PDA

View Full Version : Rush and Chloe

Daro
April 9th, 2010, 10:22 PM
I may regret this later, but I have to ask. This episode established that Chloe and Rush have something of a friendship after their shared ordeal. For my part, I think this is going to go in a father/daughter direction. I think Rush feels responsible for Chloe on some level, being impacted emotionally by Chloe's anguish after she lost her father. But that's a speculation based on my belief that Rush isn't a wicked villain.

Thoughts on the matter?

jelgate
April 9th, 2010, 10:26 PM
I think you are going way out of a limb. Chloe tolerates Rush because of shared goals

Blistna
April 9th, 2010, 10:27 PM
I may regret this later, but I have to ask. This episode established that Chloe and Rush have something of a friendship after their shared ordeal. For my part, I think this is going to go in a father/daughter direction. I think Rush feels responsible for Chloe on some level, being impacted emotionally by Chloe's anguish after she lost her father. But that's a speculation based on my belief that Rush isn't a wicked villain.

Thoughts on the matter?

You might be correct, she is a child at heart still though. But Young never acted on Chloe, while Rush has talked with her, and acts as if he cares about her. What I am trying to get at, is she going to jump loyalities (remember how she hated him and wanted him dead) and now she is willing to take Young out (not kill him)? We shall see....

But for now, it does seem she and him share some sort of bound.

I think you are going way out of a limb. Chloe tolerates Rush because of shared goals

Did you not hear her when she said "He saved my life when Young was willing to kill me..." She said something like that, which some of what she thinks may be manipulated by Rush, but it does seem he and her have a bound of some sort, and whether it grows depends on Rush.

s09119
April 9th, 2010, 10:29 PM

I think that's a little cold... she honestly seems to have some feelings of companionship with him.

Daro
April 9th, 2010, 10:32 PM

I think you're underestimating them. Someone who just 'shares your goals' isn't the person you go looking for when you've had a nightmare, and they aren't the person you side with. Especially when siding with Rush probably ended her relationship with Scott and endangered her relationship with Eli. And at the end of 'Space,' Chloe was already kind of bragging on Rush when she told the others how he figured out the neural interface and such. Chloe has shown very little in the way of animosity toward Young and the military; she was extremely cooperative in 'Justice' during the room checks, and defended Young at the trial. Now, all of a sudden, she's on Rush's side. I can think of no better explanation than being horrified at Young's actions toward Rush, and if she has some emotional investment too now, then all the more horrifying for her.

jelgate
April 9th, 2010, 10:35 PM
I think you're underestimating them. Someone who just 'shares your goals' isn't the person you go looking for when you've had a nightmare, and they aren't the person you side with. Especially when siding with Rush probably ended her relationship with Scott and endangered her relationship with Eli. And at the end of 'Space,' Chloe was already kind of bragging on Rush when she told the others how he figured out the neural interface and such. Chloe has shown very little in the way of animosity toward Young and the military; she was extremely cooperative in 'Justice' during the room checks, and defended Young at the trial. Now, all of a sudden, she's on Rush's side. I can think of no better explanation than being horrified at Young's actions toward Rush, and if she has some emotional investment too now, then all the more horrifying for her.

She didn't go looking for Rush. He just happened to be up as well. Probably from the same nightmares. That horrfication at Young and the events of Justice was the common goal I was talking

Daro
April 9th, 2010, 10:39 PM
Well, yes, she did find him. But remember, we also see her later talking to him in the hallway (much to Matt and Eli's chagrin, it seemed.) Also, uhm, the part where Rush said he checked to make sure Chloe didn't have a scar from an implant...made me raise my eyebrows a little. She could have gone to TJ and played it off as a concern of her own, but she didn't, perhaps to protect Rush's secret. I'm not saying she's his new BFF, but I think they're more than just allies. Wray and Rush? Allies with common goals for now, sure. Not buying it with Chloe, though.

Avenger
April 10th, 2010, 12:01 AM
Rush is the only one experiencing the same thing Rush is, so that gives them a connection that only they can share. It's definitely more than just a shared goals kind of relationship. It's a relationship built on a shared trauma, which can be pretty strong.

pipi
April 10th, 2010, 02:54 AM
When one faces a near death experience it does force them to grow up. She has clearly demonstrated her aligence to the civilian majority, not even telling her FB.

