PDA

View Full Version : Medical inconsistencies

DigiFluid
April 9th, 2010, 08:05 PM
I really, really enjoyed this episode a lot. Up until the last 10 minutes or so, when it all stopped making any sense.

How is it, after they were being blocked in the previous episode, the stones are suddenly working just in time to resolve this episode?

Where did they get the nasal oxygen tubes?

Couldn't they have at least TRIED to keep the surgical area sanitary? (Ie: minimize the number of people)

Why wasn't Rush screaming in agony at the GAPING HOLE IN HIS CHEST WITH A TUBE STUFFED INTO IT when he woke up momentarily?

Urgh. Up until the end it was a really terrific episode, I hardly even realized that it had been nearly an hour. The 'resolution' of the revolt was pretty underwhelming too.

Hopefully the division story doesn't just end like this.

s09119
April 9th, 2010, 08:09 PM
I really, really enjoyed this episode a lot. Up until the last 10 minutes or so, when it all stopped making any sense.

How is it, after they were being blocked in the previous episode, the stones are suddenly working just in time to resolve this episode?

Couldn't they have at least TRIED to keep the surgical area sanitary? (Ie: minimize the number of people)

Why wasn't Rush screaming in agony at the GAPING HOLE IN HIS CHEST WITH A TUBE STUFFED INTO IT when he woke up momentarily?

Urgh. Up until the end it was a really terrific episode, I hardly even realized that it had been nearly an hour. The 'resolution' of the revolt was pretty underwhelming too.

They took some medical supplies with them, we know that. And remember, the stones aren't working perfectly now; the connection cuts out. As for why Rush wasn't screaming... TJ said there was a local anesthetic applied, so he wouldn't have felt anything.

kymeric
April 9th, 2010, 08:10 PM
Its a scifi show about aliens, documentaries about surgery are on the discovery channel....

randomking
April 9th, 2010, 08:10 PM
sanitized....for rush naaaaa he is dirty alredy....and the stones never blocked....they just "hiccuped" lol

Pharaoh Atem
April 9th, 2010, 08:12 PM
alien venom we don't know what affect it has on the human body, for all we know rush won't feel pain for hours

Avenger
April 9th, 2010, 08:13 PM
We don't know to what extent they tried to make the area as sterile as they could before the surgery started, so it's entirely possible that everyone there scrubbed in as best they could.

TJ obviously brought some medical stuff with her and it wouldn't be implausible to think that there were medical supplies brought through the gate when they first came aboard.

No idea what the effect of the venom is on humans. Perhaps, despite being awake, he still wouldn't feel pain.

There are lots of unanswered questions about the stones and no one has a clear understanding of how they worked.

Cory Holmes
April 9th, 2010, 08:14 PM
Also, have you seen the condition hospital ERs are in? Take one glance at that and you'd think that those rooms were startingly unsterile.

DigiFluid
April 9th, 2010, 08:14 PM
Its a scifi show about aliens, documentaries about surgery are on the discovery channel....
Syfy is exempt from consistency and logic now?

Oh and no, it's not. It's a show about human beings and survival. 2 kinds of aliens in 3 episodes out of 12 is hardly "about aliens".

Replicator Todd
April 9th, 2010, 08:15 PM
I never try to make sense of a sci-fi show. :D

Pharaoh Atem
April 9th, 2010, 08:15 PM

s09119
April 9th, 2010, 08:21 PM
Also, have you seen the condition hospital ERs are in? Take one glance at that and you'd think that those rooms were startingly unsterile.

What do you expect them to do, exactly? They didn't have much time.

Pharaoh Atem
April 9th, 2010, 08:21 PM

and the ships a million years old.

Cory Holmes
April 9th, 2010, 08:31 PM

I'm not complaining :) Just pointing out that the medical bay on Desinty looks about as clean and sterile as an ER does, which is a good thing.

randomking
April 9th, 2010, 08:35 PM
my biggest grip was the fact that they sent a docter that just seemed iffy...ok wondering about the keno ("a what" lol) eye atached to a tub...but when she kinda shocked that they were under attack...

Cory Holmes
April 9th, 2010, 08:37 PM
my biggest grip was the fact that they sent a docter that just seemed iffy...ok wondering about the keno ("a what" lol) eye atached to a tub...but when she kinda shocked that they were under attack...

