PDA

View Full Version : Did anyone else think Chloe was fantastic?

Replicator Todd
April 9th, 2010, 07:08 PM
I really, I mean really enjoyed Chloe in this episode than I did in the past few episodes. I really liked the dream sequence in the beginning, and her interaction with Rush. Plus she did something useful to all those complainers out there. She volunteered to swap bodies with a real doctor to remove the implant device!

Pharaoh Atem
April 9th, 2010, 07:09 PM
if she was the one that pulled out the tracking device then i would say fantastic

Skydiver
April 9th, 2010, 07:10 PM
Surprise me...if you didn't think she was fantastic, don't be mean about it.

s09119
April 9th, 2010, 07:10 PM
I really, I mean really enjoyed Chloe in this episode than I did in the past few episodes. I really liked the dream sequence in the beginning, and her interaction with Rush. Plus she did something useful to all those complainers out there. She volunteered to swap bodies with a real doctor to remove the implant device!

The opening 5 minutes were fantastic, yeah. Although I was a little disappointed she seemed so swayed by TJ's little speech... Chloe was right, after all. Young wanting to blow up the enemy ship (and possibly the Destiny, as Eli warned) was no less selfish than what Young accuses Rush of doing. And at least with Rush, he does what he does because he believes Young is honestly wrong. Young does what he does simply because he finds Rush annoying.

rsanchez
April 9th, 2010, 07:13 PM
Young does what he does simply because he finds Rush annoying.
Not so much annoying, but more of a threat. Rush knows more about the ship than anyone else. He can use that as leverage against Young and undermine his authority. As Wray said, Young is a full-bird colonel, so Young won't tolerate having a civilian give him orders, or giving orders that contradict his own.

Replicator Todd
April 9th, 2010, 07:13 PM
The opening 5 minutes were fantastic, yeah. Although I was a little disappointed she seemed so swayed by TJ's little speech... Chloe was right, after all. Young wanting to blow up the enemy ship (and possibly the Destiny, as Eli warned) was no less selfish than what Young accuses Rush of doing. And at least with Rush, he does what he does because he believes Young is honestly wrong. Young does what he does simply because he finds Rush annoying.

I as well was a bit disappointed, but I think one reason I enjoy Chloe is because she is kinda like me, I'm very easily persuaded....and can feel useless at times. :P But yes I agree, Young appears to be more selfish than Rush, and a lesser leader as well IMO.

Yoshi442
April 9th, 2010, 07:43 PM
I think it makes sense that Chloe passively sided with the civilians in this situation. Yes, she's been mad at Rush before. But the situation with Young, where he essentially left Rush to die fired her up, just like she got fired up at the possibility of one person having to sacrifice him/her self for the good of everyone else (in the premiere).

Cory Holmes
April 9th, 2010, 08:17 PM
I liked how Chloe was set up to be The Big Bad Conspirator, gettin' all distract-ey with Eli like that, and the PTBs ripped that carpet out from under us :) Nicely done, PTBs. Nicely done.

Also, I thought Chloe's arguments in this episode were accurate and to the point. She really brought a depth to this episode, especially in her argument with TJ.

Coronach
April 9th, 2010, 08:19 PM
I really enjoyed Chloe in this episode as well. Her actions were pretty significant, imo, as it's nice to see her making decisions on her own even though some of those closest to her were obviously not on the same side.

I'm going to be very happy if this spells the beginning of an interesting development for her. Even more so, however, I wouldn't mind if this sort of drove a wedge between her and Scott. It's not that I don't want them together, but I would like to see them grow as individuals while apart.

This was a good episode, and a good one for Chloe imo. :)

Replicator Todd
April 9th, 2010, 08:19 PM
It was odd seeing Chloe and TJ argue, as they are my top favorite characters. But Chloe made a valid argument.

_SocraticMethod
April 9th, 2010, 08:25 PM
I was certainly glad to see some growth in Chloe's character. I can't say I was blown away, but then again, these sorts of changes do not happen instantly. Gradual change is certainly more realistic than the (often once-a-season) epiphanies that characters in more plot-based shows. I am far more interested in Chloe's character after this episode, and am looking forward to seeing where she goes from here!

Fridgefiend
April 9th, 2010, 08:26 PM
Young wanting to blow up the enemy ship (and possibly the Destiny, as Eli warned) was no less selfish than what Young accuses Rush of doing. And at least with Rush, he does what he does because he believes Young is honestly wrong. Young does what he does simply because he finds Rush annoying.

Young wanted to blow up the ship because if he didn't they could have been destroyed or boarded or something. He didn't want the hostile aliens to escape and come back later. Sure he could have done so earlier before he knew rush was on board but at the time there was a chance of saving Chloe. Once the stones stopped working what was he supposed to do? Sit there and let the aliens just fly off to come back later when they weren't prepared? Or at least that's the way I saw it.

I kinda wished they would have given me more reason to sympathize with the civilians. It just felt to me like they had a temper tantrum and got put on time out at the end there. I did love how Young stood in the doorway and made them do a walk of shame as he watched them go though. Chloe seeming to take a fairly active role in things was interesting.

CraigMacD.
April 9th, 2010, 08:28 PM
I think Chloe has gotten a lot more to do over the last three episodes (Justice, Space, Divided), but this one really surprised me. Not so much with the amount of screen time she had, but the fact that she sided with Rush and Wray against Young, Scott and Eli. Was not expecting that at all.

It seems that the romance between her and Scott has taken a hit. Will be interesting to see if they continue on after this or breakup. She did come through in the end by volunteering to switch bodies with the doctor, but the level of trust between her and Matt will probably never be the same.

Astria
April 9th, 2010, 08:36 PM
Chloe had great character development this episode. She was not a damsel in distress this episode, and that is a great improvement. Hopefully it continues. I think that she not only hurt the relationship that she had with Scott, she also damaged her friendship with Eli. Neither of them can really trust her anymore.

Cory Holmes
April 9th, 2010, 08:38 PM
Chloe had great character development this episode. She was not a damsel in distress this episode, and that is a great improvement. Hopefully it continues. I think that she not only hurt the relationship that she had with Scott, she also damaged her friendship with Eli. Neither of them can really trust her anymore.

Give it time. I hope that this issue isn't white-washed by the next episode, but it shouldn't be dragged out for seasons either. Forgive and move on (eventually).

Astria
April 9th, 2010, 09:06 PM
Give it time. I hope that this issue isn't white-washed by the next episode, but it shouldn't be dragged out for seasons either. Forgive and move on (eventually).

Oh I agree. It has to be there, and has to have an effect on them, but it can't be an issue for too long. It would create way too much drama on the ship if it did carry on.

Daro
April 9th, 2010, 09:22 PM
Yes, Chloe was fantastic in this episode. A good recovery from the last, where she was basically (one again) a plot device rather than an active character.
I don't think she was actively trying to distract Eli when Rush made his move. She seemed surprised when she saw the computers, and called Eli over. I like how her relationship with Rush is starting to grow, I've been hoping for a while that those two would become friends of sorts. I think Rush needs someone on that ship to care about, someone who can pull him out of his shell and also play on his emotions if he's about to take a step too far. The scene where Chloe and Wray convince him to spare Scott and Young was very powerful.
I expect that Scott and Chloe are done for now. And I'm glad for that, it'll provide room for both of them to grow. I can't imagine Scott wanting to be with Chloe after she sided with Rush anyway.
Also, TJ v. Chloe was good. For the first time, I severely disliked TJ because of it.

Commander Zelix
April 9th, 2010, 09:29 PM
I don't think anybody was fantastic in this episode, but she did have some use. It was interesting she took the civilian side. Since Young was ready to blow her up one episode before. It made some sense that she took it personally.

MattSilver 3k
April 9th, 2010, 09:53 PM
Chloe was probably my shining character in this episode. She stuck to her convictions and she wasn't that apologetic about it to either Eli or Scott. Not letting herself get tied down or defined by the two guys in her life.

Good on her.

Nemises
April 9th, 2010, 10:33 PM
credit where credit is due!

she was good in this episode! and ive continuously bashed her since the pilot!!

Lahela
April 9th, 2010, 10:49 PM
Absolutely loved Chloe in this one! She took a stance, regardless of how it might affect her personally, for what she believes is right. Bravo!