Tabula Rasa
April 10th, 2010, 03:03 AM
Rush has examined Chloe for 'surgical scars' - she must consider him trustworthy to allow him to examine her...

jelgate
April 10th, 2010, 08:37 AM
Well, yes, she did find him. But remember, we also see her later talking to him in the hallway (much to Matt and Eli's chagrin, it seemed.) Also, uhm, the part where Rush said he checked to make sure Chloe didn't have a scar from an implant...made me raise my eyebrows a little. She could have gone to TJ and played it off as a concern of her own, but she didn't, perhaps to protect Rush's secret. I'm not saying she's his new BFF, but I think they're more than just allies. Wray and Rush? Allies with common goals for now, sure. Not buying it with Chloe, though.

Unless said tracking device doesn't leave a scar. I think Chloe would have noticed herself if their is a scar and would then have confided in TJ. It probably was astrophysics type equipment Rush used and I find it more likely he asked to scan her or whatever machine he used

Replicator Todd
April 10th, 2010, 09:05 AM
I liked the idea of Chloe and Rush. :D

hiro
April 10th, 2010, 09:08 AM
Rush is the only one experiencing the same thing Rush is, so that gives them a connection that only they can share. It's definitely more than just a shared goals kind of relationship. It's a relationship built on a shared trauma, which can be pretty strong.

I agree ! Scott can't "understand" the nightmares , Rush instead have the same nightmares and is the only one .... i think that a kind of friendship they'll start to develop

hedwig
April 10th, 2010, 09:18 AM
Did you not hear her when she said "He saved my life when Young was willing to kill me..." She said something like that, which some of what she thinks may be manipulated by Rush, but it does seem he and her have a bound of some sort, and whether it grows depends on Rush.

This may not be exactly on topic, but apparently Chloe doesn't realize that Young is actually the one that saved her. He went after her when the aliens snatched her. He didn't know Rush was aboard the alien vessel, so it was Chloe he was trying to find and save. I have to wonder if no one told her that after she got back.

Sure, Rush was the one that broke her out of the watery container and brought her back to the ship, but he couldn't have done that had Young not gone to the alien vessel in the first place.

I really, really find it hard to believe that no one told her "well, Colonel Young went over there looking for you to save you (and in doing so discovered Rush and broke him out of the container), but got disconnected from the stone before he could find you, so Rush saved you instead". I really think that should count for something to Chloe, ... but apparently it doesn't.

She's also mad at Young for leaving Rush behind on the planet and thinks (as many do, including me) that was wrong of him. But, he himself said he was unhappy with himself for sinking that low. While going to the alien ship to save her doesn't cancel out what he did to Rush, one would think trying to save her would gain him some points in her mind.

I think Chloe has some very serious growing up to do, because she hasn't acted in a very adult manner throughout the show so far (IMO).

And now, by siding with Rush, she has betrayed (big time) the people who apparently cared the most about her and supported her the most through this entire ordeal (Eli and Scott - and Young, in his own way). She deliberately distracted Eli so he wouldn't see what was going on with the computers. And she certainly has betrayed Scott by her choice. (Though I'm pretty sure he'll wind up forgiving her in an episode or two.)

When one faces a near death experience it does force them to grow up. She has clearly demonstrated her aligence to the civilian majority, not even telling her FB.

I don't think this incident has caused her to grow up at all. Declaring allegiance to the civilian majority doesn't constitute growing up (IMO). Choosing a particular side doesn't require maturity or being grown up. And I'm pretty sure her current loyalty to Rush will falter down the road, and she'll switch sides again.

garhkal
April 10th, 2010, 11:04 AM
That is a good point, that if young had NOT gone to the ship and freed rush, she would not hav been saved, but there is still the part he was willing to blow UP that ship while she and rush were still there.

hiro
April 10th, 2010, 11:07 AM
That is a good point, that if young had NOT gone to the ship and freed rush, she would not hav been saved, but there is still the part he was willing to blow UP that ship while she and rush were still there.

this decision i think that wasn't personal , it was for the good of the crew ... i think

hedwig
April 10th, 2010, 11:36 AM

Yours is a good point, too. The actions pretty much cancel each other out, but she's chosen to condemn him for being willing to blow up the ship with her on it (even though it would have been for the "greater good"), but not give him credit for saving her and Rush (which is what bugs me:)).

this decision i think that wasn't personal , it was for the good of the crew ... i think

I agree. And I could be mistaken, but I thought he said (or somebody said somewhere in the episode) "for the good of the crew". I'll have to go back and watch again. :)

jelgate
April 10th, 2010, 11:55 AM

80 vs 2 people. Its not a hard choice.

