Should the science team go on strike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should the science team go on strike

The mutiny failed. That's quite clear. However, the science team in choosing to attempt to take control missed a golden opportunity to assert their real ability to control their circumstances. Simply sit down and refuse to work. What's Col. Young going to do shoot people? He can't, if he does he loses valuable necessary members of the team on Destiny.

I support shared authority between the military and civilians on board. I think a strike would work. Anyone else agree. Should Young be willing to shoot people to end a strike?
    All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story...

"Scott isn't out. Actually, he'll probably soon get back in, then out, then in, then out, then in, with rhythm and stamina." reddevil 4/22/2010

Originally posted by Ser Scot A Ellison View Post
    The mutiny failed. That's quite clear. However, the science team in choosing to attempt to take control missed a golden opportunity to assert their real ability to control their circumstances. Simply sit down and refuse to work. What's Col. Young going to do shoot people? He can't, if he does he loses valuable necessary members of the team on Destiny.

I support shared authority between the military and civilians on board. I think a strike would work. Anyone else agree. Should Young be willing to shoot people to end a strike?

Isn't going on strike what the civilians did after the mutiny started? They all stopped working and sat in the commissary eating all the food and drinking all the water. They went on strike when the civilians had control. Do they want to die faster?

I would think (or at least hope) the civilians would realize survival comes first and that means doing something productive like ensuring shelter, triaging the wounded, making/finding water, making/finding food, making/findina a way home, etc. Doing nothing makes everybody die faster, the civilians included.

The military are willing to do some work and adapt as needed. Just look at the sick bay TJ created/modified/learned on the fly. Plus, the military personnel are trained in survival techniques. IMO, they will last longer than the whiny civilians.

So the civilians are only cutting their own throats by being lazy and going on strike.

Comment

Originally posted by hisg1fans View Post
      Isn't going on strike what the civilians did after the mutiny started? They all stopped working and sat in the commissary eating all the food and drinking all the water. Do they want to die faster?

I would think (or at least hope) the civilians would realize survival comes first and that means doing something productive like ensuring shelter, triaging the wounded, making/finding water, making/finding food, making/findina a way home, etc. Doing nothing makes everybody die faster, the civilians included.
      Were they eating and drinking, or just sitting? I don't recall.
      sigpic

Comment

I agree with shared authority--just not with Wray or Rush. They're untrustworthy.

Comment

Originally posted by Lahela View Post
          Were they eating and drinking, or just sitting? I don't recall.
          They were just sitting.

They could go on a strike as far as non-essential jobs are concerned (i.e. the jobs required to keep them alive). It would show the military that they can't do jack squat without the civilians.

Originally posted by Jeffala View Post
          I agree with shared authority--just not with Wray or Rush. They're untrustworthy.
          I love it how many people call Wray, of all people, untrustworthy, but never doubt Young's trustworthiness, even after all the crimes he's committed. If Young remains in command in some capacity, then Wray should get her share as well.

Comment

Isn't going on strike what the civilians did after the mutiny started? They all stopped working and sat in the commissary eating all the food and drinking all the water. They went on strike when the civilians had control. Do they want to die faster?

The military are willing to do some work and adapt as needed. Just look at the sick bay TJ created/modified/learned on the fly. Plus, the military personnel are trained in survival techniques. IMO, they will last longer than the whiny civilians.

So the civilians are only cutting their own throats by being lazy and going on strike.
            Going on strike has nothing to do with being lazy.

Comment

hisg1fans,

I don't think they were striking. I think they were waiting. I really wanted them to refuse to return to their quarters when ordered to go by Young. Again, what's he going to do start shooting people one at a time?
              All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story...

"Scott isn't out. Actually, he'll probably soon get back in, then out, then in, then out, then in, with rhythm and stamina." reddevil 4/22/2010

Comment

The science team going on strike is tricky business. Everyone on that ship must accept that in every encounter, it will take the efforts and skills of all useful members of the team to help the Destiny and the crew survive.

That said, they aren't having encounters every day. The science team does other things that don't directly impact survival, at least not immedietly. In those cases, yes, they may want to strike if things on board the Destiny stay the same, with the military dictatorship in place. This is not to say that I hate the military, but their leader has shown that he is not in control of himself, and makes decisions that jeapordize lives and the Destiny itself when he loses his temper. When problems are brought to his attention, such as with Spencer, he ignores them. When suggestions are made by other 'leaders,' like Rush and Wray, he threatens them to get them to shut up. Case in point, "Light," where he threatens to remove Wray from the lottery after she suggests that he needs to pick the fifteen that will board the shuttle. Right or wrong, offensive or not, he meets other people's opinions with indifference at best, and hostility at worst. His mishandling of the civilians aboard the ship make it necessary for someone to do something. Since the revolt failed, the scientists have only one coin to trade with: their skills.

This excludes Eli, who is on Young's side for now. And he is, when properly motivated, a force to be reckoned with in the realm of technology and operation of the Destiny.

