TJ ordering the gun put down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TJ ordering the gun put down

I didn't really get TJ ordering the soldier to put his gun down when they were stuck on the wrong side of the line. Seems to me like the one with the gun was in a much better position to end the coup before it got well under way. What were the civies going to do? Rush him until he ran out of bullets? I think not!

They should have at least tried to find out what their status was (eg if there were any more soldiers on the wrong side of the line) before putting the gun down. They weren't exactly faced with a life threatening situation when they did.

(I hope the thread title is not a problem spoiler wise)
    I'm an average viewer. As plain as they come. People make TV shows based on my demographic.

Million's of ZPM's, ZPM's for free! Millions of ZPM's, ZPM's for me!

It was a deadlock situation, and TJ being the nice gal she is, she didn't want anyone hurt. What she did was against any conceivable army rules, but their situation was unorthodox enough. I think she would've had at least a chance of acquittal were she put on trial in an army court.

What raised my eyebrow is that the soldier actually put the gun down rather than holster it, or at least disassemble it and toss the firing pin somewhere inaccessible. He basically handed the "rebels" a weapon that was loaded and ready to fire. That's textbook escalation. It's just not done, just like in a hostage situation it is acceptable to give the hostage taker food, money, etc. but never a weapon or ammunition, or additional hostages, because that would increase his power.
    If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.- Abba Eban.

Comment

Yeah I thought it was a bad idea to. Simply telling him to stand down and keeping the gun would be better, but TJ just ended up giving the mutineers a weapon.

Still they were in a no win situation. TJ and that one soldier couldn't have fought off all the civillians and if they did it would cause to much bad blood for the military and civvies ever to work together again.

But giving gun to mutineers always=BAD.
      sigpic
      Doci of the BAG

Comment

TJ wouldn't let anyone shoot anyone, voluntarily or order it. Certainly not in this situation. It's just who she is.

And I agree, it was kinda weird to just give them a gun. I wondered about that, too. However, it's a detail for a TV show. SGU has been pretty good on keeping these little details/things straight, it was inevitable for them to mess up sometime.
        A black hole swallowed this sig pic.

Comment

One marine with a handgun at close range surrounded by several people, he opens fire it'll be tears all round. People that close can rush a person with a firearm, he might have shot a couple of people, end result though they'd be disarmed still. As for not dissembling the weapon, that would take a minute, something they didn't have when Wray and chums were standing right in front of the Marine and could take the weapon off him while he tried to fiddle around.

Comment

Where do they keep the guns on Destiny? Is there an armoury? I think there probably is, but which side of the "line" was it on? If the civilians had the remaining weapons anyway there wasn't a huge deal in letting them have one more. TJ didn't want to see anyone get hurt. Period. It's just not in her character.

Comment

In the end TJ is the doctor (think that is a doctor before a soldier ) so if the soldier shoots she probably will have to save them . m0ar work = bad =D
              Watching SGA and SGU

Comment

Originally posted by The Mighty 6 platoon View Post
                One marine with a handgun at close range surrounded by several people, he opens fire it'll be tears all round. People that close can rush a person with a firearm, he might have shot a couple of people, end result though they'd be disarmed still. As for not dissembling the weapon, that would take a minute, something they didn't have when Wray and chums were standing right in front of the Marine and could take the weapon off him while he tried to fiddle around.
                So he couldn't lower the gun and disassemble it? Or maybe at least toss away the ammo? Or something? Seems strange to me. Even if the civilians could put it back together, it seems logical to me, to take out the ammo or something so that they can"t *immediately* shoot you. Or so it seems to me.

Comment

mmm yeap ! you got tha point ... he could disassemble it ...
                  Watching SGA and SGU

Comment

Originally posted by Jper View Post
                    So he couldn't lower the gun and disassemble it? Or maybe at least toss away the ammo? Or something? Seems strange to me. Even if the civilians could put it back together, it seems logical to me, to take out the ammo or something so that they can"t *immediately* shoot you. Or so it seems to me.
                    It be pretty pointless. They were clearly going to take the weapon off him. He could eject the magazine and toss it away, but they could just pick it back up. And you miss my point about dissembling a weapon, it is not just the case of pressing a button, for a trained soldier to dissemble a pistol it wouldn't take very long, but too long when there are several people in front of you who want to take the weapon off you.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mighty 6 platoon View Post
                      It be pretty pointless. They were clearly going to take the weapon off him. He could eject the magazine and toss it away, but they could just pick it back up. And you miss my point about dissembling a weapon, it is not just the case of pressing a button, for a trained soldier to dissemble a pistol it wouldn't take very long, but too long when there are several people in front of you who want to take the weapon off you.
                      He could have told him he would surrender the weapon after he can dispose of the firing pin. Until then, he could keep them at gunpoint, and order them to keep distance.

At the very least, he could shoot into a pile of pillows or a dirt-filled pot at the hydroponics lab (something that would absorb bullets safely) untl the clip is empty and THEN hand the gun over. But handing it over loaded just wasn't an option.
                      If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.- Abba Eban.

Comment

I think some people are also missing a key point: If the civilians just wanted to kill the military personnel, wouldn't they have? Giving a weapon to someone who isn't gonna use it isn't a great threat, imo.

Comment

Originally posted by Womble View Post
                          He could have told him he would surrender the weapon after he can dispose of the firing pin. Until then, he could keep them at gunpoint, and order them to keep distance.

At the very least, he could shoot into a pile of pillows or a dirt-filled pot at the hydroponics lab (something that would absorb bullets safely) untl the clip is empty and THEN hand the gun over. But handing it over loaded just wasn't an option.
                          They weren't going to let him disable the weapon, they were right in front of him. You know the distance that someone can run in the time it takes to sight a weapon and get an accurate shot? About 6 or 7 meters. The civvies were much closer than that, TJ had told not to shoot anyone and even if he did it's likely he would have only shot one before the rest rushed him. Therefore with no bargaining position the Marine had no choice but to give up his sidearm. Now the best way to prevent a weapon from firing is to remove the firing pin, that is complex and fiddly to do. The only other option here would be to remove the magazine (not clip) but that would do bugger all. They can pick it up and load the weapon again.

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Hurin View Post
                            I think some people are also missing a key point: If the civilians just wanted to kill the military personnel, wouldn't they have? Giving a weapon to someone who isn't gonna use it isn't a great threat, imo.
                            the civilians don't want to kill the military personnel ? so they cut off his food and water because they thought it would be a nice diet ?
                            Watching SGA and SGU

Comment

Originally posted by hiro View Post
                              the civilians don't want to kill the military personnel ? so they cut off his food and water because they thought it would be a nice diet ?
                              No, I disagree. They never got to the point where they deliberately refused to give food and water to the other side when they absolutely needed it. It's more forcing Young and the military's hand than wanting to kill them.

Comment

Working...
                              X