EllieVee
April 10th, 2010, 05:43 PM
I liked Rush's wry appreciation of Young using his own utilitarian philosophy as an argument against him.

reddevil18
April 10th, 2010, 05:47 PM
Incestuous father-daughter relationship?

EllieVee
April 10th, 2010, 05:47 PM
Um, what?

carmencatalina
April 10th, 2010, 06:41 PM
I would say more like classic May-December romance - hey, in academia, a 40-something guy with a 20-something girl is common as dirt. Sometimes causes trouble if she is his student, though.

skarwolf
April 10th, 2010, 06:53 PM
Chloe just hasn't seen Ravenous yet...

carmencatalina
April 10th, 2010, 06:55 PM
I love Carlyle in Ravenous.

But that's off topic - sorry, where were we again?

ckwongau
April 10th, 2010, 09:08 PM
Chloe was Col Young 's defense when Dr Rush frame him for murder.
Chloe may not be a real lawyer ,but for defense Counselor to side with the guy who frame her client.

Col Young's action ,(like abandon Rush on that planet, and almost kill Rush and Chloe when they escape form the alien,) probably worst than anything Rush ever done.

EllieVee
April 11th, 2010, 02:35 AM
Chloe just hasn't seen Ravenous yet...

Colonel Ives was so sexy.

'Of course, we've no wish to recruit everyone. We've enough mouths to feed as it is!'

magictrick
April 11th, 2010, 11:49 AM
I'm pretty sure Rush is just getting close to her so he can have an ally if he needs her help at some point in the future. I mean just look at how she helped him out in the Coup.

hiro
April 11th, 2010, 11:54 AM
Incestuous father-daughter relationship?

I would say more like classic May-December romance - hey, in academia, a 40-something guy with a 20-something girl is common as dirt. Sometimes causes trouble if she is his student, though.

:comeon:

i think that Rush also feels alone .. and with the weird experience he find a person who share with ... nothing more ...

garhkal
April 11th, 2010, 03:17 PM
I agree. And I could be mistaken, but I thought he said (or somebody said somewhere in the episode) "for the good of the crew". I'll have to go back and watch again. :)

The only time that phrase was mentioned was when Young and Rush had their little chat near the end.

Pharaoh Atem
April 11th, 2010, 07:06 PM
she has no one else to talk to about her experience .

pipi
April 11th, 2010, 07:59 PM
I'm pretty sure Rush is just getting close to her so he can have an ally if he needs her help at some point in the future. I mean just look at how she helped him out in the Coup.

I pretty sure he was just talking to Chloe to get more information about the aliens and to prob her for any planted bugs. There was nothing personal and he wasn't doing it just to curry favour later. It's not that complicated. Just because someone talks to someone doesn't mean there are ulterior motives. It's as simple has a hello.

Replicator Todd
April 11th, 2010, 08:23 PM
she has no one else to talk to about her experience .

Sure she does, she can talk about it anyone! But Rush is likely the only person who might fully relate to the experience.

hiro
April 12th, 2010, 12:29 AM
Sure she does, she can talk about it anyone! But Rush is likely the only person who might fully relate to the experience.

related and the only person that can understand she ... we have to suppose that he spend a week in that water tank

Daro
April 12th, 2010, 01:55 AM
I am also never entirely convinced that anything Rush does is what it seems. But my instinct tells me that, from what we saw on the alien ship in "Space," his genuine gut reaction was to save Chloe. I've thought for a while that he felt some sort of obligation toward her. He appears upset earlier in the season when she attacks him (physically and verbally) for his cold, logical approach to human life.