I liked TJ's line. "*smirk* Welcome to Destiny." Even better was the matter-of-factness about it :)

kymeric
April 9th, 2010, 08:38 PM
Syfy is exempt from consistency and logic now?

Oh and no, it's not. It's a show about human beings and survival. 2 kinds of aliens in 3 episodes out of 12 is hardly "about aliens".

U mean 3 kinds of aliens, 4 if u count the lucian alliance in ep 1. Really, i mean shes a medic and the dr was a dr, you think they would just somehow forget how to do what they do. Clearly whatever they needed to do they did. But go ahead, feel smarter than a tv show if thats what you really want.

erotavlas
April 9th, 2010, 08:53 PM

They would have started working as soon as Rush killed the alien in the previous episode.

I doubt a few extra people would have made that much of a difference considering the whole room and possibly even the instruments they were using on Rush may not have been fully sanitized.

Have you ever woken up from anesthetic? As soon as you wake up you just don't have the ability to scream in agony even if you wanted to...

jelgate
April 9th, 2010, 09:11 PM
I've gotten use to it by now. Most of the shows are highly errorical when it comes to medicine

Loheat
April 9th, 2010, 10:21 PM
Yeah, I'm willing to let slide some medical 'errors' mainly because I have no experience in medicine. I will say that sequence did feel the most 'Stargate' the way they were like, yeah here we are, use this camera thingy.*Boom* oh yeah we're under attack, btw. Just something I could of scene SG1 or the SGA team saying

Krisz
April 9th, 2010, 11:50 PM
I just thought it was funny how Rush regained consciousness and still managed to be really put out with what they were doing to him!

Was he dragged to the operating area kicking and swearing? The scene changed so quickly. One minute he was really surprised that it was even suggested that the tracking device be cut out of him, and the next he was lying there being cut open! What really baffled me was the fact that there was hardly any blood, especially under the pretty rough conditions they were supposedly operating under. I guess that so called venom anesthetic/analgesic affected the blood pressure and clotting ability too. What an amazing convenient all round thing it is! :P

jimv1983
April 10th, 2010, 01:47 AM
U mean 3 kinds of aliens, 4 if u count the lucian alliance in ep 1. Really, i mean shes a medic and the dr was a dr, you think they would just somehow forget how to do what they do. Clearly whatever they needed to do they did. But go ahead, feel smarter than a tv show if thats what you really want.

The only real aliens we saw were the blue ones. The Lucian Alliance is technically human. Are you counting the sand stuff as an alien?

Phenomenological
April 10th, 2010, 03:35 AM
The only real aliens we saw were the blue ones. The Lucian Alliance is technically human. Are you counting the sand stuff as an alien?

Alien: a form of life assumed to exist outside the Earth or its atmosphere

Yea, the sand stuff would indeed be an alien.

missmobius
April 10th, 2010, 07:30 AM
I never try to make sense of a sci-fi show. :D

Me neither, I want to suspend my belief systems when I watch SciFi, that's the whole point :)

Jper
April 10th, 2010, 07:53 AM

Yeah, but we still don't know exactly what happened. Did the alien have a communication stone? Did Rush take it with him, and then did Rush take it with him again, back to Destiny? Also, didn't Rush kill that alien? Maybe the aliens stopped blocking/using the stones? etc. Also, you must admit that those stones seem much more unreliable than before, in the first half. And the stones didn't actually work so well. The connection broke halfway through the operation.

Probably brought it with them when they came through. Made them? Creative thinking... If Greer can make a flamethrower and they can recharge their electrical equipment and they can create a hydroponics lab etc., surely such a thing a two simple rubber tubes isn't that extra-ordinary.

You've ever been in an operating room during surgery? A lot more people are in there than you think. At least this portrayal of a surgery was better than what we saw in SGA's The Shrine for example. :) Also, there are minimized resources... What I personally found lacking the most were mouth masks, and hair nets etc. Not the number of people in there. However, to me, the whole surgery seemed Rush. As in, quickly get it the device out before the jump to FTL. So partly it can be blamed on this.

Overall, the surgery scene wasn't that good, but it wasn't worse than any other scene like this we've seen in stargate or on TV in general.