Daro
April 9th, 2010, 10:58 PM
I agree. She's got a lot of strength from this episode. Right or wrong, her decision to stick to her guns despite what she might personally lose was very admirable.

PG15
April 9th, 2010, 11:00 PM
Absolutely loved Chloe in this one! She took a stance, regardless of how it might affect her personally, for what she believes is right. Bravo!

Well said! I feel the same way.

Regardless of how she's acted in the 12 episodes so far, one thing has always been consistent: Chloe is very much a person of principles (i.e. Air II, Water). I'm very glad to see that side of her emerge again tonight; hopefully this is a sign of things to come!

Col.Foley
April 9th, 2010, 11:31 PM
This was a fantastic Character episode for her one way or another. I do NOT like her descision at all....but I think it was an interesting turn for the character. She did seem a bit...robotic at times...but I have a feeling that she is meant to give that off;)

Though she was...well she is the Gaeta Character. All there is to it. She is trying to come up with a moralistic scenario and thread the needle.

Tuvok
April 10th, 2010, 01:25 AM
Not so much annoying, but more of a threat. Rush knows more about the ship than anyone else. He can use that as leverage against Young and undermine his authority. As Wray said, Young is a full-bird colonel, so Young won't tolerate having a civilian give him orders, or giving orders that contradict his own.

I think the threat part is right, the why is not. The fact that Rush would screw over anyone to get what he wants makes him a threat. That he is willing to risk other lives for that end make him a bigger threat. The fact that he is a magnificent and talented manipulator makes him the biggest threat.

jimv1983
April 10th, 2010, 01:31 AM
I was yet again disappointed with Chloe and the dream sequence at the beginning was terrible. It didn't add to the episode at all and the music did not fit within the Stargate universe at all. I would have never expected a sappy depressing song in an episode of Stargate.

Gollumpus
April 10th, 2010, 01:45 AM
Chloe is going to be the first president of the soon to be formed Intergalactic Destiny government.

CHLOE in '10!! :P

regards,
G.

Vapor
April 10th, 2010, 02:08 AM
I honestly don't know where people are getting this idea that Chloe just flat-out lied to everyone to suit some deep, dark agenda. She's not that manipulative. That's Rush's job.

The purpose of the dream sequence, for those that didn't seem to get it, was to show that she was still haunted by the event, and everything that has happened because of it. Her sense of isolation and helplessness. Particularly with respect to Young's decision to essentially blow her up, which I think makes her mindset understandable, even if I don't agree with it.

People have pretty much been calling Chloe all kinds of names since the show started, and I just find a lot of it to be absurd. The girl finally takes a stand for something she believes in, takes an active role in the story that doesn't include romance or being rescued by someone else, and yet people are still charging weapons over the fact that she kept a secret that she NEEDED to keep in order to succeed in doing all of this?

Give. me. a. break.

janus4ever
April 10th, 2010, 02:21 AM
It is obvious now Chloe is an well-educated modern person altough her bf is a soldier.

Eli disappointed me... He is a coward.

wargrafix
April 10th, 2010, 02:23 AM
She was brilliant in the episode. I like the fact she took a stand. Personally I really don't care for young and his band of morons. Spencer should not have died. Greer is a far more annoying member.

Lahela
April 10th, 2010, 02:32 AM
It is obvious now Chloe is an well-educated modern person altough her bf is a soldier.

Eli disappointed me... He is a coward.

I can't believe he didn't tell Rush about Young's incursion plan when Rush was going to boost the shields - it was just dumb luck that the guy didn't get left outside the ship. Very disappointed in Eli. :(

pipi
April 10th, 2010, 02:43 AM
She looked a couple months pregnant in the beginning when she was talking with Rush at the table. If sleeping with captain america every night doesn't knock you up, then she's definitely fantastic.

Daro
April 10th, 2010, 03:05 AM
I thought that too! But then I was like "Surely not. Please tell me that is not what's happening here."
I would hate it because it would create a very cliche'd plot device to use, and it'd force Chloe into being a protective mom for the rest of the series. On the other hand, the reason that device is chliche is because it does provide all kinds of emotionally charged motivations on the part of the parents, and other people on the ship.
And I'd be really surprised, honestly, if she didn't end up pregnant eventually. I doubt a family-sized box of Trojans were in those supply kits. There should be some real...consequence (though that's not the right word, because I wouldn't want to say that babies are punishment for having sex) for all this sexual activity aboard the ship. I don't have a problem with it, as long as they keep it real and don't focus on it constantly.

Daro
April 10th, 2010, 03:11 AM
I can't believe he didn't tell Rush about Young's incursion plan when Rush was going to boost the shields - it was just dumb luck that the guy didn't get left outside the ship. Very disappointed in Eli. :(

I like Eli. Alot. He's probably my favorite character next to Rush. But in the past three episodes, I've felt the same way. He has no ability to stand up and say 'No' when he knows he should. He knows it's wrong to spy on the crew, and still he does it. He knew, on some level or another, that Young left Rush to die. He does what's convenient, what he has to do, and tries to do as little else as possible.
I dislike too how naive he is. While I don't necessarily think he shouldn't have told Young about the implant in Rush, it didn't occur to him that Young might actually kill Rush. Nor did it occur to him that the military might cut off the air to the rebels. And then there's the whole thing in 'Water.' His morality is tied up in 'telling the truth' more than anything else. He needs to grow up, man up, and start doing what he knows is right.

reddevil18
April 10th, 2010, 04:08 AM
Fantastic? Ehh...that's pushing it. But she was good. I actually would have liked it more if she WAS distracting Eli on purpose. But she was good. And that opening sequence might just be my favorite in almost 15 years of Stargate.

Jper
April 10th, 2010, 08:16 AM
<mod snip>

You know, you could at least try to be respectful. You can disagree with someone's opinion, but no need to call anyone crazy. How do you want us take your opinion seriously like this? *shakes head disappointed*

Eli turned out to be a better bluff than I thought. :) I thought it was pretty good the way he was stalling. :)

However, I don't understand this loyalty to Young either, but I'll comment on that later on.

She looked a couple months pregnant in the beginning when she was talking with Rush at the table. If sleeping with captain america every night doesn't knock you up, then she's definitely fantastic.

It's not because they are in the same bed that they are having sex. Also, there's such a thing as birth control. There a lots of ways that Chloe could avoid getting pregnant.

FYI: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birth_control

Also, you could try to be respectful towards Scott, and just say, "Matt", "Scott", "Lt. Scott" etc. "Captain America" stereotype isn't what you want to call him. :)

I like Eli. Alot. He's probably my favorite character next to Rush. But in the past three episodes, I've felt the same way. He has no ability to stand up and say 'No' when he knows he should. He knows it's wrong to spy on the crew, and still he does it. He knew, on some level or another, that Young left Rush to die. He does what's convenient, what he has to do, and tries to do as little else as possible.
I dislike too how naive he is. While I don't necessarily think he shouldn't have told Young about the implant in Rush, it didn't occur to him that Young might actually kill Rush. Nor did it occur to him that the military might cut off the air to the rebels. And then there's the whole thing in 'Water.' His morality is tied up in 'telling the truth' more than anything else. He needs to grow up, man up, and start doing what he knows is right.

I agree with what you've said, but I think what you've described is the character of Eli. It is Eli. No one's perfect, and certainly not Eli. I find it interesting to have such character, certainly over the stereotypes of characters we had in previous stargate shows. I dislike it, too, but I don't think it's necessarily bad portrayal by David Blue, on the contrary, or a mistake of TPTB, script writers, or producers. I am not sure, if you're saying it is, or if you're just saying that you dislike his behavior.

I agree that we dislike his behavior, but as I said, I find an interesting aspect of the show. :)

reddevil18
April 10th, 2010, 08:22 AM
Also, there's such a thing as birth control. There a lots of ways that Chloe could avoid getting pregnant.Unless one of those birth control methods involves some type of alien plants, ya gotta wonder. I mean, just how many condoms did they have with them? And even if she was on the pill...When she went to Icarus, she was expecting to be back in a matter of days, weeks at the most. So, again...You have to wonder if they're not running low on that kind of stuff, especially with Park being such an avid reader.

