PDA

View Full Version : Ancient research lab

nx01a
April 12th, 2010, 08:56 PM
WRAY: What is this place?

RUSH: Well, as far as I can tell, it's some kind of Ancient research lab. Not exactly ideal for our purposes, but the level of connectivity of the ship's main systems should be adequate.It's another dark room with a glowing pillar-like thing in the middle. So... What does the lab for research into? Is it just a random science lab for generic experimentation or something specific? It would be far too easy for it to be the ascension research Rush is after. Will the lab become just as important as the chair? Is it the ZPM room? :D
I think it's great to see new rooms explored in the ship again. What do YOU think about this new room?

Daro
April 12th, 2010, 09:14 PM
I think the room is for researching and creating new ship programs, and for test running them in simulations. Either that or it's the computer lab. ;)

escyos
April 12th, 2010, 09:55 PM
seeing as the ancients hadnt been to destiny, the lab would have been for nothing....just a generic lab they can use for any things.

pipi
April 13th, 2010, 02:58 AM
Yeah, nothing special with the room. Maybe a backup command station in event of an attack.

Daro
April 13th, 2010, 04:36 AM
Yeah, nothing special with the room. Maybe a backup command station in event of an attack.

Or, ya know, backup for in case you need to stage a coup. The Ancients thought of everything.

Jper
April 13th, 2010, 05:37 AM
Maybe we'll find out more later? Or maybe it's just a general lab, which would get a purpose when the Ancients returned to Destiny...

pipi
April 14th, 2010, 05:44 AM
Or, ya know, backup for in case you need to stage a coup. The Ancients thought of everything.

Or maybe some perverted Ancient was using that as his secret command center to spy on his fellow Ancients.

Ser Scot A Ellison
April 14th, 2010, 01:37 PM
pipi,

Or maybe some perverted Ancient was using that as his secret command center to spy on his fellow Ancients.

Spying on Destiny? I'd be shocked if that's what was actually going on.

mjwalshe
April 14th, 2010, 02:03 PM

well most big ships on earth have back up bridges in case of battle damage.

Daro
April 14th, 2010, 10:38 PM
well most big ships on earth have back up bridges in case of battle damage.

Very true, but remember, Rush said it "wasn't ideal." I think a redundant bridge would have been his choice if he'd had access to one.

EllieVee
April 15th, 2010, 04:41 AM
The Ancients pretty much littered the universe with labs; one more's not much of a surprise.

blackluster
April 15th, 2010, 05:36 AM
It might be a lab for ship's systems though I think it would have had more access. I suspect it might be for monitoring astronomical events, or perhaps more extensive planetary scans.

hiro
April 15th, 2010, 06:32 AM
The Ancients pretty much littered the universe with labs; one more's not much of a surprise.

agree, they had labs everywhere for example in atlantis , i guess that in this big ship a lab it's essential

garhkal
April 15th, 2010, 04:35 PM
It might be a lab for ship's systems though I think it would have had more access. I suspect it might be for monitoring astronomical events, or perhaps more extensive planetary scans.

Which might explain why it had the capacity to take over the ship. The consoles were already configured to the ships systems.

EllieVee
April 15th, 2010, 07:09 PM
Which might explain why it had the capacity to take over the ship. The consoles were already configured to the ships systems.

Yes, agree with both these posts. The Ancients probably had redundant systems on Destiny, though it begs the question of why they didn't seem to have them on Atlantis.

nx01a
April 15th, 2010, 07:18 PM
Answer: They're the Ancients. ;) The dumbest smart race ever!

Destiny was intended to go off on its own for a very very very long time. Redundant systems seem like a must. Atlantis was the heart of their society. Someone was always supposed to be there.
Not much of a potential excuse, since redundant/back up systems are always a must.

garhkal
April 15th, 2010, 07:32 PM
Which they did, see the Tower for what it was. BUT i would have liked to know WHERE it was and why they never went there on atlantis?

nx01a
April 15th, 2010, 08:30 PM
You mean the area where the drones are stored and where Rodney activated the stardrive?

Jper
April 16th, 2010, 02:45 AM
Answer: They're the Ancients. ;) The dumbest smart race ever!

Destiny was intended to go off on its own for a very very very long time. Redundant systems seem like a must. Atlantis was the heart of their society. Someone was always supposed to be there.
Not much of a potential excuse, since redundant/back up systems are always a must.

The Ancients are just arrogant. They always seem to think they are superior and don't need back-ups 'cause the first line is so good that it could never possibly fail...

garhkal
April 16th, 2010, 03:15 PM
You mean the area where the drones are stored and where Rodney activated the stardrive?

Yupo..

nx01a
April 16th, 2010, 03:49 PM
To use Trek terms, I guess that was literally the Battle Bridge. :D

EllieVee
April 16th, 2010, 04:29 PM
I think it shows that Rush has probably been out exploring on his own.

nx01a
April 16th, 2010, 05:30 PM
That's certainly a good supposition. :D More sneaky Rush!
Still, it could equally be another scientist who came across it and just didn't tell the military... but I prefer to think it was Rush being sneaky.

EllieVee
April 16th, 2010, 06:15 PM
That's certainly a good supposition. :D More sneaky Rush!
Still, it could equally be another scientist who came across it and just didn't tell the military... but I prefer to think it was Rush being sneaky.

Isn't it interesting how I say 'exploring' and you say 'sneaky' ... :P

Jper
April 17th, 2010, 05:49 AM
I think it shows that Rush has probably been out exploring on his own.

That's a given (fact). No need for the "probably". :D ;)

garhkal
April 17th, 2010, 10:24 AM
Actually who's to say he went out exploring. Could have easily found reference to it in the ships databanks.

EllieVee
April 17th, 2010, 06:03 PM
Actually who's to say he went out exploring. Could have easily found reference to it in the ships databanks.

You're no fun. :P

garhkal
April 18th, 2010, 12:57 PM
Well, since he recently had his stomach area operated on, it makes more sense he would have sat there, parousing the info, rather than walked around.

EllieVee
April 19th, 2010, 01:50 AM
Well, since he recently had his stomach area operated on, it makes more sense he would have sat there, parousing the info, rather than walked around.

The operation (next to his heart) was after the coup not before.