They'll go on strike, probably at the worst time possible. Volker and Brody seem to be the second-in-commands of Rush's team, and they will probably raise hell if Rush is imprisoned for his attempted coup. The non-scientists, though we only know a few of them (like Chloe,) will probably also cause trouble if Wray is imprisoned too.

Comment

Originally posted by FallenAngelII View Post
                  I love it how many people call Wray, of all people, untrustworthy, but never doubt Young's trustworthiness, even after all the crimes he's committed. If Young remains in command in some capacity, then Wray should get her share as well.
                  I'm sorry, did I ever state that I trusted Young but just forget about it? I'm talking about Wray and Rush.

Comment

Originally posted by Ser Scot A Ellison View Post

Yeah, of course the Military could do the same thing.

Hey who should go to the hostile Jungle enviroment and search for resources. Cause we quit.

I mean you could send the Civies, just try not to shoot each other at the first noise that startles you.

Hey those blue aliens are back. Let's send Volkner out with a bunch of mathematicians to get into a dogfight with them . Oh try not to freezer up and crap yourself.

Hey um we have Lucian borders storming the gateroom. You civies hold em up Greer and Scott are having a poker night in the commissary

There can only be one leader because the last thing you need during a crisis are three different opinions and a voting process . Young can't share leadership . It doesn't work that way, he can however be a bit more open minded in listening to Wray as long as it's reasonable. And maybe taking Rush to word regarding tech, to a point.

Comment

I disagree entirely with your opinion that only a military leader can be in charge. Young has messed up so much in so many ways that I wouldn't trust him to run a popsickle stand.

But you do have a point. While everyone is having a tantrum about the civilians, it's important to keep one thing in mind. When the sh** hits the fan, it's the military who do the dying, usually. They're the ones who will fight any enemies that show up, they're the ones who lay down their lives willingly when things get dicey. Some of the scientists (like Rush and Eli) have shown they will also fight when the situation warrents, but most of the others would be useless unless they were manning the ship's defenses.

Whatever their faults and flaws, the military is essential to the crew's survival. The opposite is true, so both sides need each other. In light of that fact, there should be at least two, if not three, leaders making the decisions. The military commander should be in charge during any armed confrontation, but he should also be running his decisions by the science leader so that he doesn't accidently blow up the ship.

Comment

If they want to die, then go on strike. The military and the scientists have equal duty on the ship: both are there to keep everyone alive. Either one going on strike would equal everyone dying.
                        sigpic
                        More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

Originally posted by Daro View Post
                          I disagree entirely with your opinion that only a military leader can be in charge. Young has messed up so much in so many ways that I wouldn't trust him to run a popsickle stand.

But you do have a point. While everyone is having a tantrum about the civilians, it's important to keep one thing in mind. When the sh** hits the fan, it's the military who do the dying, usually. They're the ones who will fight any enemies that show up, they're the ones who lay down their lives willingly when things get dicey. Some of the scientists (like Rush and Eli) have shown they will also fight when the situation warrents, but most of the others would be useless unless they were manning the ship's defenses.

Whatever their faults and flaws, the military is essential to the crew's survival. The opposite is true, so both sides need each other. In light of that fact, there should be at least two, if not three, leaders making the decisions. The military commander should be in charge during any armed confrontation, but he should also be running his decisions by the science leader so that he doesn't accidently blow up the ship.
                          Oh I don't think only a military person should be wholely in charge. I belive at this moment, for now he is the only viable option.

But, if there was someone else like Weir or Woolsley on the ship. Then yeah they should split the power. Share it not switch leaders. Definitely a plan to go with . Unfortunately , we don't. Rush I would leave in charge of ship running. But leave oversight on him via Eli . As for running civies\ military personal . Well, while I pity Wray a little for trying her best. Her habit of underestimating and undervaluing the military leaves me much doubt about her suitability .

Comment

Exactly, and if one side tried it, they'd get into a bad situation and quickly realize how much one side needs the other. I doubt anyone is going to say "I'm on strike" when they are in the middle of a situation where they will die if they don't cooperate with their crew mates.

Comment

Originally posted by Tuvok View Post
                              Oh I don't think only a military person should be wholely in charge. I belive at this moment, for now he is the only viable option.

But, if there was someone else like Weir or Woolsley on the ship. Then yeah they should split the power. Share it not switch leaders. Definitely a plan to go with . Unfortunately , we don't. Rush I would leave in charge of ship running. But leave oversight on him via Eli . As for running civies\ military personal . Well, while I pity Wray a little for trying her best. Her habit of underestimating and undervaluing the military leaves me much doubt about her suitability .
                              I think Eli supervising Rush would be a bad idea. Eli is already too confused about where he stands on everything. He's just a kid, and he's been wrong several times when Rush has been right. Rush is the best scientific asset they have, and Eli comes in as a close second. They need to be a team, because things work best that way. But Rush needs to be able to make the final call in most situations.
                              Wray bothers me, I think she's up to no good, but we just don't know enough about her yet.

As bad as the options may seem, we only have the people we have. I say they figure out their power structure and see what happens from there

Comment

Working...
                              X