PDA

View Full Version : Opening Song

merrik86
April 9th, 2010, 10:07 PM
Does anyone know the make of the song playing when Chloe is walking thru the halls and finds herself in that tank? It was a cool song, and I want to know who sings it and the title.

Pharaoh Atem
April 9th, 2010, 10:08 PM
http://forum.gateworld.net/threads/73731-Divided-(112)-General-Discussion?p=11388598&viewfull=1#post11388598

your answer

AVFan
April 10th, 2010, 12:17 AM
Ugh, it was terrible IMO. The whole sequence was over-dramatized and painful to watch. I rolled my eyes about 5 times throughout.

JMO though.

jimv1983
April 10th, 2010, 01:35 AM
Ugh, it was terrible IMO. The whole sequence was over-dramatized and painful to watch. I rolled my eyes about 5 times throughout.

JMO though.

I agree 100%. Overly dramatic scene. Dramatic depressing song. Painful to watch. Didn't add anything to the episode.

stimpy77
April 10th, 2010, 01:42 AM
Well for what it's worth (not much I'm sure) I have to chime in and disagree. I was seriously moved by Space (previous episode), finally we have some real alien interplay here, and so watching Divided with this sequence and this music I was nodding my head and muttering, "Nice." I thought it was surprisingly appropriate.

The cliche of a nightmare is to have this eerie, haunting ambient music that leads to unmusical noise and discomforting sound effects at which point the character wakes up in a cold sweat. Instead, they decided to play on how this character feels while actually entertaining us, using a highly dramatic rock tune. Good of them, I say.

jimv1983
April 10th, 2010, 02:06 AM
Well for what it's worth (not much I'm sure) I have to chime in and disagree. I was seriously moved by Space (previous episode), finally we have some real alien interplay here, and so watching Divided with this sequence and this music I was nodding my head and muttering, "Nice." I thought it was surprisingly appropriate.

The cliche of a nightmare is to have this eerie, haunting ambient music that leads to unmusical noise and discomforting sound effects at which point the character wakes up in a cold sweat. Instead, they decided to play on how this character feels while actually entertaining us, using a highly dramatic rock tune. Good of them, I say.

I wouldn't call that scene entertaining and I wouldn't call that song rock, it was more like pop.

wargrafix
April 10th, 2010, 02:27 AM
it was ok, but I think the reliance on songs will come back to bite the series. like that god awful song in the club.

Vapor
April 10th, 2010, 02:37 AM
It's funny, I recognized the vocals from the song, as I loved the band's first two albums, but after that their music just took a weird turn that I couldn't get into. This song belongs to one of their later albums that I know nothing about. It was weird to suddenly say to myself "Wait a second, is this a Brand New song?"

For the record, though, I loved the scene. As I said in another thread, it depicted the feeling of isolation and helplessness Chloe was feeling. The few shots of her mother were so random, but dramatically relevant, as anyone could find themselves thinking of a relative in situations like that.

I wouldn't exactly crank up the song on the radio, but I thought it was effective in the scene for sure.

Pharaoh Atem
April 10th, 2010, 05:00 AM
When the song played I was expecting chole to try to kill herself considering the song brought up hanging and rope

reddevil18
April 10th, 2010, 05:05 AM
I wouldn't call that scene entertaining and I wouldn't call that song rock, it was more like pop.No, that was rock. Pop-punk, maybe.
And wouldn't you know it? You didn't like something about the show. What a surprise.

I thought it was cool, much better than most dream sequences on TV.

pointoforigin
April 10th, 2010, 05:34 AM
. It was weird to suddenly say to myself "Wait a second, is this a Brand New song?"

same here. When I was watching the episode I was like - hey that songs sounds familiar - is that Brand New? Holy, it is Brand New! I've listened to the "The Devil and God Are Raging Inside Me" CD for a long long time and know the songs by heart.
For me SGU definitely makes up for the fact that it's not that great with including great music into the episodes.
First they had Flogging Molly with "Worst day since yesterday" and now Brand New with "You Won't Know".
Awesome!

missmobius
April 10th, 2010, 07:25 AM
I liked it :)

12OzMouse
April 10th, 2010, 07:45 AM
I've been very impressed with the music they've chosen so far, too. Is there anyplace that lists the songs in each episode?

