PDA

View Full Version : Alien Ship's weapons weren't great

globex
April 11th, 2010, 05:06 PM
Did anyone else feel that those alien ship weapons were pretty boring to watch? I mean the episode was an improvement but they could have worked on the weapons a bit more, felt kinda lame.

s09119
April 11th, 2010, 05:27 PM
Did anyone else feel that those alien ship weapons were pretty boring to watch? I mean the episode was an improvement but they could have worked on the weapons a bit more, felt kinda lame.

Did you also find ha'tak and hive ships boring to watch?

drake122
April 11th, 2010, 05:32 PM
Yes but at least there were other ships... I mean, for the first 10 episodes, the only ship we saw was a "huge black anchor-shaped thing" that some people like to call Destiny.

globex
April 11th, 2010, 06:06 PM
Did you also find ha'tak and hive ships boring to watch?

My sarcasm meter is detecting sarcasm. Was that really sarcasm? If no, then the answer to that is no. The Hive ships were at least decent in their fire power.

Yes but at least there were other ships... I mean, for the first 10 episodes, the only ship we saw was a "huge black anchor-shaped thing" that some people like to call Destiny.

The weapons sounded weak.

The_Asgard_live
April 11th, 2010, 06:22 PM
Yes. The Destiny is really old tech. The aliens seem less advanced. Less advanced than the oldest ancient tech is kind of boring.

Whats not boring is the implication. The very fact that they have weapons and small attack fleets. I'm sure the writers didn't intend it, but that would imply there are others out and about that create the need for that kind of weaponry.

Pharaoh Atem
April 11th, 2010, 06:59 PM

not everything is as cool as a ori ship :cool:

pipi
April 12th, 2010, 04:45 AM
My sarcasm meter is detecting sarcasm. Was that really sarcasm? If no, then the answer to that is no. The Hive ships were at least decent in their fire power.

The weapons sounded weak.

I liked the Hive ship weapons because they made pewpew sounds and was a very pretty blue cosmo colour. Thumbs up for special effects.

FallenAngelII
April 12th, 2010, 04:49 AM
not everything is as cool as a ori ship :cool:
Yes, hallowed are the toilets.

Steelbox
April 12th, 2010, 05:00 AM
Yes, hallowed are the toilets.

Yes, hallowed are the Urine!

asdf1239
April 12th, 2010, 05:02 AM
I liked the Hive ship weapons because they made pewpew sounds and was a very pretty blue cosmo colour. Thumbs up for special effects.

Jper
April 12th, 2010, 05:20 AM
This thread is hilarious. :D

pipi
April 13th, 2010, 03:49 AM
Well to be more accurate the Hive ships goes doo doo doo, Orai goes peeeeew? Pegasus goes dedede dedede, Smurfs goes whooo-dong whooo-dong.

Smurf weapons were lame cause they have to charge and gives away the shot :P

escyos
April 13th, 2010, 04:24 AM
they wanted destiny, why use powerful weapons to destroy it, they wanted to disable the shields..

i dont knwo about you, but when im after somethign i dont destroy it, if i did something like 20 women would be dead

Jper
April 13th, 2010, 05:28 AM
They [The Blue Space Aliens] wanted Destiny. Why use powerful weapons to destroy it [Or damage it]? They wanted to disable the shields.

Indeed. :)

!!!!: Words between [ ] are my own additions. :)

escyos
April 13th, 2010, 06:34 AM
Indeed. :)

r u putting words in my mouth/post! :O

and your right/im right

The Destiny
April 13th, 2010, 07:54 AM
I felt the weapons were cool. We've seen enough 'rapid fire' type weapons on ships already ( Ha'tak, Hive ships, drones to a degree, daedalus-class battlecruisers, destiny, Ori secondary weapons, traveller ships ) , we've also seen beam weapons ( asgard plasma beam weapons, Ori main weapons I guess al though those fall into the 'charge and fire large burst' weapons ) which felt kinda star- trek. We don't see that many ship weapons that charge and fire a fast hardhitting burst ( Ori weapons were slow long bursts of energy ) .