But to say that Rush ONLY acts out of self-interest or part of a broader plan is something I'd have to disagree with. From a story perspective, keeping Rush completely emotionally isolated will quickly make him a villain. I am guessing that few characters on SGU, especially the main ones like Rush and Young, are going to be portrayed as sterotypical evil or good people. From within the story, I'd have to say that Rush would be abnormal in the extreme to never develop a deeper emotional attachment to his ship-mates. Especially someone like Eli or Chloe, people he should feel responsible for (and has shown that he does, I think.) Like others have said, Chloe and Rush also share this emotionally traumatic event, and seeking each other out and sharing their experiences is the only therapy they're likely to get. It's human nature. TJ is there to talk to, but she wasn't there and she has no idea what happened to either of them, really.

For that matter, I suspect we viewers only know the half of what torments Rush and Chloe underwent. If the aliens actually succeed in boarding Destiny I'd be willing to bet we'll see a whole new, very vengeful side of one or both of them.

Slightly out of topic, but I like to see Rush finally afraid of things. Young, the aliens, etc. He's no coward, he's shown that. But I think he'd be downright stupid not to develop some issues after what he's been through.

Jper
April 12th, 2010, 05:35 AM
She didn't go looking for Rush. He just happened to be up as well. Probably from the same nightmares. That horrfication at Young and the events of Justice was the common goal I was talking

Yes she did. And no he didn't just happened to be up as well. Their interactions and dialogue made a clear that this was far from the first time they had been there, and they clearly already discussed and described their shared nightmares before what we saw in Divided.

No it wasn't. There was a huge chance that firing upon the enemy vessel again would overload the weapon and blow up Destiny. The enemy was retreating, and Young still wanted to fire to give them something to remember him by. Totally wacko. Just as Young wanted to fire on the three enemy ships in Divided.

And there's much more to the Chloe-Rush relationship than only the fact of Young wanting to fire on the ship while Chloe was still aboard.

* There's the fact that Young left Rush on the planet. And from Chloe's POV, with all her principles, that's quite a horrific thing to do. And we are far from sure, Chloe knows that Rush tried to frame Young.
* Rush did save Matt in Divided.
* Chloe was Young's attorney in Justice. I think that influenced her decision as well.
* Surely, Chloe, just as all the other people can see how Young isn't fit to lead. If she wanted to support a mutiny where no one would get hurt, i.e. Matt and Eli, her best chance for this is to use Rush his knowledge of the workings of Destiny to force their hand, and end it with someone getting hurt or dieing.
* There's the connection with the death of her father and Rush his speech afterwards. Rush seemed quite upright and honest then. Maybe she didn't want to hear it then, but I'm sure it stuck with her.
* Chloe feels useless on board. Her alliance with Rush and Wray gives her a new function, and role. One she is very comfortable with. Being a representative for a leadership.

EllieVee
April 12th, 2010, 05:37 AM
Jper, as much as I adore you, can you not use 'crush'? Please? It's yuck.

Jper
April 12th, 2010, 05:39 AM
Jper, as much as I adore you, can you not use 'crush'? Please? It's yuck.

Sure. Edited.

EllieVee
April 12th, 2010, 05:46 AM
Sure. Edited.

*loves Jper*

carmencatalina
April 12th, 2010, 06:51 AM
:comeon:

i think that Rush also feels alone .. and with the weird experience he find a person who share with ... nothing more ...

I wasn't being serious - I don't think they are actually romantically involved, and for some reason, don't think that's the directions the writers will go - I think they had bonded over this horrible shared experience, and fleeing for their lives together.

But if the writers did want to "go there", there is certainly plenty of real-life examples of a relationship of that type. Common enough, whatever I may personally think of it.

Jper
April 12th, 2010, 07:04 AM
I wasn't being serious - I don't think they are actually romantically involved, and for some reason, don't think that's the directions the writers will go - I think they had bonded over this horrible shared experience, and fleeing for their lives together.

But if the writers did want to "go there", there is certainly plenty of real-life examples of a relationship of that type. Common enough, whatever I may personally think of it.

Imagine that, the beginning of a romantic Chloe-Rush relationship was founded here. :D Oh, that'd be great, if only it was for the controversy that would arise. :D

hiro
April 12th, 2010, 07:16 AM
Imagine that, the beginning of a romantic Chloe-Rush relationship was founded here. :D Oh, that'd be great, if only it was for the controversy that would arise. :D

come on !!! i think in a Eli - Chloe relationship !!! Rush will have to search for a beautiful alien ... like Daniel did long time ago !