Briangate78
April 10th, 2010, 08:24 AM

She was good, but fantastic? Not sure I would go that far. Rush, Eli, and Young were fantastic, imo.

Even TJ was fantastic for pulling out the device from Rush.

xxxevilgrinxxx
April 10th, 2010, 08:41 AM
Did anyone else think Chloe was fantastic?
in a word, yes.

Quinn Mallory
April 10th, 2010, 08:42 AM
The character of Chloe definitely become more interesting through this episode. Personally, I don't like what she did and how she did that, but I think it's pretty clear that the writers for SGU will continue to develop this potential rift between her and Scott, and more interestingly, between her and Eli due to the events of this episode.

Jper
April 10th, 2010, 09:00 AM
Unless one of those birth control methods involves some type of alien plants, ya gotta wonder. I mean, just how many condoms did they have with them? And even if she was on the pill...When she went to Icarus, she was expecting to be back in a matter of days, weeks at the most. So, again...You have to wonder if they're not running low on that kind of stuff, especially with Park being such an avid reader.

There are other much used birth control methods except condoms and the pill. Also, I don't think they'd have sex if not protected. Chloe seems to hold close to principals, and this seems one of them. And I'm sure Matt doesn't want another child does he? He already has one. Or maybe I'm just expecting too much of the characters.

Kaiphantom
April 10th, 2010, 09:22 AM
There are other much used birth control methods except condoms and the pill. Also, I don't think they'd have sex if not protected. Chloe seems to hold close to principals, and this seems one of them. And I'm sure Matt doesn't want another child does he? He already has one. Or maybe I'm just expecting too much of the characters.

I think you're expecting too much. Scott has already shown that he can't hold himself back, and Chloe did approach him. A pregnancy is inevitable, unless she can't have kids, or the aliens did something to her. As for her being pregnant already, well, a woman can know within a couple of weeks whether she is pregnant or not, without any kit. It all depends on how well they know their own body and how attentive they are to signs.

Still, this is an interesting turn for Chloe. On one hand, she manipulated Eli, a sweet guy who trusted her and was still there for her despite her picking Scott. On the other hand, she took a decision that put her at odds with Scott. Whether it was because she was finally growing as a character on her own, or whether she figured she could just soothe everything over with Scott with sex later, is unknown. If they are back together after this, I'll know which one it is. But I'll echo the thoughts spoken by others, that she needs to get away from Scott to grow as her own character. Right now, she's just fulfilling the role of sexy woman in a sexy relationship. I wonder if the producers forced this aspect to get more viewers and ratings?

Lastly, Scott is Captain America. It's a throwback to the idea that, when given a choice, a shallower woman will pick muscles and strength over intelligence in their men. It's part of why I feel SGU is so realistic; Chloe, a young and attractive woman, made the choice the vast majority of women make in their younger years: went with the muscle guy instead of the brains guy. And then we wonder why people are getting dumber and dumber as time goes on...

Commander Zelix
April 10th, 2010, 09:27 AM
There are other much used birth control methods except condoms and the pill. Also, I don't think they'd have sex if not protected.
I think they must use the calendar. :)

xxxevilgrinxxx
April 10th, 2010, 09:34 AM
*whispers* papercuts!
apologies go out, I couldn't help it :b

thekillman
April 10th, 2010, 09:40 AM
i think Chloe at least didn't jeopardise the crew, and she helped a bit. so there's much to do but it's better from where we started

Jper
April 10th, 2010, 09:45 AM
Don't take the picking-apart personal, it's just an easier way for me to respond. :) ;)

I think you're expecting too much. Scott has already shown that he can't hold himself back,

There was one incident when he was 16, and he was pretty broken up over it, and the recent discovery that he actually had a son, didn't help. So I'd say you're staking too much on that. I'd say that changed him, and might make him more comfortable now. Otherwise he'd be an idiot who doesn't learn from his mistakes. So far we've seen nothing to indicate this.

and Chloe did approach him.

When they thought they were going to die within a day or so. Situation is completely different now.

A pregnancy is inevitable, unless she can't have kids, or the aliens did something to her. As for her being pregnant already, well, a woman can know within a couple of weeks whether she is pregnant or not, without any kit. It all depends on how well they know their own body and how attentive they are to signs.

There are lots of IUD/IUCD or long-lasting hormonal birth control options commonly used to prevent this. Also, you're still assuming they are having sex, or that they don't use Birth Control.

Still, this is an interesting turn for Chloe. On one hand, she manipulated Eli, a sweet guy who trusted her

And how did she do that?

and was still there for her despite her picking Scott. On the other hand, she took a decision that put her at odds with Scott. Whether it was because she was finally growing as a character on her own, or whether she figured she could just soothe everything over with Scott with sex later, is unknown.

Or maybe she was just following on her own opinions and principles and wasn't blatantly following Scott. She stood on her own. Also, you're staking too much on this relationship they have. I never said it was a good one.

If they are back together after this, I'll know which one it is.

:rolleyes:

You know, there are other things in live than sex.

But I'll echo the thoughts spoken by others, that she needs to get away from Scott to grow as her own character.

No, she doesn't they aren't mutually exclusive. She can perfectly grow as a character and have a relationship with Scott. On the contrary, finally the relationship has the chance to mature, and to become something realistic. And realistically, if they can't make it work, they'll go their separate ways. Happens all the time.

Right now, she's just fulfilling the role of sexy woman in a sexy relationship. I wonder if the producers forced this aspect to get more viewers and ratings?

I disagree. She is not fulfilling that role. It's not because she has good looks, that there isn't more to her character. Last three episodes have proven this.

Skydiver
April 10th, 2010, 10:02 AM
Folks

You can disagree with others without disparaging their opinions. Here's a hint for those that might find it hard to figure out, 'are you crazy' is inappropriate.

And remember, these are fictional characters on a TV show. it is not the end of the world if someone disagrees with you. Nor is it vital that you defend your opinion or convince the rest of the world to see things your way. Let's keep things in perspective please

reddevil18
April 10th, 2010, 10:14 AM
There are other much used birth control methods except condoms and the pill. So what are some methods available to them? Seriously, I can't think of anything.

thekillman
April 10th, 2010, 10:22 AM
sperm killing gel, for instance.

but that's not the topix

Jper
April 10th, 2010, 10:24 AM
So what are some methods available to them? Seriously, I can't think of anything.

Well, okay, first off, I'm not a native English speaker, I live in Belgium and my education is mostly a mix between Dutch and English terms, so that might be a problem, but let me post this link (again):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birth_control

Availability and common use may of course differ between my country and the US, but one example I can give you is an implant like Implanon:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Implanon

Which is (one of) the most effective Birth Control measures available now, but rather new.

More common, and much older, is the IUD:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intrauterine_device
Commonly used, and effective for five years. Efficient, too. :)

And there's still the fact that no one knows that they are having unsafe/unprotected sex.

jelgate
April 10th, 2010, 10:27 AM
Well, okay, first off, I'm not a native English speaker, I live in Belgium and my education is mostly a mix between Dutch and English terms, so that might be a problem, but let me post this link (again):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birth_control

Availability and common use may of course differ between my country and the US, but one example I can give you is an implant like Implanon:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Implanon

Which is (one of) the most effective Birth Control measures available now, but rather new.

More common, and much older, is the IUD:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intrauterine_device
Commonly used, and effective for five years. Efficient, too. :)

And there's still the fact that no one knows that they are having unsafe/unprotected sex.

I don't think any of those are really available to the Destiny crew

Jper
April 10th, 2010, 10:28 AM
I don't think any of those are really available to the Destiny crew

Chloe could easily have an IUD. Let's say she got it a year ago. Four years to go still. :)

carmencatalina
April 10th, 2010, 10:32 AM
There are lots of IUD/IUCD or long-lasting hormonal birth control options commonly used to prevent this. Also, you're still assuming they are having sex, or that they don't use Birth Control.

It is pretty common for people who are going to be in the field for extended periods of time (I'm a biologist) to use Norplant or other similar birth control devices. I'm thinking some of the women who went to the Icarus base thought along the same lines - maybe Chloe. She's got maybe 5 years of coverage in that case.