We don't know the shieldstrenght of destiny, because we can't compare it. I think with those weapons a smurf ship should at least be able to destroy a bunch ha'taks. Those smurf ships were quite large even when compared to destiny ( which is huge ) , and most likely a lot bigger than earth ships. I'm sure when a smurf ship fires on an earth ship that there will be sparks inside the earthship everywhere! ( Even throwing some daisy's at our shields would cause spark explosions... )

The_Asgard_live
April 13th, 2010, 08:29 AM
We don't know the shieldstrenght of destiny, because we can't compare it. I think with those weapons a smurf ship should at least be able to destroy a bunch ha'taks.

Not a direct comparison, but should be able to make some educated guesses. If Goa'uld tech was basically the product of the knowledge they could steal from Ancient tech left in the Milky Way, then most likely that tech ... hyperdrive, shields and weapons should be more or much more advanced than advanced than anything on Destiny. The Goa'uld shielding advanced enough to fend off Tollan weaponry.

I think a ha'tak might be the winner.

pipi
April 14th, 2010, 05:42 AM
Okay, so from what I've gathered so far, the Smurf weapon was charging because they were hypothetically calibrating each shot so that they only weaken the shield but not punch a hole through Destiny? Hmm interesting. If this theory is true, I'd forgive them for having lame weapons prima facie.

ngewakl
April 15th, 2010, 12:45 AM
What they need are guns that kaboooooooom! The destiny's crew might just crap their pants!

Phenom
April 15th, 2010, 01:09 AM
I just had to rewatch the scene to give an accurate view point. I feel the sound of the smurf weapons is similar to the sound of a bus.....the whole "wwwoooooo pitish'....obviously the smurfs havce recalibrated the bus engine to be quite a powerful weapon for their space ships. Ingenius stuff.

Daro
April 15th, 2010, 01:16 AM
You're so wrong. You didn't hear any sound from the guns at all. There's no sound in space. Have you been hearing things a lot lately?
Besides, even if the show messed up and did dub in sound, I couldn't hear it. I stick my fingers in my ears during space battles, because, if I don't, I throw science books at the tv until it's muted permanantly.

Phenom
April 15th, 2010, 01:19 AM
You're so wrong. You didn't hear any sound from the guns at all. There's no sound in space. Have you been hearing things a lot lately?
Besides, even if the show messed up and did dub in sound, I couldn't hear it. I stick my fingers in my ears during space battles, because, if I don't, I throw science books at the tv until it's muted permanantly.

That would be quite funny....if for several minutes of sci fi space battles it was just silence.

Daro
April 15th, 2010, 01:31 AM
Well, in Firefly it was like that. Just.....silence. But then, that ship didn't get in battles much because it didn't have any weapons. So I've never got to see several minutes of silent space battle, but someday, maybe. As long as I don't see it first-hand. I'll be careful what I wish for.

nx01a
April 15th, 2010, 01:39 AM
I was quite fine with the Snorks' weapons, though it seems like almost every ship in Stargate fires those dang projectile-style energy weapons.
It was Destiny's main gun that let me down. I really wanted a beam weapon. :( One that would deplete the energy reserves after two shots but do lots of damage. :D

Daro
April 15th, 2010, 01:44 AM
Deathstar Destiny? That would have rocked muchly. Then again, I don't feel comfortable with Young or Rush (or Eli: "I have a gun!!!") having control of that awesome a weapon.

Morganskywalker
April 15th, 2010, 01:44 AM
Well, in Firefly it was like that.
Yup, Firefly was one of the only Sci-Fi shows that did that, and I appreciated the realism. Sometimes complete silence is just as cool as pew-pew noises - it created a very ominous atmosphere during the short "battles" we saw.

Serenity added noise to please the mainstream crowd, but some people have suggested the noise was because of the nebula the massive battle was fought in. I don't remember if there was sound during the other battles, so I can't comment on that. I haven't watched it in forever...

As for the topic, I thought the alien weapons were pretty cool. I would rate them above Ha'taks, but below the Wraith hive ships. Also, it makes sense that they wouldn't fire their guns at full strength/speed, to avoid destroying the ship they're so obsessed with capturing. I assume they've been hunting Destiny for long enough to know how hard they can hit without causing irreparable damage.

Phenom
April 15th, 2010, 02:47 AM
I was quite fine with the Snorks' weapons, though it seems like almost every ship in Stargate fires those dang projectile-style energy weapons.
It was Destiny's main gun that let me down. I really wanted a beam weapon. :( One that would deplete the energy reserves after two shots but do lots of damage. :D

Snorks.....thats a blast from the past!!!