Your belief is irrelevant: unless you have evidence to support it, there is no more reason to trust your "belief" than a hallucination.

once again...based on?

we have several ESTIMATIONS of destinys age and how far it has gone.
                      you can estimate that destiny is over 3 million light years away and at least 6 months old, thats all we know,
                      Actually, we know that the Destiny is "several billion" light-years away: "several" implies more than 2 but less than "many."

As for the age, we have two pieces of evidence for that: we know that it is older than Atlantis (~5 million years old):
                      (From Joseph Mallozzi's weblog)
                      Michael writes: “If Atlantis left for Pegasus “Several Million Years Ago” according to “Rising”, was Rush mistaken in his estimate that Destiny left Earth “Hundreds of Thousands” of years ago?”

Answer: He misspoke or was speaking sort of off-hand, assuming he wasn’t going to be called on it by a knowledgeable fan.
                      However, another piece of information implies an even older age for the Destiny:
                      (From the pre-airing Moviehole interview)

Robert Cooper: And this stargate in my opinion the coolest one.

Wright: Yes, it's not a new stargate it is in fact a very old stargate, it's the prototype.

Cooper: And a rotary dial version (laughs).

Wright: It has a limited range, a far more limited range than the Milky Way or Pegasus Galaxy stargates. For example, if the Destiny is travelling through a galaxy it can't go anywhere in that galaxy, it can only go within a limited range, that's why they put it on a ship, so as it moves through the galaxy it can move across it and explore stargates that have been seeded by other ships prior to the launch of the Destiny who knows how many hundreds of years before.
                      It is "the prototype," and has "a far more limited range than the Milky Way or Pegasus stargates." However, the Milky Way 'gates are as old as 50 million years, implying an even greater age for the Destiny.

Note, however, that I used the younger age (which implies a higher speed) when determining the absolute maximum of Destiny's top speed.

Just because you would rather lie to yourself does not make my information wrong.

Comment

Your belief is irrelevant: unless you have evidence to support it, there is no more reason to trust your "belief" than a hallucination.

Actually, we know that the Destiny is "several billion" light-years away: "several" implies more than 2 but less than "many."

As for the age, we have two pieces of evidence for that: we know that it is older than Atlantis (~5 million years old):

However, another piece of information implies an even older age for the Destiny:

It is "the prototype," and has "a far more limited range than the Milky Way or Pegasus stargates." However, the Milky Way 'gates are as old as 50 million years, implying an even greater age for the Destiny.

Note, however, that I used the younger age (which implies a higher speed) when determining the absolute maximum of Destiny's top speed.

Just because you would rather lie to yourself does not make my information wrong.
                        yes but u dont know how far it is away from earth...without that information you can onlu have a large range of speeds...too large

Comment

yes but u dont know how far it is away from earth...
                          I know that it is "several billion" light-years from Earth. "Several" always connotes "a small number."

without that information you can onlu have a large range of speeds...too large
                          It doesn't matter how large the range is: the upper end of the range is ~20-30 times the speed of a Ha'Tak

In fact, I was able to construct an equation for A (the fraction of its time that Destiny spends exploring galaxies rather than traveling between them) and from that was able to estimate a range of speeds from 23,000 c (slower than Ha'Tak) if it were 5 billion light-years away and 50 million years old to 83,000 c (~2-3 times as fast as a Ha'TaK) if it were 20 billion light-years away and 5 million years old.

Comment

I know that it is "several billion" light-years from Earth. "Several" always connotes "a small number."
                            yes, but id say several when refering to anywhere between 5 and 20....like i said no one person can say several is an actual number

It doesn't matter how large the range is: the upper end of the range is ~20-30 times the speed of a Ha'Tak
                            and the Ha'taks speed was mentioned? are you refering to the events in Enemies? that was a long time ago, i assume that because of Anubis and Ba'al and the upgrades in tech, hyperdrives are faster then they were.

In fact, I was able to construct an equation for A (the fraction of its time that Destiny spends exploring galaxies rather than traveling between them) and from that was able to estimate a range of speeds from 23,000 c (slower than Ha'Tak) if it were 5 billion light-years away and 50 million years old to 83,000 c (~2-3 times as fast as a Ha'TaK) if it were 20 billion light-years away and 5 million years old.
                            i constructed an equation for how much booze i could consume based on how many beers i drank last night and how much i peed that day.

i dont like it when people assume this and that about Stargate....the writers will change it to suit the story and they people get all upset about it.

Comment

yes, but id say several when refering to anywhere between 5 and 20....like i said no one person can say several is an actual number
                              Which is why I was not attempting to find the Destiny's exact speed, only an upper limit.

and the Ha'taks speed was mentioned? are you refering to the events in Enemies? that was a long time ago, i assume that because of Anubis and Ba'al and the upgrades in tech, hyperdrives are faster then they were.
                              So, in other words, the Destiny is now almost certainly slower than a Ha'Tak.

i constructed an equation for how much booze i could consume based on how many beers i drank last night and how much i peed that day.
                              Congratulations. I don't see how the amount of booze that you could consume is relevant, but congratulations nonetheless.

i dont like it when people assume this and that about Stargate....the writers will change it to suit the story and they people get all upset about it.
                              Yes, and when that happens, I will have to revise my conclusions to match the new evidence.

Until then, the best evidence seems to indicate that the Destiny's maximum speed is roughly on par with a Gou'uld Ha'Tak, within about a power of ten.

Comment

Working...
                              X