Skydiver
April 10th, 2010, 10:35 AM
let's get this back to the general topic of chloe's actions please

jelgate
April 10th, 2010, 10:36 AM
Chloe could easily have an IUD. Let's say she got it a year ago. Four years to go still. :)

She could but did she. Seems like a weird thing to take to a one day trip to Icarus

carmencatalina
April 10th, 2010, 10:47 AM
She could but did she. Seems like a weird thing to take to a one day trip to Icarus

You don't "take" an IUD with you - it is placed in you by your ob/gyn - and then stays there for about 5 years. You are all guys, aren't you? I keep getting confused, because you have female avatars, so I think jelgate, Jper, etc. are women, but I think I'm talking to men.

Just trust me, there are lots of commonly used methods of birth control Chloe could be on, that she doesn't need to "take with her", that would keep her from getting pregnant for years.

Jper
April 10th, 2010, 10:51 AM

Jelgate, this has nothing to do with her trip to Icarus, Destiny or whatever. She could just have it, as a general precaution, lots of women have it. It's a safe and easy Birth Control method. Actually I think she has. She was in a steady relationship before, before ending up on Destiny and she travels a lot. An IUD seems like a good solution for her, I'd recommend it as one of the possibilities, if she came to me asking for Birth Control. :) Of course the pill is another solution. And as carmen said, Norplant seems like a good option to for other people on mission, like for example Lt. James.

I don't see why you find this so unbelievable or are so against the possibility.

let's get this back to the general topic of chloe's actions please

Isn't Chloe having or not having sex (protected or unprotected) an action?

Anyways, Chloe's scene with TJ was awesome!

ETA//

You don't "take" an IUD with you - it is placed in you by your ob/gyn - and then stays there for about 5 years.

That's correct.

You are all guys, aren't you? I keep getting confused, because you have female avatars, so I think jelgate, Jper, etc. are women, but I think I'm talking to men.

Yes we are. :)

Just trust me, there are lots of commonly used methods of birth control Chloe could be on, that she doesn't need to "take with her", that would keep her from getting pregnant for years.

Exactly my point.

Also, I'm male, but that doesn't (have to) mean anything. I think I know just as much about an IUD than you, not to be rude or anything. ;) I think. :)

Sp!der
April 10th, 2010, 10:54 AM
meh, good old chloe. still do not like her, but disappointed in tj, although she is still hot.

xxxevilgrinxxx
April 10th, 2010, 10:58 AM
to get back to Chloe, one of the things that really stood out for me in this episode was that she seemed to be without fear. As she was walking around on the ship on her own (it had an 'at night' feel to me, which is nuts I know, because it's always night, right?), it reminded me of River Tam doing the same sort of thing in Firefly. She didn't go to Scott. She didn't go to Eli. She went to the one person that she shared an experience with, and she didn't go in weakness. There was a very pulledtogetherness and willfullness in her character; which is something that I started to notice during "Justice" when she stood up to Wray. Chloe doesn't seem like a 'side' to me at all.

carmencatalina
April 10th, 2010, 11:04 AM
Yes we are. :)

Mentally readjusting! All done now.

Also, I'm male, but that doesn't (have to) mean anything. I think I know just as much about an IUD than you, not to be rude or anything. ;) I think. :)

Oh, and good point, that's true. I was being a bit of a sexist there, and you are right to call me on it!

Now, switching back to the topic of the thread - I really did like Chloe here, and this episode confirms for me what I've been hoping - that Chloe's character is one we will see a lot of development for. I was VERY happy she didn't automatically side with Scott.

Kaiphantom
April 10th, 2010, 11:09 AM
No offense taken, whichever is easiest. =)

There was one incident when he was 16, and he was pretty broken up over it, and the recent discovery that he actually had a son, didn't help. So I'd say you're staking too much on that. I'd say that changed him, and might make him more comfortable now. Otherwise he'd be an idiot who doesn't learn from his mistakes. So far we've seen nothing to indicate this.

When they thought they were going to die within a day or so. Situation is completely different now.

It would be too "in your face" for them to completely show everytime they did have sex, so you're right from one technical point of view. They may have only had sex once. But really? I'm sorry, but if you honestly think they aren't continuing to have sex, you might be a bit more naive than Eli. It's the more logical conclusion to draw at this point in time.

Provided they have access to them, which I'm assuming birth control wasn't one of the things brought with them. There is the rhythm method, if Chloe knows her cycle well enough. That would allow for a few days of mostly risk-free sex, but no method is 100%.

And how did she do that?

The scene early on when she wanted to see the alien ship, to focus him on it instead of realizing what was going on with the computers.

Or maybe she was just following on her own opinions and principles and wasn't blatantly following Scott. She stood on her own. Also, you're staking too much on this relationship they have. I never said it was a good one.

I do partially agree with you, that she took this stand on her principles, and I do give her props for that. Maybe I wasn't clear about that. It was the second, and most major time that I felt her character was worthwhile; I hope it continues. I am just of the opinion that it won't come up as much as long as she is with Scott.

You know, there are other things in live than sex.

There are. But not to someone for who can treat sex as a casual thing. Scott so happens to be that way. After all, the fact that Scott and James seem to have no relationship, means that incident in the closet was just a physical thing, with not much emotion or relationship foundation behind it. There's an old saying: "Men trade love for sex; women trade sex for love." There is truth in that, so from Scott's perspective, I'd have a real hard time trusting someone enough to continue with them, after such a betrayal that nearly took my life. I'll admit that he has some feelings for her, but if he goes right back to her afterward with no real communication or hints about how they are easing back into it, then it's mainly because he has decided to keep trading love for sex. In short, wanting to keep his bedwarmer.

Yes, it's a bit crude; some of humanity likes to romanticize our base biological functions, but I'm a bit more pragmatic with respect to them.

No, she doesn't they aren't mutually exclusive. She can perfectly grow as a character and have a relationship with Scott. On the contrary, finally the relationship has the chance to mature, and to become something realistic. And realistically, if they can't make it work, they'll go their separate ways. Happens all the time.

In one respect, you're right; they aren't mutually exclusive concepts. But that's only for someone who is completely logical, and Scott and Chloe are far more emotional to consider them. There is plenty of evidence in history, of bad relationships that harm one or both, and the only way they become better is to separate. Based on my analysis of human relationships and logical deductions, I have tentatively concluded their relationship is harming both of them as individuals. So it's only natural they'd improve as characters once apart.

I disagree. She is not fulfilling that role. It's not because she has good looks, that there isn't more to her character. Last three episodes have proven this.

"What this show needs is a sexy alien!" Sound familiar? I would highly suggest not underestimating the appeal of sex on TV. It has been proven to boost ratings. Yes, there is more to her character, but primarily the sexy aspect has been used. Chloe in the shower, anyone? Watching her get dressed? Watching her boink the hot guy?

The trial in Justice gave me my first real glimpse into her inner character, and develop her other than the sex symbol. Her taking a stand here gave me the second. I hold high hopes they continue to go with this angle, over the sex angle. I'd rather see her as a strong, intelligent young woman, then just the character that is used for sex appeal.

xxxevilgrinxxx
April 10th, 2010, 11:18 AM
There are. But not to someone for who can treat sex as a casual thing.

...But that's only for someone who is completely logical, and Scott and Chloe are far more emotional to consider them.....
I'm going to have to disagree on the first point. Liking casual sex does not equal believing that there is nothing else in life other than sex. Neither of the characters is painted in such a 2 dimensional way. As for the second point, no human is completely logical; that's part of our charm :D As for Chloe, or Scott for that matter, being too emotional? We saw Chloe as an emotional mess because she just saw her father die in front of her eyes. Add to that that she's a hell of a way away from the life she knew. Finding solace in an another human being doesn't remove you from the logic pool for all time :D

carmencatalina
April 10th, 2010, 11:23 AM
Provided they have access to them, which I'm assuming birth control wasn't one of the things brought with them. There is the rhythm method, if Chloe knows her cycle well enough. That would allow for a few days of mostly risk-free sex, but no method is 100%.

Hate to beat the dead horse yet again, but you don't have to "bring them with you" - the types of birth control we are talking about is something you have done whilst at your doctor, maybe even before you embark on sexual activity. For example, before going off to college or graduate school. And then you have birth control for about 5 years - you don't need to bring anything, and you don't need to do anything.

evilgrin says: Liking casual sex does not equal believing that there is nothing else in life other than sex.

