Pro-civilian bias?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pro-civilian bias?

Hey all, it seems to me that a majority of people on here believe that the civilians are in the right and the military personnel aboard Destiny are a bunch of thugs.

Well, I find Wray's point about every military in the civilized world falling under civilian government authority to be very true. Obviously she was saying this so she could get power, but why were the other civilians following her and Rush so easily?

I was thinking specifically of Volker and Brody. Have they had a bad go of it on Destiny? Oh, probably, but how is that thew fault of the military personnel? I know a lot of civilians were pissed about having their quarters searched for missing supplies and again for the gun that killed Spencer. Why though? It doesn't make sense to me why they'd be so resentful over it. The soldiers' quarters were being checked as well, so why the big fuss?

Does this all relate to Young leaving Rush on that planet? Obviously for Rush it did, but who else knew?

You know, I found that the episode portrayed a more pro-military view than pro-civilian view. While people here and viewers might or might not be biased to one side or another I don't know. I think it depends on the individual, person to person. However, personally I though that the character of the episode itself gave it a more pro-military aspect. Personally I think I'm not biased either way, 'cause I wouldn't want to be in either camp, and I think either camp is as right or wrong as the other. Certainly in a situation like this were a division like this is only to do harm and far from good.
    A black hole swallowed this sig pic.

Comment

I'd imagine it has more to do with the fact they dislike the military having the last word in everything that goes on. I would.

Comment

Btw can anyone tell me why everyone was talkin about young leaving rush on the desert planet and yet it seems no civilian knows about rush's attempt to frame the colonel?

Comment

Originally posted by Phenomenological View Post
          I'd imagine it has more to do with the fact they dislike the military having the last word in everything that goes on. I would.
          Or in Rush situation, that Young never listen to them or considers his opinion, or just consults/considers Rush i.e. when wasting power while power reserves are low. Young is far from a decent or good leader. Sure he's a leader, but not a good one. And that's a problem. Way more than the military having the last word.
          A black hole swallowed this sig pic.

Comment

Originally posted by Phenomenological View Post
            Yes, but how is this any different than their previous post, Icarus base? Or possibly their post before that, the SGC or Area 51?

These scientists are a part of the Stargate Program. They fall under the command of various military personnel of escalating ranks up to General O'Niell. Why is it now that they're suddenly chafing under the military rule?

Comment

I don't think the episode was entirely pro-civilian or entirely pro-military. That's not really the issue as I saw it.

Yes, it was split down the middle in terms of the balance of power in the plot, but I don't think the point of the episode was to point at one side and say "these guys are right" and "the other guys are wrong."

In the end, both sides had problems, and the episode ends with the suggestion that they need to work together if they're going to maintain any semblance of peace aboard the ship.

Comment

Lord Hurin,

Originally posted by Lord Hurin View Post
                Yes, but how is this any different than their previous post, Icarus base? Or possibly their post before that, the SGC or Area 51?

These scientists are a part of the Stargate Program. They fall under the command of various military personnel of escalating ranks up to General O'Niell. Why is it now that they're suddenly chafing under the military rule?
                In each of your other examples there is the possiblity of the civilians saying, "I quit I'm leaving and you can't make me stay, I'm a civilian." Not anymore. They are trapped on the ship for some indefinate period of time. As such they need to build a more normal society than they've been accustomed to in other SGC locals.
                All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story...

"Scott isn't out. Actually, he'll probably soon get back in, then out, then in, then out, then in, with rhythm and stamina." reddevil 4/22/2010

Comment

Hey all, it seems to me that a majority of people on here believe that the civilians are in the right and the military personnel aboard Destiny are a bunch of thugs.

Well, I find Wray's point about every military in the civilized world falling under civilian government authority to be very true. Obviously she was saying this so she could get power, but why were the other civilians following her and Rush so easily?

I was thinking specifically of Volker and Brody. Have they had a bad go of it on Destiny? Oh, probably, but how is that thew fault of the military personnel? I know a lot of civilians were pissed about having their quarters searched for missing supplies and again for the gun that killed Spencer. Why though? It doesn't make sense to me why they'd be so resentful over it. The soldiers' quarters were being checked as well, so why the big fuss?

Does this all relate to Young leaving Rush on that planet? Obviously for Rush it did, but who else knew?
                  Yes, I think when Young ditched Rush, it destroyed the civilians having any respect for him. (and he knows it, as he told Wray)
                  General Jack O'Neill, still HOTTer than ever!

Comment

Sorry, I'm not talking about a bias one way or the other on the writers' parts but on the part of the people of this forum. I've seen several posts admonishing the military for acting like barbarians when really no one was in the right.

I'm just trying to figure out why guys like Brody and Volker (especially Brody, who has had a fair amount of respect from all camps) would get on board with a mutiny so quickly and willingly. Surely they didn't have plans of mutiny at Icarus base?

Comment

Originally posted by Vapor View Post
                      I don't think the episode was entirely pro-civilian or entirely pro-military. That's not really the issue as I saw it.

Yes, it was split down the middle in terms of the balance of power in the plot, but I don't think the point of the episode was to point at one side and say "these guys are right" and "the other guys are wrong."

In the end, both sides had problems, and the episode ends with the suggestion that they need to work together if they're going to maintain any semblance of peace aboard the ship.
                      Good post. I'd like to add that the ep refrained from showing a good side and a bad side, the point was for the viewer to make up their own mind, be it they support the military, civilians or neither and think they should work together.

Comment

Originally posted by missmobius View Post
                        Yes, I think when Young ditched Rush, it destroyed the civilians having any respect for him. (and he knows it, as he told Wray)
                        Yes, but I think Young is regretful not only for having lost the respect of others, but also for allowing himself to become a man he can't respect himself.

Comment

Lord Hurin,

Yes, but I think Young is regretful not only for having lost the respect of others, but also for allowing himself to become a man he can't respect himself.
                          Why does that mean he should retain his authority. He should be willing to set it aside given that he recognizes his own failings.
                          All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story...

"Scott isn't out. Actually, he'll probably soon get back in, then out, then in, then out, then in, with rhythm and stamina." reddevil 4/22/2010

Comment

I think that the episode isn't "well we have both sides choose one and we start fighting to dead !! "
                            it's more a reflexion that we need both sides together to survive .

Originally posted by Jper View Post
                            Or in Rush situation, that Young never listen to them or considers his opinion, or just consults/considers Rush i.e. when wasting power while power reserves are low. Young is far from a decent or good leader. Sure he's a leader, but not a good one. And that's a problem. Way more than the military having the last word.
                            I think that Young doesn't believe Rush anymore because he is the one that disobey the order to dial home ... and that bring them to the destiny
                            Watching SGA and SGU

Comment

Originally posted by hiro View Post
                              I think that the episode isn't "well we have both sides choose one and we start fighting to dead !! "
                              it's more a reflexion that we need both sides together to survive .
                              God, I hope so. This show is very different to the other Stargate series and I like and respect that. The comraderie is just about the only element from previous shows that I dearly miss.

Comment

Working...
                              X