He was sedated. Simple as that. Quite difficult to scream in agony when coming to like that in the middle of the operation, still under the influence of the sedative. Plus, we don't know what exactly the effects of the venom are. :)

I agree. It went by fast, but I don't really understand your gripe about the last scene(s). Sure, it wasn't reality, but it wasn't worse than any other scene like this on TV or in stargate, particular in the situation where they wanted to remove this tracking device quickly.

Jper
April 10th, 2010, 07:54 AM

Technically the alien organism we saw in Air pt.3. and later on in Water, is actually a collection, group of thousands to millions of aliens.

hiro
April 10th, 2010, 07:58 AM

:lol:

jelgate
April 10th, 2010, 08:56 AM
Technically the alien organism we saw in Air pt.3. and later on in Water, is actually a collection, group of thousands to millions of aliens.

If you want to get technical from our perspective anyone not from Earth is alien

Jper
April 10th, 2010, 09:16 AM
If you want to get technical from our perspective anyone not from Earth is alien

:indeed: :D :p

The Destiny
April 10th, 2010, 09:39 AM

I was admittedly confused last episode ( space ) how the communication stone signal got transfered to one of the aliens, but when young accused Rush of keeping one of the stones with him it makes more sense. I think the aliens might have taken Rush's belonings he had with him when they brought him on the ship, one of the aliens ( the one Young's consciousness was transfered to ) possibly touched the stone, so the stone was connected with him. Whenever anyone on destiny would've tried to use a stone they would've connected to the alien's body accidentaly because the alien touched the stone and therefore was open to "stone-linking".
Rush killed the alien in question, and you can't connect to a dead person. If Rush took the stone back with him then the stone has propably been reset by Rush touching it. So now when people on destiny use stones, the stones won't connect to an alien anymore, but the other stones on earth. And that's why the attempt to connect was this time succesfull and they could get a doctor.

In short: alien touches stone, you can connect to alien now. Rush kills alien, you can't connect to alien anymore.

I find it funny the show now does what people are nagging about for quite some time "use the stones to get professionals onto destiny, to train the medic, etc.". Apparently they thought about it long before they Aired the series.

They did get quite a lot of the equipment from Icarus through the gate, and there are also "ancient crates" ( Air ( I or II? )). They are low on supplies, but they might have certain medical tools.

Maybe there was no time to make the surgical area completely sanitary, or there was no surgical area set up before this ( usually you will have a slightly longer warning than a few minutes before you have to perform surgery, this was entirely unexpected and there was no time for a completely sanitary infirmary. ) I imagine that on the whole the infirmary is kept relatively sterile. The people present were necessary for the surgery ( I'm unsure if I forgot someone else being there though, I remember TJ, scott, chloe/doctor and rush ) , scott not really though, he just squashed the transmitter.

I don't think you immediately feel that much when waking up from anasthetic. I've never experienced it personally but I assume your still a bit whacked sensory. I'd be more concerned with using the venom as anasthetic, because eventually people might develop an immunity for it. They'd have to be injected with it multiple times though, so unless they get surgery every other episode I think the chance of an immunity is relatively minor.

I saw the alien space ships ( they shoot fireballs from the orangy circles!! ) so I was happy the entire time.

Sand-bugs ( 2 episodes )
microscopic bacteria in the ice-planet water ( 1 episode )
Jungle creatures that burrow into your chest ( 1 episode )
blue epic aliens of cool ( I love their ship design, I'd be interested in their civilisation and what kind of territory they control. We even know they're coming back again, from the trailer. ) ( 2 episodes )

4 kinds of aliens, 6 shows, discounting the lucian alliance as being very alien to us as humans came from earth.

thekillman
April 10th, 2010, 09:42 AM
well you have to understand that by now, they do not just have full knowledge of all supplies, but also have a hydroponics lab where they're growing medical plants AND they have the alien venom which has more curing treats than we thought.

loved the surgeon. "welcome to destiny"

carmencatalina
April 10th, 2010, 09:52 AM
I posted this elsewhere, but for me the freakiest thing in the whole episode? Rush starting to come to while they were still wrist-deep in his chest. Vivisection! Cool. Horrifying, but cool.