This? This is so very true.

Confessor Rahl
April 10th, 2010, 11:24 AM
I have never seen Chloe's character as anything other than irritating. I just simply do not like her. I didn't find her any more aggravating in this episode than others, because she really didn't stand out too much. However, I find that when she does, she is whiny, and in the case of last week's episode, irrational (lets walk up and stare into a bright hole being cut out by alien invaders).

One of my least favorite characters in the franchise.

Jper
April 10th, 2010, 11:33 AM
It would be too "in your face" for them to completely show everytime they did have sex,

I agree.

so you're right from one technical point of view. They may have only had sex once. But really? I'm sorry, but if you honestly think they aren't continuing to have sex, you might be a bit more naive than Eli. It's the more logical conclusion to draw at this point in time.

Honestly, I don't think they would have unsafe sex. I'm guessing if they aren't protected they aren't having sex (you know, there are other things... but we should keep in mind that this is a PG forum :S ;) ;) ) and if they are protected, well then there's nothing to stop them. Oh to be young and in love. :D

Do you even know what an IUD is? Otherwise, maybe should read the post above. Seems like a strange thing to say... And I don't consider that second option Birth Control. ;)

The scene early on when she wanted to see the alien ship, to focus him on it instead of realizing what was going on with the computers.

I disagree, but that's maybe more an opinion or a POV. I don't think she was distracting them on purpose. Maybe time will tell or give us more info. :) But for now I'm willing to give her the benefit of the doubt. However, is that really betrayal? meehh, difficult issue. Could go either way. :S

I do partially agree with you, that she took this stand on her principles, and I do give her props for that. Maybe I wasn't clear about that. It was the second, and most major time that I felt her character was worthwhile; I hope it continues. I am just of the opinion that it won't come up as much as long as she is with Scott.

I don't know. I think Chloe will do what she believes in, if she's with or without Scott doesn't really matter that much. That's where the relationship between them is very not matured.

There are. But not to someone for who can treat sex as a casual thing. Scott so happens to be that way. After all, the fact that Scott and James seem to have no relationship, means that incident in the closet was just a physical thing, with not much emotion or relationship foundation behind it. There's an old saying: "Men trade love for sex; women trade sex for love." There is truth in that, so from Scott's perspective, I'd have a real hard time trusting someone enough to continue with them, after such a betrayal that nearly took my life. I'll admit that he has some feelings for her, but if he goes right back to her afterward with no real communication or hints about how they are easing back into it, then it's mainly because he has decided to keep trading love for sex. In short, wanting to keep his bedwarmer.

I'm sorry I don't get the point, what are we/you talking about here?

In one respect, you're right; they aren't mutually exclusive concepts. But that's only for someone who is completely logical, and Scott and Chloe are far more emotional to consider them. There is plenty of evidence in history, of bad relationships that harm one or both, and the only way they become better is to separate. Based on my analysis of human relationships and logical deductions, I have tentatively concluded their relationship is harming both of them as individuals. So it's only natural they'd improve as characters once apart.

You have a point, but I am not yet convinced of either. IMHO we need more info on their relationship before concluding something like this.

"What this show needs is a sexy alien!" Sound familiar? I would highly suggest not underestimating the appeal of sex on TV. It has been proven to boost ratings. Yes, there is more to her character, but primarily the sexy aspect has been used. Chloe in the shower, anyone? Watching her get dressed? Watching her boink the hot guy?

You're talking about the first episodes, I am talking about the last three episodes. I find it perfectly acceptable and I actually hope for it, that she can and will be both. She can be a "sex appeal" but she can also be more, as she has proven in the last three episodes.

The trial in Justice gave me my first real glimpse into her inner character, and develop her other than the sex symbol. Her taking a stand here gave me the second. I hold high hopes they continue to go with this angle, over the sex angle. I'd rather see her as a strong, intelligent young woman, then just the character that is used for sex appeal.

I agree, but I think we need both, in balance. :)

Confessor Rahl
April 10th, 2010, 11:36 AM
Hah hah hah... wait a minute... People are arguing about whether or not Chloe and Scott are having sex?! To those who think they are not: Are you watching the show?

Skydiver
April 10th, 2010, 11:48 AM
Folks

Unless Chloe's pregnancy profalactic items was a part of last night's show, move on. You want to talk about what she did in Divided, please do. You want to ramble on about birth control, then we either start a new thread or we change the title of this one. Cause the topic that was started was about her and what she did in Divided...not for all of you to debate about birth control.

garhkal
April 10th, 2010, 11:55 AM
I agree. She's got a lot of strength from this episode. Right or wrong, her decision to stick to her guns despite what she might personally lose was very admirable.

She finally showed some of the grit her dad had.

BTW clearly lying to Eli, really pissed me off too. Eli considers her a very good friend, he was generally affected by this knowledge.

Being she seemed honestly surprised they staged the coup right there, when she knew one would happen at some time, it was to my POV that she did NOT lie to eli.

Very true. He seemed to not want to step up and show he has any backbone, but i did like his telling of young off in last weeks ep.

Unless one of those birth control methods involves some type of alien plants, ya gotta wonder. I mean, just how many condoms did they have with them? And even if she was on the pill...When she went to Icarus, she was expecting to be back in a matter of days, weeks at the most. So, again...You have to wonder if they're not running low on that kind of stuff, especially with Park being such an avid reader.

What of that deprevare injection (or what ever itis called) that last for six months???

Coronach
April 10th, 2010, 12:41 PM
Being she seemed honestly surprised they staged the coup right there, when she knew one would happen at some time, it was to my POV that she did NOT lie to eli.

I totally agree. Whether or not Eli was convinced or not, I definitely did not get the impression that Chloe was lying.

Lahela
April 10th, 2010, 12:46 PM
I totally agree. Whether or not Eli was convinced or not, I definitely did not get the impression that Chloe was lying.

She seemed surprised by what she saw on the screen - if she was covering for Rush and distracting Eli, I would imagine she wouldn't bring it to Eli's attention. I don't think she lied to him, but I don't think she saw any point in trying to convince him either. A rock and a hard place.

Kaiphantom
April 10th, 2010, 01:29 PM
I would make the point that this thread title is "Did anyone else think Chloe was fantastic?" Within the bounds of that statement, unless the thread title is modified, I feel I am free to offer my own opinion on the subject, with the evidence that allows me to draw my conclusions; though I will try to wrap up and minimize certain topics.

Honestly, I don't think they would have unsafe sex. I'm guessing if they aren't protected they aren't having sex (you know, there are other things... but we should keep in mind that this is a PG forum :S ;) ;) ) and if they are protected, well then there's nothing to stop them. Oh to be young and in love. :D

Do you even know what an IUD is? Otherwise, maybe should read the post above. Seems like a strange thing to say... And I don't consider that second option Birth Control. ;)

I know the topic, but I have to say this last part, because I think it sums things up:

One one hand, you want us to believe they aren't having unsafe sex... despite the fact that we don't know because it hasn't been shown. On the other, you want us to believe she has an IUD... despite the fact that we don't know because it hasn't been shown. You can't have it both ways. Since neither one of us knows for sure, the question cannot be conclusively answered, so i suggest we drop this topic for now, until such a point as she actually becomes pregnant (if indeed she does).

I disagree, but that's maybe more an opinion or a POV. I don't think she was distracting them on purpose. Maybe time will tell or give us more info. :) But for now I'm willing to give her the benefit of the doubt. However, is that really betrayal? meehh, difficult issue. Could go either way. :S

I don't know if it's betrayal, but Eli clearly thinks she distracted him on purpose, and you know how he feels about it: hurt, betrayed, used, etc. One could argue it was innocent, but human beings are mostly emotional, even though I prefer logic myself. Despite whatever the truth is, Eli felt hurt by Chloe. And I do find it odd that she suddenly wanted to see the alien ship, despite her strong dislike of them.

I don't know. I think Chloe will do what she believes in, if she's with or without Scott doesn't really matter that much. That's where the relationship between them is very not matured.