Jper
April 12th, 2010, 07:30 AM
come on !!! i think in a Eli - Chloe relationship !!! Rush will have to search for a beautiful alien ... like Daniel did long time ago !

Now that would be controversial as well, 'cause I distinctly remember that there wouldn't be English speaking humans on SGU as aliens. So imagine that: "Rush and a smurf". The new Romeo & Julia. Maybe even better than Chloe and Rush... Or NOT! :D Go Crush! :D :p :p

hiro
April 12th, 2010, 07:37 AM
Now that would be controversial as well, 'cause I distinctly remember that there wouldn't be English speaking humans on SGU as aliens. So imagine that: "Rush and a smurf". The new Romeo & Julia. Maybe even better than Chloe and Rush... Or NOT! :D Go Crush! :D :p :p

He can learn smurf no ? he learn ancient ! and they can have a nice blue creature together =D

carmencatalina
April 12th, 2010, 07:40 AM
The blue aliens did have lovely (very creepy, but lovely) eyes. And think of the poetry:

"Shall I compare thee to a summer's day? Thou art more lovely and blue as the sky above . . ."

Jper
April 12th, 2010, 07:54 AM
O Rush, Rush,
wherefore art thou Rush?
Deny Young and refuse to follow his command,
Or if thou wilt not, be but sworn my love,
And Iíll no longer be a Smurf.

carmencatalina
April 12th, 2010, 07:59 AM
Shakespeare and SGU - it works for me!

Daro
April 12th, 2010, 01:41 PM
I personally would love to see Rush bond in some way with an alien. I don't think he and the blue aliens are gonna have a good chance of producing that, though. After all, they did torture him.
I really would like to see the introduction of sympathetic, non-humanoid aliens. Maybe one or two that even end up living on Destiny.

Jper
April 12th, 2010, 01:49 PM
Even more, Rush killed one. Juliet's stubborn father probably. :D

mgbland
April 12th, 2010, 03:35 PM
Chloe seems to have forgot Rush is the reason they are on Destiny in the first place, and an indirect cause of her Father's death. Personally, I think the only reason Rush saved Chloe is so that they'd let him back on Destiny.

If someone was responsible for the death of my father, I would NEVER side with him. I certainly wouldn't think of him as an "inconvenience."

hiro
April 12th, 2010, 04:02 PM
Chloe seems to have forgot Rush is the reason they are on Destiny in the first place, and an indirect cause of her Father's death. Personally, I think the only reason Rush saved Chloe is so that they'd let him back on Destiny.

If someone was responsible for the death of my father, I would NEVER side with him. I certainly wouldn't think of him as an "inconvenience."

I think that he's not and indirect cause of her father death ... the Lucian Alliance is the main reason, he maybe wouldn't survive in earth neither

Daro
April 12th, 2010, 04:23 PM

Rush was one factor in her father's death. But there were several others. The Lucian aliance, and the injuries he sustained during the fight. If dialing Earth was too risky (a real concern, I think,) then they would have gone elsewhere, and the end result might have been the same anyway. But Rush's decision to take them to the ninth chevron address was the clincher.

That said, Rush didn't know they'd be stranded. Also, Senator Armstrong chose to sacrifice himself. Greer says he was 'dead on his feet,' but Chloe probably doesn't believe that. If she had, she wouldn't have left his side, no matter what he told her to do.

Forgiveness is a very personal thing. While you might think you wouldn't be able to forgive someone who contributed to a loved one's death, it certainly isn't unheard of. My own father died as a result of several factors, and I was able to forgive the people involved because they didn't ever intend to cause harm.

Also, I don't think Rush sees Chloe as simply a bargaining chip. He looked genuinely upset when she attacked him in the first episode. Almost on the verge of tears, imo. And when he looked into the alien's mind and saw that Chloe was in trouble, he stopped what he was doing, killed the alien, and went looking for her despite the fact that it would have been less dangerous for him to just go straight to the shuttle. He could have kept gathering information, would have if he were truly as cold as you imply. I think he saved Chloe for truly altruistic reasons.