I'm wondering if they have enough antibiotics - as already pointed out here, the chances that they had an actual sterile field during that operation are pretty much nil, and in the real world, dude would go septic and die pretty quick without a drain/shunt and some serious antibiotics. But that's medical reality, not TV reality.

I'm curious to see how quickly they have Rush recover from his surgery - they either have to have him laid up for a bit, or let some time elapse between now and when we see him next. Having him up and about just fine a few days later would be ridiculous.

Jper
April 10th, 2010, 09:55 AM
They did get quite a lot of the equipment from Icarus through the gate, and there are also "ancient crates" ( Air ( I or II? )). They are low on supplies, but they might have certain medical tools.

The Ancient crates are no option. They haven't been touched until now. Even more it looks like FUTURE EPISODES SPOILERS the crates will be examined in the next episode, Faith.

garhkal
April 10th, 2010, 11:31 AM
I liked TJ's line. "*smirk* Welcome to Destiny." Even better was the matter-of-factness about it :)

It reminded me of the comment to some from the MW when they went to atlantis..

Confessor Rahl
April 10th, 2010, 11:34 AM

Hah hah... this.

reddevil18
April 10th, 2010, 11:46 AM
Blah. Everything that needed to be said has been said...or typed. So, yeah...*hums* It all seemed fine to me. And I'm a doctor.
Doctor of AWESOME! Yeah, baby!
*skips off*

jimv1983
April 10th, 2010, 01:58 PM
Alien: a form of life assumed to exist outside the Earth or its atmosphere

Yea, the sand stuff would indeed be an alien.

Pretty boring aliens as far as I'm concerned.

The Destiny
April 11th, 2010, 05:01 AM
The Ancient crates are no option. They haven't been touched until now. Even more it looks like FUTURE EPISODES SPOILERS the crates will be examined in the next episode, Faith.

O, I didn't mean to suggest they had already opened those ( weird though they would wait about 7 months before opening those, for all they know there could be ancient space bikes in them and components for tofu meat. ) , but more like "they also have some ancient crates lying around when their own supplies are going low".
There is propably some interesting stuff in there, but I'm sceptical about any supplies like medicine or food, as that would be something the ancients would be bringing along themselves when they would go to destiny.

Jper
April 11th, 2010, 05:10 AM
O, I didn't mean to suggest they had already opened those ( weird though they would wait about 7 months before opening those, for all they know there could be ancient space bikes in them and components for tofu meat. ) , but more like "they also have some ancient crates lying around when their own supplies are going low".
There is propably some interesting stuff in there, but I'm sceptical about any supplies like medicine or food, as that would be something the ancients would be bringing along themselves when they would go to destiny.

7 months is way too much time. It has been confirmed that the events of season one of SGU take place over a significantly lesser time period than one year. For Divided, I'd say about 3 months have passed since their arrival on Destiny. Something like that.

It is not that weird that they haven't opened the crates. There could be all sorts of weird things in there. They'd want to avoid exposing themselves to whatever harmful things might be in one or multiple of those crates. Or maybe they have a sticker or label on the outside that reads something like: "danger" or "empty" or maybe they tried to open them afterall and they couldn't. I guess we'll find out. In Air it is discussed and agreed upon to leave the crates unopened for the time being. :)

Egle01
April 11th, 2010, 05:22 AM
How is it, after they were being blocked in the previous episode, the stones are suddenly working just in time to resolve this episode?Yeah, I'm curious, too. Maybe they just hoped the stones would connect to Earth. Perhaps Chloe was also tied to a chair, and when it was confirmed that there's no alien using her body, they untied her.

Where did they get the nasal oxygen tubes?Apparently brought through with them. They all had those fancy scissors, after all.

Couldn't they have at least TRIED to keep the surgical area sanitary? (Ie: minimize the number of people)Because all of them helped to hold Rush down, when he woke. I doubt he fought back and was against the surgery, so a plot device?

Edit: I just re-watched the episode. There was TJ for obvious reason, James was helping her. Only unnecessary person was Wray, she was just watching. Then came Scott with the other doctor. Sounds crowded, but their presence made sense.