I certainly hope she stands up and does what she believes in, regardless of Scott; I would like her character more, as I have at the two points I have mentioned thus far.

I'm sorry I don't get the point, what are we/you talking about here?

I have made the point of fact that Scott is capable of casual sex without emotions attached. I'm a guy, and I know other guys, and know the truth behind stereotypes. There are two main groups of casual sex guy: those who just want it, and are willing to give up almost everything for it. And those who know they can get any woman they want, and thus will sleep with any woman they like. The third group is the more emotional kind, that only sleeps with those they really care about. If Scott is in this last group, he will be hurt by what Chloe has done, after he was about to risk his life for her in the previous episode; thus, things won't be the same between them. If Scott is in one of the first two groups, she'll be back in his bed.

You have a point, but I am not yet convinced of either. IMHO we need more info on their relationship before concluding something like this.

I will agree to this. The next few episodes will hopefully allow me to see where things lay with them. My conclusions thus far are only tentative, and obviously subject to change based up on new information.

You're talking about the first episodes, I am talking about the last three episodes. I find it perfectly acceptable and I actually hope for it, that she can and will be both. She can be a "sex appeal" but she can also be more, as she has proven in the last three episodes.

In quite a few episodes, other than the first three, we've seen Chloe in bed with Scott. As a matter of fact, we just saw her in bed with him this episode. It's a standard tactic of TV to up the sexy factor, by showing an attractive woman in bed with a hunky guy; the implication is that they are sleeping together, with all that it implies. And I have been in a relationship with a woman where we slept together, but did not go so far as sex, so I know how that goes.

I agree, but I think we need both, in balance. :)

I would disagree; there is much sexualizing in TV, especially in places that doesn't need it. It's generally a cheap tactic used to raise ratings by appealing to baser instincts in males (and some females). We had our sexy Alien in SG-1... Anise, was it? That Tok'ra? She last, what... 3 episodes? it was an admitted deliberate attempt to bring in sex appeal. Guys are used all the time as characters, without a hint of sexualizing; but it seems almost every woman has to be thrown into a relationship with guys, as if they can't be complete without it. While they may have more to their character, it's almost like they can't be complete without showing their sexuality on screen.

For once, I'd like a strong woman who gets by on the strength of her character, rather than sacrificing some of that for sex appeal. It's a big reason why I like Wray more; even though she had that moment with her lesbian lover, she's mostly been portrayed as an interesting character with more angles to her. Sex is a very small part of it. Chloe? Not so much.

Confessor Rahl
April 10th, 2010, 01:39 PM

I'm also in this camp. She did seem genuinely surprised at what was happening.

jimv1983
April 10th, 2010, 02:27 PM

Eli is my favorite character. In fact he is the only one I really care about. For one thing he has been kept in the dark about many things. In "Divided" he had no idea what was going on. I also think Eli is not taking sides like everyone else and I'm happy about that. I'm sick of the whole military vs civilian thing going on. Eli only told Young about the transmitter because it was a threat to every ones safety. If Young did kill Rush because of the transmitter than so be it. Rush knew about the transmitter and was not going to tell Young. Rush put everyone in danger because he was only thinking about himself. Eli's morality is tied up in 'telling the truth'. That's good. At least some one is telling the truth. Young, Wray, Rush, Chloe and many others sure the hell aren't telling the truth.

jimv1983
April 10th, 2010, 02:33 PM
And that opening sequence might just be my favorite in almost 15 years of Stargate.

Do you really mean that? Please tell me you don't and that you are just trying to get a reaction out of me? The first 3 minutes of the episode had me thinking, "What is this crap?" and "What the hell have they done to Stargate?" I almost stopped watching the episode because of that scene. I decided to continue on and wish I hadn't. I could have used that time to watch a classic episode of SG-1.

I just have to ask. What other shows do you watch?

jimv1983
April 10th, 2010, 03:19 PM
I think you're expecting too much. Scott has already shown that he can't hold himself back, and Chloe did approach him. A pregnancy is inevitable, unless she can't have kids, or the aliens did something to her. As for her being pregnant already, well, a woman can know within a couple of weeks whether she is pregnant or not, without any kit. It all depends on how well they know their own body and how attentive they are to signs.

Still, this is an interesting turn for Chloe. On one hand, she manipulated Eli, a sweet guy who trusted her and was still there for her despite her picking Scott. On the other hand, she took a decision that put her at odds with Scott. Whether it was because she was finally growing as a character on her own, or whether she figured she could just soothe everything over with Scott with sex later, is unknown. If they are back together after this, I'll know which one it is. But I'll echo the thoughts spoken by others, that she needs to get away from Scott to grow as her own character. Right now, she's just fulfilling the role of sexy woman in a sexy relationship. I wonder if the producers forced this aspect to get more viewers and ratings?

Lastly, Scott is Captain America. It's a throwback to the idea that, when given a choice, a shallower woman will pick muscles and strength over intelligence in their men. It's part of why I feel SGU is so realistic; Chloe, a young and attractive woman, made the choice the vast majority of women make in their younger years: went with the muscle guy instead of the brains guy. And then we wonder why people are getting dumber and dumber as time goes on...

Your entire comment is about dramatic relationship crap. Who's having sex who? Is Chloe pregnant? Will Chloe get pregnant? Does Chloe have birth control? What kind of birth control? Are you serious?

SG-1 and SGA had 15 good seasons without focusing on things like this. Sure they had their emotional/dramatic moments but nowhere near the level of SGU.

I expect to see these types of discussion on forum of some teen drama or soap opera but not Stargate.

When I say Stargate has become an overly dramatic show that borders on being a soap opera it is for this very reason.

The focus should be on going through the Stargate, exploring new planets, finding new technology, encountering aliens, learning about the alienís culture, learning about the Ancients, explanations about the technology they have found and doing it as a team. Thatís what Stargate is about. It should not be about who is or isnít having sex, getting pregnant or in a relationship who. These are types of things you get from a soap opera which is why I have compared the two.

The fact that Kaiphantom's post is as long as it is without once referencing anything remotely related to anything sci-fi shows the problem with the show.

In case someone throws the Carter/OíNeill thing at me(someone has before) that was built up a little at a time over 8 seasons and was a secondary plot that was always in the background and NEVER because a focus of the show. There was less Jack and Sam romance (including the part with Pete and the woman Jack was seeing) in all 8 seasons of SG-1(only including the seasons RDA was a regular cast member) than there has been in 1 episode of SGU.

jelgate
April 10th, 2010, 03:31 PM
Your entire comment is about dramatic relationship crap. Who's having sex who? Is Chloe pregnant? Will Chloe get pregnant? Does Chloe have birth control? What kind of birth control? Are you serious?

SG-1 and SGA had 15 good seasons without focusing on things like this. Sure they had their emotional/dramatic moments but nowhere near the level of SGU.

I expect to see these types of discussion on forum of some teen drama or soap opera but not Stargate.

When I say Stargate has become an overly dramatic show that borders on being a soap opera it is for this very reason.

The focus should be on going through the Stargate, exploring new planets, finding new technology, encountering aliens, learning about the alienís culture, learning about the Ancients, explanations about the technology they have found and doing it as a team. Thatís what Stargate is about. It should not be about who is or isnít having sex, getting pregnant or in a relationship who. These are types of things you get from a soap opera which is why I have compared the two.

The fact that Kaiphantom's post is as long as it is without once referencing anything remotely related to anything sci-fi shows the problem with the show.

In case someone throws the Carter/OíNeill thing at me(someone has before) that was built up a little at a time over 8 seasons and was a secondary plot that was always in the background and NEVER because a focus of the show. There was less Jack and Sam romance (including the part with Pete and the woman Jack was seeing) in all 8 seasons of SG-1(only including the seasons RDA was a regular cast member) than there has been in 1 episode of SGU.
This thread is your opinion on Chloe in Divided not to list reasons you dislike SGU

carmencatalina
April 10th, 2010, 03:33 PM
Although, if you want to post about the use of birth control in SG1 and SGA versus BSG and SGU, this might be the right thread after all!

(Just kidding!)

Chloe rocks. There, I said it, I think I'm moving solidly into the pro-Chloe camp. I just want her to dump Scott and be more independent - then she is my girl all the way.

jelgate
April 10th, 2010, 03:37 PM
Although, if you want to post about the use of birth control in SG1 and SGA versus BSG and SGU, this might be the right thread after all!