If someone saved my life like that, I might be willing to forgive them, even befriend them, despite what happened in the past.

The argument that Rush is the reason they're on Destiny is never far from most viewer's minds. Being able to move past that and judge him as he changes with the events of each episode is the only way anyone would be able to see him as anything other than a villain. If it always boils down to that, then there's no reason for the writers to ever show him doing anything good - but they do. He may have been somewhat of a villain to start with, but these past few episodes may indicate a real change going on inside him.

carmencatalina
April 12th, 2010, 07:27 PM
Forgiveness is a very personal thing. While you might think you wouldn't be able to forgive someone who contributed to a loved one's death, it certainly isn't unheard of. My own father died as a result of several factors, and I was able to forgive the people involved because they didn't ever intend to cause harm.

This is a very good point - and, on a personal note, I'm sorry for your loss.

nx01a
April 12th, 2010, 07:38 PM
Chloe needs someone [or some man] to protect her or comfort her. First daddy, then Scott, now Rush. She isn't her own woman, it seems.
Rush will do something to make her leave his side and she'll find some other man to cling to. Hopefully Greer. He'll set her straight in one. :D

Daro
April 12th, 2010, 07:59 PM
This is a very good point - and, on a personal note, I'm sorry for your loss.

Thanks, and it's ok. It was a long time ago. Which I guess would be another thing to add - time heals wounds. Though Chloe got over her hatred of Rush a lot faster than most would.

pipi
April 13th, 2010, 03:05 AM
Though Chloe got over her hatred of Rush a lot faster than most would.

Why does she hate him in the first place? Did I miss something.

Daro
April 13th, 2010, 04:27 AM

The part in "Air," after her dad died, where she tracked Rush down, kicked him across the room and proceeded to beat him like a red-headed stepchild was the biggest clue. ;)

EllieVee
April 13th, 2010, 04:35 AM
Even more, Rush killed one. Juliet's stubborn father probably. :D

And my useless contribution to the topic is that Romeo and Juliet would have been more interesting if she'd had a sassy gay friend ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwnFE_NpMsE

That said ... At the time, it didn't really seem like that.

Perhaps Chloe is the forgiving type.

jelgate
April 13th, 2010, 10:38 AM

She blamed him for her father's death. But I say enough time has passed for the most part for her to blame Rush. Maybe a little bit but not that much

ladypredator
April 13th, 2010, 11:19 AM
This may not be exactly on topic, but apparently Chloe doesn't realize that Young is actually the one that saved her. He went after her when the aliens snatched her. He didn't know Rush was aboard the alien vessel, so it was Chloe he was trying to find and save. I have to wonder if no one told her that after she got back.

While Young may have gotten Rush out of that tank - which he did because he needed to know what was going on and might have felt just a bit of guilt - his next action was to avoid telling anyone that he'd found Rush on that ship and then to give the order to blow it up. The timing of that is very suspicious - he knows that two humans are on that ship now, one of whom is the man he's been lying about trying to murder - and now he's willing to sacrifice Chloe - even when Eli warns him that continuing to fire could blow up Destiny itself.

Rush didn't have to find Chloe and rescue her. He'd figured out how to escape. If he was truly as selfish and evil as some people like to think, he could easily have left her. It was a huge risk to his own life and freedom to take the detour to find her and save her, but he does it immediately and he shows her some real kindness when he's waking her up. I don't think Young has the right to take any credit for saving her, that was all down to Rush's own choice.

Chloe knows that. And she and Rush have been through a terrible nightmare, an intense trauma, that no one else onboard can comprehend or understand. She's very upset with Matt because he can't understand and he's basically telling her to forget about it, that it's over when she knows that it's not.

It's obvious in their scene in the messhall that Rush and Chloe have been discussing their nightmares and experiences and that seeing each other at night, unable to sleep, has become familiar. He asks her if it was the same dream and then says 'me too' - so they've shared their dreams already.

Sharing that kind of trauma can draw people together. And it's not unexpected that trauma puts a big strain on her relationships with people who can't understand what she's feeling.