Why wasn't Rush screaming in agony at the GAPING HOLE IN HIS CHEST WITH A TUBE STUFFED INTO IT when he woke up momentarily?They used alien venom. Alien. Venom. There's no reason to think it should work the same way as ordinary medical anesthetics.

prion
April 11th, 2010, 04:33 PM

The stargate series has never been great when it comes to medical knowledge. Lots of stuff that could have been easily googled, is not.

Yes, having unnecessary personnel in an operating theater is BAD medicine. I know TJ is not a doctor, but she knows enough about the practicalities that she should have insisted that unless you were needed, you shouldn't be there.

Yeah, if you wake up during surgery, yup, you should be in pretty bad pain, not just groggy. I'm sure it will be glossed over come the next episode (judging from how previous SG shows were written) ;)

But this was probably the best use of the stones - a practical reason - bringing in an honest-to-god physician.

I'll tell you one thing, don't watch any SG episode in which there are injuries, when you're watching with someone who work in the medical field. It's non-stop nitpicking! ;)

drake122
April 11th, 2010, 05:16 PM
Suffice it to say, the only logical conclusion of this episode would be Rush dying of a monstrous wound infection within days. You just can't do surgery like that... but I guess that's why they call the genre sci-fi, eh?

It was the same in SGA... though SG-1 was somewhat less explicit with medical science. And that was a good thing too... newer SG shows just have no respect for medicine.

So the rule of the thumb is: surgery in Stargate = epic fail.

jds1982
April 11th, 2010, 05:42 PM
Eh, it was more believable than the surgery scene in Terminator: Salvation.

prion
April 11th, 2010, 06:34 PM
Suffice it to say, the only logical conclusion of this episode would be Rush dying of a monstrous wound infection within days. You just can't do surgery like that... but I guess that's why they call the genre sci-fi, eh?

It was the same in SGA... though SG-1 was somewhat less explicit with medical science. And that was a good thing too... newer SG shows just have no respect for medicine.

So the rule of the thumb is: surgery in Stargate = epic fail.

Yes, Rush should develop some hideous alien infection and then he dies horribly, crumbling into a pile of gray-black fungus ;)

pipi
April 11th, 2010, 07:04 PM
I didn't see anything wrong with the surgery, it looked fine to me. And this is science fiction and they are breathing space air which technically doesn't contain any Earthly pathegons, nor does any of Destiny's benches or floors contain Earthly pathegons except those that clung onto the clothes and equipment of the people who travelled through the gate. And for all we know Destiny's air scrubers could act as a sanitiser too. And obviously any medical equipment they brought through the gate would already be pre-sterilized before packaging.

Pharaoh Atem
April 11th, 2010, 07:05 PM
Eh, it was more believable than the surgery scene in Terminator: Salvation.

3 billion people dead and really no place to hide. what do you expect??

escyos
April 11th, 2010, 08:47 PM
I just thought it was funny how Rush regained consciousness and still managed to be really put out with what they were doing to him!

Was he dragged to the operating area kicking and swearing? The scene changed so quickly. One minute he was really surprised that it was even suggested that the tracking device be cut out of him, and the next he was lying there being cut open! What really baffled me was the fact that there was hardly any blood, especially under the pretty rough conditions they were supposedly operating under. I guess that so called venom anesthetic/analgesic affected the blood pressure and clotting ability too. What an amazing convenient all round thing it is! :P

they werent cutting arteries or veins they were cutting into muscle to get near his heart.

carmencatalina
April 12th, 2010, 06:15 AM
they werent cutting arteries or veins they were cutting into muscle to get near his heart.

Let me assure you, the muscles and other tissues of the thoracic cavity, which is what they were cutting through to get to his heart, are full of arteries and veins (else all that tissue would die). I'm sure they were careful not to hit a major artery, but there is always blood when you cut into people. There should have been a lot more bleeding.

But then, as several other people pointed out, this is sci-fi, not House (everyone once in a while, we get a good bloody scene in House, that always makes me happy).

Still, they need to put a drain in that incision - there is no way they can just close up and be done with it.

Spimman
April 12th, 2010, 06:32 AM
I liked the fact that they brought in a real doctor with the stones. I have wondered many times why this hasn't been done before, they're always like TJ is all we got...ummm, use the stones!