Vapor
April 10th, 2010, 07:47 AM
http://forum.gateworld.net/threads/71585-Contemporary-Music-in-SGU-*spoilers-for-most-recently-aired-episode*

EvilSpaceAlien
April 10th, 2010, 07:47 AM
I've been very impressed with the music they've chosen so far, too. Is there anyplace that lists the songs in each episode?

http://forum.gateworld.net/threads/71585-Contemporary-Music-in-SGU-*spoilers-for-most-recently-aired-episode*

EDIT: Damn you Vapor! :P

12OzMouse
April 10th, 2010, 07:50 AM
Thanks, nice one!

Jper
April 10th, 2010, 07:55 AM
I liked it :)

So did I. :)

jelgate
April 10th, 2010, 08:53 AM
When the song played I was expecting chole to try to kill herself considering the song brought up hanging and rope

Don't give reddevil any ideas

Vapor
April 10th, 2010, 08:53 AM
EDIT: Damn you Vapor! :P

Heh, heh. :)

AVFan
April 10th, 2010, 01:25 PM
First they had Flogging Molly with "Worst day since yesterday" and now Brand New with "You Won't Know".
Awesome!

See, I liked the Flogging Molly song. It went well with the scene that it was put with- kind of an ironic happy/sad mix. This one was just too overdone for my taste.

Loheat
April 10th, 2010, 05:22 PM
I liked the song, so much so in fact I think it was wasted on a 'dream.' I would much rather have seen at a more important scene, like at the end when the ship is under attack.
Still, it really kept me hooked on that scene, which I enjoyed very much

B O Y S C O U T
April 11th, 2010, 06:36 AM
You won't know, was a great choice, dramatic opening that immediately draws people in. Perfect song that played out perfectly with the action on the screen.

Pharaoh Atem
April 11th, 2010, 06:39 AM
worst choice so far

FallenAngelII
April 11th, 2010, 09:42 AM
The scene was way too long. They should've cut it down. Also, imagine how much money was spent on that. They couldn't afford to show Chloe being sucked into the hole (not to mention the better writing for the original scene), but they instead splurge on a random song in this episode (with special effects)?! Priorities, PTB! Priorities!

The Destiny
April 11th, 2010, 10:20 AM
It was a little under 2 minutes, although it's a fairly lengthy for a dream scene it's not ridiculously long. And it establishes how Chloe is feeling and that Rush can connect to her. It makes it sowehat more rational for her to join Rush's side and the civilians.

They couldn't afford to show Chloe being sucked into the hole (not to mention the better writing for the original scene), but they instead splurge on a random song in this episode (with special effects)?! Priorities, PTB! Priorities!

didn't show her being sucked into the hole? huh?
* rewatches *
* sees chloe being sucked up into the hole by the aliens *
Are we watching the same thing?Or are talking about something else? Do you mean they didn't show it in space? I feel it has far more impact seeing it for the first time in divided, instead of seeing it for a second time after seeing it happen in space.

I liked the song. I liked the tune/melody that was playing ( could've let out the singing up to when chloe is being sucked up ) and it was nicely timed. The song went wild at the moment chloe got sucked up and thrown into the tank.

FallenAngelII
April 11th, 2010, 10:46 AM
? Do you mean they didn't show it in space?Yes.

They originally planned to show her being sucked into the hole but a lacking special effects budget instead had her walk towards the hole like an idiot.

MattSilver 3k
April 11th, 2010, 10:48 AM
Yes.

They originally planned to show her being sucked into the hole but a lacking special effects budget instead had her walk towards the hole like an idiot.

Bold words for emphasis purposes.

major davis
April 11th, 2010, 01:57 PM

JMO though.