(Just kidding!)

Chloe rocks. There, I said it, I think I'm moving solidly into the pro-Chloe camp. I just want her to dump Scott and be more independent - then she is my girl all the way.
I think after Divided the Chloe and Scott will be dying. Although that won't stop the shippers:P

Jper
April 10th, 2010, 04:13 PM
She seemed surprised by what she saw on the screen - if she was covering for Rush and distracting Eli, I would imagine she wouldn't bring it to Eli's attention. I don't think she lied to him, but I don't think she saw any point in trying to convince him either. A rock and a hard place.

I agree.

so i suggest we drop this topic for now, until such a point as she actually becomes pregnant (if indeed she does).

:)

I don't know if it's betrayal, but Eli clearly thinks she distracted him on purpose, and you know how he feels about it: hurt, betrayed, used, etc. One could argue it was innocent, but human beings are mostly emotional, even though I prefer logic myself. Despite whatever the truth is, Eli felt hurt by Chloe. And I do find it odd that she suddenly wanted to see the alien ship, despite her strong dislike of them.

I think we need to wait for further development. Immediate confrontation in the corridor between Eli and Chloe wouldn't have been inappropriate. It wasn't the time nor place. Also, see Lahela's comment above. :)

I have made the point of fact that Scott is capable of casual sex without emotions attached. I'm a guy, and I know other guys, and know the truth behind stereotypes. There are two main groups of casual sex guy: those who just want it, and are willing to give up almost everything for it. And those who know they can get any woman they want, and thus will sleep with any woman they like. The third group is the more emotional kind, that only sleeps with those they really care about. If Scott is in this last group, he will be hurt by what Chloe has done, after he was about to risk his life for her in the previous episode; thus, things won't be the same between them. If Scott is in one of the first two groups, she'll be back in his bed.

Ah!!!, then he's in the third group, if you want to put him in a group. Although I think he might be in the first group as well. :S Point is, for me, the Chloe-Matt relationship is great, or has the potential to be great, but it's immature, and started out as a comfort relationship as proven in Light and Life, no? The episode with TJ=Psych Evaluator. :) Now there are two ways to go in my opinion with some greyish zone in the middle. Or they could actually develop this to be a realistic, mature relationship or they could not. They greyish zone includes all possibilities as to breaking-up, separating, taking a step back, going back to friends, friends with benefits, whatever... However, for me the important thing is, the growth of the relationship and then the portrayal of that relationship on screen. :) Just as it is for the characters individually. :)

This thread is your opinion on Chloe in Divided not to list reasons you dislike SGU

And Jel strikes again. :D Go Jel. :)

pipi
April 11th, 2010, 04:41 AM
On topic: Chloe has demonstrated that she can contribute positively to the Destiny crew instead of being perceived as an useless politician's daughter. But that still does not classify her as fantastic, that only takes her usefullness rank from negative back to neutral. She redeemed herself. Now she needs to do more to make herself more valuable than other members of the ship.

Vapor
April 11th, 2010, 04:52 AM
Wha... Why does she need to be more valuable than other members on the ship? Why can't she just contribute where she can and work at being more efficient in her own right?

Phenom
April 11th, 2010, 05:46 AM
I loved the acting, and enjoyed the dream sequence and other Chloments in the ep. But I must admit I certainly didn't finish watching it and think that she has shown her value on the ship. That doesn't mean I don't enjoy the character and the like, I just don't think that much practical value was shown by her. But as i read above, why should there be? She can just be there can't she and show what a person with practical Earth bound talents might be like in an environment where those talents mean squat.

Petra
April 11th, 2010, 06:02 AM

Well, I wouldn't go as far as to call her "fantastic", mainly because I strongly disagreed with her decisions and was very disappointed in the choices she made. She came across as very confused, which is understandable, I guess, given what she's been through, but I can't say I'm happy about it.

However, I love how she was used in this episode. Chloe was my biggest disappointment of the series, I'd hoped she'd be a very unique character but instead she seemed to be used only as a love interest/damsel in distress/plot device. "Justice" gave me hope there's more to her than that, "Space" took that hope away and "Divided" returned it. I may not like Chloe's actions, but I applaud her growth and development. She finally starts to be a 3-dimensional character, as ambiguous and interesting as the others. The mere fact that I feel strongly about something she did speaks volumes :) I loved this episode, I loved (to be annoyed at) Chloe in it and I sincerly hope the writers will keep up great work.

mjwalshe
April 11th, 2010, 07:26 AM
It is pretty common for people who are going to be in the field for extended periods of time (I'm a biologist) to use Norplant or other similar birth control devices. I'm thinking some of the women who went to the Icarus base thought along the same lines - maybe Chloe. She's got maybe 5 years of coverage in that case.

well i could see it for the permenant types but wasnt Chloe just there for a day trip with her Dad

FallenAngelII
April 11th, 2010, 09:31 AM
She wasn't fantastic. She was good. She did nothing wrong in the entire episode and the things she did were good, were written well and she grew a lot as a character. That said, she wasn't fantastic. We think she was fantastic because she's barely done much of note up until now when compared to the rest of the main cast. She just started being a character in her own right, as well-written as the rest of the cast. Which, of course, is a good thing.

garhkal
April 11th, 2010, 03:15 PM

That is a good point. If she WAS in on it, why did she bring the fact Rush was doing what he was doing to Eli's attention.

reddevil18
April 11th, 2010, 03:35 PM
Do you really mean that? Please tell me you don't and that you are just trying to get a reaction out of me?

I just have to ask. What other shows do you watch?Yeah, I was just sayin' that to get a rise outta ya. Because, honestly, I just sit around here, thinkin' of ways to mess with ya. Cause that's just the way I roll, eh?

As for what other shows I watch...Well, currently airing, let me think. I download and watch when I have the time. House, 24, United States of Tara, Castle, Lost, V, Fringe(though I've yet to start on season 2), Bones(though I'm behind and the Avatar plug episode was so friggin bad that I lost interest after that), 30 Rock, The Office, Supernatural, Spartacus. Now on hiatus, but I watch Dexter, which is probably my favorite show. Eureka and Sanctuary, but I haven't watched most of season 2 of Sanctuary. I also watch Survivor and The Amazing Race. Oh, and Top Chef and Project Runway(can't help myself). And The Pacific right now, even though it's nowhere near as good as Band Of Brothers. Those are it, I suppose. Except that I'm in the middle of The Wire right now.

I watch all kinds of shows, for different reasons. Some I find barely watchable, like V or Spartacus(though that's improving), but I keep watching, in hopes that it'll get better. Unlike you and SGU however, I don't waste my time complaining about it over and over again on a message board.

Alarria
April 11th, 2010, 05:50 PM
I was yet again disappointed with Chloe and the dream sequence at the beginning was terrible. It didn't add to the episode at all and the music did not fit within the Stargate universe at all. I would have never expected a sappy depressing song in an episode of Stargate.

Agree 100%.

pipi
April 11th, 2010, 08:14 PM
Wha... Why does she need to be more valuable than other members on the ship? Why can't she just contribute where she can and work at being more efficient in her own right?

There maybe instances in SGU where they may need to sacrifice someone for the greater good. It is not enough to simply just get by on Destiny. Everything is not fair and equal opportunity. People will die, people will get left behind. It is a survival situation. For her own long term self presevation she needs to hold more power and demonstrate leadership qualities that both civilian and military are willing to follow. If it wasn't for the communication stones it would have been more chaotic and uncivilized.

jimv1983
April 11th, 2010, 09:15 PM
Yeah, I was just sayin' that to get a rise outta ya. Because, honestly, I just sit around here, thinkin' of ways to mess with ya. Cause that's just the way I roll, eh?

As for what other shows I watch...Well, currently airing, let me think. I download and watch when I have the time. House, 24, United States of Tara, Castle, Lost, V, Fringe(though I've yet to start on season 2), Bones(though I'm behind and the Avatar plug episode was so friggin bad that I lost interest after that), 30 Rock, The Office, Supernatural, Spartacus. Now on hiatus, but I watch Dexter, which is probably my favorite show. Eureka and Sanctuary, but I haven't watched most of season 2 of Sanctuary. I also watch Survivor and The Amazing Race. Oh, and Top Chef and Project Runway(can't help myself). And The Pacific right now, even though it's nowhere near as good as Band Of Brothers. Those are it, I suppose. Except that I'm in the middle of The Wire right now.