These are the types of things the stones should be used for...doctors, engineers, scientists...then the people that swap bodies can visit families while important work gets done!

Jper
April 12th, 2010, 06:39 AM
I liked the fact that they brought in a real doctor with the stones. I have wondered many times why this hasn't been done before, they're always like TJ is all we got...ummm, use the stones!

These are the types of things the stones should be used for...doctors, engineers, scientists...then the people that swap bodies can visit families while important work gets done!

I agree. That was quite an improvement!!

prion
April 12th, 2010, 01:59 PM
I didn't see anything wrong with the surgery, it looked fine to me. And this is science fiction and they are breathing space air which technically doesn't contain any Earthly pathegons, nor does any of Destiny's benches or floors contain Earthly pathegons except those that clung onto the clothes and equipment of the people who travelled through the gate. And for all we know Destiny's air scrubers could act as a sanitiser too. And obviously any medical equipment they brought through the gate would already be pre-sterilized before packaging.

There are germs. Every single person carries bacteria. The medical equipment, what there was of it, was only sterilized to a degree. TJ's been using it previously but then I suppose on a spaceship you can find a way to sterilize stuff without melting it ;) As for what germs may cling to the actual ship, well, could be a lot. After all, they go off-world, walk through muck and walk back in. Nobody takes off their shoes ;)

Jper
April 12th, 2010, 02:02 PM
You're (general) overreacting. The normal floor of an operating room for example isn't sterile either and there are much more people in an operating room than you seem to think. While this scene was far from medically consistent/correct it wasn't half as bad as people seem to think it was, certainly if you consider the limited supplies and time they had to set up this make-shift operating room.

mere earthling
April 12th, 2010, 05:43 PM
I've worked in hospitals for the last 25 years and they are as clean as the how someone felt like cleaning that day, trust me.;) That being said, I thought the medical scene was pretty good for what they had and where they were. And I would've cut Rush open........LOL

carmencatalina
April 12th, 2010, 07:31 PM
I'm not saying it wasn't the best they could do - I'm just saying that they should definitely have to keep him on antibiotics, with a drain, and other details that I'm sure will not be gone into - because that was not a sterile field - no-one was wearing a mask, so everyone was breathing on the field. It isn't just a matter of the room - it is a matter of the instruments in the room (all of which are sterilized in a hospital), the people (all of whom would have scrubbed, gowned and been wearing masks), etc.

The operation might have been totally fine - but the risk of infection with a deep puncture incision of that type is high.

pipi
April 12th, 2010, 07:37 PM

I agree with using the stones to bring more qualified people onto the ship. But I can only speculate that they are limiting the skills transfer idea due to secrecy. There should be plenty of qualified personel in Stargate Command that would have gate clearance but probably not cleared to know about Destiny.

nx01a
April 12th, 2010, 07:55 PM
Was he dragged to the operating area kicking and swearing? The scene changed so quickly. One minute he was really surprised that it was even suggested that the tracking device be cut out of him, and the next he was lying there being cut open! What really baffled me was the fact that there was hardly any blood, especially under the pretty rough conditions they were supposedly operating under. I guess that so called venom anesthetic/analgesic affected the blood pressure and clotting ability too. What an amazing convenient all round thing it is! :PThank Destiny. She was planning ahead for them. :D
I realy didn't see much wrong with the medical stuff except... They built the camera to go in and look... but what did they use to go in and take the tracker out?

pipi
April 13th, 2010, 03:07 AM
Thank Destiny. She was planning ahead for them. :D
I realy didn't see much wrong with the medical stuff except... They built the camera to go in and look... but what did they use to go in and take the tracker out?

I picked up on that plot hole too. I'd figured they go with the Total Recall nose pull clamps attached to the tip of the lens, but nothing was mentioned.

prion
April 13th, 2010, 04:34 AM
You're (general) overreacting. The normal floor of an operating room for example isn't sterile either and there are much more people in an operating room than you seem to think. While this scene was far from medically consistent/correct it wasn't half as bad as people seem to think it was, certainly if you consider the limited supplies and time they had to set up this make-shift operating room.