Also it's obvious that Rush has been confiding in her. He trusts her with the truth about the tracking device even though she could have gone straight to report it. He obviously trusted her with what Young did to him on that planet. And he believes her immediately when she tells him about the danger Young and Scott are in. I think it's for her that he gives in and lets Eli have control back - he wouldn't have done it for Camile. He does that for Chloe.

This will probably have further impact, though I think the show will continue with the Scott/Chloe/Eli dynamic. But I think her relationship with Rush is permanently changed as is her opinion of the military personnel. I wouldn't be surprised if she puts strain on Scott's relationship with Young.

ladypredator
April 13th, 2010, 11:29 AM
Chloe seems to have forgot Rush is the reason they are on Destiny in the first place, and an indirect cause of her Father's death. Personally, I think the only reason Rush saved Chloe is so that they'd let him back on Destiny. If someone was responsible for the death of my father, I would NEVER side with him. I certainly wouldn't think of him as an "inconvenience."

Rush wasn't responsible for her father's death. Her father made his own decision and acted to save her life. Sen. Armstrong held a gun on Greer in order to get into that shuttle. It might have been easy in those early moments of grief to blame Rush, because he was convenient, but Rush never said a word to the Senator about the situation. Chloe was the one who told him what was happening and he made his own decision. It's ridiculous to blame Rush for the deliberate actions taken by another adult.

Yes, Rush got them onboard the Destiny, but that's already been clearly explained. Icarus' core explosion would have blown up them and Earth itself if they'd gone through. The explosion was so powerful that it threw Young the entire length of the gate room airborne and that was over billions of light-years distance. If they'd gated anywhere closer, it would've killed them all. Rush saved their lives.

Sure he had other motives. This is his life's work, his dream. As he told Young in "Light" - coming to Destiny was his destiny. He believes that with absolute certainty.

But most people have multiple reasons for why they act the way they do and Rush isn't any different. He's a complicated man. He's suffering from grief and guilt over his wife's death, he's buried that into an obsessive focus on his work. And he knows just how important Destiny and the scientific discoveries they're making are -probably to the entire human race.

So there's three different motivations - save their lives, fulfill his personal destiny, and the advancement of mankind. As I said, complex - but that's what makes a real person - complex and flawed, and human.

blackluster
April 13th, 2010, 03:47 PM
I'm not sure how long this relationship will last since I don't doubt that Rush will do things that will strain Chloe's belief in him but I'll enjoy it while it is happening. They are a sort of oddball friendship and even if they are only sincere for each other for a little while, it should be enjoyable.

EllieVee
April 13th, 2010, 05:03 PM
She blamed him for her father's death. But I say enough time has passed for the most part for her to blame Rush. Maybe a little bit but not that much

She probably feels some guilt herself. After all, she's the one who told him about the shuttle door.

jelgate
April 13th, 2010, 05:05 PM
She probably feels some guilt herself. After all, she's the one who told him about the shuttle door.

Probably. Its quite common for loved ones of a deceased to feel responsible for a person's death

EllieVee
April 13th, 2010, 05:11 PM
Rush wasn't responsible for her father's death. Her father made his own decision and acted to save her life. Sen. Armstrong held a gun on Greer in order to get into that shuttle. It might have been easy in those early moments of grief to blame Rush, because he was convenient, but Rush never said a word to the Senator about the situation. Chloe was the one who told him what was happening and he made his own decision. It's ridiculous to blame Rush for the deliberate actions taken by another adult.

Yes, Rush got them onboard the Destiny, but that's already been clearly explained. Icarus' core explosion would have blown up them and Earth itself if they'd gone through. The explosion was so powerful that it threw Young the entire length of the gate room airborne and that was over billions of light-years distance. If they'd gated anywhere closer, it would've killed them all. Rush saved their lives.

Sure he had other motives. This is his life's work, his dream. As he told Young in "Light" - coming to Destiny was his destiny. He believes that with absolute certainty.

But most people have multiple reasons for why they act the way they do and Rush isn't any different. He's a complicated man. He's suffering from grief and guilt over his wife's death, he's buried that into an obsessive focus on his work. And he knows just how important Destiny and the scientific discoveries they're making are -probably to the entire human race.

So there's three different motivations - save their lives, fulfill his personal destiny, and the advancement of mankind. As I said, complex - but that's what makes a real person - complex and flawed, and human.