I watch all kinds of shows, for different reasons. Some I find barely watchable, like V or Spartacus(though that's improving), but I keep watching, in hopes that it'll get better. Unlike you and SGU however, I don't waste my time complaining about it over and over again on a message board.

Wow, I wouldn't have thought we would have agreed on any shows. I also watch House(highly predictable most of the time but still fun), United States of Tara, V, Fringe(Season 2 is really good), Eureka and Sanctuary(The Season 2 finale was great), The Pacific(I'm a few behind. Can't compare to Band of Brothers...never had a chance to watch that) and I'm gonna start Lost on Netflix streaming soon.

Can't stand the other ones. Bones because I can't stand David Boreanaz.

You should also maybe check out Flash Forward.

jimv1983
April 11th, 2010, 09:23 PM
Chloe has demonstrated that she can contribute positively to the Destiny crew instead of being perceived as an useless politician's daughter.

She redeemed herself. Now she needs to do more to make herself more valuable than other members of the ship.

Really? She did? I must have missed something.

yanna
April 11th, 2010, 11:01 PM
I had no use for her before this episode but after Divided she rose to my second favourite character after Rush. She was decisive, intelligent and compassionate and loved her as a co-conspirator. I think the actress has shown growth too.

EllieVee
April 12th, 2010, 01:51 AM
Consider the possibility that she's been written to have growth. They all have.

Phenom
April 12th, 2010, 02:58 AM
Really? She did? I must have missed something.

I agree mate. Sure I enjoyed Chloe in this ep as I always do but can't say she really affected things a great deal.

Jper
April 12th, 2010, 03:38 AM
Consider the possibility that she's been written to have growth. They all have.

:)

reddevil18
April 12th, 2010, 04:05 AM
You should also maybe check out Flash Forward.Considering that it has a snowball's chance in hell of being renewed, I think I'll pass. I don't wanna invest my time in something that's going nowhere. Maybe if they give it a proper finale, I'll check it out further down the road.

natyanayaki
April 12th, 2010, 06:40 PM
I didn't love her, but for the first time this season I didn't want to reach into my screen and strangle her (the character of course) every time she was on screen, most of time yes...but I was better able to tolerate Chloe this episode. :)

nx01a
April 12th, 2010, 07:07 PM
Chloe disappointed me.
I can certainly understand her turning to Rush after the experience they shared but turning on her BFF and her BF and effectively planning to force them to submit... She obviously has no desire for those relationships to continue. From her nightmares, she's obviously traumatized by her... 15 minute abduction and bath. and doesn't think that talking about it will help. Foolish girl. Well... Traumatized girl.
I just wonder how long this cold Chloe who buries her emotions will continue before she cracks.

SupremeLegate
April 12th, 2010, 07:17 PM
Chloe disappointed me.
I can certainly understand her turning to Rush after the experience they shared but turning on her BFF and her BF and effectively planning to force them to submit... She obviously has no desire for those relationships to continue. From her nightmares, she's obviously traumatized by her... 15 minute abduction and bath. and doesn't think that talking about it will help. Foolish girl. Well... Traumatized girl.
I just wonder how long this cold Chloe who buries her emotions will continue before she cracks.

Some time in Season Two.

nx01a
April 12th, 2010, 07:26 PM
She seemed to want to be in control of herself, esp. in asking Eli if he thought she was a prisoner. Maybe she wants to be safe and, since Young and Scott don't make her feel safe anymore, she's doing whatever Rush says since he's the one who saved her the last time.

EllieVee
April 13th, 2010, 05:27 AM
Or maybe she's entirely capable of thinking for herself and chose the side she wanted to be on because that's the side she believes in.

Lahela
April 13th, 2010, 05:31 AM
Or maybe she's entirely capable of thinking for herself and chose the side she wanted to be on because that's the side she believes in.

That's the way I read it. She seemed confident in her decision when she confronted both Eli and TJ.

Jper
April 13th, 2010, 05:32 AM

Yeah, maybe... ;) ;) :D :D but wait who would believe that this is actually possible for a woman/girl to look good (you know "be hot" and have "sex appeal") and have brains too. Surely such a thing isn't possible... :p

Disclaimer: Persons who do not get the irony, please do not respond...

xxxevilgrinxxx
April 13th, 2010, 07:26 AM
Chloe disappointed me.

Yeah, maybe... ;) ;) :D :D but wait who would believe that this is actually possible for a woman/girl to look good (you know "be hot" and have "sex appeal") and have brains too. Surely such a thing isn't possible... :p

or all three :)
she's a person that hops rock to rock because she chooses to. She likes the sex, the comfort, and is smart enough to make her own decisions. :D

nx01a
April 13th, 2010, 11:20 AM
You make her sound like one of those 'smart' skanks on Sex and the City. :D

@EllieVee... I saw Chloe able to think for herself in 'Justice' and I loved it. That's not the same person I saw in 'Divided'. The nightmares speak to her emotional state, as does turning on those closest to her on the ship. Whatever is driving her, it's emotional, not higher reasoning. She may use higher reasoning to justify it, but she's just clinging to anything that makes her feel safe: Rush [and Wray's little band of Merrymen]. Well, that's how it looks to me. :D

blackluster
April 13th, 2010, 04:21 PM
I found Chloe's display in this ep was quite enjoyable. As others have mentioned, being resolute in her decisions and striking up an unusual understanding with Rush made her very interesting to watch. I hope that the repercussions of the events in this ep persist especially in Chloe's case, since I think it would make her much more engaging than she has been till now. I'd especially like to see how long her connection with Rush can last, since it makes some interesting waves in the personal lives of Eli and Scott, who might benefit from it as story characters.

EllieVee
April 13th, 2010, 04:32 PM
Bearing in mind, the coup would have been in the planning for some time and before Rush's return, I get the impression from the transcript that Chloe would have been in on it but her main motivation afterwards was the safety that Rush's plan to strengthen the shields would provide.

nx01a
April 13th, 2010, 04:38 PM
I get the feeling that Wray would have been skeptical about letting Chloe in on the coup before the kidnapping because of her BF and her BFF. After her kidnapping and bath, traumatized and clean Chloe started looking to Rush for support and I think that's when she was told about the planned coup.

pipi
April 14th, 2010, 05:28 AM

Yes it is possible! Applications to be my girlfriend are open, please use the above criteria. :)

Jper
April 14th, 2010, 12:27 PM
Yes it is possible! Applications to be my girlfriend are open, please use the above criteria. :)

Well, you take the applications from persons who live in Australia, I'll take the applications from persons who live in Europe. :)

Daro
April 15th, 2010, 01:57 AM
I get the feeling that Wray would have been skeptical about letting Chloe in on the coup before the kidnapping because of her BF and her BFF. After her kidnapping and bath, traumatized and clean Chloe started looking to Rush for support and I think that's when she was told about the planned coup.

Ok, I think that your charactarization of what Chloe went through is a little harsh. We don't know what was done to her, not yet. I don't care if it lasted fifteen minutes or fifteen hours. Fifteen minutes is plenty of time to torture a prisoner into having lasting nightmares and even PTSD in some circumstances. And I'm willing to think that essentially having your mind raped for information (we saw it was painful just to use the neural interface, Young fell in the floor screaming) is a horror that will give you nightmares for a long time. Even if being abducted by aliens and then waking up to Rush standing over you wouldn't have been enough. ;)

nx01a
April 15th, 2010, 12:22 PM
It seemed horribly brief and terribly cleansing to me on the first watch of 'Space'. And she did get a new beach outfit out of it ;)
Seriously though... Seeing her drastic turn around in 'Divided', I realized exactly how much it affected her. And I've armchair diagnosed her as having PTSD in the general discussion thread. Or earlier in this one. Well, somewhere. :D

spinny magee
April 16th, 2010, 07:06 AM
Now I really hate Chloe because she is just proving again how much she isn't contributing.

Down with Wray