Nobody's overreacting. We're nitpicking, something all tv viewers are entitled to do ;)

I'm not saying it wasn't the best they could do - I'm just saying that they should definitely have to keep him on antibiotics, with a drain, and other details that I'm sure will not be gone into - because that was not a sterile field - no-one was wearing a mask, so everyone was breathing on the field. It isn't just a matter of the room - it is a matter of the instruments in the room (all of which are sterilized in a hospital), the people (all of whom would have scrubbed, gowned and been wearing masks), etc.

The operation might have been totally fine - but the risk of infection with a deep puncture incision of that type is high.

Unless TJ was stockpiling antibiotics, she's probably run out by now. Field medics, which is basically what TJ is, don't lug around a ton of antibiotics or any drugs, really.

But it should be easy to use the stones to get qualified doctors to 'visit' Destiny. After all, if people on Destiny can use the stones to go back home and get drunk and have sex, surely they can send doctors/engineers, etc. to Destiny ;)

But biggest quibble is that the the writers of this show (and many others) treat head injuries like, meh, they're nothing. People are struck in head, knocked out for nearly ten minutes, get up and then go 'oh' and walk off like nothing's happened.

escyos
April 13th, 2010, 06:46 AM
Nobody's overreacting. We're nitpicking, something all tv viewers are entitled to do ;)

Unless TJ was stockpiling antibiotics, she's probably run out by now. Field medics, which is basically what TJ is, don't lug around a ton of antibiotics or any drugs, really.

But it should be easy to use the stones to get qualified doctors to 'visit' Destiny. After all, if people on Destiny can use the stones to go back home and get drunk and have sex, surely they can send doctors/engineers, etc. to Destiny ;)

But biggest quibble is that the the writers of this show (and many others) treat head injuries like, meh, they're nothing. People are struck in head, knocked out for nearly ten minutes, get up and then go 'oh' and walk off like nothing's happened.

chances are they bought through some exxpedition supplies which included medical supplies.....

jelgate
April 13th, 2010, 10:42 AM

I think it more then possible then antibodics were taken from Icarus. More then you see in a standard medical kit

prion
April 13th, 2010, 01:50 PM
The biggest problem with antibiotics - which a fan (a doctor) pointed out years ago while watching SG1 - is that antiobiotics made on Earth are for Earth-based bacteria. They would be useless against some alien bacteria. So, hope they've got a real smart doc there to create antibiotics when they come up against a new bug.

pipi
April 14th, 2010, 05:33 AM
The biggest problem with antibiotics - which a fan (a doctor) pointed out years ago while watching SG1 - is that antiobiotics made on Earth are for Earth-based bacteria. They would be useless against some alien bacteria. So, hope they've got a real smart doc there to create antibiotics when they come up against a new bug.

Good call. They'll just have to make do with the wonder drug alien venom. Seems to kill the bacteria in the water and also knock someone out.

timebandit
April 14th, 2010, 07:36 AM
yeah rush was probably just angry about how they were going to get it out being a crude surgery set up. Its alien venom so maybe rush, being rush, needed extra venom to put him out.

also, what about the blue aliens' limbs - elbow/knee down - they seem shaped like our bones [radius/ulna, tibia/fibula], but w/space between them - just found that odd anatomy [alien, sure].

GoodSmeagol
April 14th, 2010, 09:51 AM
After todays re-watch of the episode:
I would have been happier if they fibulated Rush instead of that whole cut him open ****.
a big ZAP ZAP...

Could have also created more tension,
rush: "Are you crazy! why dont you just have the guts to shoot me!"
Young: Punchs Rush out and they fibulate him...

Jper
April 14th, 2010, 12:10 PM

That's why there are broad-spectrum antibiotics. The mechanism of these AB relies even more on "destroying" (to put it simply) a key part, or function, that makes an organism a bacteria. Or even that makes an organism a pathogen for humans. While you have a point, it should be nuanced.

nx01a
April 14th, 2010, 12:27 PM
I think y'all are forgetting that they used alien venom as the antibiotic and anaesthetic. ;) Alien stuff... It's like magic. :D
Of course, one alien venom-derived medicine from one planet working against a bug from another planet is pretty much the same scenario as Earth drugs working against something from Abydos, but still... ;)

Jper
April 14th, 2010, 12:30 PM
I think y'all are forgetting that they used alien venom as the antibiotic and anaesthetic. ;) Alien stuff... It's like magic. :D
Of course, one alien venom-derived medicine from one planet working against a bug from another planet is pretty much the same scenario as Earth drugs working against something from Abydos, but still... ;)

Yeah, but I think it's very bold to say bacteria and such are unique to our planet...

prion
April 15th, 2010, 09:30 AM
That's why there are broad-spectrum antibiotics. The mechanism of these AB relies even more on "destroying" (to put it simply) a key part, or function, that makes an organism a bacteria. Or even that makes an organism a pathogen for humans. While you have a point, it should be nuanced.