Says everything I wanted to say.

garhkal
April 15th, 2010, 04:23 PM
Also it's obvious that Rush has been confiding in her. He trusts her with the truth about the tracking device even though she could have gone straight to report it. He obviously trusted her with what Young did to him on that planet. And he believes her immediately when she tells him about the danger Young and Scott are in. I think it's for her that he gives in and lets Eli have control back - he wouldn't have done it for Camile. He does that for Chloe.

That is a good point. he Did trust her more than anyone else, even Eli about the device, and also gave in to her request of stopping the transfer but not eli.

ladypredator
April 16th, 2010, 11:59 AM
Though Chloe got over her hatred of Rush a lot faster than most would.

I don't think she ever really hated him. She was hysterical, for good reason, over her father's death and I think she just needed someone other than herself to blame and Rush was convenient. She's the one who told her father about the situation and he sacrificed himself to save her. I think she felt horribly guilty and just acted out like people who feel that kind of grief do - you hit out at whoever is there.

What impressed me in that scene was that Rush truly and sincerely understood. We already knew he felt something similar about the death of his wife (he was crying over her photo), so he knows how she feels and he responded in a sympathetic way. He was really kind to Chloe in that scene, I thought, very honest and sincere.

Then he risks his life to save hers and he shares a very traumatic experience with her.

Besides, don't forget that Rush and Chloe's actions in "Divided" were part of their own private plan to prevent the aliens from breaking through the Destiny's shields again. They were acting out of their own personal fears and concerns, rather than purely supporting Camile's plot.

garhkal
April 16th, 2010, 03:19 PM
So you think that if they left it to wher young and co were still in charge when the blues showed up they would not have been so lucky? Therefore they took control to prevent that?

Daro
April 16th, 2010, 04:34 PM
Why should Rush trust Eli? Eli is obviously on Young's side. Even if he wasn't, Rush knows that Eli cannot lie, or keep his mouth shut. He does trust Eli with the information about the implant, but we saw what a mistake that was. Not that I disagree with Eli telling Young, something had to be done.

Ladypred,

All valid points, and I tend to agree. I actually thought your post was mine when I was reading through it, until I realized a quote of mine was at the start. I'd say Chloe certainly disliked Rush very much, if not for 'Air' than for 'Water.'

EllieVee
April 16th, 2010, 04:37 PM
I don't think she ever really hated him. She was hysterical, for good reason, over her father's death and I think she just needed someone other than herself to blame and Rush was convenient. She's the one who told her father about the situation and he sacrificed himself to save her. I think she felt horribly guilty and just acted out like people who feel that kind of grief do - you hit out at whoever is there.

What impressed me in that scene was that Rush truly and sincerely understood. We already knew he felt something similar about the death of his wife (he was crying over her photo), so he knows how she feels and he responded in a sympathetic way. He was really kind to Chloe in that scene, I thought, very honest and sincere.

Then he risks his life to save hers and he shares a very traumatic experience with her.

Besides, don't forget that Rush and Chloe's actions in "Divided" were part of their own private plan to prevent the aliens from breaking through the Destiny's shields again. They were acting out of their own personal fears and concerns, rather than purely supporting Camile's plot.

And I note, genuinely upset. Muffs the apology, of course, but look at his face when she leaves. He's all Mr Tragic Face.

Daro
April 16th, 2010, 04:41 PM
And I note, genuinely upset. Muffs the apology, of course, but look at his face when she leaves. He's all Mr Tragic Face.

I thought so too. I'd like to see that face again soon. It's been a long time since Rush has shown genuine emotion so clearly. I mean, he has a very emotive face to begin with, but it's been a while since we've seen him get all weepy.

EllieVee
April 16th, 2010, 05:07 PM
I thought so too. I'd like to see that face again soon. It's been a long time since Rush has shown genuine emotion so clearly. I mean, he has a very emotive face to begin with, but it's been a while since we've seen him get all weepy.

I love moody and tragic Rush.

garhkal
April 17th, 2010, 10:11 AM
I just hope he doesn;t go all goth on us.

EllieVee
April 17th, 2010, 06:02 PM
I just hope he doesn;t go all goth on us.

He's not wearing the right clothes for goth.