Suprisingly, I hated it too. So far every montage they have done have been amazing, but this one stunk for some reason. It was a little over the top and the song was terrible. The weird thing is I usually love their song choice. I have "Breath", "Worst day since yesterday", and "now comes the night" on my ipod and I listen to them often. But just the thought of ever hearing the song and watching the sequence again is not pleasant. ;)

dxdjames
April 11th, 2010, 03:27 PM
The song was called "You Won't Know" and it's by a kick *ss band called Brand New. I was stoked to tune into SGU and hear one of my favs. You should all check them out!

reddevil18
April 11th, 2010, 03:42 PM
The song was called "You Won't Know" and it's by a kick *ss band called Brand New. I was stoked to tune into SGU and hear one of my favs. You should all check them out!You their manager or something?

dxdjames
April 11th, 2010, 03:47 PM
You their manager or something?

Just a longtime fan. :)

Jper
April 11th, 2010, 03:47 PM
You their manager or something?

:D Touché my red friend. :) Too bad I just greened you. :) :lol:

KEK
April 11th, 2010, 03:53 PM
Yes.

Off topic, but as MattSilver 3k has alluded to, bolding words like you do doesn't help make your point, it just makes your posts really annoying to read.

The Destiny
April 11th, 2010, 04:05 PM
Off topic, but as MattSilver 3k has alluded to, bolding words like you do doesn't help make your point, it just makes your posts really annoying to read.

Although posts in caps are more annoying still. :)

The footage of chloe being sucked up in divided could easily have been used in space ( just from the point of view of another camera, instead of one of the shots where they look through the door window ) , so it won't be budget reasons. They only have to shoot it once ( although multiple takes maybe ) and can use it in 2 episodes while using different camera angles.

reddevil18
April 11th, 2010, 04:21 PM
Just a longtime fan. :)Nah, don't worry. I actually have all 4 of their albums on my computer.

:D Touché my red friend. :) Too bad I just greened you. :) :lol:Drats! I'll take an IOU.

stimpy77
April 11th, 2010, 06:54 PM
I wouldn't call that scene entertaining and I wouldn't call that song rock, it was more like pop.

Uh, no .. Michael Jackson is more like pop. I know it was a dream sequence but I didn't see any moonwalking.

Pharaoh Atem
April 11th, 2010, 06:56 PM

it was rock. pop is the back street boys

globex
April 11th, 2010, 07:52 PM
emo music. I had to turn the volume on mute for 5 minutes for this bad song to end. Emo music doesn't belong in stargate.

Nevertheless, the score(as usual) was amazing. Really was great tension music.

The Destiny
April 12th, 2010, 11:11 AM
I had to turn the volume on mute for 5 minutes for this bad song to end.

How odd, because the dream sequence lasted for 2 minutes. I guess you missed 3 minutes of SGU original score.. :P

Egle01
April 12th, 2010, 12:56 PM
I really liked the music. Well, I almost listen to everything, but this song isn't what I usually listen. Yet it worked well with Chloe's dream and illustrated her emotions perfectly. Loved the quiet part from the song we heard it as Chloe walked towards the mess.

Ser Scot A Ellison
April 12th, 2010, 01:36 PM
I rather liked the song. Thanks for the title and band name.

asdf1239
April 12th, 2010, 06:18 PM
i skipped the opening sequence because of the song

globex
April 13th, 2010, 01:40 PM
How odd, because the dream sequence lasted for 2 minutes. I guess you missed 3 minutes of SGU original score.. :P

I'll admit I exaggerated about the length of the song there :p. I am a HUGE fan of score music but never for this emo trash music.

prion
April 13th, 2010, 01:56 PM
The opening song was definitely keyed toward a "CW" type of audience. I'd rather Stargate (did we even see the gate in this episode??) stick with musical scores. Let Smallville go the popular music route.

Daro
April 13th, 2010, 02:00 PM
I'm not going to get my panties in a twist if the gate itself isn't featured in every episode, personally. But, just to point it out, yeah it was. In Chloe's dream sequence, she walks through the gate room. :P