Broad-spectrum may not kill a, er, whatever galaxy they're in, bug. I don't know quite all the whereabouts of this, but got an earful about it from a doctor who watched Stargate (and dont' even mention the word 'innoculation' - aieee, that's a whole 'nother nasty ball of wax!) ;)

Jper
April 15th, 2010, 10:04 AM
Broad-spectrum may not kill a, er, whatever galaxy they're in, bug. I don't know quite all the whereabouts of this, but got an earful about it from a doctor who watched Stargate (and dont' even mention the word 'innoculation' - aieee, that's a whole 'nother nasty ball of wax!) ;)

Well, I disagree, for a bacteria to be a pathogen for humans and to be compatible, there are certain components required like say the cell membrane (for example) that cannot be too different from ""our"" known bacteria. And let it be just that this is the target for broad-spectrum antibiotics. Also, I still don't believe that ""our"" bacteria here are so unique and must resemble other bacteria out there. Not to mention how on Destiny the main source for contamination would come from the other people on board who are all humans from Earth. I don't think the bacteria pose such a big risk. While it is possible, I think there's a much bigger problem with other organism out there than bacteria. And furthermore, most successful pathogens for humans, as pathogens in general, not only bacteria, have undergone thousands if not millions of years of evolution to be as successful or deadly as they are now.

Puddle-Jumper
April 15th, 2010, 10:30 AM
They took some medical supplies with them, we know that. And remember, the stones aren't working perfectly now; the connection cuts out. As for why Rush wasn't screaming... TJ said there was a local anesthetic applied, so he wouldn't have felt anything.

It wasn't just a local anesthetic, it proper knocks you out good (as a doctor would say :P) remember when Scott got it on the time planet he was knocked out for hours and hours after one bite

Also the aliens only have 1 stone that they got from Rush so they could have used 2 stones, and one would reach earth.

and finally.. he woke up but I doubt he was completely consious.. he seemed delerious and completely out of it..

I do agree with the whole sterile aspect of it.. they really could have minimized that... but on the flip side it was laparoscopic.. it wasn't so much a gaping hole as it was a small hole and laparoscopic surgery would have reduced the chances of infection considerable, plus the ships life support systems probably have some sort of air filter built into them to limit the microbes in the air, if they had sterilized all the equipment, gloves, hands and everything they used theres a good chance that he'd be fine...

garhkal
April 15th, 2010, 04:34 PM
After todays re-watch of the episode:
I would have been happier if they fibulated Rush instead of that whole cut him open ****.
a big ZAP ZAP...

Could have also created more tension,
rush: "Are you crazy! why dont you just have the guts to shoot me!"
Young: Punchs Rush out and they fibulate him...

That was used in Mi3 iirc to destroy the bomb in the main character..

carmencatalina
April 15th, 2010, 05:28 PM
but on the flip side it was laparoscopic.. it wasn't so much a gaping hole as it was a small hole and laparoscopic surgery

I have to disagree - when I had laparoscopic surgery on my knee, the incision was about 1 inch or less (I should check my scar) - the incision looked quite a bit bigger than that on camera - I would have to look again, but I would say at least 3 inches.

nx01a
April 15th, 2010, 06:39 PM
Minimally invasive, sure, but still invasive.

ariadne83
April 18th, 2010, 03:02 AM
I liked the fact that they brought in a real doctor with the stones.

That was really cool. And a nice call-back for the veteran fans, because that character (Dr. Brightman) was introduced in season 7 of SG-1.

jelgate
April 18th, 2010, 08:49 AM
That was really cool. And a nice call-back for the veteran fans, because that character (Dr. Brightman) was introduced in season 7 of SG-1.
Season 8